Meet the Box Art for Left 4 Dead 3 - Er, Heavy Rain

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

StriderShinryu:
EU is definitely nicer... and what's with the italicized "Rain?"

Pretty much my thinking on that. I'm so disappointed by this cover art. I'm really, really looking forward to playing this game, but this art is just so overwhelmingly generic.

its a genuine bugger this ain't out on the PC.

I can think of many a bored-of-WoW-person who would be interested.

That and this does look good.

Hurray for Europe.

I don't really get why there should be different box arts AT ALL. Sure, you might need to change the text a slight bit if you're going from japanese to english, for example (because of the different fonts) but everything else should be the same, NO MATTER WHAT. Thank you.

Man, this sucks, I LOVE subtle box art, especially Stark White + Fanciful Logo, it evokes happy memories of Final Fantasy. I even bought the Special Edition of Mass Effect just to dodge the stupid box art on the normal version.

Wait, wait, wait
They're gonna give you the box art for the EU version?

That's...
Ingenious!

Is this only coming out for PS3 then? I mean I still not sure how its all going to actually work but it's still going to be a fairly important game and one I "feel" I should play

Alternate box art will get me interested in a game when browsing.

I'm just a stuck up person who prefers imagery I guess.

I don't have a PS3 yet, but when I get one I intend on getting Heavy Rain with or without the abstract box art.

The American box-art looks more like a movie poster since it tries to show off the "actors." Notice that it also only has the woman with a full torso shot *cough*for her boobs*cough*. I think it looks less interesting but having more junk shove into it may entice the average American moron more.

Well, the boobs are pretty obvious, but the font was changed for two reasons that I can think of:

1) That clean-cut style is the current fad for everything from fonts to ipods to GUI's. So they wanted to be "current."

2) The PS3 is no exception, and its logo and game-box border follow the clean-cut aesthetic. Therefore, they wanted the game font to match. And it does match better, even if it's less original.

Nutcase:
What do you know, one of the few subtle box arts in a while butchered in favor of a wet T-shirt display and a brandished gun. Now if only there was a fiery explosion in the background and a few more guns to go around, it would be perfect.

I'm starting to feel insulted.

It's like they have some American box-art design flowchart or checklist at Sony HQ that goes soemthing along the lines of this:

"Are there tits?" - Yes

"Is someone holding a gun?" - Heck yeah!

"Explosions?" - had to make room for the tits, but at least they are wet!

"Is there something related to the actual thing we are advertising?" - I think so...

Excellent! Now the American demographic will eat your game up!

I see no problems with it. Actually, I prefer it. The EU boxart offers no hints as to what the game is about other than origami: it looks like a expensive art game. The US one looks like a detective game, which is far more accurate.

The italics are weird, but the rest of the box for the US is solid work.

US market: not mature enough to appreciate a game unless it has a hollywood style 'profiles poster' box art. Hurray! I'm going to go back to suck on my pacifier now! [/smug]

It amuses me that you cannot read HEAVY without having your eyes drawn to her braless cleavage. Shine on you simple minded American males, or rather your sexually repressed box-art designers!

Americans, caught in perpetual puberty, are far more character-centric, reacting more favorably to the box art that best displays the action-hero machismo and titillating jugglies that best hold the attention of the 13-year-old boy mentality they are marketing to, even (lately ESPECIALLY) when that is not even the demographic that will want to play your game. Every notice how many game boxes are adorned with the main protagonist's mug taking up most of the front? Especially in combat/shooter games. And they all look eerily familiar at that, and have the same fucking grim determination scowl plastered all over their five-o'clock-shadowed faces.

Europeans, on the other hand, can be best equated to the snobbish late 20 to early 30-somethings art house crowd twats. Their tastes in box art aesthetics mostly align with that of classic film. If you compare box art, many EU games go the atmosphere route, setting the scene and tempo a player can expect from the game while paying less attention to the protagonist or foregoing showing him/her all together.

As for Japan, they like bright colors and shiny objects. Loud noises will also hold their attention.

Well that IS the American philosophy. Tits + Guns = GREAT SUCCESS

Hallow'sEve:
I like the American one, but I guess that just makes me weird...or just American....

I feel the same way

Though I'm not surprised most people agree with the poster of the news article, that happens a lot on the Escapist.

I honestly thought this box art looked very professional and sleek but reading all these comments makes me second guess myself. The EU box art, to me, just looks like a rushed, ugly, slapped-on mess. It's depressing and not professional.

EDIT: And I hope that's just a really low-quality version of the EU box art because it is quite fuzzy

Why doesn't the US one have the splotched effect on the logo? I thought that was brilliant.

What is is with US boxart and suckage? Seriously, it always seems like we get shafted when it comes to boxart. Just look at the Japanese box art for Ico, for crying out loud! That shit's ART, man! Now look at the US art! It's awful!

Monshroud:
The EU box art is a lot nicer IMO. I've never really understood companies need to redesign the packaging for different markets.

Really? I mean I agree with the fact that the EU box art is better, but you seriously have no idea why companies redesign for different markets? Honestly, you like answered the question with the question, they do so because its different markets. That would like me tring to sell tap water to Americans and Africans. In America, I'd have piss poor business because they'd know its just fucking tap water, so I would have to come up with some gimmick to make mine seem better. Whilst in Africa I could say its just fucking tap water and probably be just fine.

scotth266:
I see no problems with it. Actually, I prefer it. The EU boxart offers no hints as to what the game is about other than origami: it looks like a expensive art game. The US one looks like a detective game, which is far more accurate.

The italics are weird, but the rest of the box for the US is solid work.

I have to agree with you here, most people here seem to be forgetting what game cover should do ... above all it should give you an idea of what the game is about or show the characters involved in it which in turn hints at what type of game it is (i.e Thief: the dark project has Garret carrying a bow and covered in heavy shadows and wearing a dark blue cloak ... it shows he is a thief and that shadows play a big role in the game .. a.k.a stealth gameplay .. and that's just one example)

So the EU cover is too ambiguous and doesn't give an idea what the game is about or even hint at it ... EU cover is more suitable for game artwork book or an art exhibition .. not a game cover .. they should never be abstract IMO.

Boooooring!

It's a pity the art is so uninspiring because the game is done by Quantic Dreams game so we can be guaranteed some sort of headf*ck.

Snowalker:

Monshroud:
The EU box art is a lot nicer IMO. I've never really understood companies need to redesign the packaging for different markets.

Really? I mean I agree with the fact that the EU box art is better, but you seriously have no idea why companies redesign for different markets? Honestly, you like answered the question with the question, they do so because its different markets. That would like me tring to sell tap water to Americans and Africans. In America, I'd have piss poor business because they'd know its just fucking tap water, so I would have to come up with some gimmick to make mine seem better. Whilst in Africa I could say its just fucking tap water and probably be just fine.

I never said I didn't know why. I said I didn't understand the need. For some products I admit it is necessary. At least in my experience between US and EU, the gamers seem to have similar tastes. Now the Asian market is a different story.

For myself, the US box art actually doesn't interest me. If I knew nothing of the game and I saw the US box art, I probably would pass right by it. The EU version would at least make me pick up the box and read the back just to see what that is all about.

EU box art looks cooler but I can't get it 'cos I have to get MAG and then after MAG I have to get Modnation Racers, OOOOOHHH, I can't wait for Modnation Racers!!!!

CuddlyCombine:
Hahaha. While I feel like far too big of a misanthrope saying this, I think I understand why they took this route perfectly.

You see, the feature that dominates the European edition's boxart is the crane. Stylistic; noir; thrilling. Excellent from an art point-of-view.

The thing that dominates the American boxart is a woman. More specifically, a woman's breasts. More specifically, a woman's breasts, slightly glistening with rain.

That's probably why they simplified the typeface. Also, there's more light on the left side of the picture, as well as a lot more activity. Can't help but accuse the boobs.

This is probably closest to the money. Boobs sell copies. Style comes second.

I prefer the European box art myself, and if I saw it in a store opposed to the American cover I would buy it instead. Why? Because it has mystery; I want to see what's so symbolic about the bloodstained origami. The American one just looks generic and doesn't stand out form the multitude of other games out there. If I really want boobs, I'll play Bayonetta or a Soul Calibur game.

Monshroud:

Snowalker:

Monshroud:

I never said I didn't know why. I said I didn't understand the need. For some products I admit it is necessary. At least in my experience between US and EU, the gamers seem to have similar tastes. Now the Asian market is a different story.

For myself, the US box art actually doesn't interest me. If I knew nothing of the game and I saw the US box art, I probably would pass right by it. The EU version would at least make me pick up the box and read the back just to see what that is all about.

Point taken, misread.

Alyx Vance, eat your heart out. We have a new love. Her name is... um... tank top; Wet Tanktop.

Funny comparison to Left 4 Dead. It's amazing to me how games that are directed at straight males don't really like having women as main characters in them. There is no reason why two of the five leading characters could have been women with big ta-tas in a drenched wet t-shirt contest. And while we're at it, why does all the characters have to be white? It's like the game is telling us that women are 25% interesting and non-whites don't make for good relatable characters.

Yes, I believe we are all in consensus here, the EU box-art is much better (or if we're not all in consensus, I believe it's better).

God, America and our posters. Seriously, can nothing be subtle? Seriously, take a look at this article and tell me that there isn't just something wrong with American box-art.

The EU version of the cover is much more subtle, more brooding, all you see is a picture of an origami crane with blood on it. How mysterious!

The US version of the cover is much more busy showing all 4 characters in the game, all disproportionate to the actual interactivity with the characters. Not one single character is more important than the other, but as DxStrife said;

DaxStrife:
Story in short: someone from Sony USA looked at the European box art and said "not enough tits."

This version makes it look like Madison Page is the main character and everyone else is just a "supporting" character, when really they are all important to the story in their own way.

Of course, I'm still going to buy the hell out of Heavy Rain, I could care less what the boxart it, though I just wanted to get in on the conversation...

I'm not sure the boxart matters, the people who know about Heavy Rain are going to be some of the only ones to get it. It's too unknown to most, and it's not that mainstream.
But whatever, I'm still gonna get it.

Jumplion:
Yes, I believe we are all in consensus here, the EU box-art is much better (or if we're not all in consensus, I believe it's better).

God, America and our posters. Seriously, can nothing be subtle? Seriously, take a look at this article and tell me that there isn't just something wrong with American box-art.

Though I am on your side about Heavy Rain's USA art fiasco, I'm going to have to disagree with the link you posted, mainly because the author seems to constantly contradict himself in his own article. One minute he is saying Japanese box art keeps its priorities straight by choosing to plaster a half-naked chick across the box of a wrestling game in favor of showing the wrestlers, yet he later slams against American art for not being subtle and nuanced, conveniently forgetting the menagerie of Japanese cheesecake we just scrolled through. Its like, "dude, i think you spilled a little bias all over your page."

Some art translates better than others, in this particular case EU has the winner, but that isn't necessarily the rule, and it does often come down to personal taste.

silversun101:
Though I am on your side about Heavy Rain's USA art fiasco, I'm going to have to disagree with the link you posted, mainly because the author seems to constantly contradict himself in his own article. One minute he is saying Japanese box art keeps its priorities straight by choosing to plaster a half-naked chick across the box of a wrestling game in favor of showing the wrestlers, yet he later slams against American art for not being subtle and nuanced, conveniently forgetting the menagerie of Japanese cheesecake we just scrolled through. Its like, "dude, i think you spilled a little bias all over your page."

Some art translates better than others, in this particular case EU has the winner, but that isn't necessarily the rule, and it does often come down to personal taste.

That article wasn't meant to be taken too seriously, it's GamesRadar for crying out loud. But you do have to admit, when compared to other boxarts, us American's tend to not know what the hell to do with boxart.

Regardless, it does come down to personal taste, and I much prefer the European boxart than the US's. Though I am getting used to it, slowly preferring it over the EU's one...

Damn, I feel like we're getting short-sided over here. The EU box art looked more subtle and less dramatic than this. Then again, it's box art like this that makes up 95% of today's games here in the US.

Jaredin:

Monkeytacoz:
the EU boxart is way better

Yeah, agreed.

Although, this still isnt too bad, gives it a very art noir feel

Or it makes it look like a poorly-done movie poster. If it were a movie poster, it would likely have real people in the picture, so it would probably look fine and have said "art noir" feel to it. The problem though is that the characters are very blatantly computer generated. Trying to give a "human" feel to a cover using blatantly non-human characters really gives the box art an uncanny valley feel to it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here