Edge Returns to the App Store as Edgy - UPDATED

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Edge Returns to the App Store as Edgy - UPDATED

As quickly as it disappeared, Edge by Mobigame is back on the App Store, sporting another new name and peace at last with Edge Games.

It's been a long and winding road for Mobigame's acclaimed iPhone game. Not long after its release, it attracted the attention of Tim Langdell and Edge Games, which filed a complaint with Apple that resulted in the game's removal from the App Store. Some months later, it reappeared as Edge by Mobigame, along with a message from Mobigame's David Papazian essentially trumpeting Langdell's demise. That was a bit premature, as it turned out; Edge Games struck back with another complaint, resulting in another removal of the game yesterday.

In surprisingly short order, however, it's back again and this time it looks set to stay. Despite saying it had no interest in settling, Edge by Mobigame has been renamed to Edgy, a title Edge Games initially resisted but then indicated it could live with. Mobigame pointed out that the change affects only the U.S. and U.K. markets, and that it will continue to be sold as Edge everywhere else.

"Mobigame conceded defeat and changed the name of their game to Edgy - thus effectively finally accepting the settlement proposal we made to them back in May," Edge Games said in an email sent to The Escapist. "And no, we did not ask for money from them, nor did we bully them into making this decision."

The name Edgy first came up in discussions between Mobigame and Edge Games back in May. Edge Games initially rejected the idea but then attempted to register the name as a trademark in the U.S. and offered to license it to Mobigame; whether or not any kind of licensing deal for the use of the Edgy name is in place now is unknown. We've contacted both Mobigame and Edge Games for more information and will update when we can.

UPDATE: Edge Games has told us that the latest name change does not involve any sort of licensing deal between Edge and Mobigame. "The idea of a licensing arrangement was nixed almost immediately after it was suggested [in May]," a company rep said via email. "Since late May it was always a matter of Edge proposing to Mobigame completely free and clear rights to EDGY, owned by Mobigame not under license from Edge. In the end, that is what Mobigame opted for just as we suggested all those months ago."

Source: Develop

That didnt take long to return at all lol.

OHHH EDGY!
man this is funny.
This seem like a slap to the face for timmy.
Nice counter Mobigame!

I made a black jack game its called BlackJack Edge, come and get me boys.

Malygris:

"Mobigame conceded defeat and changed the name of their game to Edgy - thus effectively finally accepting the settlement proposal we made to them back in May," Edge Games said in an email sent to The Escapist. "And no, we did not ask for money from them, nor did we bully them into making this decision."

Will all due respec- no, scratch that, disrespect is intended. In all honestly they have done nothing but try to bully Mobigame into this course of action. I really wouldn't consider lawsuits, litigation, and not one but two removals from the App Store anything but bullying them onto this path.

whatshisname should just be taken out back and have the shit beat out of him.

akmarksman:
whatshisname should just be taken out back and have the shit beat out of him.

I expect EA will be doing exactly that.. but the steel-toed boots of trademark suits turn slowly.

did they actually make the spelling mistake or was it a retyping typo? Pointing that out makes me feel like a hater on Edge Games, then I think of the pricks they are and feel better.

Malygris:

"Mobigame conceded defeat"
"And no, we did not ask for money from them, nor did we bully them into making this decision."

No, you just bullied them into not being able to make their original decision. Good job guys. Lawyers need more of your ilk down on level 8.

Malygris:
"And no, we did not ask for money from them, nor did we bully them into making this decision."

Bullshit.

Over my ass.

Langdell's probably plotting how he can screw his reputation further.

"Mobigame conceded defeat and changed the name of their game to Edgy - thus effectively finally accepting the settlement proposal we made to them back in May,"

More of a compromise than a defeat on mobi's side. He wasn't satisfied with them just changing the name to edgy: he wanted to license it to them for a fee.

Asking a fee is asking for money.

How far can you twist a phrase? I'm learning new angles and dimensions everyday with this guy.

Capo Taco:
"Mobigame conceded defeat and changed the name of their game to Edgy - thus effectively finally accepting the settlement proposal we made to them back in May,"

More of a compromise than a defeat on mobi's side. He wasn't satisfied with them just changing the name to edgy: he wanted to license it to them for a fee.

Asking a fee is asking for money.

How far can you twist a phrase? I'm learning new angles and dimensions everyday with this guy.

He didn't BULLY them, he offered then new fiscally lucrative paths of mutual profit.

...I wanted to try spin. It made me feel dirty.

Fuck you Langdall.

I like how it says "We allowed Edgy".

Allowed?

How the hell do these laws work? Anything even remotely similar to your stuff is still in your area of control? I don't think so :P.

Edge Games said in an email sent to The Escapist. "And no, we did not ask for money from them, nor did we bully them into making this decision."

What exactly would you call it then, Edge Games?

The battle was won, but Langdell is still on the loose. Will this turn of events set a precedent for other developers?

Anyone else want a law passed making wasting time in court with trivial copyright complaints a crime punishable by 50yrs in prison?

What the fuck. Why has this charlatanous(if it's not a word, it should be) imbecile been allowed a continued existence in the domain of public sight?! Begone, Langdell! Back to the foulest pits from whence you came!

un-fucking believable, mobi offered to change the name to edgy and after rejecting the idea langdell and his goons go out and try to trademark the damn thing to then license it to mobi.

Did anyone else do a double take "wtf" head-spin when they read that?

Good thing I didn't care in the first place!

Lol.. Sorry, Edgy.

Escapist is still in contact with these guys? Please, tell Tim, from the escapist community that he is a dick, and that he isn't fooling anyone with his spurious, asanine lawsuits, and that the very fact that he is arrogantly trying to pretend like he is a decent human being makes me hate him even more. At least Ill be able to forget this whole mess if he just manned the hell up and admit that what he did was a shakedown and nothing more. I will go out of my way to never support anything him or his company does ever again, and I really want him to know that I'm not the only one who sees him this way.

Poor Mobi. They were just sick and tired of dealing with Lang. Seems to be a war of Attrition with those guys.

I can't believe they think they own the rights to every word even related to "Edge."

I'm copyrighting "the" RIGHT NOW.

Xanadu84:
Escapist is still in contact with these guys? Please, tell Tim, from the escapist community that he is a dick, and that he isn't fooling anyone with his spurious, asanine lawsuits, and that the very fact that he is arrogantly trying to pretend like he is a decent human being makes me hate him even more. At least Ill be able to forget this whole mess if he just manned the hell up and admit that what he did was a shakedown and nothing more. I will go out of my way to never support anything him or his company does ever again, and I really want him to know that I'm not the only one who sees him this way.

You seem to think they have been doing anything but corporate bullying since the 80s or that they are suddenly going to realize that they appear less dickish if they actually do work. I do agree with you that I won't buy a single Edge Games product if one every comes out, but I am expecting to see the Messiah come down from heaven before I see a product actually made by Edge Games.

Edge Games initially rejected the idea but then attempted to register the name as a trademark in the U.S. and offered to license it to Mobigame;

You lying sack of shit.

I would boycott Edge Games, but it is entirely unclear to me that the company makes any product other than legal maneuverings anymore.

Which does, perhaps, mean they should be sued for false advertising based on their name alone.

You can file that email from Edge 'Games' into the "This is how to make a crappy PR situation way the hell worse" category - it's bad enough when you're caught being an utter jackass, but performances like this go the extra mile by assuming your audience are drooling morons who will totally believe your flagrant spin unquestioningly.

Congratulations - now we can hate you for talking to us like we're morons in addition to all the other compelling reasons to hate you - way to overachieve.

This isn't a PR disaster for him. PR is irrelevent to him, he hasn't got anything to sell. PR only matters if the public's opinion can help or harm you. What are we going to do? Boycott his games?

This is just another example on how copyright and trademark law Fails. In a nutshell, this is a gradeschool level way of saying 'I got here first, and you have to pay me money to be the next one up.' So much for society maturing.

I don't understand, isn't the trademark for "Edge games" not "edge"?

Knight Templar:
I don't understand, isn't the trademark for "Edge games" not "edge"?

No, actually it's for "Edge" "The Edge" "Gamer's Edge" "Edge Games" "Cutting Edge" "EdgeMasters" and "Masters of the game"

...Yeah, right :o

Edge say that they've pretty much won this by getting Mobigames to change the name to Edgy. How deluded is Tim Langdell? He seriously thinks this is a victory? It's just another punch in the balls and it's just going to inspire more people to take the piss. He'll lose it in the end, there's no real way he can come out of this whole fiasco on top. Still, at least us gamers are getting a laugh out of it...

Capo Taco:

I think that at this point, we're into non-Euclidean geometry.

As much as I dislike it , I'm wishing for a U2 Guitar Hero named Guitar Edge. Just to see if Langdell would have the stones to pick a fight with Activision...

SachielOne:

Capo Taco:

I think that at this point, we're into non-Euclidean geometry.

In dead R'lyeh Langthulhu sleeps...

Callate:

I would boycott Edge Games, but it is entirely unclear to me that the company makes any product other than legal maneuverings anymore.

Which does, perhaps, mean they should be sued for false advertising based on their name alone.

My thoughts exactly, before this whole fiasco i didn't even know who Edge Games were

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here