New Games Start Gamers Off Really, Really Early

New Games Start Gamers Off Really, Really Early

KneeBouncers is a great way to get your kids into videogames as young as possible.

KneeBouncers is an interesting website thought up by a father of three that was sick of seeing his very young daughter left out while the older kids were having fun playing videogames. It's full of free online flash games that are played using any keyboard input, so as long as a toddler can bash on the keyboard he/she can play.

KneeBouncers games range from educational to purely visual interaction, some teaching colors and words while others involve the game's cast of characters jumping in puddles or performing in a circus. Input from the keyboard will cause an action on screen: moving a character around, playing a sound, etc. If you're like me, your first thought went to the dreaded "ALT-F4" combination which normally closes programs, but it's been smartly disabled.

I really love this idea as a way to get very young children used to the idea of technology and videogames. If I had young kids, I'd definitely sit them in front of these things and see how they liked them; it's never too early to get their videogame addictions started after all. Parents can also download coloring pages of the KneeBouncers animals, and support the site by ordering merchandise with 10% of the profits going towards The Children's Aid Society. Kneebouncers seems worth checking out for parents that don't believe videogames are the devil.

the important thing about this is the name actually

The idea of Knee Bouncers means that a parent is right there with the kid, interacting with them.

Honestly, I think the worst thing you can do for a very young child is to sit them down in front of a video game by themselves.. but having the parents right there, playing the games with the kids, that's just magical.

Thank you. Thank you so very very much. Maybe if I can get my little tyke hooked she'll understand when daddy wants to play his grown up games lol.

While this is a wonderful idea, that Shapes game is creepy as all hell.

So I tried it with her. There should be a warning on the site. I think I need a new keyboard after 5 minutes of gametime. Anyways she loved it. My only beef is they should have disabled the windows key as well. It is difficult to try and get to the mouse while holding a squirming baby and make sure the keyboard doesn't go flying. No way she will be playing this alone. LOL. Awesome Tom thanks again.

I dunno...
I'm still wary of the youngin's playing video games.
Of course, I'm a little biased after having had Wolfenstein and Heretic monsters seared into my brain as a child. >.<

Erana:
I dunno...
I'm still wary of the youngin's playing video games.
Of course, I'm a little biased after having had Wolfenstein and Heretic monsters seared into my brain as a child. >.<

I started playing Sonic the Hedgehog on my Sega Mega Drive before I started school, I fully endorse kids starting early so they can get hooked better see our hobbies and pass times first hand.

Pft, start them off on Sonic The Hedgehog I say. I was playing that at three.

Still, it's a nice idea, and I like the fact that it encourages parents to sit down with their kids rather than just leave them to it.

Kiefer13:
Pft, start them off on Sonic The Hedgehog I say. I was playing that at three.

Still, it's a nice idea, and I like the fact that it encourages parents to sit down with their kids rather than just leave them to it.

This for kids under 1. They are too small to hold a controller (and to ADD to keep pressing the same button)

Oh to hell with that, MY kid's first video game is going to be Super Smash Bros Brawl. Exact same theory, that randomly mashing the controls will do things, but it's got Yoshi and Kirby in it too.

My kids first game: Kirby. Great intro into gaming.

And this is REALLY EARLY.

Well, we are pulling em in early I suppose!

Wonder how much of a market there is for children that age...

If I ever have children they're not playing games until they are at least 8, for reasons I'm not going to bother explaining.
But when I do let them, I'm starting them on the N64 and Game Boy. Little tosser's first game is not going to be Halo, or anything of the like.

Is it weird that I enjoy these games myself?

And I have no kids?

On the first one, "Wake up sammy" hold in the spacebar. it feels like you are on an acid trip.
Anywho i think this is a really great idéa, nice that it's free too.

Although I look forward to eventually having a 'lil co-op buddy, I wouldn't want kids of mine playing video/computer games at all before elementary school, and then gradually introduce them to computers. Sure it's important to have computer skills these days, but I also want to make sure that they are comfortable with and can have fun outside and with other children. Things like social skills and creativity are byproducts of group play, and important for raising a well-rounded kid. With computer games, your experiences are limited to what the programmers allow you to do (multiplayer interactions notwithstanding).

laserwulf:
Although I look forward to eventually having a 'lil co-op buddy, I wouldn't want kids of mine playing video/computer games at all before elementary school, and then gradually introduce them to computers. Sure it's important to have computer skills these days, but I also want to make sure that they are comfortable with and can have fun outside and with other children. Things like social skills and creativity are byproducts of group play, and important for raising a well-rounded kid. With computer games, your experiences are limited to what the programmers allow you to do (multiplayer interactions notwithstanding).

You sad old guy.
I didn't get to play video games before elementary school and yet I didn't develop any social skill there (not until much later, at my own pace), because I was born like that; and my creativity is fine, thank you.

incal11:

laserwulf:

You sad old guy.
I didn't get to play video games before elementary school and yet I didn't develop any social skill there (not until much later, at my own pace), because I was born like that; and my creativity is fine, thank you.

I'm talking about basic stuff: being able to share toys, take turns, follow directions, cooperate, not hit other kids, good sportsmanship. Or are you saying that you were, in fact, a 'lil sociopath growing up? My point is that I don't believe early development that's based on canned experiences adequately prepare a kid for a world where other kids and adults can act unpredictably; kind of like how wild animals raised in captivity can't survive on their own.

And 26 is old?

I got into video games when I was 3. Nuff said really, I plan to raise my kids the same way. Games like this are the way to go really, untill I teach them the ways of ownage ;)

laserwulf:

incal11:

laserwulf:
-snip-

You sad old guy.

And 26 is old?

On the internet...

Anyway, Yahtzee is 26 and he insists that he's old.

OH RIGHT THE OP

I love this idea, I want to pass down my gaming genes to the younger generations.

why would you want your kids to be into gaming

i wouldnt wish my addiction on my worst enemy

laserwulf:
I don't believe early development that's based on canned experiences adequately prepare a kid for a world where other kids and adults can act unpredictably; kind of like how wild animals raised in captivity can't survive on their own.

We're talking about toddlers, what in-house experience can you have at that age that isn't "canned" ?
What is the difference between bashing a keyboard and bashing some plastic toy ?

Here's my point, it won't keep babies from interacting with other babies; the way you present your opinion looks like you have some misconceptions about the influence of video games on kids in general.

Whether the baby is susceptible to develop an addiction to video games akin to that of a bloated Happy meal kid to mcdonald, the parents can't know, I agree they have to be on the lookout for that.
I lean toward: let your kid play video games.
Because stastistically you have 9/10 chances that your kid will be "well rounded" anyway;
and if he's not, again chances are the video games are not the cause.
The rest is about good parenting.

TitsMcGee1804:

If you are addicted to WoW or something like that , I understand.
I could argue that Wow is not a video game , but a secondlife/facebook/casual rainbow colored horror, and you pay for it.

A bit more seriously though, if kids could be educated early about what makes a good video game, we'd see a lot less crap.
Imagine, If Kneebouncers came up ten years earlier Call of duty, Modern warfare, most recent first person shooters in fact ,
could have been avoided :)

Altorin:
the important thing about this is the name actually

The idea of Knee Bouncers means that a parent is right there with the kid, interacting with them.

Honestly, I think the worst thing you can do for a very young child is to sit them down in front of a video game by themselves.. but having the parents right there, playing the games with the kids, that's just magical.

I really couldn't agree more, I wish my family time was like this.

incal11:

TitsMcGee1804:

I could argue that Wow is not a video game , but a secondlife/facebook/casual rainbow colored horror, and you pay for it.

A bit more seriously though, if kids could be educated early about what makes a good video game, we'd see a lot less crap.
Imagine, If Kneebouncers came up ten years earlier Call of duty, Modern warfare, most recent first person shooters in fact ,

Nah im not addicted to wow, im just saying if I could choose between having a hobby of playing football, and sitting on my arse drinking beer, i would choose the former (its much more productive)

its all a balance...I play shit loads of games, but I also have a full time job, spend time with my family and go out and get RATTED twice a week, so im not worried about a gaming addiction

TitsMcGee1804:

Nah im not addicted to wow, im just saying if I could choose between having a hobby of playing football, and sitting on my arse drinking beer, i would choose the former (its much more productive)

its all a balance...I play shit loads of games, but I also have a full time job, spend time with my family and go out and get RATTED twice a week, so im not worried about a gaming addiction

Drinking beer doesn't have to be chained to the act of playing a video game; and I fail to see how gaming is any less productive than football, both are games and are not mutually exclusive .
At least sitting on your ass playing a game is more stimulating than sitting on your ass just watching TV .

You play lots of games, good, but please stop having such issues with the gamers' stereotype then;
you can see for yourself it's not posing a problem with your family life, so no need to be so defensive about it.

incal11:

laserwulf:
I don't believe early development that's based on canned experiences adequately prepare a kid for a world where other kids and adults can act unpredictably; kind of like how wild animals raised in captivity can't survive on their own.

We're talking about toddlers, what in-house experience can you have at that age that isn't "canned" ?
What is the difference between bashing a keyboard and bashing some plastic toy ?

Here's my point, it won't keep babies from interacting with other babies; the way you present your opinion looks like you have some misconceptions about the influence of video games on kids in general.

Whether the baby is susceptible to develop an addiction to video games akin to that of a bloated Happy meal kid to mcdonald, the parents can't know, I agree they have to be on the lookout for that.
I lean toward: let your kid play video games.
Because stastistically you have 9/10 chances that your kid will be "well rounded" anyway;
and if he's not, again chances are the video games are not the cause.
The rest is about good parenting.

TitsMcGee1804:

Not only that check out the site and play a couple games. It is hardly a video game at all. There is really no difference than these games and a musical toy that lights up when you press a button. Except it is happening on screen.

I think some people are just bitter because the new gen is getting games earlier than they did. LOL. My baby is 6 months old and got to play her first game. And SHE IS A GIRL lol. It really does hurt the ole "hardcore gamer" ego.

incal11:

TitsMcGee1804:

Drinking beer doesn't have to be chained to the act of playing a video game; and I fail to see how gaming is any less productive than football, both are games and are not mutually exclusive .
At least sitting on your ass playing a game is more stimulating than sitting on your ass just watching TV .

You play lots of games, good, but please stop having such issues with the gamers' stereotype then;
you can see for yourself it's not posing a problem with your family life, so no need to be so defensive about it.

with all due respect, you aint got a leg to stand on; sports are more productive...because its excercise, its outside, its social

you could say online games are social but they are on a basic...detached level, not face to face...

and im not being defensive about anything mate, i dont play football, i play MW2 all day, my family says im a bit of a nerd and im not exactly proud of how much I play...but I still admit i would be doing alot better in my life if i like....left the room now and again

Im joking, its not that bad...like i said...balance

TitsMcGee1804:

with all due respect, you aint got a leg to stand on; sports are more productive...because its excercise, its outside, its social

you could say online games are social but they are on a basic...detached level, not face to face...

I do some exercise, to maintain balance as you say, not all gamers do that (like you) but I do.

Video game, some of them at least, ARE exercise, mental exercise; thus just as productive as any physical sports (only cases where sports are more productive may be if you're in the army for example).
I do sometime use my laptop outside when it's sunny.
Finally, but I know I'm in the minority with this, I PLACE ABSOLUTELY NO IMPORTANCE in the fact that the person I socialize with is in front of me or not;
sure it is more impersonnal when the "person" is a bunch of word, but I can see past that, we're just different about this.

So I do in fact have a leg to stand on, unlike you.

incal11:

TitsMcGee1804:

I do some exercise, to maintain balance as you say, not all gamers do that (like you) but I do.

Video game, some of them at least, ARE exercise, mental exercise; thus just as productive as any physical sports (only cases where sports are more productive may be if you're in the army for example).
Finally, but I know I'm in the minority with this, I PLACE ABSOLUTELY NO IMPORTANCE in the fact that the person I socialize with is in front of me or not;
sure it is more impersonnal when the "person" is a bunch of word, but I can see past that, we're just different about this.

lol, pompous twat

TitsMcGee1804:

incal11:

TitsMcGee1804:

lol, pompous twat

What, feel bad that I beat you with logic ?

You show your true idiotic nature, I lost my time with you.

incal11:

TitsMcGee1804:

incal11:

TitsMcGee1804:

lol, pompous twat

What, feel bad that I beat you with logic ?

You show your true idiotic nature, I lost my time with you.

i would have took the time to come up with an argument but reading your comment was like banging my head against a wall and I didnt want to waste my time

for more information: see my previous comment

A good game to start them early?

...either an early Sonic game or maybe Crash Bandicoot.

I started on the former, before moving onto Pac-man.

TitsMcGee1804:

i would have took the time to come up with an argument but reading your comment was like banging my head against a wall and I didnt want to waste my time

It's funny, I have the exact same feelings.

I still want to make a step toward peace and understanding.
For what I can see your opinion of gaming is this:
exercise= outside= social }=/=games

This is a big bias you have.
That shows you have a very narrow idea of "exercise" and "social", and maybe you didn't play that many games...
if YOU reread my earlier post you could understand how this is wrong.

If you actually can find arguments against me, I'd be interested to read them.

Anyway, even if you just choose to ignore me now, I hope I got you thinking.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.