Your Gun is Flaccid

Your Gun is Flaccid

The gun is a powerful instrument: with one pull of the trigger, it can end a life, push one onto the path of revenge, or wreak justice. But in videogames, the gun is inert, flaccid; nothing more than a few pretty pixels painted together to create another object within the environment.

In Issue 171 of The Escapist, the iconography and symbolism of the gun is examined. In movies, they are often the focal point of a shot, emphasized by the camera angles and lighting. However, in a videogame, they're rarely more than a tool to kill enemy NPCs:

For many, this is the purpose of games - to provide a concrete experience grounded in gameplay mechanics, as opposed to an exercise in symbolism and iconography. But in putting this goal before all else, videogames concede their ability to produce images of consequence. In a vain attempt to tack meaning onto an otherwise meaningless image, developers have placed an inordinate emphasis on technical details.

What have developers sacrificed in their attempts to create the biggest, deadliest guns? Tom Endo argues in From the Barrel of a Gun that the gun's portrayal in videogames is vastly different than it's portrayal in other media, and asks the question: What do videogames lose when the gun is nothing more than a tool of destruction? Read From the Barrel of a Gun here, and share your own opinions on guns in videogames.

Hey! Your gun is flaccid... meanie...

And I might read this... might.

Is this implying that in other media guns are erect?

Well, if you want to make a gun look deadly. Make it weak. There is nothing dramatic about shooting someone and they drop dead. Screams of agony and grown men crying for their mothers because they have been shot. That's a gun who is not flaccid.
A bullet should mean imminent death. No matter if you bleed out over time or not, not even if your friend plays as a medic. One shot one kill.

Only if you play with it too much and it goes off in your hair. I do have to agree that guns lose a lot of their significance in most game experiences of mine.

Tell me, why is an article from over fifty issues ago suddenly given a promotional newspost? Does this happen more often? I never really got the purpose of the newsposts that were about Escapist-issue articles, anyway.

LTK_70:
Tell me, why is an article from over fifty issues ago suddenly given a promotional newspost? Does this happen more often? I never really got the purpose of the newsposts that were about Escapist-issue articles, anyway.

Yeah I'm getting tired of these too. I assume it's just a way to recycle content. "New" articles = More clicks = more money. Not sure about the frequency. It might just be on slow news days, but I think I've seen this a couple times a week for a few months now? Sometimes there have been several in quick succession.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here