Voice of Duke Nukem Indicates Forever Won't Go Away

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Voice of Duke Nukem Indicates Forever Won't Go Away

Jon St. John, best known as the voice of Duke Nukem, dropped some cryptic and facetious hints at MAGfest indicating that gaming's most famous piece of vaporware might not have evaporated after all.

You can't keep a good Duke Nukem down. Much in the same way that you can't keep a very determined zombie down - it may be a hulking, twisted abomination, but it's technically not down. Despite Duke Nukem Forever designers shedding light on the doomed project, sources indicated that DNF might still be in development.

Those rumors may be corroborated thanks to Jon "Come Get Some" St. John, the voice of the Duke himself. St. John showed up at MAGFest last weekend in Washington, D.C. as a panelist. When asked about Duke Nukem Forever during his panel, he said that he wasn't able to talk about the game, leading to a groan from the crowd.

But then, St. John continued with a proverbial wink of the eye (well, maybe an actual wink of the eye, I can't see his other eye when he says it), "No, no, don't be disappointed. Read between the lines. Why am I not allowed to talk about it?"

St. John then went on to display exactly why he was the voice of Duke, thanking the girl who gave him the can of Bawls he was drinking. Yes, Jon St. John, you do in fact have Bawls of Aluminum.

The video is up at Brave New Gamer, so we can all breathe a sigh of relief that Duke Nukem Forever may not be dead after all. Wait, is that relief? Sorry, that might have been exasperation instead. Yeah, definitely exasperation.

(Via Kotaku)

God, if he sounds like Duke that all the time, id steal that voice.

Its THAT badass.

Just give it up guys. Move on. Find a new game.

This message has just come in to the Developers of Duke Nukem Forever from everyone on the planet that doesn't work at 3DRealms...

WE DON'T CARE

That is all. Duke Nukem is dead... :(

I eagerly await it.

Oh who am I kidding?

It's going to be a piece of shit if it ever does come out, which it never will.

I can't tell if the whole ordeal is some insane publicity stunt. I'd find it rather funny if it got released unannounced, leaving dedicated fans in a rabid hunt when someone finds out.

After waiting so long for this game, I'm still curious to see what they spent the last 12 years doing. It's got to be at least half decent when they spent that long on it.

OH DEAR GOD NOOOOOOOOO....

now the fans will flood the webz with a bunch of fake "news flash" and it will be everything they will talk for the next 5 years

It's never coming out and I doubt people care anymore. I'll bet it'll be another 12 years before there's even so much as another hint that they MIGHT still be working on it.

I smell a dirty rat...

Oh and that guy is up to something. I don't like it... whatever it may be.

Now the joke will continue longer. Thank you, for wasting our time and excitement for this game. Let the game just die, please.

For the love of all that is sacred, this game just won't flush, will it?

I posted this on Slashdot a while back, I'm going to re-post it here;

Does anyone else just grimace when they see "Duke Nukem"-anything related news anymore? I was 7 when Duke Nukem 3d came out, and although freaking awesome, what of note has the franchise done since?

Been a bucketload of fail, and a waste of terabytes of useless "news" stories posted on the internet.

Can we just call this one, guys? Time of death: 2005 (and that's being GENEROUS).

/rant

Amnestic:

They're not beating it. They're pulverizing it with a lawn mover equipped with a chainsaw.

Duke Nukem 3D was a fantastic shooter at the time but I'm sure most of us can agree that most of the games released Duke related after that were rather bad. And Duke Nukem Forever would just have been more of the same, a somewhat pretty game that played like Doom.

Duke Nukem 3D is fun for simple reasons. It doesn't need to be (and probably won't be) a technically good game, as long as it's stupid, simple fun. How hard can it be to develop stupid, simple fun? I still say that, if a Duke Nukem Forever does finally come out, it probably won't be a pile of crap.

Jesus, when did it get to the point that Duke Nukem related news gets as warm a welcome as Twilight news?

I really hope this game comes out eventually.

If they are going to do it they need to get it done and it needs to get Yahtzee to be unable to review it because it is gold. Otherwise this is like the guy who keeps bringing up the joke after it is dead, and the guy agreed to never say it again.

I want the game to come out, only to be met by non existent sales and a critical butt fuck!

And here I was, thinking: "Man, I would love to have another 12 years of Duke Nukem Whenever -jokes".

Thank you, guys.

tmujir955:

Amnestic:

They're not beating it. They're pulverizing it with a lawn mover equipped with a chainsaw.

Hey it is a slow time of year so why not keep dredging up DNF?

Maybe I should bring back my Duke Nukem impression. When its finally released, people will love it again.

Looking forward to playing it. Just as I was back in 99. They had a preview for half-Life and Duke Nukem in the same issue of Computer Gaming World. Both expected to be released around the same time.

i find it very ironic that this is the fist thing i saw after i watched the latest zero punctuation. i wonder what Yahtzee thinks about all this...

squid5580:

tmujir955:

Amnestic:

...cause they've done it for 12 years already!?

DeadlyYellow:
I can't tell if the whole ordeal is some insane publicity stunt. I'd find it rather funny if it got released unannounced, leaving dedicated fans in a rabid hunt when someone finds out.

Sorta Like Chinese Democracy... In which case, there may be hope for DNF yet...

tmujir955:

squid5580:

tmujir955:

Amnestic:

...cause they've done it for 12 years already!?

Can you imagine the reprecussions if they didn't post an article though? The way things have been lately it is either point fingers at some moron going on about how games are bad and give them a ton of hits or DNF. I prefer they stick to DNF.

...hasn't he been Duke Nukem for the last 12 years? And couldn't he not say anything about the game then, either?

Am i one of the people that actually wants this to come just on the virtue that it is a Duke Nukem game and even if it is a bog standard FPS by modern standards i will probably still enjoy it because i enjoy Duke's character so much

... and so the most futile of hopes in the world of gaming is resuscitated and put on life support. Again. *sigh*

If this game ever comes out, I'm going to buy it twice. No matter how bad it is.

Just on principle.

I'm not even entirely sure what principle that is, but dammit I don't care.

No, no, no, NO, NO, NO! NO!! NO!!!

GARGFHLGHHHHBLLLLMGGGGGHHHHFFLLLWWWRAAAAAA!

Ok, now that my tantrum is over I can only add this: The game is DEAD! It will never, ever, EVER be released. And this man should burn in the holy fire of the Emperor's rage just for dragging that carcass to the surface again.

I wish that the public at large could send those people a letter saying that nobody wants this game to not be dead. Give it a rest. Make a good game instead of making this.

Give it a rest, man! It's over! DNF's dead! You don't get a "Reset" button in real-life! It's done! You've failed!

What's really sad is that people will actually get excited about this, thinking this thing really will get released one day.

Duke Nukem isn't dead...3d Realms is haha >:]

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or