Air Force Orders 2,200 PlayStation 3s

Pages PREV 1 2

Woodsey:
That'll be money Sony never get back then.

And I know it's cheaper, but getting something like an IBM processor would surely be better.

Sure someones already said it, but it is a IMB processor.
The consoles since the ps2 have been using basicly just off the shelf processors and graphics cards. It is just a computer no fit into a console box with no room to upgrade.

Neshel:

open trap:
That noise, that was the ps3 fan boys bragging to their xbox360 fanboy friends about how much better their consol is.

My thoughts exactly. More fuel for the console wars.

This is darn near a tactical nuke

Neshel:

open trap:
That noise, that was the ps3 fan boys bragging to their xbox360 fanboy friends about how much better their consol is.

My thoughts exactly. More fuel for the console wars.

Thirded, this shouldn't really matter but for SURE someone will use this as ammunition for their fanboy rants.

Anyway this is rediculous, what exactly does the PS3 Cell processor do that any computer processor does not that makes people use them for things such as this?

Slims no longer run Linux.

ForgottenPr0digy:
wow this good PR for Sony at least its helping FBI and Air force

the ps3 can do everything

Can it be used as a sex toy? Can it comfort me after a funeral? Can it save Tiger Woods' image?

On topic, I thought the Playstation 3 was a video game console, not a tool of war.

AWAR:
now thats weird news..
wait a minute ps3s are designed to play games on not to handle massive data! i smell probleemss on the waaay

Actually that's the bigger problem with the PS3. It's not all that amazing at playing games, rather it does a much better job at number crunching. The 360 on the other hand is designed for gaming from the ground up. I honestly don't know why they chose the cell processor, because to be honest it's better at scientific simulations then it is at gaming.

Making Skynet out of PS3... that makes me laugh.

Wow, "The US Airforce - Run by Linux"!!! And they're buying up all the PS3's at a loss. They are simultaneously pissing off both Microsoft and Sony.

Bet they're funded by Nintendo...

ForgottenPr0digy:
wow this good PR for Sony at least its helping FBI and Air force

the ps3 can do everything

This is true, imagine that tag line as a selling base "Our computers arae so powerful they run military supercomputers. What does your's do?"

Carlston:
Saddly US Submarines might even grab such a upgrade. Many 80-90's subs had old 80's targeting computers the size of a desk let alone a desktop. When I left then Navy we replaced most our pc's with off the shelf Pc's from bestbuy and loaded a hybrid unix on them.

This is amazing to me. There must be money out there for our submarines to have decent computers. Am I wrong?

Carlston:
Note the term super computer is vastly updated as it covered anything running a cpu faster than 300 mhz and up. So a PSP is a "super"computer.

Like how all things that shoot quickly are machine guns to the media.

I thought it was 1ghz, not 300mhz. I remember Apple started off marketing the G4 as a supercomputer because it's clockspeed was up there, and I don't remember similar claims for the G3s.

I could be mistaken, but technically any firearm with a full auto setting can be classified as a machine gun (possibly excluding rotery cannons). If it's pistol ammo, it's an SMG, if it's carriable by a single individual it's an Light Machine Gun, ect. The only groups that might not qualify are Assault Rifles and Battle Rifles.

AWAR:
now thats weird news..
wait a minute ps3s are designed to play games on not to handle massive data! i smell probleemss on the waaay

Except, to an extent, a processor is a processor, and as it's been stated elsewhere in this thread, in tandum the PS3s have some of the most powerful ones available comercially today. That they use a different architecture from the 360 is one of the things that's messed up porting to the system.

Wandrecanada:
Doesn't ripping up a console for it's parts violate the ToS of ownership somehow? I don't know but it sounds a lot like using the parts in the same capacity as modders. What kind of legal backlash you can hit a mod user with is another matter.

It's a violation of the warentee, but there's no ToS for the console itself. If you modify a console to bypass a DRM system, that's a violation of the DMCA, but, really once own some hardware, nothing can legally prevent you from tearing it up for the components.

Just a shame that the Cell 2 is outdated and prohibitively expensive compared to any recent CPU. Just because the Cell 2 has a better cost/performance ratio then the Cell 1 it doesn't mean that it's even remotely competitive with anything else. If they just told nvidia to get of their lazy asses and get around to updating the Tesla to 2009 standards...

BECAUSE IN THE AIRFORCE, THEY ARE GAMERS TOO!!!

The Us army keeps amazing me. With a budget of 650 BILLION dollars (compared to second place which is about 80 billion and 8th place which is about 20 billion) they look to a Japanese video game and console company to advance their supercomputers. I think its a lie, they are using the PS3's to train soldiers using MW 2, to keep them sharp, and to make them think they will survive more than 50 seconds in combat in a glamorous way. I know they are all in air planes but the whole army works together.

Greg Tito:

Carlston:
Saddly US Submarines might even grab such a upgrade. Many 80-90's subs had old 80's targeting computers the size of a desk let alone a desktop. When I left then Navy we replaced most our pc's with off the shelf Pc's from bestbuy and loaded a hybrid unix on them.

This is amazing to me. There must be money out there for our submarines to have decent computers. Am I wrong?

Yes and that's why we upgraded. The mono green, 25 mhz pc of the 80's is indeed a soild, probley will never break ever computer. But it takes up x20 times the room and in a sub thats alot and does nothing else. The best buy pc, we had nifty navigation software that had a database of every ship wreck discovered, rowboat sinking reported, planes in the Beurmuda triangle and if it breaks, pull a new pc system from storage hit the ghost image and your up and running. The 80's computer goes blind there is one back up and by the rules if main goes out, we go home mission be damned.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.