Cheyenne Mountain Announces Stargate: Resistance

Cheyenne Mountain Announces Stargate: Resistance

Cheyenne Mountain, the company that still hasn't brought you Stargate Worlds, has announced Stargate: Resistance, the next videogame in the Stargate franchise that could also end up being the first.

Cheyenne Mountain and MGM announced the Stargate Worlds MMOG all the way back in February 2006 but by late 2008 the company was struggling financially and that the game itself was in doubt. Things didn't get better in the new year; in March Cheyenne Mountain was sued by an Arizona data center for unpaid bills and then in April, Stargate: SG-1 Executive Producer Brad Wright implied that the project was dead and buried, calling it a "waste."

Then in July, as if things weren't bad enough, a former employee of Stargate Worlds publisher Firesky (a trademark of Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment) claimed that Cheyenne would lose the rights to develop the game if it didn't have new funding in place by the first of August. That claim was denied by Firesky's Shane Hensley, who said he had no indication that MGM was ready to pull the plug. There's been silence on the Stargate Worlds front since then and the general assumption seems to be that if the game is still alive, it's only just barely.

So I can't help find it a little bit odd that the company has announced an all-new Stargate game called Stargate: Resistance, a third-person action game that pits Stargate Command against the System Lords in real-time online battles. Players will be able to fight as a Soldier, Commando or Scientist for the SGC or Jaffa, Ashrak or Goa'uld for the System Lords, with each class bringing a unique arsenal of weapons and items to the fight. The game will feature "fluid team-centric play, fast-paced real-time combat and wonderful maps designed specifically to bring these two sides into conflict through dynamic hand-to-hand and ranged combat."

So what's the deal with announcing a new game while the troubles surrounding the old, still-unreleased game remain unresolved? Creative Consultant Chris Klug worked a bit of a mea culpa into the game announcement. "As well as building this new exciting product, paramount to Firesky's long-term future is restoring your confidence and trust in us. While we've never lied to you about our circumstances, many times we were silent while our critics had their fun at our expense," he said. "We chose to remain quiet during those times, because, honestly, we often didn't know what our future was day-to-day, sometimes even hour-to-hour. As a group we chose to not say anything until we knew something."

"Moving forward, think of our relationship as one we need to re-build," he continued. "Imagine this conversation is the first one we have over a cup of coffee in Starbucks where I ask you to give us a chance to restore what we had and enjoyed together."

That may possibly be the weirdest thing I've ever read in a new game announcement, but nonetheless I hope the guys at Cheyenne are able to pull it off. The Stargate: Resistance FAQ says the game is currently in the "polishing stage" and will be released in the first quarter of 2010, exclusively for the PC. We've reached out to Cheyenne Mountain to see what this portends for the future of Stargate Worlds; in the meantime, you can learn more about this new Stargate game at the new Stargate: Resistance website.

Honestly, I was highly dissapointed that the first game fell through. I love the stargate franchise and Now I *Think* I am more excited than ever.

Please Please PLEASE do not go the way of duke nukem forever!!!!

wow, this is a pleasant surprise
except it doesn't look very nice from the site.
not going to get too pumped for it, especially because there are mods for hl2 and bf2 that i can play for MP, only if they had a sort of good SP experience.

It's ironic, there were dozens of fan made Stargate mods for just about every FPS out there, but they have all been shutdown due to copyright infringment. The ironic thing tho is that the games were more or less completed and being played.

I'm gonna go ahead and guess they butchered Stargate Worlds and from the scraps put together Stargate Resistance to try get some $$.

Hey, at least he's being honest. That alone ios almost enough to warrant a purchase... For me, at least.

I'm going to go ahead and file this one away in the "I'll believe it when I see it" folder.

I hope it is multi-platform I have an xbox360 and I really want to be a goa'uld.

Did I just get the "Let's get back together, remember how great it was before I screwed up?" line from a company who has yet to come through?

That feels...so very weird. I guess I'll check it out when/if it comes out. Polishing, eh? Hmmm...*strokes beard*

If this one falls through, I think I may cry. I've been wanted a Stargate game for years. Hopefully the game will be moddable, so that people can add the Replicators, and the Ori.

Maybe it'll be like the Battlefront games, where during battle you can pick a hero, like O'Neill, Teal'c, Jackson, or Carter. That'd make my day.

Thats... incredibly odd. I wander if they were developing it before Stargate Worlds? Maybe back in 06...:

Marketing department: "Hey, guys, I just announced our game for us!"
Development department: "oh awesome, you announced the right one yeah? the Resistance one?"
MD: "...I thought you said Worlds?"
DD: "...what?"

ZhaneEndrick:
I'm going to go ahead and file this one away in the "I'll believe it when I see it" folder.

Quoted for truth. Recent Stargate games seem to have developed a nasty habit of not happening. Sometimes I wonder if early public announcements are really the way to go; most of the time it sounds like developer's money would be better spent actually making the game, rather than marketing a project that's only just beginning development.

The pictures suggest that a substantial amount of polishing would be required before release as well.
Still, it's Stargate, and at least it's not Stargate Universe. I'll keep an eye on it for sure.

My thoughts are that Stargate: Resistance probably uses the majority of the work they did for Stargate Worlds in an attempt to get something to pay off right then. Being a third person shooter I figure they could use a lot of the same character models and such they would have used for a MMORPG due to the fact that you use the same "over the shouldeR" perspective for the most part.

So I figure if they have a bunch of 3D models, all they need to do is borrow code from a liscenced engine like Unreal or whatever works for 3rd Person shooters, and poof instant generic 3rd person shooter with a Stargate theme.

I've been hoping for Stargate Worlds for quite some time now, but it seems like this is going to take alot of the assets already created for SGW and try to get some payment for it. Like their selling us a car, but at this point we have to buy the engine before we can get the whole thing, which still may or may not come.

It would still be the second game...
Stargate is a 2D Platformer game, developed by Probe Entertainment Limited and published by Acclaim, which was released in 1994.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/home/588695.html

Are those poor guys EVER going to get paid?

I'm wondering.Has Cheyenne Mountain or anyone in it ever been associated with 3D Realms? It would explain a ton of stuff...

Please just release it like you say you will, please i beg you, no more teasing..

IF this game becomes a reality, I will shit myself with sheer joy, re-rent every season of Stargate SG-1, and re-watch every episode.
Actually I would probably do the last two anyway, but this game would be like...
Like...
SOOOOOO GREAT.

As the owner of the Stargate Fan Club on The Escapist, I must reply with this.

WOOOOO HOOOOO! I don't care if it's an odd way to announce it, and I don't care if the possibility of it even releasing is up in the air.
Stargate + Videogame = Salvation for all mankind.

Andy Chalk:
Players will be able to fight as a Soldier, Commando or Scientist for the SGC or Jaffa, Ashrak or Goa'uld for the System Lords, with each class bringing a unique arsenal of weapons and items to the fight. The game will feature "fluid team-centric play, fast-paced real-time combat and wonderful maps designed specifically to bring these two sides into conflict through dynamic hand-to-hand and ranged combat.

Jesus Christ, if this game doesn't go ahead I'll physically cry. I bloody love Stargate. Well, except for Atlantis anyway...

Richard Dean Anderson cameo kthnx?

Deofuta:
Honestly, I was highly dissapointed that the first game fell through. I love the stargate franchise and Now I *Think* I am more excited than ever.

Please Please PLEASE do not go the way of duke nukem forever!!!!

Seriously. I want to se a release this time! We so badly need a SG game!

If there is a god, he would make this game happen and make it GOOD. Please oh PLEASE can we finally have a true Stargate game, I've been in such heartbreak and disappointment since Stargate Alliance, which looked fucking epic. Seriously, Stargate is one of those pieces of media that has MASSIVE potential to spawn some truly awesome games ranging from FPS, TPS, RTS. Really, we need a real quality studio to get the rights for an SG game. Plenty of great studios could pump out some awesome stuff.

Personally I would love if Stargate Allience was picked back up and finished instead of Resistance, seeing as I'd like an epic single player. But at this point I'll take anything, a SG multiplayer game is still pretty epic. Throw in Kull Warriors, Replicators, Tok'Ra and even Asgard and you got some sick ass potential for multiplayer. Man I'd shit my pants if I got to play a Kull warrior.

Tilakai:
It would still be the second game...
Stargate is a 2D Platformer game, developed by Probe Entertainment Limited and published by Acclaim, which was released in 1994.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/home/588695.html

That's what I thought too, article man better do his research better next time.

Also I'm not holding my breath. I'm a HUGE SG fan, but I won't beleive it until its in my hands.

To me, I think they just cannibalized what they could from the MMO (combat) and made a 3rdps out of it.

So it could either be sweet ambrosia or absolute shit.

Exactly like the mod community, if something's stargate, there's a 1% chance it'll come out, if you're incredibly lucky.

Therumancer:
My thoughts are that Stargate: Resistance probably uses the majority of the work they did for Stargate Worlds in an attempt to get something to pay off right then. Being a third person shooter I figure they could use a lot of the same character models and such they would have used for a MMORPG due to the fact that you use the same "over the shouldeR" perspective for the most part.

So I figure if they have a bunch of 3D models, all they need to do is borrow code from a liscenced engine like Unreal or whatever works for 3rd Person shooters, and poof instant generic 3rd person shooter with a Stargate theme.

When I read the article I thought the same thing. This is a cash in on the work they've already done on the SG Universe series. It's possible that they are using the same engine and everything, just retooling the game to work as a third person shooter. I don't really know much about the SGU game they had planned, but it may been the same thing just on a larger scale. On the plus side, if they do well with this then they'll have their money for SGU.

Wow. I remember interviewing Cheyenne's Joe Ybarra as one of my first assignments when I was hired at The Escapist, almost four years ago. I'm still a bit in shock that the game hasn't yet come out, but I wish them well, as always.

I wish a non-MMO-like Stargate game would come out, you know, a game with a little story, actualy levels. I wasn't excited for Stargate Worlds, but would've actually liked Stargate Alliance, which never happened.

I wish an actual Stargate game would come out.

Tich:
I wish a non-MMO-like Stargate game would come out, you know, a game with a little story, actualy levels. I wasn't excited for Stargate Worlds, but would've actually liked Stargate Alliance, which never happened.

Yes. A Stargate-themed single player game is much more preferable (to me) than an MMO or online co-op game. (Maybe I'm just a misanthrope though.)

But still, anything is better than nothing (as long as it's good). Hopefully one day...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here