BioShock 2 System Requirements, DRM Revealed

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

BioShock 2 System Requirements, DRM Revealed

The BioShock 2 system requirements have been revealed and there's some bad news inside for folks who don't like SecuROM. (Steam users may not be too thrilled either.)

The return to Rapture is only a few weeks away and that means it's time to give PC gamers a reason to start worrying about how BioShock 2 is going to run on their hardware. To kick off the pre-game fun, 2K has unveiled the minimum system requirements and I have to admit that it's not as bad as I was expecting.

Minimum system requirements:

• Processor: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+ 2.4Ghz or better, Intel Pentium 4 530 3.0Ghz Processor or better
  • Memory: 2GB
  • Graphics: NVIDIA 7800GT 256MB graphics card or better, ATI Radeon X1900 256MB graphics card or better
  • DirectX: DirectX 9.0c
  • Hard Drive: 11GB
  • Sound: 100% DirectX 9.0C compliant sound card or onboard sound

Recommended system requirements:

• Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Dual Core 2.60Ghz, Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Dual Core 2.13Ghz
  • Memory: 3GB
  • Graphics: NVIDIA 8800GT 512MB graphics card or better, ATI Radeon HD4830 512MB graphics card or better

Unfortunately, it's not quite as simple as just having enough iron to actually run the game. If you want to play, you've got to play by the rules, to wit: "Initial installation requires one-time internet connection; ability to save game, earn achievements, receive title updates and online play requires log-in to Games for Windows LIVE; software installations required including Microsoft Visual C++2008 Runtime Libraries, Games for Windows LIVE client, Games for Windows LIVE Client Patch, Sony DADC SecuROM, Microsoft DirectX."

Yes, in spite of being demonstrably useless at anything but inconveniencing legitimate game buyers, the infamous SecuROM will be a part of the process. And don't think you'll be able to dodge that bullet by buying the game through Steam: The Steam version of the game will still make use of the SecuROM activation procedures and will also require players to log into Games for Windows Live (after connecting to Steam, one would assume) in order to play multiplayer.

Not to be Buzzkill McGee here, to borrow a phrase, but this announcement doesn't exactly stoke my enthusiasm for BioShock 2. Didn't we learn our SecuROM lesson the last time around? And why is GFW Live multiplayer being crammed down our throats when the game is being sold over Steam? For a game that Take-Two rather badly needs to be a big success, this seems to me like a very wrong-headed approach to take.

Source: VE3D

So I can pay 50 dollars and get a glorified rental that installs poorly veiled malware/spyware on my pc or I can pay absolutely nothing and get a copy that's sure to work now and years from now w/o installing malware/spyware on my pc at the likely cost of multiplayer content. . . . bah not even a tough call.

It's like Take Two purposely has their game on mind to be unlikable.

A sequel that wasn't needed.
Multiplayer that wasn't wanted.
SecuROM that wasn't liked.

Thank god it's coming to my PS3...

But wait PS3 installs as well!

That settles it, I won't be getting this for PC, if I do ever end up getting it it'll be console all the way.

Can't wait to hear them try to justify SecuROM after it get pirated before is release date without any of these things to deal with.

This is complete bollox. I'm probably going to end up geting this on the 360 now. I don't see why they want to use Securom and shove GWL down our throats. is 1 piece of shit not enough to have in 1 game?

Right, I can play it easily, that's good.

Problem is, I'm probably going to get it off steam, and I don't like the sound of going from Steams easy going and tight user interface to GFW's all around bugginess and horribleness.

And why both?

So you can buy it on Steam to run it though that festering peice of crap Games for Windows Live?
No

at least it doesnt appear to have a direct install limit but ehh, I think Ill pass on this one, I dont feel like having to fuck with that much weird drm shit

The say those who don't remember the past are doomed to repeat it. No truer words here for adding in SecuROM again <_<

Hurrah! I'm so glad I'm getting this on PS3.

GFWL, oh how I hate thee...

Looks like a PC version of the game is an afterthought to TakeTwo. I'm sure that even without the inclusion of 'Screw-U-Rom' the console versions of the game would have far outsold the PC. Does anyone have the figures for sales of the first game for comparison?

I assume microsoft has a lot of involvement here, with the GFWL thing, Seriously? It's not hard to make an off-line save, we've been doing it for years.

HOORAY PIRACY!!

That being said, I'm still not getting this game, it's just Bioshock reskinned

...Yeah. Right. No. I'm getting it for Xbox 360. At least BioWare learned with Mass Effect and does NOT include fucker-upper-SecuROM. Oh well...

yay, my trusty laptop can run it :D

although I only have
chrome
Acoustica (recording program)
Guitar pro
MSN

on my laptop now, and I aim to keep it that way,

Buy the box, pirate the game.

The force of nature that is the average cretin makes doing anything else simply unrealistic. You can't speak with your wallet while standing amidst an ocean of imbeciles vomiting money at anything that passes by.

Hey, remember back when Borderlands came out? Fun game, big on multiplayer, only it runs through Gamespy of all things. And Steam offers it to buy as a four-pack, for the price of three games, and gives you a 10% pre-purchase discount. Now Bioshock 2 is coming out, and it is revealed it uses SecuROM and GFWL. And this time, not only do they sell four-packs for the same price as three games with a 10% discount but also four copies of Bioshock. I get a feeling they're trying to say, "we're sorry this game uses crapware and because we can't help it, here's a little something extra to ease the pain".

Yup, another game I'm not buying. Really is a shame, too, because I was really looking forward to this one. But a combination of SecuRom (that's really all it takes for me to say nope) AND GFWL, ya, not gonna happen.

Yay xbox 360, and yay rentals

BioShock 2 page was updated with more info on the DRM.

A baffleing note of:

3rd-party DRM: SecuROM™ and Games for Windows LIVE
15 machine activation limit

Just... what problems is a 15 Machine activation limit going to solve exactly? Its still paying $50 to rent a game, and how does such a large number prevent piracy again?

I had wondered(but not enough to research) if Bioshock 2 would be Games for Windows Live, now I know.

I wasn't really sure how I felt about a Bioshock sequel - on the one hand, I really liked Bioshock, but on the other, I don't see that it needed a sequel.

This news has pretty much confirmed I won't be getting it at all, since I don't pirate games and GFWL has been nothing but a headache ever since the beginning - including that isn't a deal breaker, but when you slap it onto a game I wasn't sure I'd want to buy in the first place it's the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Dear god, to think I almost ordered this through steam last night. What on earth is the point of having so many layers of equally ineffective crap to jump over just to play what I went and bought?

Bugger it, I'm not buying it.

I'm buying it simply because I think Take Two deserves money for a game that will probably be a fucking masterpiece. I will, however, play a cracked copy of the game. I refuse to install anything with that SecuRom piece of shit lurking in it..

GFWL is good, and copy protection. SecuROM is not, and is not. Seems like an easy bit.

I'd guess that they're trying to make their investors feel better.

It will be fun to see how much this gets pirated.

Thank you for helping me decide exactly which version to get, which would be the 360 version.

Well, that's Bioshock 2 off the buy list, Steam special offer be damned. No doubt it'll be an excellent game and 2K have worked extremely hard on it. But if Take Two thinks I'll be getting GFWLive, installing SecuRom and having them both running at the same time as Steam just to play their poxy game, they can piss off.

It never ceases to amaze how arbitrary and punishing it can be being an honest consumer. I reckon a few months after release 2K will be announcing low PC sales and 'massive' piracy. I wonder how much Microsoft paif for this, there doesn't seem to be any explanation for this other than MS paid to force GFWLive in a largely Steam based release.

Xanthious:
So I can pay 50 dollars and get a glorified rental that installs poorly veiled malware/spyware on my pc or I can pay absolutely nothing and get a copy that's sure to work now and years from now w/o installing malware/spyware on my pc at the likely cost of multiplayer content. . . . bah not even a tough call.

Quoted for [email protected]#$ing truth.

Hopeless Bastard:
Buy the box, pirate the game.

The force of nature that is the average cretin makes doing anything else simply unrealistic. You can't speak with your wallet while standing amidst an ocean of imbeciles vomiting money at anything that passes by.

Quoted for truth. Sadly.

Irridium:
I'd guess that they're trying to make their investors feel better.

Yes, the entirety of "copy protection" is reassurance in a condescending tone.

Highly unfortunate but good to know.

Since Direct2Drive never actually has the decency to disclose when their game are running the f****** rebirth of Sierra Utilities, I'm glad this is one time I found out *before* buying a game that'll take me 3 hours to get running.

2GB of minimum ram? 2? You must mean 2GB of Ram for Vista/7 users no?

Still that's a whole lot a RAM. ME2 looks amazing and maximum is 2GB. I smell bad engine coding from a mile away.

Also when are these idiots learn that you don't need 2 systems that do the exact same shit. Steam and LIVE. Why don't you force Impulse while you at it. And why does this have SecuROM? WHY? Clacking bells...

Sometimes I'm glad that my computer is worthless. Oh well.

Erm, why are we using Games for Windows? I mean, it can't be for unwanted DLC, because Steam offers that already.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here