Heavy Rain Is Not a Game

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Heavy Rain Is Not a Game

The designer of Heavy Rain resists the term "interactive movie" but that's kind of what it is.

David Cage of Quantic Dream doesn't think the word "game" is an accurate description of Heavy Rain, a PS3 title due out on January 28th in North America. The "game" has been under development since 2006, when it was shown at E3. Heavy Rain is a dark mystery story with mature themes that delivers handsome visuals, if the screenshots are any judge.

"Heavy Rain is about playing with a story almost in a physical sense, changing it, twisting it, discovering it, making it unique, making it yours," Cage explained. "Using the term 'interactive movie' to describe Heavy Rain has been a tricky question from the beginning. It is in many ways what Heavy Rain is - a visually told story that the player can affect by his actions."

Nobody likes interactive movies, mostly because the games that were called that in the 90s barely had any game elements at all and were really just loosely connected cut-scenes. Cage is aware of this, and is trying to distance Heavy Rain from it.

"In Heavy Rain, the player is in control second to second," he said, "He tells the story through his actions. All this is done in a very fluid, seamless way, with no cut scenes, no big flashing sign to make decisions, and this is what makes the game really unique."

What that means is it may not even be a "game" at all but something wholly other and transcendent.

"Heavy Rain is not a videogame anymore in my mind," he said, "because it breaks with most of the traditional paradigms, but it's fully interactive."

That's certainly an ambitious goal. If it works, it will be an achievement and we may even see a slurry of games trying to imitate the format. If it doesn't break through the stereotype built against interactive movies though, you can chalk up another failure of a game trying to emulate film.

Maybe games are games for a reason.

Source: Destructoid

So that means game sites can stop covering it, right?

Farenheit wasnt really. and it was amazing

Metal Gear 4 beat them to it.

Amnestic:
Nice to see we've come a long way in 26 years

I think that just made my day. We should totally get a current-gen remaking of Dragon's Lair, just because.

That said, I'm actually still very interested in this game's release.

all in all it looks like a very fascinating.. whatever it is.
I am looking forward to it in the fuuuture

SharPhoe:

Amnestic:
Nice to see we've come a long way in 26 years

I think that just made my day. We should totally get a current-gen remaking of Dragon's Lair, just because.

That said, I'm actually still very interested in this game's release.

They re-released it on the iPhone and made it easier so people could get to level two (I got all this from today's Real Life).

This game intrigues me. I can't wait to see the final product. Not much more for me to say about it though.

Its sounds really pretentious calling it an interactive movies to me, it sounds like an excuse for poor gameplay mechanics, but we will see.

Does that mean its going to have a higher Cutscene:Gameplay ratio than MGS4?

I didnt know that was possible....

Souplex:

Seriously, More cutscene than action...

Games desperately need a fancy name to describe the pretentious stuff.

Books become literature. Movies become cinema. Games become...?

Um, I'm sorry, Cage, but if it has what could reasonably be called "win states" and "loss states", it's still a game.

I liked Indigo Prophecy (released elsewhere as Farenheit), but I don't necessarily think the layers of pretension are helpful. It suggests you're more likely to be trying to overcome the wrong set of medium problems and restrictions.

Being a person who finds interactive novels to be a lot more fun than the majority of games, I'm very excited for this "game".

Souplex:

That was just a movie, wasn't it?

The keyword here is "interactive".

The DSM:
Its sounds really pretentious calling it an interactive movies to me...

To me as well, but every time I see gameplay videos, I get what they mean. I think it's more of a struggle with terminology, rather then some pretentious label. I don't think you can call it a 'video game' in the traditional sense, but using 'interactive movie' makes me want to goto Starbucks and punch a mac user.

All in all, the game really does look intriguing. I was extremely skeptical at first, but this would probably be the biggest reason for me to grab a PS3.

The DSM:
Its sounds really pretentious calling it an interactive movies to me, it sounds like an excuse for poor gameplay mechanics, but we will see.

Does that mean its going to have a higher Cutscene:Gameplay ratio than MGS4?

I didnt know that was possible....

For christ's sake, the guy said you'd be in control for every second of the thing and that there wouldn't be any cutscenes. At least give it a little faith.

Uncharted 2 is very different to Ecco the Dolphin, but they're both games. Surely Heavy Rain being different to other games wouldn't stop it from still being called one? Anyway, whatever they call it, I think it looks awesome and I can't wait.

Interactive Movie 2.0?

...Or maybe just a game with a different kind of control scheme.

Great. Guess I'll cross that off my "to buy" list.

Indigo Prophecy wasn't exactly a game either but that was fucking amazing. Plus you're in control through all of it. THERE'S NO CUTSCENES. There's no cutscene:gameplay ratio. It's all seamless and everything is interactive. I think that's what Cage is trying to say.

Baby Tea:
but using 'interactive movie' makes me want to goto Starbucks and punch a mac user.

I pretty much always want to do that.

If Quantic Dream doesn't want to call it an interactive movie then they need to find a better term to start using.

I'm buying it, I love experiencing new design paradigms.

Souplex:

There's a Metal Gear 4? What platform was it on? What happened to Metal Gear 3?

calling it an interactive movie might just doom the game

they've tried and failed so many times before

Fahrenheit was great until the end, plot-wise anyway. That shit was just stupid.

In terms of emotional experiences, this game will definitely be an interactive movie. That being said, I expect it won't be everyone's cup of tea. Those of you who are looking for some hard action sequences à la Modern Warfare 2, will be disappointed. This is all about character development and a story that's entirely in your hands.

I'm still very much looking forward to playing it, though.

I dunno, starting to sound a bit pretentious to me.

someone willing it seems to push the boundaries of whats a game. good on them for it. yes it could be total crap, it could be another dragons lair. but it could actually be good too.

wonder how the game will be put down by people and it will.. people seem to complain no matter what

Man, and this game looked so cool until the developer decided to go the, "Pretentious douchbag" route. You say it's unique and innovative, great! Congrats. You made a unique and innovative GAME. If you want to bring gaming as a medium forward, then you have to acknowledge the potential depth which gaming can have. Otherwise, you're just some film geek trying to point out how you're lowering your great intellect to play amongst the lesser mediums, and inevitably fumbling around in a ham fisted manner making a crappy, poorly paced movie with gimped game play. I hope this guy is not the biggest contributor to the game, because despite my limited reading so far, I feel safe in saying that I have a better grasp of game design philosophy then him.

I keep hearing this game's name thrown around but i never ever get any details as to what to expect, so i'm curious to say the least

Oh really? A new kind of game? Wow, very ambiti- Wait, what? Not a game?

OK, so what are you getting into, Mr. David "I am a pretentious developer who thinks he creates art" Cage?

As for whether it will do well, I doubt it. Fahrenheit sold pathetically and was available for Xbox, PS2 and the PC. Heavy Rain will be exclusive for the PS3. Yeah, it will hardly light the world on fire.

If it's pulled off well, sure, he can call it whatever he wants.

I just hope the story doesn't take a sharp left turn into WTFville around the 2/3 point(I'm looking at you, Indigo Prophecy).

I saw Heavy Rain at the Eurogamer Expo and to be honest, wasn't very impressed. It was just one long QTE, and we know how fun they are.

It really aint a video game, since it puts you in a movie, a drama movie where all you do is choose to either "sit and do nothing" or pat an npc. Im not interested

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here