All Electronics Banned On International Flights Into U.S.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Still waiting for them to put ED-209 style bots on the planes. Or maybe the TSA should just say "Ah screw 'em all" and do it up like in that movie Con Air.

Are you fucking kidding me?! I'm in Brazil right now and I'm going back to the States in the next three weeks! This is bullshit!
The hell am I going to do without my Zune?
Or my Gameboy?
Assholes!

I gotta fly into Boston in january...if they mean I cant take my iPhone im going to hurt someone! I need my laptop for work! ><""""

Talk about been a larger pain than needed...bloody hell

But he didn't use an electric detonator, but a chemical one... what the hell? And he hid the payload in his underwear, too.

All of which means that he could still do the exact same thing again and still get the bomb in the plane and still detonate it using the same device if he got the mix and the delivery system right.

The only thing he couldn't do is play his DS while he waits for the right time to blow up the plane.

So I guess what I'm saying is WTF?

All joking aside, I know exactly what's going on. It's called "fear management". Somebody tried something, you need to show some sort of reaction to it. The problem is that, as these things get more frequent, the public's awareness to this particular strategy raises, and diminishing returns mean people get more annoyed and less calm when you do this.

Not 100% true. CNN states that they implemented the following rules 1 hour prior to landing in the US on an international flight:

The Transportation Security Administration invoked a "one hour rule" after the thwarted attack, which prohibited passengers on international U.S.-bound flights from leaving their seats during the last hour of a flight, sources said. In addition, passengers had to stow pillows and blankets, and maps viewed on in-flight entertainment screens were disabled during the final hour of flight.

It also states that shortly after this, they reviewed the situation and stated that inflight crew has the ability to determine whether or not to implement this based on the situation.

It's not the full flight. Reagan Airport in DC also has rules like this 30 minutes prior to landing and and taking off from the airport.

so many of you are complaining about how stupid this idea is but all it shows is how connected you all are to technology and how you can't sit still for a couple of hours and i would probably kill myself if i had to deal with that to but think about it in one way or another this will disable international terrorists, but istill say you should jut nuke the fuck out of the middle eastern countries in turmoil until its so bad that bethesda makes fallout 4 based in the middle east.

That is such god damn bullshit. I'm really glad that I don't have to fly to the US and flying I do is to countries that don't have such stupid rules.

I need better answers. The Escapist's source here says nothing about banning all electronics and then the TSA's website addresses none of this.
http://www.tsa.gov/index.shtm

Either there's something they're not telling us or this is just shitty journalism.

King7s:
but istill say you should jut nuke the fuck out of the middle eastern countries in turmoil until its so bad that bethesda makes fallout 4 based in the middle east.

Umm yeah he came from Nigeria, unless my geography is WAY off, thats not in the middle east.

GodsAndFishes:

King7s:
but istill say you should jut nuke the fuck out of the middle eastern countries in turmoil until its so bad that bethesda makes fallout 4 based in the middle east.

Umm yeah he came from Nigeria, unless my geography is WAY off, thats not in the middle east.

In American, Middle-East automatically translates to "where terrorists live". It could be a British, Chinese, or even Eskimo terrorist and he'd still talk about the Middle-East.

EDIT: I'm American. So I can make fun of us.

Simalacrum:
its in times like these that I remember the saying "the terrorists have already won when we take away our own liberties"...

That's...brilliant, actually. Someone should forward that to the Secretary of Transportation.

OT: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

I could only guess what that board meeting was like
"we're going to have to do something about 'the terrorist', anyone got an idea?" says the boss, and then the idiot they put on the board for no good reason goes "I say no more in flight movies" he is then given a raise up to 2 hyperbazillion dollars per week and they put the plan in action.
but this is what saddens me about my country: when one person fucks up, they punish all 308,250,000 of us, and people over seas. for the escapists who don't live in the united states, count your blessing you're not hearing this stuff every day

"Wait... there's something in this man's chest. It's a pacemaker! Quick! Take it out!"

Yeah, that'll go over real well. Anyways, I read that these restrictions have been lifted for the sake of business travelers, but at the personal discretion of the captain may you keep pillows and blankets on. That's it. You're allowed to have electronics.

darthzew:

GodsAndFishes:

King7s:

In American, Middle-East automatically translates to "where terrorists live". It could be a British, Chinese, or even Eskimo terrorist and he'd still talk about the Middle-East.

The Eskimos are the worst...

Mr. Grey:
"Wait... there's something in this man's chest. It's a pacemaker! Quick! Take it out!"

Yeah, that'll go over real well. Anyways, I read that these restrictions have been lifted for the sake of business travelers, but at the personal discretion of the captain may you keep pillows and blankets on. That's it. You're allowed to have electronics.

darthzew:

GodsAndFishes:

King7s:

The Eskimos are the worst...

Middle-Eastern bastards!

King7s:
so many of you are complaining about how stupid this idea is but all it shows is how connected you all are to technology and how you can't sit still for a couple of hours and i would probably kill myself if i had to deal with that to but think about it in one way or another this will disable international terrorists, but istill say you should jut nuke the fuck out of the middle eastern countries in turmoil until its so bad that bethesda makes fallout 4 based in the middle east.

Internet Tough Guy+Criminally uninformed opinion=Profit?

Zaleznikel:
When did it go from this:

The Economist:
The most ridiculous new rule prohibits passengers on US-bound international flights from leaving their seats or having anything on their laps-even a laptop or a pillow-during the final hour of flight.

to this:

The Escapist:
has banned all electronics on international flights into the country.

I've been trying to figure it out. Your source isn't covering what you say, and the closest I've seen is no electronics on an hour long flight from Canada.

In fact, according to CBS news, these measures have been eased already

So Escapist, please show me a better source. This kind of flashy writing is upsetting and does not do anything but rile people up.

This post. While I don't agree with restricting electronics, source never did mention anywhere about banning electronics for the whole flight, only the 1st hour.

Amnestic:

King7s:

Internet Tough Guy+Criminally uninformed opinion=Profit?

It took me a while to actually manage to read that post. I miss the days when punctuation was in vogue.

Besides that, a Fallout in the Middle East would lack the emotional impact that for example the one in DC had. A lot of that came from seeing the familiar city scape in ruins.
My preconceived (and most likely wrong) ideas about the Middle East say it's all a dessert. So when playing it I would be thinking: 'So, what has changed?'
What I mean is, my prejudices would work against the game and prevent immersion in the game world. :)

teh_gunslinger:
\
My preconceived (and most likely wrong) ideas about the Middle East say it's all a dessert.

Is it good with ice cream?

Hell, why don't they just require us to fly naked and chained to our seats? Sounds like it's time for the airlines to tell the TSA to go frak themselves. I mean, if all the big airlines decide to break the rules at once, what the hell are they gonna do about it? Besides get angry. Frankly, the TSA is becoming as big a group of reactionary idiots as the BATF, and those jokers get no respect.

oh goodie next theyre going to have to check your brain for explosion devices

the insanity will end when they can ban people

Amnestic:
If Mr Nigerian General Terrorist guy had gone into the bathroom to light his crotch on fire, would they ban all passengers from using the toilets as well?

Seriously: Fuck you TSA. Your retarded antics are putting me off flying to the U.S. Why don't you just sedate all the passengers for the entire flight?

Actually, it'd make those ten hours wizz by. Not a bad plan...

A la Fifth element, that would be awesome.

What's next? Banning foreigners on international flights? Yes, I can already see it! Want to go to the US? Take a transoceanic boat trip!

Or fly to Canada and drive down...

What? That's just retarded. I'm glad I don't fly. I prefer the rails, anyway.

New hot trend of 2010: Air traffic down, train and ship traffic up. Experts cite new rules on air travel as possible cause.

I still can't see how you got this piece of information, because nothing in your source tells me that they have banned in-flight movies and electronics during the whole flight. I even Ctrl-F-ed the article on the word "electronics" , but didn't show anything. Prove me if I'm wrong, maybe it's just me reading articles 15 minutes after waking up .

Amnestic:
Why don't you just sedate all the passengers for the entire flight?

Actually, it'd make those ten hours wizz by. Not a bad plan...

If you did not forsee this, Feel shame

Anyway, the pseudo bomber has royally fucked all of us. But, it could be worse, he could have succeeded.

King7s:

Well, yeah, we ARE connected to technology, seeing as how it's a predominant fixture in our daily life style. Taking that away from us, even for a few hours, seems like a surreal concept.

And nuking countless innocent people in Middle Eastern countries solves...?

I have a 9 hour flight to the US every year. This is going to be a pain in the arse for me. For Christmas I got a portable DVD player for the exact reason that we are going on a plane, during Christmas. Security has now made this obsolete. Fantastic. Perhaps the idiots who let a KNOWN SECURITY THREAT on board the flight in the first place should be fired, rather than ruining peoples flights.

I've been to America once and I have to say that even before restrictions such as this it's a very nerve racking god awful experience. I was sick with food poisoning at the time, and had to wait in that air port for a good 3 hours or so to get though.

By contrast coming into Britain thoughs guys took one look at me deathly white in a wheel chair with a sick bag in my hand and wheeled straight though customes without so much as a thought.

...Tell me this is from The Onion. As responses to what happened go, this makes no sense whatsoever.

darthzew:
Are you fucking kidding me?! I'm in Brazil right now and I'm going back to the States in the next three weeks! This is bullshit!
The hell am I going to do without my Zune?
Or my Gameboy?
Assholes!

Don't trust me on this.

I think that you can take electronics on the plane it just has to be in the luggage section. You can't have it on your person while on the plane.

Won't people now spend hours worth of boredom thinking about terrorists and what could happen, now they have nothing to do on flights?

That's alright, I've no intention to fly to the US anyway. I'm sure it's a beautiful country, but I've had enough of this crap to see that there are plenty of other destinations. And I'm sure the US tourism board know of cases of my train of thought, and are pissed at the TSA for giving their lifeblood another kick.

Hopefully the TSA will fire whoever thought of this, realize their stupidity, and change the law back.

My parents are flying Heathrow to Denver to go skiing in Breckenridge on Jan 17th. This will not go down well... meh. Told 'em they should have just gone to the Alps...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.