Perfect Dark XBLA Not the End for Rare

Perfect Dark XBLA Not the End for Rare

Rare plans to dig into its lengthy development history again for future titles.

Rare recently told CVG that the Xbox Live Arcade version of Perfect Dark will be far from the company's last project that involves a past IP. Studio head Mark Betteridge said: "There's nothing to announce yet after Perfect Dark, but we've got over 25 years of IP to dip into so there's no shortage of possibilities."

Perfect Dark XBLA could easily be something that whets the Rare-lover's appetite for a suitable time period. Many people tend to talk about 1997's N64 classic GoldenEye as one of Rare's best works (and it is), but for some reason neglect to mention the much improved Perfect Dark which was released in 2000. After playing newer games such as CoD: MewTwo, it might be hard to get into the play-style of Perfect Dark, but it really was retro multiplayer at its best. Betteridge says the XBLA remake — which will include online multiplayer, a boosted framerate, improved textures, and leaderboards — will "be arriving on Xbox Live Arcade in the next few months."

After its release, Rare seems to be planning another remake or at least the use of an IP not seen for a while. The questions is: what IP could the company use? It's already gone with the Banjo-Kazooie franchise a few times, so that's likely out. Hints have been dropped that Rare might bring back Battletoads, Jet Force Gemini, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, or Killer Instinct, so those titles spring to the top of the list. Betteridge more recently talked about doing something different if Rare remade Killer Instinct, making the series a best bet for the company's next project.

Battletoads and Killer Instinct would be awesome franchises to revisit, but there's one in particular that really needs to come back: Conker. Conker's Bad Fur Day (which was updated on the original Xbox) was a direct response to all the cutesy 3D platformers of the N64's day, bringing a drunken squirrel into the mix that fought a giant mountain of poop. Do videogames get any better than that?

Source: CVG

So I'm guessing Rare's new business tactic is "re-release games from when we didn't suck?"

Don't get me wrong an XBLA re-release of Perfect Dark sounds awesome but it really sounds like they've thrown in the towel in terms of moving forward for the time being.

I know there is legal difficulties.

In fairness until Golden-eye is made they will have no respect from me.

A Conker remake would be nice but look at Naughty bear that is virtually the same! If that's a hit no one will ever buy a Conker remake!!!

Mind you NB is the responsibility of the same team that made WET.....I think its safe to say Conker still has hope

AceDiamond:
So I'm guessing Rare's new business tactic is "re-release games from when we didn't suck?"

Don't get me wrong an XBLA re-release of Perfect Dark sounds awesome but it really sounds like they've thrown in the towel in terms of moving forward for the time being.

I would honestly prefer their back catalogue over their new games, I still can't quite stress how much I hated Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolts.

Perfect Dark playable with two sticks?

Yes, Rare. Yes.

The funny thing about Conker is that Conker's Bad Fur Day was actually his second game appearance. His first appearance was in the game Conker's Pocket Tales which was a Gameboy Colour game. The game was a top down Adventure/RPG that involved collecting presents. Far less violent, far cuter, far more difficult and far less entertaining.

I would snap up BattleToads if Rare were to release it on XBLA. Killer Instinct maybe, but I would get the trial first. Also on a side note, I never really got the reason why everyone loved GoldenEye so much please don't hurt me

I'm really want a Conker remake, it definitely is in my own top 5 games of all time.

I would only buy a Conker remake if they put back in everything they edited out when they ported it to the Xbox. Its just not the same without the full song:

Other then that, I vote for Jet Force Gemini as I never got to play that when I was younger :(

Pretty sweet. Certainly wuldnt mind playing some of them oldies again ^^!

okay so I've heard Perfect Dark improves on Goldeneye a lottt so that interests me
but yeah it really was the familiar Bond theme and popularity that makes 007 the most wanted
def give PD a try tho, it's just too bad we probably won't be getting a port of Goldeneye (I have it on the 64, but only cuz it was given to me and I could never get used to the control schemes once I moved onto modern dual-analog sticks)

Jet Force Gemini please! I played that a lot when I was younger, but I didn't understand half of it. This was before I understood English. I really want to play it again, so that would be perfect!
But any of the good old Rare games will be appreciated!

They still need to revist Donkey Kong 64, one of the greatest platformers ever. Although legal difficulties may prevent that from happening.

As for the new Rare, they seem to have lost their touch. Viva Pinata and Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts were okay, but nowhere near the quality of their old gamnes.

will1182:
They still need to revist Donkey Kong 64, one of the greatest platformers ever. Although legal difficulties may prevent that from happening.

As for the new Rare, they seem to have lost their touch. Viva Pinata and Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts were okay, but nowhere near the quality of their old gamnes.

Naturally. Everyone who made Rare good left a long time ago. Even Free Radical, initially made up of the team responsible for Goldeneye and PD (as well as some gems of their own under the FR name) has lost its shine, since they all got tired of working for David Doak. Rareware is dead, and the people who've skinned the corpse for a hat just aren't as good.

I'd generally be more cynical of a company remaking its back catalogue like this, but since all Rare's good for is the copyrights they own, I'm not unhappy with this news.

Perfect Dark PC? Please..? *tantrum*

Seriously, stop making me regret packing up my Xbox and trying to sell it...

Plinglebob:
I would only buy a Conker remake if they put back in everything they edited out when they ported it to the Xbox. Its just not the same without the full song:

Wait...did they port it to Xbox and then removed explicit content that was allowed on the 64 release? That's the stupidest idea I've ever heard. Rare really are a former shell of themselves. (Still haven't played Viva Pinata so maybe that will change my mind)

All I need now is a n64 controller for the xbox.

They do need to re-release Conquer.

And not the xbox version. That version's multiplayer sucked balls compared to the N64 version.

i want a conker remake that isnt censored

They have to make Conker 2.

Conker, a thousand times Conker!

...and not the remake guff, but the old one with the fun a hell multiplayer. Spent more time on that with my bud than playing UT. Loved it!

Plinglebob:

I second this.

A sequel to conker would be nice considering how dated all the references are.

Ah rare. I miss Killer Instinct and Perfect Dark. How I wish you weren't bought by Microsoft.

Perfect Dark 360 sucked balls, go back to making good games rare.

So they finally twigged it.

Rare hasn't made a decent game since 2001* when all the talented people ran away, let's just recycle their good work with slightly better graphics and an online mode... and Jenkins... try not to bugger it up too badly, the game's already excellent so even you shouldn't be able to do that much damage...

*Viva Pinata excepted, although that was a Tim Stamper idea, if that name sounds familiar he can also be referred to as Mr Goldeneye. Unsurprisingly no longer a part of Rare.

I want Killer Instinct and a new Perfect Dark (If its done in the style of the original, not "Halo-fied" like PDZ. I liked PDZ more than some people, but still agree it was a letdown.) but above all I WANT A NEW JET FORCE GEMINI. DO IT FAGHETS. (Sorry, I'm a /B-Tard.) Oh, and this isn't as important as the above 3 to me but also do a sequel to Conker. I actually didn't find Conker funny (Okay, not uproariously funny, it did have some chuckles but for me, it was just the terrific gameplay that sealed the deal even if I thought it was gimmicky humourwise)

It would've been best if they weren't bought by MS though, they've been mostly downhill after that.

Fightgarr:
The funny thing about Conker is that Conker's Bad Fur Day was actually his second game appearance. His first appearance was in the game Conker's Pocket Tales which was a Gameboy Colour game. The game was a top down Adventure/RPG that involved collecting presents. Far less violent, far cuter, far more difficult and far less entertaining.

You forget that Conker also featured in Diddy Kong Racing, which i seriously hope they rerelease.

A rerelease of BFD would be awesome too, i loved the multiplayer in that game, which they ruined for the xbox remake.

CroutonsOfDeath:
I WANT A NEW JET FORCE GEMINI. DO IT FAGHETS.

THIS.

I wish that that companies would release games like this on more than just xbla.
I am a ps3 owner and while I enjoy my games the Live Arcade has a MUCH GREATER amount of games.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here