Blizzard Devs Mess With Felicia Day in WoW

Blizzard Devs Mess With Felicia Day in WoW

What do you do when web-video personality Jace Hall comes to check out your office? If you're PC developer Blizzard, apparently you take the opportunity to f*ck with geek heartthrob Felicia Day.

The above video was actually first posted almost a year ago, in December '08, but it's been making the rounds recently after Blizzard promoted it to fansites as a "mockumentary" - and it's hilarious, so if you watched it a year ago, no shame in watching again.

In the video, producer Jace Hall visits the Blizzard HQ at some point around the launch of Wrath of the Lich King - the press release says before, but how else would someone playing on the live servers be in Howling Fjord? - and interviews WoW masterminds Tom Chilton, Jeff Kaplan, and J. Allen Brack, who all get the opportunity to show off their comedic talents and poke fun at their own game (and now I'm sad that we won't actually be getting a pink unicorn mount, but oh well). It's funny stuff, especially if you hang out in Azeroth more than occasionally.

But the real highlight of the video comes when Hall asks Chilton if he could use his GM powers to get revenge on Felicia Day, nerd sweetheart star of rival web series The Guild - and avid WoW player - for rubbing it in Hall's face that her show was more popular than his. I'm not going to spoil what actually happens, because it's something that really needs to be seen un-spoiled. Even if it was faked or arranged beforehand (which is certainly the case), it's still pretty darn funny.

Who says game developers don't have senses of humor?

(Via World of Raids)

Yeah, who says game developers don't have a sense of humor? I've never heard anyone say that before.

CantFaketheFunk:

Activision, that's who.

These nerd sub-culture jokes go right over my head.

I love the kill counter.

Felicia Day, nerd sweetheart

You know, I don't think she's that pretty.

Amnestic:
I love the kill counter.

I could ban you for that.

randommaster:

CantFaketheFunk:

Activision, that's who.

+1 Zing!

Even though I don't play WoW, I found that pretty funny.

CantFaketheFunk:

Amnestic:
I love the kill counter.

Perhaps I should rephrase to avoid banhammers. I don't think she's as pretty as people make her out to be. That's not to say she isn't attractive, just that often people seem to lavish her with praises which - in my eyes - are sometimes unwarranted.

Please don't ban me! I have two children and a cute puppy.

Amnestic:
I love the kill counter.

Neither do I. But Red Hair like hers gains alot of attention strangely.

Incredibly funny video though Ill have to watch more of his stuff.

CantFaketheFunk:

Amnestic:
I love the kill counter.

i think you should, that is a very grave and brazen statement.

i will at least say at least he wasn't GM Gabriel

Ah, if only they could use their GM powers to banhammer anyone who makes a Dirge, Anal or Saurfang joke...

Damn I really wanna be a GM now xD

Amnestic:
I love the kill counter.

Sentiment echoed.

CantFaketheFunk:
Who says game developers don't encourage ganking?

There ya go, fixed that up for the benefit of clarification.

That was funny.

Especially the whole hard on for the alliance bit.

Lord_Panzer:

randommaster:

CantFaketheFunk:

Activision, that's who.

+1 Zing!

Even though I don't play WoW, I found that pretty funny.

You're not playing WoW? You're missing out on all the Murlock awesomeness.

Haha, that was awesome! World of Warcraft is really at it's best when people are doing some delicious griefing.

Also, Steed is the fucking man!

I hope i don´t get in trouble for saying this.But i lol'd.

I watched a few episodes of "The Guild". A fairly poor attempt at a nerdy sitcom that could only exist on the internet. And Day's character is by far the least interesting. But they do get points for nailing portrayals of stereotypical WoW player archetypes. The woman who neglects her kids for WoW is particularly amusing.

If i were a GM in a game i would do stuff liek that all the time lol.

Donnyp:

And then swiftly get fired. Ace plan!

[GM] Dave would do better! http://bannable-offenses.blogspot.com/

Amnestic:

Donnyp:

You think someone a GM would get fired cause he was having fun? Hey im gonna spawn a monster in this area.....Someone kills it so be it. I've heard of GM's doing Worse and still having Jobs.

Hahahaha that was bloody awesome! Those guys at Blizz sure know how to have fun with what they do :-P

btw post number "1337" = elite ;-D

CantFaketheFunk:

Amnestic:
I love the kill counter.

yeah, im with mr. chalk on this one...

by the way, doesn't the "pink unicorn" look an awful lot like an unfinished version of Quel'dorei Warsteed?

Donnyp:

Amnestic:

Donnyp:

You think someone a GM would get fired cause he was having fun? Hey im gonna spawn a monster in this area.....Someone kills it so be it. I've heard of GM's doing Worse and still having Jobs.

also, that was Tom Chilton, leader of production design. I think he and ghostcrawler are on the same level of power.

Donnyp:

Amnestic:

Donnyp:

Frankly, if GM's went round spawning random monster's to attack town's, to just randomly attack player's, ramp up the difficulty on certain instances at will, WoW would be a much funner game.

Archemetis:
Damn I really wanna be a GM now xD

No kidding! That is the coolest job EVAR!

benbenthegamerman:

Donnyp:

Amnestic:

Donnyp:

also, that was Tom Chilton, leader of production design. I think he and ghostcrawler are on the same level of power.

??? I don't play WoW or Follow Blizzards Employment and such but by his title i know hes got some sway because of the Leader Of Production.

Baron Khaine:

Donnyp:

Amnestic:

Donnyp:

Frankly, if GM's went round spawning random monster's to attack town's, to just randomly attack player's, ramp up the difficulty on certain instances at will, WoW would be a much funner game.

I used to play P-Servers that did that. a MS server they would randomly spawn enemies with like 400bil health lol.

Pool Felicia Day. I wish I had GM powers in an MMO like that...

I think Felicia Day is extremely cute, and yes the red hair helps a lot.

I gon't get the steed shirt/sauce joke. Apart from that, it was quite amusing.

Torque669:

Amnestic:
I love the kill counter.

Neither do I. But Red Hair like hers gains alot of attention strangely.

I quite like red hair on a girl. I don't see why so many people don't like it....

CantFaketheFunk:

Amnestic:
I love the kill counter.

I don't even know who she is. Is that an offense?

johnx61:
I watched a few episodes of "The Guild". A fairly poor attempt at a nerdy sitcom that could only exist on the internet. And Day's character is by far the least interesting. But they do get points for nailing portrayals of stereotypical WoW player archetypes. The woman who neglects her kids for WoW is particularly amusing.

I didn't like it either,j and i watched the whole first season, waiting for it to 'get good,' which it never did. It wasn't even funny in a meta-geek sense, it was just... lame. The jokes they crack are as nerdy as nerdy can get, and it's just very pathetic.

Felicia Day garners the geek attention she does because she is the epitome of a dream geek girl. She's kind of cute, but it's not the type of attractiveness that's usually commanded by a pop culture icon, so the fawning she receives has always felt a bit strange to me.

I thought she said she stopped playing...maybe that's just old information.

Amnestic:
I love the kill counter.

She plays wow, that's were most of her attraction comes from.

I mean I wouldn't kick her out of bed or nothing, just saying I dream of goddesses at night not mere mortals

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here