PSP-4000 Ad Was a "Mistake"

The appearance of an ad outing the PSP-4000 last week was a mistake, according to the company behind it, which is of course exactly what it would say if it was trying to cover up the fact that an official announcement about Sony's new portable game system is right around the corner!

Word slipped out last week that the PSP-4000 was on the way thanks to an ad by Accessories 4 Technology which said that its products are compatible with all models of the PSP, including the currently non-existent PSP-4000. Rumors about the new system have been bouncing around for at least a year and while Sony had nothing to say officially, this appeared very close to being the icing on the cake.

Apparently it isn't, however. While Sony took the standard "no comment on rumor and speculation" route, Accessories 4 Technology License Manager Angela Angela Jones told Negative Gamer that the ad was a "mistake on our part" and that she wasn't sure how it happened. Furthermore, she claimed that as far as she knows, Sony isn't releasing a new handheld.

But what else is she going to do? Confirm speculation about the new system before Sony even announces it? There's no doubt that the addition of the "PSP-4000" tag to the ad was a mistake, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not true. Officially, however, we can call this rumor squashed.

Who wants to guess that Sony is about to crush Accessories 4 Technology because of this? I'm already envisioning a legion of sackboys about to bring the thunder to those poor buggers. Their mistake will surely be shortlived, as will they.

smooth moves all around.

i personally hope that there isn't a PSP-4000 and they're just messing with us.

Good.. I haven't bought a PSP yet.. and want to get the one that will be like fifty bucks and the size of a wristwatch by the time their done with it :)

This news will make ANY with a PSP already mad, and anyone without a PSP intriged.

Andy Chalk:
But what else is she going to do? Confirm speculation about the new system before Sony even announces it? There's no doubt that the addition of the "PSP-4000" tag to the ad was a mistake, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not true. Officially, however, we can call this rumor squashed.

Oh please, why is it that every time there's a rumor on Sony's part, even if it's squashed up, people go "I could not NOT be true!"?

Nobody made a big deal when Gamestop removed accidental ME2 bonuses for the PS3, nobody went "OMG! This could mean ME2 could POSSIBLY be on PS3! SPECULATE!" why is it that no matter what the rumor is people go "It could POSSIBLY be TRUE! Therefore, WE MUST STILL SPECULATE!"

It's over, it was removed, get over it. If there is a PSP-4000, big whoop, good/bad for them. Doesn't make this rumor any more true or false.

ye right mistake my buttocks. You cant make a mistake like this so easily. What kind of a company would they be otherwise. They just misunderstood each other with Sony and now are trying to cover it.

Why does stuff like this happen to Sony so much? xD

Oh well, now we know what it'll be called, as if it wasn't formulamatically obvious.

justcallmeslow:
smooth moves all around.

Same here. Seriously

They must not have much faith in the PSP GO if they are/were ALREADY going to announce a new handheld...

Andy Chalk:

Officially, however, we can call this rumor squashed.

*Unofficially*, though, the company would like us all to believe that they're in the habit of making up products to drop into ads and would we please just forget they mentioned an unannounced product that Sony will probably be mentioning in time for Xmas 2010?

Kind of reminds me of about 4 weeks before Windows 7 came out, I had heard nothing about it and then I was looking at the Requirements for a computer game and it said "Compatible with Windows 7" and I had no idea whatsoever until then.

MrBrightside919:
They must not have much faith in the PSP GO if they are/were ALREADY going to announce a new handheld...

but who really cares about the 2k, 3k, and Go when you can have a 1k that can run nes, snes, n64, ps1, psp, and whatever else???

Jumplion:

Andy Chalk:

Oh please, why is it that every time there's a rumor on Sony's part, even if it's squashed up, people go "I could not NOT be true!"?

That might have something to do with the fact that these rumors and leaks have mostly turned out to be true on Sony's part. Sony has had the worst track record of keeping their secrets this generation: remember how they were trying to convince us that there won't be a PS3 Slim for about 6 months before the thing was actually announced? What about the PSP Go? Same thing. We also pretty much knew everything there was to know about the Wand before they decided to show it to us.

I'm not even seeing why you'd be defensive here.

I still believe that it is true, otherwise they would have both made a comment.

I believe I mentioned something like this before I called it 'Pattern Recognition'

AS long as the darn thing got a longer battery life and two analog sticks, no one cares how long SONY denies it's existence.

Woe Is You:
That might have something to do with the fact that these rumors and leaks have mostly turned out to be true on Sony's part. Sony has had the worst track record of keeping their secrets this generation: remember how they were trying to convince us that there won't be a PS3 Slim for about 6 months before the thing was actually announced? What about the PSP Go? Same thing. We also pretty much knew everything there was to know about the Wand before they decided to show it to us.

Mostly flashing back to MGS4 days, I recall there being an article of an MGS4 banner being put up on a Japanese 360 site by mistake or something like that.

I just don't really like rumors as a whole, hate 'em in all honesty for whatever reason.

Woe Is You:

Jumplion:

Andy Chalk:

PSP Slim was the same way.
PSP Go.
PS3 Slim.

I seem to recall PS2 Slim even leaking before release.

I think they do it on purpose :P.

Jaredin:

justcallmeslow:
smooth moves all around.

Same here. Seriously

Nope, it's being made, OPM said it was last month

I like how the PSP 4000 will look exactly the same as the 3000 which shocker is indentical to the 2000. Personally I think Sony is just rereleasing the same PSP and adding a 1000 to the number. I mean they say there are technical advantages, but none are dramatic enough improvements to prove they actually exist...

UnlimitedCreativity:
I like how the PSP 4000 will look exactly the same as the 3000 which shocker is indentical to the 2000. Personally I think Sony is just rereleasing the same PSP and adding a 1000 to the number. I mean they say there are technical advantages, but none are dramatic enough improvements to prove they actually exist...

The PSP-4000, now with a new hat!

What PSP 4000?

*hides something behind his back*

It's not real. That was a mistake. HA. HA. HA.
*slowly breaks down into psychotic laughter*

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.