Project Runway's Tim Gunn Blasts Mario's Fashion

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Project Runway's Tim Gunn Blasts Mario's Fashion

Tim Gunn, fashion guru of Project Runway, is glad that he doesn't have to wear Mario's clothes.

When you think of videogames, the name Tim Gunn doesn't really float to the surface. I would not blame you if you've never heard of him, and the only reason I know who Tim Gunn is because I live with a woman with penchant for reality television. Project Runway is one of the better shows out there, showcasing aspiring fashion designers who usually have actual talent, and Tim Gunn is one of the show's hosts who offers advice and encouragement to the contestants. Understandably, Gunn's knowledge of videogames is minimal so when he was presented with a picture of Mario, however, he was flummoxed.

"Well," he said after a long pause. "I'm glad I don't have to wear the Super Mario outfit, I will say that. Overalls are always a challenge. And with the red top and the work boots, he looks like, well, he looks like what he really is."

Which is what exactly? An Italian plumber?

"Yeah. Sorry, I mean that only in the nicest way to plumbers everywhere. Though, I think its hard to take service clothes and make them fashionable. I think it's very difficult," Gunn continued.

"And frankly they're service clothes [that Mario is wearing] and functioning, performance comes first and in that regard, Super Mario is dressed appropriately, he's Super Mario. I'm just glad I don't have to wear this."

Source: MTV Multiplayer

Ummm...okay. His comments sound natural for someone in his position. Why exactly am I supposed to be interested in this?

Tim Gunn is rad. He is who I aspire to be.

SuperMse:
Ummm...okay. His comments sound natural for someone in his position. Why exactly am I supposed to be interested in this?

Because he was burning babies while making the statements...?

Timm Gunn doesn't know about Videogames, but he DID pilot his own IRONMAN suit once.

He thinks Mario's sense of style is bad? Someone ought to show him a picture of Tidus:

So is he gonna go after any character in a JRPG next?

HardRockSamurai:
He thinks Mario's sense of style is bad? Someone ought to show him a picture of Tidus:

I think it's rather dashing. [/sarcasm]

As if anyone cares what he wears, it seems to have lasted him for the billion games hes been in.

Tim Gunn is a superhero.

I have a terrible weakness for Project Runway and America's Next Top Model, and Tim Gunn is absolutely the best. I want to hang out with him and have him worry about my fashion choices.

I would love to see him do a review of clothing in videogames. I think it would be kind of spectacular.

I've always wondered why Mario tucks his sleeves into his gloves.

Ugh, fashion designers. We have thousands of people dead from an earthquake, and this guy gets paid to comment on clothes. Yes, thank you Tim Gunn, the world could not have survived had it not heard your opinion on Mario's outfit.

I... I... What's the point in this? Who cares if Mario isn't fashionable. I don't get fashion designers.

Lol, Tim Gunn.

I think that Mario's shirt really brings out his eyes. But this is just me XD

Jaranja:

HardRockSamurai:

I think it's rather dashing. [/sarcasm]

Nah, Rather Dashing is off getting his ass burned to a crisp by Trogdor. This is just plain disgusting.

I'm trying to think of a reason why the opinion of an overpaid queen who plays 'dollies' only with people matter to us, but I'm coming up with nothing.

Wow, that's deep.

He basically found three different ways of saying he doesn't like it without giving a single objective reason or way to improve them.

Show him a picture of Peach. And her really puffy, pink dress.

HardRockSamurai:

WHAT IS THAT?

It's like he tried to take every fashionable item of the last 50 years and combine them into one horrifying dresscode, and THEN PUT ON DUNGAREES OVER IT AS WELL!

OT: Good for him? It's not like he didn't exactly KNOW anything about Mario, but that didn't really affect his comment, did it? Even I would say "he looks like an Italian plumber, and is in no way fashionable"

HardRockSamurai:

Are you kidding? You can't show him that, it will warp his mind.

atalanta:
Tim Gunn is a superhero.

I have a terrible weakness for Project Runway and America's Next Top Model, and Tim Gunn is absolutely the best. I want to hang out with him and have him worry about my fashion choices.

I would love to see him do a review of clothing in videogames. I think it would be kind of spectacular.

I heart you so very, very much right now.

Haha slow news day? However it is funny reading those quotes in the gayest voice you can muster(I assume that the guy is extremely gay).

Up yours Tim Gunn.

I DON'T SEE YOU FIGHTING A HUGE TURTLE IN A FIRE PITT ON A DAILY BASIS. >:(

Mario is a working class plumber. He can't fix toilets and wear designer clothes.

Heathrow:
I've always wondered why Mario tucks his sleeves into his gloves.

Plumbers deal with a lot of shit(literally) and sometimes you need more than gloves to keep your hands clean. Tucking his sleeves into his glove could prevent his hands from getting to dirty.

TsunamiWombat:
Timm Gunn doesn't know about Videogames, but he DID pilot his own IRONMAN suit once.

Lmao! Nice!

Why would anyone ask for his opinion and if no-one asked why did he give it, it would be like a programmer giving fashion tips, a bad idea and everyone ends up looking stupid.

I bet Mario is devastated...

I'm not surprised that he said what he said. It's just common sense, really.

I am surprised that someone thought this was newsworthy.

Slow news day, guys?

Why is this news?

Phew, I can finally sleep at night knowing what a clothing designer thinks about what Mario wears. Thanks Greg Tito!

Disaster Button:

HardRockSamurai:

Are you kidding? You can't show him that, it will warp his mind.

He sounds like a white collar snob. "I don't want to look like one of thooose people" [sniffs]

As far as Tidus goes I would imagine you could convince him that the picture (unlabeled) was a rendering of something from an upcoming Marc Ecko collection, or someone doing a Tony Hawk inspired fashion line or whatever.

To put things bluntly, Tidus looks like the 1980s ideal of what a "skate rat" should be. Indeed I'd guess that is what inspires it. The thing is that 1980s fashion has not aged well and does not "click" well with the modern eye which doesn't favor bright colors, and intentionally out of sync looks. A lot of people absolutly HATE 1980s fashion for this reason, but arguably I think that was part of the point of the era and what the people at the time were trying to say. It WAS very differant for a while.

That said for a game made in the year 2000 the character being a walking fashion victim was an understandable point of view. His personality left a bit to be desired (for me at least) as well. Very, very good game though. I also suspect Tidus being like that was intentional because while a lychpin to the storyline of a sort, he wasn't quite intended to be the great hero a lot of other RPG protaganists aren't supposed to be. I always kind of got the impression that while he was meant to get to Jecht, the hero was actually Yuna, and he was pretty much the tool/weapon given to her (without it being explained until the end) to get to Jecht who she probably would never have beaten without the psychological issues the appearance of "Tidus" (or what he wished his son would be like more accuratly) brought to bear. Still if they had the graphics to say do a character like Tidus and put him in a title like "Skate Or Die" or maybe even a "Double Dragon" type game, he would have turned into one of the most popular characters of all time, and been updated as the eras changed. His wardrobe is the wrong kind of cool. :P

Jeronus:

Plumbers deal with a lot of shit(literally) and sometimes you need more than gloves to keep your hands clean. Tucking his sleeves into his glove could prevent his hands from getting to dirty.

A convincing, if disgusting, point.

Funny, my mom's watching Project Runway re-runs constantly, I wonder if she heard him saying this.

It's function, not fashion.
And besides,
Mario>Tim Gunn.
Will he ever get to jump on turtles and mushrooms and become extremely famous for it? No? What I thought.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here