Funcom Offers Unlimited Free Trial for Age of Conan

Funcom Offers Unlimited Free Trial for Age of Conan

Funcom is offering a new "Unlimited Free Trial" for Age of Conan that will let players enjoy the game all the way to level 20 without ever having to upgrade to a full account.

I'm not sure what kind of seasonal festivities they celebrate in Hyboria - Happy Crom Day, maybe - but whatever it is, Funcom wants to mark the event by offering gamers a little something extra in their blood-stiffened scabbards this year. "With the holiday season coming up this is the perfect time to shake up our trial offer a bit and try out something new," said Funcom's Vice President of Sales and Marketing Morten Larssen. "So everyone who downloads the trial before January 1 will be able to play the first part of the game for free, forever. We are confident that many of those taking advantage of this offer will choose to become permanent players, allowing them to experience all of what the game has to offer including all the additions and improvements introduced since launch."

The new trial is a bit of a step up from last month's "re-evaluation program," in which Funcom invited players back for a two weeks of free play with numerous special bonuses. The company wants previous Age of Conan players to give the game another look, saying that numerous changes, upgrades and new content have dramatically improved the game since it launched in 2008.

Players who sign up for the new Age of Conan trial will have unlimited access to character levels 1-20 and the entire Island of Tortage, creating and playing through as many characters as they want in both player vs. environment and player vs. player action. Registrations for unlimited free Conan are being taken at ageofconan.com/trial until January 1, 2010.

Excellent.

Expecialy with my holidays coming up.

Well I might get it and play as thinderela for a bit

Just signed up to it. If its free then why not, might as well give it a bash

Wait...Funcom made AoC?!

And they made The Longest Journey. Well, now I have to try Conan.

If I didn't already have half a dozen games that I'm ostensibly working my way through at the moment I might have checked this out. Since it's just an unlimited trial though I probably still would have given it a pass as I'm not interested in pay-to-play games.

Well this is hardly original news, (Warhammer Online's unlimited trail *Cough*) but i may give it a shot

Smells like desperation to me! :P

Funcom needs to focus on some Dreamfall Chapters instead of all this other nonsense.

Up to level twenty, where the good content ends. What a coincidence...

Xzi:

Age of Conan has good content?

Finally,now i can finally find out if AoC will be my new MMO drug.I just gave up on WOW.

Darth Sea Bass:
Smells like desperation to me! :P

JRShield:

Xzi:

Yea, the first twenty levels aren't bad because you can play in a single-player heavily story-driven instanced off portion of the game. After that, though, it's WoW with WAY fewer quests. So basically just a big boring grind.

Xzi:

JRShield:

Xzi:

Yea, the first twenty levels aren't bad because you can play in a single-player heavily story-driven instanced off portion of the game. After that, though, it's WoW with WAY fewer quests. So basically just a big boring grind.

Well, I might as well play the fun part for free then!

I am tempted to give it a try because me likey free stuff, but I'm not much for MMOs.

Xzi:

My thoughts exactly.

I hated that they make you do that first part over and over and over if you want to make new characters. As yahtzee said, there's something a little weird about being told you are essentially "the one" and running around on an island full of "the ones." But then, the world after 20 sucked too...

Wow, and here I thought Tortage was the neverending portion already. This is about the fifth free trial and reinvite from Funcom for AoC this year. I'm starting to think that Funcom needs to throw in the towel and realize they screwed up. The combat sucks, having to spend your first twenty levels in ONE place sucks, and the graphics, albeit different from other MMO's and more mature, leave something to be desired yet. I myself love the Conan mythos, the world does offer opportunity for gameplay a stage apart from EQ or WoW, but Funcom missed the target here.

RougeWaveform:
Funcom needs to focus on some Longest Journey Chapters instead of all this other nonsense.

Fix'd.

That's bold.

I'd rather play a Torchlight or Dragon Age MMO though...

RanD00M:
Finally,now i can finally find out if AoC will be my new MMO drug.I just gave up on WOW.

I greatly doubt it because as a long time wow player, you become accustomed to some quality standards....

Onyx Oblivion:
Wait...Funcom made AoC?!

And they made The Longest Journey. Well, now I have to try Conan.

Be prepared for let down then.

Asehujiko:

RanD00M:

I greatly doubt it because as a long time wow player, you become accustomed to some quality standards....

Yeah, and colours other than stone grey/brown, lava red, and snot green jungle.

Well obviously only level 20 and Tortage. Rest of the game was completely unfinished.

Asehujiko:

I din't play it for all that long.Din't even get to level 80.And i only played for some 8 months.And i´m quick to adjust to new settings.

I guess I'll try it.

Xzi:

JRShield:

Xzi:

I believe the game you are referring to is called "Escape from Tortage." This is an old news post that has been re-released so I won't rant about how the designers didn't understand basic math concepts at the game's release again.

(my spellcaster could do more damage with crossbows or daggers than spells though)

I'm still downloading/updating the game...

Someday I'll get to play.

They did the same thing with Anarchy Online, the free accounts for the basic game, if you wanted the expansions you had to pay for a subscription, I don't know how that worked out quit that game almost 4 years ago now, but I don't think it will work very well the second time around.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here