2K Games Reveals BioShock 2 Box Art

Pages 1 2 NEXT

2K Games Reveals BioShock 2 Box Art

Not to be outdone by yesterday's reveal of the incredibly dull Mass Effect 2 box art, 2K Games has taken the wraps off the cover art for BioShock 2 and it's not really a whole lot better.

Unveiled yesterday, the Mass Effect 2 box art stirred up quite a reaction among the readers of The Escapist. Many people criticized it for being bland and flat, while they themselves were criticized for apparently suggesting that the lame-o cover would somehow reflect on the game inside. Depending on your perspective on these things, hilarity may or may not have ensued.

In any event, it must be the week for that sort of thing because hot on the heels of Angry Shepard and the Magic Melon-Head comes the cover for BioShock 2, featuring a creepy-looking Little Sister cowering behind a menacing, drill-wielding Big Daddy.

What's that you say? No, I'm not describing the cover from the original BioShock. Well, yes, I am, but that's also what you're going to see on the front of the sequel: The helmet is different, Daddy isn't quite so grossly misproportioned and this time around the BioShock logo has barnacles on it (and a 2, of course) but other than that, we're looking at pretty much a do-over.

It's not quite as bad as Mass Effect 2, no, it's just more of the same. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but more of the same on the box makes me wonder if it's not just more of the same in the box; BioShock was a good game but if I'm going to cough up for a sequel, I'm generally looking for something more than just a gussied-up rerun.

Of course, opinions on box art, like every other kind of art, will vary dramatically; I tend to prefer the minimalist approach (although Valve's decision to make the Orange Box look like a technical manual didn't really turn my crank) while others would rather see something more clearly and directly connected to the game itself or, in many cases, just don't care. And at the end of the day, no, it doesn't really matter; if it's an either/or question, I'll take a great game over a great box any day. But wouldn't it be nice to see publishers put a little more effort into it once in awhile?

Source: Joystiq, with thanks to TheNamlessGuy for the tip.

Looks pretty good.

Well, compared to the Mass Effect 2 one, this is frickin' Picasso!

Also, my first published tip, yay

Very much like the first game's box art...which isn't a bad thing...

Last time the head was to big and now it's to small. They just can't get it right.

It'll be to do with brand identity, you'll look at that and instantly know it's Bioshock.

Details people, details. Are you gonna buy a book (or a game for this matter) for his cover?

Looks fine to me. And that's not just in comparison to Mass Effect 2's cover, either.

AgentChunk:
Last time the head was to big and now it's to small. They just can't get it right.

I think it'd look better without the little headpiece on the top, just chop it off. Having those two larger lights slightly lower down would do for the 'head' making the little bit on top entirely unnecessary.

Doesn't look bad I suppose but...well, my Bioshock case was the nice metal one anyway which was just the logo (one on the left, without the stupid Windows stuff on). If they brought out another one like that I wouldn't object. This case is average, doesn't really tickle my fancy.

I got the limited edition for the original, and the steel book was simple but still great :P what is it with all these box arts not being as good as they could be

katsabas:
Details people, details. Are you gonna buy a book (or a game for this matter) for his cover?

Well... Yes.

GamesB2:
I got the limited edition for the original, and the steel book was simple but still great :P what is it with all these box arts not being as good as they could be

Well they just seem a little bland to me, portraying the main characters in a not-too creative manner. Sure it's pretty cool, but definitely lacks the "wow" factor, if you ask me.

Damn cool

cant wait

Whatever happened to "never judge a book by it's cover"?

ME2's cover is pretty crap, so does that now mean you expect the game to be?

I don't see why they didn't stick with that first image of Shepard climbing over some bitchez, much more cool looking.

Well, its nice. But doesn't really show the fact that you are the big daddy now. It needs a defining characteristic that shows that its you. If that is even you on the cover.

Woodsey:

I don't see why they didn't stick with that first image of Shepard climbing over some bitchez, much more cool looking.

We're not judging the book, we're just judging the cover. :P

Wow, looks really nice. Don't put it next to ME 2's box, or it will seem even crappier.

that looks really neat! im pretty excited for this game, but i need to play the first one.

my favorite box art still remains Titan Quest tho.

Assassinator:

GamesB2:

Well they just seem a little bland to me, portraying the main characters in a not-too creative manner. Sure it's pretty cool, but definitely lacks the "wow" factor, if you ask me.

Yeah they just like the screenshots we've all seen a million times over. Something really simple like mass effects first cover is more effective than this.

I actually really like it. Granted it's no masterpiece but hey? Could be worse.

Slight let down after the more iconic bioshock box art. Ah well, a cover doesn't make a game. Otherwise I'd have got Halo Wars by now.

I think the problem with this box art is there's no feeling in the perspective of the image.
If we're looking at the Bioshock 1 box art, its as if the Big Daddy just ran into the picture, and you're expecting to hear him go "BWWWUUUURRRRRUUUHHH" (or whatever Big Daddies sound like). He was a threat, he was big, he was scary. When I saw that, I thought "Oh crap, he's gonna tackle me into a wall and beat the snot out of me."
It was as if the guy holding the camera just got knocked down on the floor and is now staring up at what we're seeing on the box art.

On the Bioshock 2 box art, however, its more like the Big Daddy's just sort of... there. He's standing. He's looking into the camera and going "Yup. That's me. Hello folks. Oh, I have a Little Sister on my back. Say hi to the man with the camera, honey." There's no DRAMA! There's nothing in the image going "WOAH! HOLY SHIT!"

Not bad, actually. The broken glass is a nice touch, though maybe having the Big Sister in there somewhere might have been good. Not so generic as the ME2 art, for sure...

Ok, ME2 I could get behind. That was criminally bad. This doesn't really warrent a news poet, though.

in have no problem with this box art

So what if its the same <.<

Last i recall Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2 had pretty much the same box art too :P

I myself like that cover, especially the confident look of the little sister that big daddy is gonna whoop ass.
Andy, your cane to shake at the kids playing on your lawn is in the mail.

CantFaketheFunk:

Woodsey:

Alas:

"Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but more of the same on the box makes me wonder if it's not just more of the same in the box; BioShock was a good game but if I'm going to cough up for a sequel, I'm generally looking for something more than just a gussied-up rerun."

It looks like box art.
Not much else.
Maybe upper-middle class box art, at best.

Add lightning bolts, there is nothing in the universe that does not go well with lightening bolts (the same theory applies to pump-action shotguns).

I like it. not going into why, i just do.

Well it beats the ME2 box art but this one is not overly impressive either, it really does look like they just changed a few things from the original one and were done with it.
I'm assuming that is what the Big Daddy you play as looks like, it would be hard to explain that being anything but prototype armor, too deferent from the regular Big Daddy suit... pretty badass.

Woodsey:

CantFaketheFunk:

Alas:

"Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but more of the same on the box makes me wonder if it's not just more of the same in the box; BioShock was a good game but if I'm going to cough up for a sequel, I'm generally looking for something more than just a gussied-up rerun."

Sorry, but I think you've got it wrong here. It's a reaction driven by a dull, uninspired repeat-a-cover; what is that, if not a comment on the cover itself? It may be less important in this era of heavy sequelization but I stand by the comment I made in the Mass Effect 2 thread: Covers are important, and they have an impact.

I will admit it is like the first one, but that wasn't bad and neither is this.

I quite like it actually, although the little sister's mouth is a little odd...

Is it me, or does the big daddy have a sword? Look closely at the right of him.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here