All Electronics Banned On International Flights Into U.S.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

All Electronics Banned On International Flights Into U.S.

In a reactionary move to the Flight 253 bomber, the Transportation Security Administration in the U.S. has banned all electronics on international flights into the country.

Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab screwed us all over when he tried to blow up Northwest Flight 253 to Detroit. The Transportation Security Agency has "stepped up security" by disallowing electronics on board international flights into the U.S. This includes the in-flight movie systems as well; the TSA instructed the airlines to disconnect them. Other restrictions were implemented, such as keeping passengers in their seats for the final hour of the flight and not allowing you to have a pillow or blanket covering your lap. There is no word on how long these restrictions will be in place.

Many have spoken out against these kinds of rules, stating that they are mostly for show and do nothing to actually prevent terrorism. Bruce Schneier, a security expert, has said, "Only two things have made flying safer [since 9/11]: the reinforcement of cockpit doors, and the fact that passengers know now to resist hijackers." The mere fact that passengers are now encouraged to stay in their seats means that the rules the TSA enforces might actually help terrorists.

No electronics on flights? What? What about the pilot? Is he supposed to fly the plane without electronics?

I realize that security is important but sometimes the costs are too high. Not letting people play games on a 10 hour flight just blows, and makes people pissed off. It's enough to actually make someone want to blow up TSA.

I'm repeating a joke by Schneier, the security guy, but it's true: "I wish that, just once, some terrorist would try something that you can only foil by upgrading the passengers to first class and giving them free drinks."

I'll drink to that, Mr. Schneier.

Source: Economist

(Image)

God flight security is going to be a pain... Good that I'm not intending to fly to the U.S any time soon though.

If Mr Nigerian General Terrorist guy had gone into the bathroom to light his crotch on fire, would they ban all passengers from using the toilets as well?

Seriously: Fuck you TSA. Your retarded antics are putting me off flying to the U.S. Why don't you just sedate all the passengers for the entire flight?

Actually, it'd make those ten hours wizz by. Not a bad plan...

Amnestic:
If Mr Nigerian General Terrorist guy had gone into the bathroom to light his crotch on fire, would they ban all passengers from using the toilets as well?

Seriously: Fuck you TSA. Your retarded antics are putting me off flying to the U.S. Why don't you just sedate all the passengers for the entire flight?

On other news ... Pilot who may have had too much of the happiness dose crashes plane into the Eiffel tower. France goes to WAR! (against happiness).

Amnestic:
If Mr Nigerian General Why don't you just sedate all the passengers for the entire flight?

I love it! Great plan and if they don't want to be sedated accuse them of being a terrorist and arrest them.

Waaaaait a second!
What the Feth am I supposed to do on a plane journey now?!!
I can read a book, sure, but only for so long!
Now I won't be able to use my new Archos...

How the hell does this make me feel any safer next time I go on a plane?

Okay so if your sitting on a plane 10,000 feet in the sky and you feel a little cold you can't use a blanket anymore.

The best thing they could do is

Not let anyone get out on-board cargo after say an hour into the flight.

What the hell is a terrorist gonna do with the in-flight movies....show a Uwe Boll movie or something, cos that sure as hell would scare me.

Good thing I will never visit America. Ever.

Hm... They may be on to something...

You won't be allowed books on planes in case the edges are sharp enough to poke the air crew in the eye, allowing you to take control.

I'd have to agree with the comment that these kinds of things aren't going to stop terrorism, if someone is determined to hijack a plane then they would happily hide a ceramic AK47 up their bum to get it onboard.

Next you will have to remove all of your clothes so you don't hide anything under them, and have to have a cavity search before boarding as well as a detailed interrogation. So whilst everyone is having a crappy time trying to fly around, terrorists will be hijacking desert buses and forcing everyone on board to sing Tucson or Bust repeatedly.

Well, now I don't want to leave the US.

I need my DS to breathe. It's connected to my lungs.

You hear that dull thudding noise? Thats me beating my head against the desk at the stupidity of some officials.

Wow this is dumb,

1) I already can't bring a bottle of water on the plane, even an empty bottle.

2) I had to change my passport for 'security' reasons

Now I can't watch the in flight movie?? Driving and boats are the way to go now.

CrazyHaircut94:
Good thing I will never visit America. Ever.

Hm... They may be on to something...

That image was the first thing to my mind as well.

Damn, long fights without my iPod, that's gonna blow

Oh bloody hell. When will the insanity end?

And how, exactly, deactivating the in-flight movie systems will help fight terrorism? I fail to see any reason to it, logical or not. What terrorists could possibly do with them?!

its in times like these that I remember the saying "the terrorists have already won when we take away our own liberties"...

making people sit there without electronics is gonna make them more jumpy cause they realise whats going on more...surely this is just making passengers more and more unhappy...

its the whole gamers being punished cause of pirates except people are being punished for terrorists...

also, love the sedating idea.

Nexus Zef:
Next you will have to remove all of your clothes so you don't hide anything under them, and have to have a cavity search before boarding

They already have new scanners that see under your clothing and show you nude.

Once again a Government fights terrorism by a series of useless and unessescary rule that only affect the law abiding citizen, and wont really hurt a determined terrorist's chances.
ANd how the hell is stopping the inflight movie going to help anything?

Nexus Zef:
You won't be allowed books on planes in case the edges are sharp enough to poke the air crew in the eye, allowing you to take control.

I'd have to agree with the comment that these kinds of things aren't going to stop terrorism, if someone is determined to hijack a plane then they would happily hide a ceramic AK47 up their bum to get it onboard.

Next you will have to remove all of your clothes so you don't hide anything under them, and have to have a cavity search before boarding as well as a detailed interrogation. So whilst everyone is having a crappy time trying to fly around, terrorists will be hijacking desert buses and forcing everyone on board to sing Tucson or Bust repeatedly.

They already make you get nekkid.
OT; This is so retarded. If I had to do a flight that is more than three hours without music or movies or games, I'd probably consider blowing my own brains out in frustration. Books can only keep me occupied for so long.

They're also taking out in-flight entertainment on some airlines, combined with no electronics, I hope visitors have a good book to read.

Oh wait, that's right. If a plane is an hour away from the destination, then you are no longer allowed to have anything in your lap.

If you ask me, the terrorists have already won.

Looks like people will have too go back to good ol books :P

Yes, disconnect the movies, that will save us.

Aulleas123:
They're also taking out in-flight entertainment on some airlines, combined with no electronics, I hope visitors have a good book to read.

Oh wait, that's right. If a plane is an hour away from the destination, then you are no longer allowed to have anything in your lap.

If you ask me, the terrorists have already won.

You are correct, and our idiot TSA have no response but to penalize normal people.

Ohhhhhh good. Gonna be some boring fucking flights to come.

Removing electronics? What on hell are they on? I was under the impression that the latest terrorist used a syringe and some (mildly) explosive powder, last time I checked liquids and powders weren't electronic. Plus no in-flight movie, how is that going to help stop terrorists and what the smeg are we meant to do on a flight that lasts more than 2 hours?
Where has all the common sense gone?

...I think my ranting is over now.

When did it go from this:

The Economist:
The most ridiculous new rule prohibits passengers on US-bound international flights from leaving their seats or having anything on their laps-even a laptop or a pillow-during the final hour of flight.

to this:

The Escapist:
has banned all electronics on international flights into the country.

I've been trying to figure it out. Your source isn't covering what you say, and the closest I've seen is no electronics on an hour long flight from Canada.

In fact, according to CBS news, these measures have been eased already

So Escapist, please show me a better source. This kind of flashy writing is upsetting and does not do anything but rile people up.

Man, I really owe my mother for her decision of not immigrating to the US. Especially given that I fly to Taiwan every two years or so. Imagine a 12.5 hour flight with nothing to do!

The terrorists won. We might as well capitulate now and get some freedoms back.

God Damn thank God my family doesn't travel much.
*sigh* so much for getting any use at all out of my PSP those flights were the only times I ever used it, oh well.

EDIT: I've just learned that these have been eased you can now have things on your lap and electronic restictions are being lifted.

Jeez soon there going to tell you to board with only the cloths on your back, and even still your going to get searched upwards of 4 times.

Makes me wanna trive across the atlantic rather then flying. Too bad the Super Bridge will never be made. *sheds a manly tear*

If you don't follow Twitter -- well, I can't say I blame you. But you might find the posts tagged "#tsaslogans" worth a chuckle.

The one that seems to get "retweeted" a lot: "TSA - Protecting you from yesterday, tomorrow."

All we need now is for Chuck Norris to hijack a plane with his bare hands and then we can just ban passengers. What does this mean for Cyborgs?

Blazing Steel:

Nexus Zef:
Next you will have to remove all of your clothes so you don't hide anything under them, and have to have a cavity search before boarding

They already have new scanners that see under your clothing and show you nude.

And that will stop them doing it anyway?

Nexus Zef:

You have to admit that would be funny as hell to see. A burly dude screaming sing as they loop the video over and over again the whole trip on a TV he rigged to the front of the bus.

Taking away yet one more freedom to provide the illusion of safety.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here