Natalie Portman to Crunch Zombies in Jane Austen Film

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Natalie Portman to Crunch Zombies in Jane Austen Film

Actress Natalie Portman will be stepping into the shoes of Jane Austen heroine Elizabeth Bennet to slay zombies and fret about social standing in the film adaptation of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

It's been almost a year since we first learned about Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Seth Grahame-Smith's horror adaptation of the beloved novel that mashes up Jane Austen's 1813 classic with scenes of zombie attacks, cannibalism and battles against ninjas. In Grahame-Smith's version, the five Bennet sisters must not only contend with questions of love and social standing, but must use their martial arts training to moonlight as hunters of the living dead.

Now, courtesy of Variety magazine and the Beeb, the cat is out of the bag: Actress/director Natalie Portman will be producing a film adaptation of the book for Canadian indie studio Lions Gate. Portman will also be starring as heroine Elizabeth Bennet as she battles things that should not be alive (much like co-star Hayden Christensen's career after the Star Wars prequels).

Portman, who holds a degree in psychology from Harvard University that she earned while working on the three new Star Wars films, is known to have a sense of humor about her work - which certainly explains her Saturday Night Live "Natalie Portman Rap."

That's pretty much all the information we have right now: Natalie Portman will be killing zombies as a turn-of-the-19th-century Austen heroine. But let's be honest - do we really need anything more than that?

(Image)

Before people start complaining about there being too many zombie-movies, I'd like to say this:

Awesome

I actually like Natalie Portman a lot. I want to see Closer, she was pretty good in Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium, and am I the only person on the internet who actually liked the Star Wars prequels? Because sometimes it seems so. And I highly recommend Zach Braff's debut film as director and writer, Garden State. Portman has a major role in it and it is one of the best films I've seen in a long time.

However, I'm not so sure about this. I probably would read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies if I got it from the library, but I don't know much about it otherwise. However, although I like zombies and I like Jane Austen's works, I can't really see a film of the zombie version being too successful. Then again, I may be wrong. Only time, and the box office sales, will tell...

Wow, I....may see this.

I LOVE Natalie Portman, especially in V for Vendetta, and this is gonna be shweeeet.

Hard call, hard call. P&P sucked harder than a hookerbot, and I haven't read P&PvZ, so I don't know if the awesomeness of Zombies made up for the anal discharge of Jane Austin.

Any P&PvZ readers out there? Will it be bearable?

i hope it comes out as a combination of steampunk and zombies. def going to see it

This actually has me grinning like an idiot. =D

I love Natalie Portman, and the whole concept of her killing zombies in a big frilly dress just seems so awesome. :D

As I loved the actual P&P and enjoy redeadifying dead things, I'm definitely going to watch this.
If Mr. Collins gets eaten, I will see it twenty times.

I love her and this film looks sounds awesome!!!

Trivun:
I actually like Natalie Portman a lot. I want to see Closer, she was pretty good in Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium, and am I the only person on the internet who actually liked the Star Wars prequels? Because sometimes it seems so. And I highly recommend Zach Braff's debut film as director and writer, Garden State. Portman has a major role in it and it is one of the best films I've seen in a long time.

Nope, I loved the prequel trilogy too - more than the original trilogy I'd say.
And Garden State is one of my favourite movies ever - she's amazing in it.

And let's not forget V For Vendetta. :D

Trivun:
am I the only person on the internet who actually liked the Star Wars prequels? Because sometimes it seems so.

No, I enjoyed them too, just nowhere near as much as the originals.

OT: this sounds interesting (which is more than I could say about a normal Jane Austen adaptation...) and ridiculous, but in a good way.
I'll end up giving this a look, even though I've not read the book. Anyone know whether Pride & Predjudice & Zombies is even worth picking up?

Natalie portman and Zombies. There IS a god.

Trivun:

However, I'm not so sure about this. I probably would read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies if I got it from the library, but I don't know much about it otherwise. However, although I like zombies and I like Jane Austen's works, I can't really see a film of the zombie version being too successful. Then again, I may be wrong. Only time, and the box office sales, will tell...

Oh good, I'd only seen her in the Star wars movies before, wasn't sure how good an actress she is.

And yeah, outside of Episode 3, you are the only one who likes the prequels ;)

As long as shes nekked or wearing cloths that are tight enough that she looks nekked

Ill see it.

I'm surprised I missed the original story on this, I think this is going to be the "lulz" movie for the year its realsed. It just doesn't scream "good" movie".

moose49408:
Wow, I....may see this.

Me too...it could be intresting to say the least!

DuplicateValue:
This actually has me grinning like an idiot. =D

I love Natalie Portman, and the whole concept of her killing zombies in a big frilly dress just seems so awesome. :D

Same.
And because i have 4 sisters i have seen P&P.
There is nothing i would like to see more than a Zombie hoard destroy half the characters from P&P.

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains.

Awesome.

Now, if they do Sense and Sensibility And Sea-Monsters next, that'll even make up for PotC 2&3 being awful.

Hollywood may finally have created a version of Pride and Prejudice that I will watch because I actually wanted to. I called my sister (major fan of the book, myriad adaptations, etc) and told her about it the second I read the headline, just to hear her chortle of laughter.

This combines the 2 things I love the most: killing zombies and Natalie Portman.

Khell_Sennet:
Any P&PvZ readers out there? Will it be bearable?

The bits I've read are... Different.

It's written in the same style, but it's definitely better than the original work. Because it has zombies and ninjas.

This has my vote for movie of the year.

And I liked the prequel movies too. There were a lot of things that needed to go fellate a lightsaber (first in line being Jar-jar) but it had its good moments too.

So I've read a good portion of PnPnZ. I was fooled into thinking that it might be entertaining. It's about 80% PnP and 20 %Z. They should turn World War Z in to a mini series if they want to make a good zombie book adaptation.

This is the only way I'll ever see/read anything even mildly related to Jane Austin.

And it's not just zombies. In the book- there are ninjas.

Trivun:

No, you aren't the only one who liked the prequels. I just couldn't stop thinking, 'Padme needs to ditch the bitch; now get back to Obi-Wan already!'

I think that at the very least, the premise is hilarious. But I'll wait for the reviews.

Edit; I actually liked P&P, maybe it's not the most exciting read in the world but it's a good book.

hittite:
This has my vote for movie of the year.

And I liked the prequel movies too. There were a lot of things that needed to go fellate a lightsaber (first in line being Jar-jar) but it had its good moments too.

Ohhhh come on Jar-Jar wasn't that bad, I was more annoyed by droids acting as comic relief. A droid is not supposed to say "Uh oh" it's just not right man! At least Jar-Jar's species is a bit like that.

But even the droids are topped by the unbelievable terribleness that is Mister Whiny Pants AKA Anakin Skywalker AKA Hayden "I can't act" Christensen. I mean, "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating, and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything's soft... and smooth..." Good góds, who wrote that?!

But all that is countered by the awesome lightsaber fights and Yoda being an absolute god (with a lightsaber) instead of acting like a senile hermit, and of course the general awesomeness that is the Star Wars universe.

Anyway, I'm drifting off. I love Natalie Portman as an actress (looks wise, she's a bit meeh, potential but needs more meat on her), I've only seen snippets from the original P&P movie, but adding zombies in the mix should make it more... interesting, to say the least. Can't really be bothered about the books, maybe some day, but for now there is so much more awesome stuff to read.

agrandstudent:
They should turn World War Z in to a mini series if they want to make a good zombie book adaptation.

Brilliant idea, or a mockumentary with movie-style flashbacks, narrated by the people who are being interviewed. I would watch that over and over and over and over again.

My uncle and Aunt say the book is awesome.

CantFaketheFunk:
...do we really need anything more than that?

No. No we don't.

OT: I can't wait to see it! :D

For those that haven't read the book, it sucks! And I'm far easier to please with literature than I am with film.

Give it your best shot Portman...I'll be waiting.

I gave my ex girlfriend this book as a present, she never read it. It was actually on the back of this book that we broke up really, apparently I didn't 'understand her'. I thought it was funny at least!

Fucking YES

Natalie Portman is SWEE..EEET. Movie sounds interesting to ....

Hahaha! This should be hilarious if nothing else!

Hope it is better than Romeo and Juliet vs the living dead.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here