50 Years of Space Exploration on One Map

Pages 1 2 NEXT

It's hard to believe that it's only been a half-century since humans began exploring space in earnest, a half-century represented on this map created by National Geographic.

In case the ridiculously-rapid pace of technological development in the second half of the 20th century doesn't astound you already, consider this: Just 50 years ago, NASA was barely a year old, and humanity was just trying to figure out how to leave the cradle of Earth with the Mercury rocket program. The first man-made satellite had been put into orbit scant years before with the launch of Sputnik in 1957 - and little over a decade later, there was a man standing on the surface of the Moon.

Now, people live in space for months at a time. Our space tools make the vehicles used in the Mercury and Gemini - and even Apollo - programs look positively ancient. If that doesn't boggle your mind, then it should.

National Geographic has put together a map chronicling the past fifty years of human space exploration, and the missions that we've sent to the Moon, Mars, and Venus as well as out into the cold depths of space to investigate Jupiter, Saturn, and beyond.

It's kind of a sobering look, because as much as we've learned, there's still so much we don't know. But that doesn't make it any less fascinating - just look at the photo taken of the center of the Milky Way Galaxy last month to commemorate the 400th anniversary of Galileo's invention of the telescope. You may be able to make out the supermassive black hole in the center of the Galaxy, because it is four million times the size of our own Sun. Holy crap.

If anyone makes a joke about "50 Years, 1 Map" I'm going to ban them.

(Via Gajitz)

I...nah, not worth it.

"Eight failed NASA missions, two successful NASA missions."
"Two failed USSR missions, two successful USSR missions."

Ouch, that's an unpleasant ratio right there.

Just makes you think...
One day, Terrans will rule this system, and then spread across the heavens in a crusade, conquering all that stands before us.

Yes, I love this planet, and Terrans, and wish for us to make our mark. and if we go down, to go down in a blaze of glory. We shall be remembered.

maybe its due to my complete lack of humor, but that doesn't seem like an obvious topic for jokes, how are you even supposed to do that.

"Soo, have you heard about space? yes apperently man has been exploring space for 50 years now! [applause] i know 50 years, and apparently National Geographic have taken all that information, have you heard about this?, and they putted it down on one map![laugher] HeeHee, thank you!"

if i have understood American talk show humor correct you should all be laughing now.

CantFaketheFunk:

I......no.....must resist........

CantFaketheFunk:

I wouldn't have thought of it if you hadn't said anything.

Where could I get one of these maps?

My history professor has a map of the time-line of mankind, and it only covers a small section of his wall. We haven't done much in the time we've been here.

CantFaketheFunk:

Well, there goes what I was going to say...
OT: That's impressive. Is that just for a specific country, or humanity in a whole?

CantFaketheFunk:

It's hard to believe that it's only been a half-century since humans began exploring space in earnest, a half-century represented on this map created by National Geographic.

And we're still only in the faffing around area of advancement. :(

Wow jeez only one map in 50... no, no please, dont. NOOOOOO!!!!. *Banhamer to the face*

I would love to have a copy of one of these maps, screw world domination, the galixy will be mine.

This is pretty cool, and the pic of the galaxy's center is effing awe-inspiring! *new desktop image* Thanks, Funk!

50 years, 1 map, 0 interstellar dragons.

And now this whole thread is people trying to make 50 years 1 Map jokes. Thanks.

Great article though, amazing to see how far we've come.

The Great JT:

or so you THINK!

they are out there, but they are invisible to us................

Kalezian:

The Great JT:

or so you THINK!

Look under your couch...

Very cool stuff.

And that center-of-the-galaxy picture is absolutely wallpapered.

So 50 years and 1 map walk into a bar
ouch!

sorry could not resist

is it weird that more people have commented about being banned if they make a joke than the actual topic?

The Great JT:

And 0 dragons made of rasinbread, either.

darthcendiarygrenade:

Kalezian:

The Great JT:

or so you THINK!

Look under your couch...

only the pink unicorn under there.

please dont get my hopes up, I almost had a happy, but I still has a sad..........

PureChaos:
is it weird that more people have commented about being banned if they make a joke than the actual topic?

The scientific community and the videogaming community don't seem to interchange much.

Also, just a minor thing, but ol' Funk here didn't seem to be reading that article too closely. According to his link, the supermassive black hole is 4 million times the mass of our sun, not size.

Tut.

Supreme Unleaded:
Wow jeez only one map in 50... no, no please, dont. NOOOOOO!!!!. *Banhamer to the face*

I would love to have a copy of one of these maps, screw world domination, the galixy will be mine.

The galaxy won't be urs if you spell it that way.

NASA hasn't really done fuck all in the past...well since they put that last guy on the moon. Sure, they put a couple golf carts on mars; but who cares? They've got all these plans to do shit; but they won't get guys on the moon for another century; if the U.S. lasts that long. Von Braun thought we could put guys on Mars in like the 80s.
Oh and BTW; The ISS isn't all American. If you use that as an arguement towards the effectiveness of NASA I'm sending you a bomb in the mail.

Those images of the centre of the galaxy are pretty cool.

CanadianElite:
NASA hasn't really done fuck all in the past...well since they put that last guy on the moon.

NASA hasn't done much because ham brained Presidents like Bush keep stripping their budgets.

008Zulu:

NASA hasn't done much because ham brained Presidents like Bush keep stripping their budgets.

stating the reason for something dosen't change it.

That's like me saying the ski is blue, and MW2 sux ass; and you saying it's because of the atmosphere, and because IW is lazy.

They still havent done fuckall, even if it can be traced back to Bush. But the US government just does what the people want, you don't c Obama screaming let's give more cash to NASA.

lol all Canada's got is 2 arms. And whenever you hear about the spacearm on the ISS, it's the Canadarm bitch. ( I know they cheaped out on getting another A )

Sebenko:

The Great JT:

And 0 dragons made of rasinbread, either.

Mmmmm, raisinbread...
And NG has actually published other space exploration maps, so the ratio is better than 50:1. They did kinda skimp on this one not detailing every mission, not even providing the names and dates. They coulda done that.
I'm still waiting for the probe to come to attempt contact with the dodo birds.

That's pretty cool, but it fails to mention that Voyager has almost left the Solar System. Oh well.

Kalezian:

darthcendiarygrenade:

Kalezian:

The Great JT:

or so you THINK!

Look under your couch...

only the pink unicorn under there.

please dont get my hopes up, I almost had a happy, but I still has a sad..........

Sorry, man. My couch had one, so I'd just assumed...

Its so great, and yet its basically just seeing the tip of the tip of the iceberg. Much more is left to be discovered.

So a priest, a rabbi, and a map take 50 years to walk into a bar...

OT: I'm honestly surprised. I didn't think we had gotten that far yet. Proof that low expectations can lead to optimism, I suppose.

Well. Wow.

008Zulu:
Those images of the centre of the galaxy are pretty cool.

CanadianElite:
NASA hasn't really done fuck all in the past...well since they put that last guy on the moon.

And then there are the ham-brained presidents like a certain Kenyan who needs not be named giving 700 billion dollars to his buddies. Not much of that went to NASA, it seems.

OT:

Grayjack72:
That's pretty cool, but it fails to mention that Voyager has almost left the Solar System. Oh well.

I assume they didn't mention it because it has(or had, at the time of map creation) not actually left the solar system, IMO.

CanadianElite:

Hubble. You lose.

Joeshie:

CanadianElite:

Hubble. You lose.

a) that's just a big camera. Looking at things isnt that big an accomplishment. That's a smaller deal than a person in space.
b) That thing's getting retired soon.
c) It's nothing compared to Mars; or even a moon base.

CanadianElite:

Joeshie:

CanadianElite:

Hubble. You lose.

a) that's just a big camera. Looking at things isnt that big an accomplishment. That's a smaller deal than a person in space.
b) That thing's getting retired soon.
c) It's nothing compared to Mars; or even a moon base.

I didn't realize making huge discoveries about the universe "isnt that big an accomplishment". The scientific knowledge accumulated from Hubble is far greater than a trip to Mars.

All you are basically interested in is PR events. Sad.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.