Rumor: No Half-Life 2: Episode 3 in 2010

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Rumor: No Half-Life 2: Episode 3 in 2010

Valve fanboys, prepare your rage: You might not be finishing Half-Life 2 in 2010, if rumors are to be believed.

Way back in 2007, a particularly caustic-tongued Brit mentioned that beloved PC developer Valve seemed to be missing the point of "episodic" gaming: Shorter games, shorter development times, cheaper prices. While the Washington-based studio had the "shorter games" and "cheaper prices" parts down, it was struggling with the "shorter development times" bit of the equation.

Again, that was in 2007. It is now 2010, with no end to the Half-Life 2 trilogy in sight. And according to a report in the most recent issue of Game Informer, it won't be coming this year, either - dashing the hopes of all the Valve fanboys who were hoping that the company would be putting its efforts into finishing the game after shipping Left 4 Dead 2. This, of course, is despite reassurances from Valve boss Gabe Newell that the company was still working on it last August (after taking a break to learn ASL).

Not only will there be no Half-Life 2: Episode 3 this year, it's uncertain what form the game will actually take when it releases. Will it be a short episode like the others? Will it be a full-fledged Half-Life 3 to make up for the delay? Will Valve end up saying, "Screw it, let's just work on TF2, Portal 2, and Left 4 Dead 3"?

On the grand scheme of things, between the decade-long development of Team Fortress 2 and the missing-in-action Episode 3, Valve has surpassed fellow notoriously glacial development studio Blizzard in terms of "long development cycles," given that SC2 and D3 are actually playable in some form. But on the bright side, Valve still has a long way to go before reaching 3D Realms territory - after all, its games actually come out ... eventually.

Urge to kill: Rising.....rising.....

John Funk:
Will Valve end up saying, "Screw it, let's just work on TF2, Portal 2, and Left 4 Dead 3"?

Ummm TF2 is already out John, its quite awesome :D

I say Valve needs to just scrap Episode 3 and come out with a full fledged Half Life 3. After the years of waiting will gamers really be satisfied with 3-5 hours or so of gameplay that a release of Episode 3 would bring? I know I certianly wouldn't be.

Actually, I am over this news!. I've decided that as long as no one interferes with the release of Bioshock 2 I can handle this setback.

No biggy!.

Ranooth:

John Funk:
Will Valve end up saying, "Screw it, let's just work on TF2, Portal 2, and Left 4 Dead 3"?

Yes, but they're still working on updates for the game, no? :P

*GASP*

I'm really surprised!
I'd never think this'd happen

TF2 is out, but they aren't done working on it. I assume thats what he meant.

You know what? I don't care. I'm trying very hard to not care.

However, if it turns out that the game gets released on the same engine, with minor graphical upgrades, a couple of new enemies and no new guns, then you'll be reading about the infamous 'Valve Corporation Massacre' very quickly.

by now i no longer care, sure once it gets an release date, maybe in 2012, I'll wet my fanboy pantys with glee, but now im as dry as ever.

is just realized that it may not be longer than 3-5 hours, and they already have established all their characters, they have their engine ready and no need for marketing, I'm just really realizing this now, what can possible take so long.

Well that sucks.

Oh well, all I can do is wait.

This is why you don't listen to rumors about release dates.
They almost always are wrong.

If they decide to one week before the game is released say "Oh, did we say HF2 episode 3? We meant Half-life 3" I shall forever sell my soul to Valve.

I'm seriously thinking that they might do just that. That would be complete awesome-sauce, and it would explain why it took so long.

Angry are I.

Please... I need a good game...

I hate to say it, but I'm really not that surprised. I've learned that with Valve, Half life doesn't seem to be their greatest priority, even when the fanboys love it the most.

But mind you, I never really thought Half Life was that great, so this affects me in no way possible!

Well, Valve hired the DoTa creator and game him authority to lead a team.

Half-Life 2: Episode 3 White forest - now with more creatures - and God View.

Meh, I'm rambling - these news disfunctioned my brain.

Armored Prayer:
Well that sucks.

Oh well, all I can do is wait.

Yeah...Its going to turn into its own Duke Nukem x.x

Valve can pretty much do what ever they what and the fanboys will take it up the arse.

I'm sorry, Valve is a great studio, but how long does it take to create 4 to 5 hours of new gameplay? This episode had better be one hell of a fucking ride or I predict massive fanboy riots.

Furburt:
You know what? I don't care. I'm trying very hard to not care.

However, if it turns out that the game gets released on the same engine, with minor graphical upgrades, a couple of new enemies and no new guns, then you'll be reading about the infamous 'Valve Corporation Massacre' very quickly.

I can bet you that the engine will be the same, with minor graphical updates.

John Funk:

Ranooth:

John Funk:

Yes, but they're still working on updates for the game, no? :P

Nicely played good sir.

Looks like good old Duke Nukem Forever might have stiff competition for the Vapourware awards this year.

tf2 has been out for a while...

let us hope that this rumor turns out to be just that: a rumor. I want to finish this thing! Don't leave us wanting revenge for over 4 years!

They're probably too scared to make any more half-life games because of the expectations that fanboys (me included) have. At least we don't expect LFD3, TF2/3, or Portal 2 to be life-changingly spectacular.... except for maybe Portal 2....

Also, Valve is known for playtesting the CRAP out of EVERYTHING. If something goes awry in playtesting they re-vamp the whole game because Valve fans expect nothing less than a near-perfect gameplay experience. But the games are worth the wait, and from what I can tell from interviews and director's commentaries, the extensive playtesting is a huge reason why Valve games perform so well.

Journeythroughhell:

*cocks shotgun*

No Team Fortress 2 updates for the 360 (or PS3), no Earthbound on virtual console, Mondo Nations taking a long time.

Oh yeah, and this. I'm sort of getting used to waiting for things, though.

I can wait.

I got plently of games this year to keep me happy.

When it is released it better be worth the wait.

I had a dream yesterday about E3 2010. Valve was showing a trailer with clips from every Half-Life game (the tram sections or equivalent) fading in and out with the year they were released.

"Now the Final Chapter"
Title Drop. Half-Life: Episode 3
Suddenly. The "Episode" vanishes.
"Christmas 2010"

Fanboys cheer out madly at the announcement of HL3

Let's hope it comes true.

Oh well, I'll just have to hunt down Missing Information and all the other 'alternate' versions of Half Life 2, it's amazing how much they hacked out of that game, mind boggling even.

Here's hoping for a extra huge epic in the vein of Half Life 2's intended design.

Just give us something!

Concept art, screen-shots...something that tells us you're even working on the thing.

Yeah, I've pretty much forgotten about HL2:Ep3. I'll go worry about other things until it's out, or Valve gives us some news about it.

Good, more time for me to get my damn computer updated and play HL2 and Episodes 1 & 2.

Furburt:

Journeythroughhell:

*cocks shotgun*

Hey! Source engine is still cool. On his last run but still cool. Episode 3 will probably be the last Valve game built on Source. Or maybe the first built on a new engine who knows?

I hope that it's still Source just to give a continuity feeling. ^^ Maybe the next Half Life chapter(if there's a new one) will be on a different engine.

It's been almost 3 years since the release of episode 2. It took Valve 6 years from Half Life 1 to Half Life 2. It only took 14 months between episodes 1 and 2. At this point they may as well release a full fledged game, because for this long of a wait and development cycle for the amount of content that these expansion packs have will be a huge letdown.

I honestly not that surprised. Why do I get the feeling that it will be released on 2012? (Not that I think it will happen)

It's Valve, the wait will be worth it.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or