Meet Darksiders' Other Three Horsemen of the Apocalypse

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Meet Darksiders' Other Three Horsemen of the Apocalypse

Darksiders' War may have his hands full with combat and puzzles, but the game's Creative Director has art for the remaining three Horsemen of the Apocalypse in case, y'know, they ever need a sequel (or DLC).

Joe "Joe Mad" Madureira, best known for his work as the artist for Uncanny X-Men during those Wacky '90s, lent his talents to Vigil Games' excellent Darksiders as the Creative Director. But while the game stars War, one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, one has to wonder - what happened to the other three? Were they just sitting on their asses waiting for their buddy to get the game done? Why didn't they lend a hand?

Well, those questions may not be answered, but we do know what they look like. Madureira told VG247 that he'd already designed the other three Horsemen, and publisher THQ then sent the concept art over. While we caught a glimpse of all four together, this is the first we've seen them up close, and the remaining three are all clearly vintage Joe Mad-style.

Unlike the traditional Four Horsemen - War, Pestilence/Conquest, Famine, Death - the Darksiders quartet is War, Fury, Strife, and Death. It seems to me that you'd have a bit of overlap there with the first three, but hey, what do I know? I'm not a Horseman - I can't even ride a horse.

Death looks like you'd expect, complete with skull mask, raven, and scythe. Fury is the token female of the group, featuring impossible anatomy and using (naturally) a whip, whereas Strife opts for a tattered gunslinger cloak to match his awesomely oversized revolvers. Interestingly enough, War already uses two of these weapons - the scythe and the revolver - in the game itself, so I wonder if the remaining Horsemen are pissed at him for taking their schtick. (And check the full-size art out at the original VG247 link, by the way!)

The art is cool, and very emblematic of that silly-and-yet-awesome over-the-top 90s grimdark aesthetic that Joe Mad does very well. If Darksiders does well, he told VG247, the developer "would love the chance to work on a sequel." So maybe War's three buddies will show up after all. Four-player coop, anyone?

Death looks so cool!

And I'm guessing that's Fury in the picture, then?

I beleive that the other 3 horsemen have disappeared. I had assumed that some of the quests would discover the others or possibly allow you to play with them in other playthroughs. although if you get there weapons it may mean they have died/gone over to the legions of hell and left their weapons behind

John Funk:

Death looks like you'd expect, complete with skull mask, raven, and scythe.

I DON'T THINK THEY CAUGHT MY GOOD SIDE THOUGH.
SQUEAK?
WELL, THEY ARE ONLY HUMAN.

In an old game informer article they said that you would run into the other horsemen along the way, i guess it was on of the ideas cut, and like you said maybe they're going to come out with a game centered on each of them.

Conquest, War, Pestilence and Death. As far as i recall, these were the names of the four horsemen. So i must ask you, my dear Escapist, who the FUCK are Strife and Fury?

Wait, wait, wait! War and Death I remember, but Fury and Strife? Aren't the other two supposed to be Famine and Plague? Or did they decide that playing as characters that steal food and spread disease wouldn't make a good game? I think it could be done, but what do I know?

ThatDudeThere:
Conquest, War, Pestilence and Death. As far as i recall, these were the names of the four horsemen. So i must ask you, my dear Escapist, who the FUCK are Strife and Fury?

War, Famine, Pestilence and Death surely? ALthough Pestilence left the band muttering something about Penicillin and was replaced by Pollution.

ThatDudeThere:

somekindarobot:
Wait, wait, wait! War and Death I remember, but Fury and Strife? Aren't the other two supposed to be Famine and Plague? Or did they decide that playing as characters that steal food and spread disease wouldn't make a good game? I think it could be done, but what do I know?

The_root_of_all_evil:

ThatDudeThere:

War, Famine, Pestilence and Death surely?

Like I said, Darksiders' Horsemen trades out Pestilence/Conquest and Famine for Strife and Fury. I don't know why; they just do.

Is it just me or does Strife look like a cross between Raziel (from legacy of Kain) and an EVA?

John Funk:

Like I said, Darksiders' Horsemen trades out Pestilence/Conquest and Famine for Strife and Fury. I don't know why; they just do.

Does seem a little bit silly though

I am Death and I will kill you.
I am War and I will destroy your land.

I am Strife and I will change channel while you're watching TV.
I am Fury and I will wave my arms and shout a lot.

Yeah...can we have the old two back please? :)

Here's the thing thought, from a game play point of view, there's some redundancy (In fact, there's a lot of it) between Pestilence and Famine...

Both would most likely have ability that center around weakening enemies, dealing damage over time, etc. Both would look like somewhat sickly fellows.

Not to mention that in some version of the bible, it's not Pestilence, but Conquest in the first place... and heck, if we want to talk about overlapping themes... how about Conquest and War?

Also, in the book, well... Famine's weapon is a scale. Yeah. A scale he's supposed to use to weight the ratio of grain::people and screw it up so people die of hunger. I don't know if beating people to death with a scale is all that appealing graphically.

I guess since they were going to take some liberties, they decided to scrap the two 'lesser known' Horseman and redo them.

WTF's with death. Damn, I don't like that. Death should be a tall lanky skeleton. With sweet robes. Unless theres something about this games style im missing.

TheNamlessGuy:
Death looks so cool!

Most definetly!!! Death is epic win. Imagine that draging you back to hell!

The_root_of_all_evil:

John Funk:

Death looks like you'd expect, complete with skull mask, raven, and scythe.

I DON'T THINK THEY CAUGHT MY GOOD SIDE THOUGH.
SQUEAK?
WELL, THEY ARE ONLY HUMAN.

Major points awarded for includeing the "Death of Rats."

seriously? no famine or plague? i would have thought as plague you could use sort of green plagueee magic. cant think of anything for famine but plague should be fine

Wow, that concept art looks great, I'm definitely gonna pick up Darksiders. (I was planning to about a year ago when it was first shown.)

Didn't they say they wanted to make a sequel? If the first is great I'll be happy for them to make one and improve on what sucks, (so podcast I watch said it had no wow, just lots of cool) as long as the other Horsemen are as badass as War.

Hmmm, did they mix it up? Pestilent would have been awesome, I hate the fact there is so many different kinds of Horsemen. (Look it up, so many different named.)

The_root_of_all_evil:

John Funk:

I laughed my ass off at this i actually pictured him changing the channel and doing the im not touching you bit.

It's kind of mystifying how many people these days can type, but not read. He said Pestilence and Famine had been swapped out in the damned article, guys (I guess being sick and hungry isn't "bad-ass" enough" for today's crowd).

On a less pissy note, is anybody else reminded of the old Blood games? Looks like we have a proper bunch of Chosen going on.

The_root_of_all_evil:

ThatDudeThere:

War, Famine, Pestilence and Death surely? ALthough Pestilence left the band muttering something about Penicillin and was replaced by Pollution.

Awesome Good Omens reference there.

Still don't completely understand why keeping the original names of the Horsemen was so out of the question. Hell, Pestilence and Famine could be fucking awesome. Pestilence could kill everyone with ebola and Famine could destroy his enemies with an army of Mary Kate Olsens.

On the topic of a possible sequel.
Yes.
Finished the game last night and yes the story was left open to a large chance of a sequel appearing.
For those needing proof click the spoiler tags.
I wont spoil it for those playing and not finished.

On the topic of the actual thread.
The art looks awesome, I personally thought the overall look of darksiders was pretty sweet, I mean just look at War and Death.

Strife is the traditional name of Conquest (and by traditional I mean OLDER THEN DIRT). Fury is the only one they really changed out...why I have no idea, perhaps they couldn't think of anything cool for Pestilence.

As for their location during the game:

There's alot of backround information that is sadly never touched on in the game at all that I only know about due to the wiki, such as the nature of the Horsemen.

The_root_of_all_evil:

John Funk:

Have to agree about Fury and attach all the politically incorrect jokes to that if you will, But changing the channels on the tv is like the new Famine...too some... but if you really need to play as famine its kind of hard, i mean do you load up sim city and take away all the cities power supply?

Death looks awful, it takes away his overall cloaked and reserved appearence (lost for words on this part) to make him look like a rock star wannabe?, im sorry i find it hard to respect somebody who looks like a greasy rock fan dressed up like Vega or Casey Jones, needs a haircut, cloak and hood.

pha kin su pah:

The_root_of_all_evil:

John Funk:

Have to agree about Fury and attach all the politically incorrect jokes to that if you will, But changing the channels on the tv is like the new Famine...too some... but if you really need to play as famine its kind of hard, i mean do you load up sim city and take away all the cities power supply?

Death looks awful, it takes away his overall cloaked and reserved appearence (lost for words on this part) to make him look like a rock star wannabe?, im sorry i find it hard to respect somebody who looks like a greasy rock fan dressed up like Vega or Casey Jones, needs a haircut, cloak and hood.

Famine would work as the game's, "lose your powers opening" if they do that again. Pestilence would spew acid all over the place. They didn't need to be changed.

John Funk:
Fury is the token female of the group, featuring impossible anatomy and using (naturally) a whip.

Okay, I've gotta ask... how the hell is that "impossible anatomy"?
That seems pretty goddamn tame by almost any standards as she's built like an olympic swimmer, not an anime character.

"Well, those questions may not be answered,..."

Until the end of the game you mean. Though it also basically tells you why they aren't there a half hour in...

ThatDudeThere:

This is what I'm saying! (Although I believe in Conquest, War, Famine and Death, but still same difference)

They probably just did it because Conquest/Pestilence and Famine couldn't be combat oriented enough.

Which is stupid.

edit: Changed my Avatar to Death.

Because I love Death.

Booze Zombie:

John Funk:
Fury is the token female of the group, featuring impossible anatomy and using (naturally) a whip.

Okay, I've gotta ask... how the hell is that "impossible anatomy"?
That seems pretty goddamn tame by almost any standards as she's built like an olympic swimmer, not an anime character.

Spines do not work that way.

ThatDudeThere:

actually its FAMINE, war, pestilance, and death.

OP the developers have already made an anouncement that there will be no dlc for darksiders

John Funk:
Spines do not work that way.

If you say so, it just looks like she's standing up straight to me.

I just can't see how she has an impossible spine...

Oh well.

ThatDudeThere:
Conquest, War, Famine and Death. As far as i recall, these were the names of the four horsemen. So i must ask you, my dear Escapist, who the FUCK are Strife and Fury?

I guess Strife could be linked to Famine, the bible verse goes something like, "One quart of wheat for a day's wages, and three quarts of barley for a days wages and don't damage the wine and oil", I guess it's to bugger the poor people who need wheat and barley to create strife between the rich and poor folk.

Wasn't this released like ages ago?

I might just be thinking of fanart, but I mean I swear I've seen this before.

wait wait wait wait.... aren't the four riders death, pestilence, famine and time??

Jaredin:

TheNamlessGuy:
Death looks so cool!

Most definetly!!! Death is epic win. Imagine that draging you back to hell!

i find the old fashion deah more terrorfying.

black cloak,no face just void,and a farmers scythe.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here