Noby Noby Boy Hits Jupiter

Noby Noby Boy Hits Jupiter

Players of Noby Noby Boy, the PSN game from the creator of Katamari Damacy, have managed to unlock Jupiter, with a little help from Namco.

There are a lot of things that are unusual about Noby Noby Boy, but possibly the most notable is the ability for players of the game to communally unlock new levels by submitting their combined scores and stretching the character of GIRL until she reaches new planets

This weekend, having been to the Moon and the red planet Mars, GIRL has stretched all the way to Jupiter, unlocking yet another new area for players to, well, to do whatever it is you do in Noby Noby Boy. The efforts of players were aided by Namco adding a random multiplier to everyone's score, as the company is seemingly keen for eveyone to enjoy the Jovian experience.

Source: Joystiq

SirBryghtside:
Hooray!

I wonder what they'll do when they reach Pluto...

Nah this is hardcore, they don't mess around with dwarf planets

SirBryghtside:
Hooray!

It isn't a planet anymore, duh!

OT: Ok... what is the point of this game anyways?

SirBryghtside:
Hooray!

Freeze?

OT: Took them quite a while to get there.

What the hell do you do in the game, anyways?

I have no idea what it is I just saw, but god dammit, I want to be a part of it.

TheNamlessGuy:

SirBryghtside:
Hooray!

It isn't a planet anymore, duh!

... rrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!
Science be damned! Some labcoats were seeking recognition and/or publicity, and this was the first crap they could come up with. Pluto IS a damned planet, no matter what anyone says!! [/rant]

IdealistCommi:

You stretch yourself... No really that's what you do.
The games only replay, or even buying value is for the unusualness of it all.

OT: Took them long enough, no thanks to me. :D

Sonicron:
-snip-

It's a meteor that got stuck in our Sun's orbit.
It's too small to be classified as a planet

Hmm, I wonder what would happen if we pass pluto.

SirBryghtside:
Hooray!

I'm more worried about what will happen when they reach Uranus.
Sorry, it had to be said.

Frank_Sinatra_:

IdealistCommi:

o_0
That seems kinda awesome.
NOW I WANT

pretty cool but its not a new idea look at battlefield 1943 they did a community challenge like this for coral sea.

dang i may have to go play some battlefield now.

Frank_Sinatra_:

IdealistCommi:

That and it costs about as much as a pint of beer, with hours more value and no hangover afterwards!

Though you may foam at the mouth slightly from the colors...

I am unfamiliar with the thing that I am seeing

It's basically a 3d game of 'Snake'.

I wish they could've started with the planet closest to the sun and worked outward. It feels like we're missing planets. Plus, that could explain Boy's origin. I just played jupiter and got my ass tangled up for about ten minutes. I guess it was a success then?

Is the Iphone version still planned one wonders....

This game is only £3.45 and it's so fun.

TheNamlessGuy:

Sonicron:
-snip-

It's a meteor that got stuck in our Sun's orbit.
It's too small to be classified as a planet

It's not that either. A meteor is a meteoroid that has entered the earths atmosphere. Aside from that reason it is a part of the Kuiper belt, and is a little smaller then the moon. There was always a lot of debate about it being a planet. When they started to discover a large number of objects out here, and discovered at least two that are bigger then Pluto it became time to decide if they where going to at a bunch of new planets or reclassify Pluto.

The Kuiper belt is a lot like the asteroid belt that lies between mars and Jupiter. Except much larger, and holds many times more matter. The kuiper belt objects are also mainly ice, where the asteroid belt objects are mainly rock and metal. There is a dwarf planet in the asteroid belt as well.

So Namco cheated for them to reach Jupiter! Lucky players I guess.

Still... weird game. Just weird.

This must be posted for Noby Noby Boy justice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKW0gLHneuI (couldn't get the embed working :/)
(Game looks awesome, I think I'm going to buy it for sheer randomness value xD)

Finally! I've been waiting for Jupiter for so long! This has got to be the best game on the PSN. Ever.

Cool. But it's kind of a cop-out since they added multipliers - the players didn't make it to Jupiter themselves, not really.

it's kinda funny how the simplest of games are the funnest of games.

ThaBenMan:
Cool. But it's kind of a cop-out since they added multipliers - the players didn't make it to Jupiter themselves, not really.

The game is either not as popular as Namco expected, or they underestimated the distance players would get when they combine their scores (Edit: Or a combination of both). In either case, I think Namco had to step-in to push players to all the planets. At the very least I know they did with the Moon, I hadn't heard about when they reached Mars though.

Normally I would know what's happening, but right now, I have no fucking clue.

TheNamlessGuy:

OT: Ok... what is the point of this game anyways?

There has to be one?

OP: I contributed to that, but haven't played since September. Guess I have a reason to go back now!

I really like the idea of comunity unlockables. I would like to see it more often.

What's with using a song from the Master and Commander Soundtrack?

knight of zendikar:
pretty cool but its not a new idea look at battlefield 1943 they did a community challenge like this for coral sea.

dang i may have to go play some battlefield now.

Noby Noby Boy was out before BF 1943.

IdealistCommi:

I was wondering the same thing but the first question I have to ask is "What the hell was I just watching?"

So this is what its like to play videogames on LSD....fascinating.

Nivag:
What's with using a song from the Master and Commander Soundtrack?

That music's been around a long time before Master and Commander, friend. A long time.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.