Leaked Video Shows Half-Life 2 Played on Project Natal

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Leaked Video Shows Half-Life 2 Played on Project Natal

Don't count your chickens just yet, folks, but this leaked video may show someone using the Project Natal beta to play Valve's beloved 2004 shooter, Half-Life 2.

Okay, right off the bat: The source for this video is unconfirmed (and will probably get fired if they ever do come forward) so take this with a heaping of salt high enough to make the Dead Sea feel inadequate. While it's certainly possible that the video is faked, if it is it's a very, very convincing fake - in it, we see a man using what is presumably Microsoft's Project Natal to control Gordon Freeman in Half-Life 2 as he walks around Dr. Eli Vance's office Dr. Kleiner's lab interacting with objects.

It's a very interesting look at how the Minority Report-esque control might work with more "traditional" games, as the view seems responsive (though there looks to be a tiny bit of input lag) and everything he's doing to interact with the objects seems to work well enough. Of course, Natal had better be responsive if it's ever going to take off.

What we don't see, notably, is any gunplay - Natal might work fine for walking around the lab and looking at stuff, but how is it going to work when the Combine are ready to shove a stun baton up your ass?

Again, there's nothing confirmed here and Microsoft is keeping mum and refusing to comment on rumors. It could be a fake, but if it's real it's a very interesting look behind the scenes at Natal.

Maybe this is why Valve is taking so long to release Episode 3.

(Gossip Gamers)

Could be fake, but still at least intresting.

Imagine playing Half-Life 2 all the way through like this...certainly add a whole new spin onto the series.

Well, if anyone does come forward to colloberate it, be something in Natal's favour other than creepy children!

Well, that is very interesting.
Although I will have some of that salt if it is still on offer.
Some things are too good to be true. so, just too unlikely.

Very interesting, but it looks a bit awkward... it's gonna take some getting used to at the very least.

Hmm... Could be fake.

Also I could see the controls become obstructive.

Saw it a few days ago, didn't get me excited...even if it was real.

Blah. I hate Natal so far, and doing this to a game that needs no extra gimmicks to be amazing isn't going to make it any better.

Onyx Oblivion:

By the way, did you get that explanation I sent you?

I'd choose a controler in a New York minute.

Furburt:

Onyx Oblivion:

By the way, did you get that explanation I sent you?

Yes. I liked the way he was merely going to the post office. But he was likely going to do something evil there, anyway.

Onyx Oblivion:

Yes. I liked the way he was merely going to the post office. But he was likely going to do something evil there, anyway.

Grand, just making sure.

I'm alternately proud and disgusted that I have the free time necessary to do that.

How is he making Freeman walk?

Furburt:

Onyx Oblivion:

Grand, just making sure.

I'm alternately proud and disgusted that I have the free time necessary to do that.

Go with disgusted!

Interesting, but I'll take a mouse and keyboard any day...

Erm... blasphemy?

Okay, i can see how Natal can add to immersion, but it's not as convinient as a classic gamepad or mouse+keyboard anyway.

Looks interesting. I might even consider not using mouse and key board for some games if this was fun enough to use. Or not a 360, or whatever the hell Natal is supposed to be - I'm not exactly up there with the news.

Although this does look like one of those badass interactive computer screens from Minority Report. Add the cool gloves, and it'd be awesome.

CantFaketheFunk:
While it's certainly possible that the video is faked

You think? That video looked very unconvincing to me. And if it was real then playing games (and i mean proper games and not just some shoverware) with it must be a pain considering how much problem that guy appeared to have with doing basic things like walking around the lab.

Im gonna say Fake. Either way Natal is gonna be crap anyway, Waiting for the Motion Sensor Craze to go die in a swap somewhere

well, looks real, but is it leaked or "leaked". no matter what this is a big old who cares in my book. it's a good game, but I hate motion control to the bone.

I think it's an intentional leak. The classic status of Half-Life 2 being intended to reassure/recruit the support of gamers who have so far been critical of it.

Basically a very well planned viral marketing attempt to help prep the market.

Looks like a pain in the ass to use for any lengthy amount of time. Especially with how awkward it seemed, and how the guy seemed to have trouble getting it to look/do exactly where/what he wanted. He'd have been pretty much fucked if there was any combat.

Motion control can die in a fire as far as I'm concerned, even if it is ever perfected.

I....don't like it. I feel the whole thing would get very disorientating very fast. Especially during intense firefights where your body is a lot more prone to be jerky.

Looks good! Im actully lookign forwards to something liek that.
The future is here!

All that movement looks like too much effort for me.

If that's what it's like, then it'll be exceptionally tedious.

Trying to look around using that with people popping grenades up your arse just seems like an infuriating proposition.

hURR dURR dERP:
Very interesting, but it looks a bit awkward... it's gonna take some getting used to at the very least.

Yes, but... why?

I'm already "used to" a controller. Why would I want to get used to not having one?

The biggest problems I see in Natal (or any motion-sensitive technology) in the "traditional gaming" sense are ambiguity and throw.

Taking the Burnout demo they did last year as an example: if I'm using a Racing Wheel controller, and I push my foot down on a pedal, there's no ambiguity -- the game knows I mean to accelerate my car. Without the controller, how does the game know that I'm accelerating, breaking, stretching my foot, or kicking one of my kids' toys out of my way? How does it separate intentional from incidental movements?

As for "throw", or the distance the input device travels before the input is registered (old Atari joysticks used to be rated by how much or little throw was required): look how much the guy is moving his hands to make Freeman turn and walk around the lab. Do that with a controller, and only your thumbs move maybe an inch in any given direction at most. I'll take a controller and go head-to-head with someone on Natal any day. After a half hour or so, his arms are going to be so worn out that even with my lack of skill, I should be able to beat him at least half the time.

And that doesn't even get into how you'd do "special moves". Yeah, the demos are very impressive showing a 1:1 relationship between the player and their in-game character, but you're not telling me that I am going to now perform Chun Li's spinning bird kick by actually turning myself upside-down and spinning my legs like a helicopter.

Videos like this worry me. Natal could really enhance games, or be used for all new classes of games. (Lionhead's Milo demo, cheezy as it was, showed a lot of promise.) But they're just not going to work to completely replace the controller in all cases, and if that's where they try to go, it'll fall on its face, hard -- and take any investment in the technology (good or bad) with it.

I keep seeing the word "interesting" in response to this. Here's my response: "stupid."
The part they're showing here doesn't represent the core gameplay, it's just Gordon dicking around in Kleiner's lab. That motion control gimic might be fine gameplay for an adventure/puzzle game like Myst, but for an action scenario like, say, 95% of HL2, it's not going to cut it; action on Natal would be either very slow or extremely tedious (note how the player spends five seconds trying to hit a button).
I hope Valve is just doing this to keep Peter Molyneux (sp?) happy or something; otherwise this is a dead-end project that's distracting them from making real games.

CantFaketheFunk:
we see a man using what is presumably Microsoft's Project Natal to control Gordon Freeman in Half-Life 2 as he walks around Dr. Eli Vance's office interacting with objects.

Good sir, I have reason to believe that is Dr. Kleiner's lab ;)

Anyway, it looks pretty cool. Certainly looks like it plays well enough with Natal.

Then again, that's assuming it's not a fake.

If this is real I'm suddenly very excited for project natal.

So....can i sit down and relax while playing this? Sorry but even though it "Looks Nifty" it still holds the same appeal to me as it did before. THUMBS DOWN!

To me, it looks like someone else is playing with a mouse and keyboard while some guy is standing in front of a screen awkwardly moving his hands. The movement doesn't sync up and there's no noticeable way that he is moving around.
I have no probably with motion controls and even enjoy them (Wii sports is so much fun), but this looks fake.

Interesting. Though I can't see this working in a shooter, it would be better if specific games were made with this in mind instead of trying to shoehorn it into a genre is wouldn't fit.

There's always the possiblity of a fake. But by god, would that be cool or what!

i don't really see the added benefit of taking a game and changing the controls so that you have to flap your arms about to make it work. impressive but i wouldn't pay a few hundred pounds for the 'benefit' of having to work harder to get enjoyment out of something

Well the quality of the film certainly makes me suspicious. Even then I couldn't figure out how the guy was doing all those things with his hands.

I'm sure a proper source will be found soon. Though for right now, the quality of the film; hard-to-define controls; and non-publicity of this makes this seem fake.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here