EA Announces New Medal of Honor

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

the MoH series got worse as it went along, unless something proves to me that this won't continue in that trend, I won't bother.

... Do I even need to comment on how obvious a cash-in on MW's success this is?

JohnReaper:

sigh COD and MOH is great and yea COD got the jump on Modern warfare gaming but MOH will most likely take MW2 and shove it up COD's rear end

Thats why you don't mess with veterans

You got that Activision

With all due respect to Medal Of Honor, I seriously doubt that. Not that Airbourne was bad but it wasn't particularly good either.

Furburt:

I know, but doing a modern warfare version seems a bit stupid at this point.

How about a Korean War Shooter? Or a Vietnam one? There hasn't been any good ones lately. Or perhaps go backwards, make a World War 1 shooter?

Or maybe they could actually for once make a game about a war that didn't have the Americans in it?

I'd happily play an Iran-Iraq war game.

Dude, it's a modern day shooter. Why is it necessarily a Modern Warfare clone? Current day shooters have been done way before the Call of Duty series ever existed, let alone before it stopped sucking off the WWII tit. We haven't even seen a single screenshot and you're already nailing it as a MW clone.

Great thing about modern day that no past time period can match is that it can be ANYTHING! We're living it now! Any story, any antagonists and any weapons!

Let's not start writing this one off as a MW clone till they announce the lead character is named Toap MacSavish ok?

PS: A WWI FPS would possibly be the most boring game ever, only surpassed by true virtual abortions like Desert Bus.

auronvi:

Not just took "inspiration." It was the same 3 guys who made that game made the original Call of Duty!

The quote unquote was implying sarcasm. Yes COD1 heavily ripped off MOHAA.

auronvi:
Why do people take offense when others try to copy what somebody else did and make it better? That is what World of Warcraft was. They took what was good in all other MMOs of the time and just did it better. For all you people know, the new Medal of Honor will take everything that is good about COD and make it better! The fall of COD is soon, games don't last more than one or two sequels before people get sick of it and move on to something else. Only the fanboys will stick to their guns and waste their money while the rest of us move on to a different better game.

Easy: Fanboys.

Most people that aren't fanboys only care about this when the devs don't even try to improve. It's only a problem when it's a blatant copy, a cash in with no further intentions but to milk another franchise by proxy.

Every game nowadays draws inspiration from other games. How can they not? Most of it has been done before.

I smell a flop already.

I wish they would
Make it for the wii

GamingAwesome1:
Greaaat..... another boring as fuck brown WW2 game that we are desperately trying to get rid of.

Greaaat...another idiot not bothering to read the article before ocmmenting.

Depending on how succesful Bad Company 2 is(Which, in my opinion, deserves to sell more than Modern Warfare 2 due to the fact that the developers haven't been making fun of the PC community) this game will be overshadowed. Bad Company 2 will probably be the big boy when it comes to multiplayer and if this new Medal of Honor doesn't add something interesting to the multiplayer aspect it will probably, has I said before, be overshadowed by BC2.

Then again, there's the Single Player aspect to think of. Still, most people tend to buy FPS's for the multiplayer aspect.

Caliostro:

Dude, it's a modern day shooter. Why is it necessarily a Modern Warfare clone? Current day shooters have been done way before the Call of Duty series ever existed, let alone before it stopped sucking off the WWII tit. We haven't even seen a single screenshot and you're already nailing it as a MW clone.

Great thing about modern day that no past time period can match is that it can be ANYTHING! We're living it now! Any story, any antagonists and any weapons!

Let's not start writing this one off as a MW clone till they announce the lead character is named Toap MacSavish ok?

PS: A WWI FPS would possibly be the most boring game ever, only surpassed by true virtual abortions like Desert Bus.

Think about it. A former WWII FPS series ditches WW2 in favour of a made up story set in plausible real world conflict areas.

Clone may be a strong word, but since all we know right now is concept, the concept is a clone. Knowing that MOH has never really been a strong innovator, I assume that everything that follows will most probably be unoriginal.

Also, why would a WW1 FPS be boring, exactly? It's not as though nothing happened in that war.

Furburt:

Also, why would a WW1 FPS be boring, exactly? It's not as though nothing happened in that war.

It's because you can't call any side "Axis of Evil".

oliveira8:

Furburt:

Why is that required?

Furburt:

oliveira8:

Furburt:

Why is that required?

So the Amaricana feel like they killing evil people and save the world from a nasty Emperor.

I'll give it a shot it certanly sounds interesting.

Why does everyone seem to forget about this, arguably one of the greatest games ever, with one of the most refined squad play experiences, when they discuss war games set in the modern era?

CoD4 wasn't the first, you know.

never seen anybody in the armed forces with a grizzly beard like that, but ok

oliveira8:

Furburt:

oliveira8:

Furburt:

Why is that required?

So the Amaricana feel like they killing evil people and save the world from a nasty Emperor.

Evil Emperor right here

Danny Ocean:

CoD4 wasn't the first, you know.[/center]

Heck, Delta Force came out in 1998.

Furburt:

oliveira8:

Furburt:

oliveira8:

Furburt:

Why is that required?

Evil Emperor right here

He wasn't evil. Good moustache but no evilness.

I only play call of duty now

Furburt:

Danny Ocean:

Oh, I remember that game now. They also made a Modern-era game to go with the film Black Hawk Down. I recall it being really rather hard.

Furburt:

Think about it. A former WWII FPS series ditches WW2 in favour of a made up story set in plausible real world conflict areas.

Clone may be a strong word, but since all we know right now is concept, the concept is a clone.

This is not a game concept, this is a company's history. Slightly different. That's like saying Gearbox copied Take Two because they went the way of the dodo.

Activision and Infinity Ward were also hardly the first to start in WWII and see potential in modern conflict (and the battlefield series did it two years earlier).

Furburt:
Knowing that MOH has never really been a strong innovator, I assume that everything that follows will most probably be unoriginal.

MOHAA was the Modern Warfare of it's time... so much so the Call of Duty franchise started by bloodily ripping it off, making your entire point that much more nonsensical.

So the company that practically defined the genre as we know it today (along Wolfenstein) has no hopes of making something original, but the company that started off by cloning them is totally cool?

Furburt:

Because it would come down to:

A) Sit in trenches for days. Die from mustard gas, bombings, malnutrition, etc...
B) Sit in trenches for days. Charge across barren, battle torn fields. Die in under 5 minutes.
c) Sit in trenches for days. Charge across barren, battle torn fields. Kill the enemy in under 5 minutes. Spend 20 minutes looting their shit. Sit in your new trenches for a few more days.

Ah yes, I can feel the excitement now...

(Note: That could actually work as an RTS... Not as an FPS.)

Bit of a shame, quite a predictable move. I would've liked it if they would've gone to Vietnam, but maybe a "Hurray go America!" series like Medal of Honor (name says it all) doesn't really fit with the Vietnam war.

Gotta say by the way, the guy on the picture has one helluva rugged beard.

I never cared about the MoH series, and I doubt this is going to change my mind.

It's obvious they're just ripping off of CoD.

EDIT: Either you play as a different character ("the enemy's" side, for instance) or I will continue to not care.

bloody hell... i know developers copy ideas and such, but this is just stupid...

SuperMse:
2005- The Battlefield series is updated from a World War 2 setting to a more modern era. That game is called Battlefield 2: Modern Combat, and has upgradable and customizable classes.

2007- The Call of Duty series is updated from a World War 2 setting to a more modern era. That game is called Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, and has upgradable and customizable classes.

2009- The Medal of Honor series is announced to be receiving an update from a World War 2 setting to a more modern era, with multiplayer developed by the same guys who make the Battlefield series.

Am I the only one noticing a pattern?

Oh my god I see it! All the numbers add up to 23!

i do hope this is a good game

it looks like EA is really trying to bring this franchise back

Weelll at this rate I wonder which one will be the first one to do future wars, or even go back to WW1-2

oliveira8:

He wasn't evil. Good moustache but no evilness.

I do tire of hollywood style scriptwriting and its need for unambiguous villainy.

Could we not accept that all sides were the loser in WW1, and the horrors of static combat should be not glorified?

Disaster Button:

SuperMse:
2005- The Battlefield series is updated from a World War 2 setting to a more modern era. That game is called Battlefield 2: Modern Combat, and has upgradable and customizable classes.

2007- The Call of Duty series is updated from a World War 2 setting to a more modern era. That game is called Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, and has upgradable and customizable classes.

2009- The Medal of Honor series is announced to be receiving an update from a World War 2 setting to a more modern era, with multiplayer developed by the same guys who make the Battlefield series.

Am I the only one noticing a pattern?

Oh my god I see it! All the numbers add up to 23!

N....no they don't 12, not counting the 2005, 2007 and 2009 other wise its 60....6023....Oh GOD....Guess it does hmm

Well, I totally saw this coming.

So we take Metal gear to medal of honor?
Careful I smell a slide back 7 years ago to brain dead shooters...
Yet they all relied on bullet time for a gimmick.

Wow, that is quite shameless, really can't say more than that.

Like hell, this is set in Afghanistan and is modern warfare, and all of a sudden it's a copy? How many times was modern warfare done before CoD 4 and MW2? How many times will it be done after?

At best I call this a role reversal considering CoD practically "copied" MoH.

orangebandguy:
There's no way out Patterson!

Memories of a better era, I lost interest entirely after Rising Sun, which was terrible.

It's a shame since MOH was one of my first ever games.

Hmmm, 3 gun emplacements with 40 Germans. We need to blow them up with satchel charges, but anyone who approaches will be ripped to shreds....

PATTERSON!

Ahh good times.

Danny Ocean:

Furburt:

Danny Ocean:

Oh, I remember that game now. They also made a Modern-era game to go with the film Black Hawk Down. I recall it being really rather hard.

Delta Force: Black Hawk Down? Yeah.

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/action/deltaforceblackhawkdown/index.html

I preferred the original though. And Global Operations (shameless name drop for no reason).

I don't think it will beat the Modern Warfare games

Medal of Honor Modern Warfare

I've never played a MOH game always liked CoD

I await the horrid driving levels that come with these games....

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here