Heavy Rain DLC Allows Control of Origami Killer

Heavy Rain DLC Allows Control of Origami Killer

If you're not a creepy scumbag killer already, you'll get the chance to play as one in Heavy Rain's DLC.

While talking to French gaming site GameBlog.fr, Quantic Dream CEO David Cage provided more information on exactly who the Heavy Rain Chronicles would follow, including one surprise. The Heavy Rain Chronicles are announced DLC packs that should cost around $5 and provide an hour or so of gameplay, each covering a prequel story that revolves around one of Heavy Rain's main characters.

Madison Paige's Chronicle, in which she visits a taxidermist's house and finds out he's been doing some taxidermy on things he oughtn't to, has already been revealed and shown in demo form. This will be the episode that players can get for free by pre-ordering Heavy Rain, in stores February 23, 24, 25, or 26 depending on your region.

It was announced that a second Chronicle would accompany the first shortly after Heavy Rain's release date, though the exact contents of this second pack are still unknown. Cage did tell GameBlog that another of the DLC episodes will follow FBI profiler Norman Jayden, explaining how he became addicted to Triptocaine and where he got his scar. However, Cage's big bombshell announcement was that a future DLC pack would actually put players into the shoes of the Origami Killer himself, the game's main villain if you will. Through the Origami Killer's Chronicle, players will find out why he's such a f**ked up dude.

There are still two other lead characters for the Heavy Rain Chronicles to follow, Ethan Mars and Scott Shelby, but Cage didn't mention them. Because these short DLC packs are likely to have the same gameplay elements of Heavy Rain itself, I would guess that the main characters can die and the game would still continue on. In this case, I would advise not playing the DLC packs first, or else there won't be any characters to play as in Heavy Rain if you kill everyone off. Or, maybe you could just make the Origami Killer take a long walk off a long-but-very-slightly-shorter pier, and win the game. Platinum trophy gained.

(Via Eurogamer)

and this hasnt been banned in australia?

A quick-time event heavy game with DLC that allows you to play as the game's psychotic murderer... hmm... as I recall, Indigo Prophecy had you spending at least a third of the game playing as the game's psychotic murderer. Just when I thought the games couldn't get any more samey.

Heavy Rain does look sort of interesting, but I don't think I would pay $60 for it. I'll most likely rent it.

cuntfucking bullshit. DLC should come out AFTER the game. Just saying "Oh hey guys, this game that isn't even out? Yeah, we're gonna make DLC available for launch! Isn't that awesome?" is just... ugh

what happened to the days where we PAID for a game and GOT the full game? Instead of all this nickel and dime marlarky where we get half of the game they charge us too much for in the first place.

8-Bit_Jack:
cuntfucking bullshit. DLC should come out AFTER the game. Just saying "Oh hey guys, this game that isn't even out? Yeah, we're gonna make DLC available for launch! Isn't that awesome?" is just... ugh

what happened to the days where we PAID for a game and GOT the full game? Instead of all this nickel and dime marlarky where we get half of the game they charge us too much for in the first place.

Something that you may not know (and I don't mean for that to sound condescending):

Once a game is ready to ship, there are often ideas lying around that simply couldn't get used during development. As it is ready to ship, there is no way to add this content to the game. However, it can still be made into DLC - and this is why DLC is sometimes announced before a game.

EDIT: And the argument "just delay it until they can fit all those ideas in, then" does not work for two reasons. First: nothing would ever get made that way, or certainly not on schedules that publishers demand. Second, if it's already ready to ship, they cannot undo that just for more ideas - it is a no-looking-back process.

Spleenbag:

8-Bit_Jack:

Something that you may not know (and I don't mean for that to sound condescending):

Once a game is ready to ship, there are often ideas lying around that simply couldn't get used during development. As it is ready to ship, there is no way to add this content to the game. However, it can still be made into DLC - and this is why DLC is sometimes announced before a game.

No, I am well aware of this. It still grates on me because most of the time it seems that the DLC is clearly something axed out of the original game and simply made to be purchased at a premium. Granted, the worst offenders of such things are not the sort of games in discussion, but it irks me nonetheless. So sharrup you mouth, let me have my little bad mood lol

You get to kill someone?

In a game?

This'll all end in tears, I tell you.

Hah, nice intro.

That's pretty smart from a business perspective, but that won't stop me from being pissed off.

If only the whole game was like that.

Out of curiosity, why is this game getting so much press? It's not pioneering anything. This has been done before:

TheDoctor455:
A quick-time event heavy game with DLC that allows you to play as the game's psychotic murderer... hmm... as I recall, Indigo Prophecy had you spending at least a third of the game playing as the game's psychotic murderer. Just when I thought the games couldn't get any more samey.

So I'm gonna take a guess and say you'll probably want to play as the villain in a mystery game, after you beat the game proper. Just a guess, of course.

I apologize for the immaturity, but there's something about the killer's name that I can't take seriously (maybe ORIGAMI?), but otherwise it looks awesome.

pantsoffdanceoff:
Out of curiosity, why is this game getting so much press? It's not pioneering anything.

For some weird reason the developers are of the opinion that they are breaking new ground. Though it may be for presenting sex in games in a new way. Either case they have too much a case of slippery mouth. I'm not that certain that announcing DLC for a game before the game itself has even come out is such a good idea. It would seem to give the feeling that the game people are going to be paying $50 to $60 for is going to be incomplete and you have to buy the DLC for the rest. It may not be the case here but I keep waiting for someone like maybe Activision to pull that finger out.
I have a feeling this isn't going to have the fanbase that Quantic Dream is thinking it will, and they are going to blame all the wrong reasons when it doesn't even make enough money to cover all the promotion they are overdoing. Will be Daikatana all over again.

Korten12:

I don't think AU can afford blu-ray (just kidding). I think the guy only has a vendetta against non-realistic games. Well L4D could happen if we find a cure for cancer (also a joke).

8-Bit_Jack:

Spleenbag:

8-Bit_Jack:

No, I am well aware of this. It still grates on me because most of the time it seems that the DLC is clearly something axed out of the original game and simply made to be purchased at a premium. Granted, the worst offenders of such things are not the sort of games in discussion, but it irks me nonetheless. So sharrup you mouth, let me have my little bad mood lol

I am with 8 Bit on this. Sure they might have had it all laying around. Sure they could have the DLC ready for launch. Don't announce it before or during the first week of launch (unless it is a preorder bonus or comes with the new game). Wait a couple weeks then drop the bomb. It isn't incentive to buy the game. It is incentive not too and wait for a goty edition with everything. Or buy it cheap and used and even the score with the DLC you will buy for it. All they are doing is telling us to prepare to drop 3 digit figures on the game and that is not going to help the industry. But it is great for places like Gamestop. And GS is not the ones funding the next game are they?

rockingnic:

Korten12:

I don't think AU can afford blu-ray (just kidding). I think the guy only has a vendetta against non-realistic games. Well L4D could happen if we find a cure for cancer (also a joke).

If when you say "the guy" you mean Atkinson, then I'm pretty sure the reason he's so up in arms about violence in games it's because, with all the technological progression in graphics these days, they appear much more realistic now than they ever have before. The reason the uncut version L4D2 was banned in Australia was because of the highly-realistic up-close severing of limbs with melee weapons.

OT: Yeah, I still think DLC released at the same day as the game is a bit of a cop-out. Even if they have actually produced DLC that can be released with the game, it doesn't mean they should. They could still wait a couple of weeks before releasing it, if just for the appearance of it all. As for the actual content, well, I'd have to play the game before I can make up my mind as to whether or not it's a good thing or not. I never played Indigo Prophecy, so I don't know how well it worked within the story. The idea of offing yourself so it renders the entire story of the actual game pointless hardly sounds like good roleplaying, either...

"Heavy Rain: I lean away from the keyboard to play as a psycho"....

Perfect :D

Well, that certainly takes a new spin on things inside the game. Its nice to see they are offering it some support too in the form of DLC. I really aniticpate its release here, although everyone above keeps saying not pioneering anything, it still looks fun and fresh compaired to most things out the moment, its different at least

I'm in a bit of a quandary with this game.

Going to end up pre-ordering a game for a console that I'm yet to own. At least a working version of the console; I've had a 60GB with a broken disc drive for the last two years.

I'll probably get a new one come FFXIII release, I know its coming for 360 as well, but it won't "feel right" unless I'm playing on a Sony machine. Plus they're releasing a FFXIII PS3 which the fanboy in me cannot resist.

Talk about off topic; Heavy Rain will undoubtedly be amazing and this year so far looks like Sony has the stronger line up.

How much will this cost? I mean if i want to see intire game through his eyes will i have to kill someone.

There is only one thing that I can say to that.

SWWEEEETT!!!

bah, i dont know whether i want this game or not! on the one hand it could be a really interesting thriller, but on the other it could just be a bunch of glorified cutscenes and quicktime events!

Meeeeh! I hope they release a demo, but apparently the studio is of two minds of releasing one or not...

Now that the game's out, and I've finished it, it's really interesting to reread this article.

I see what you did there, David Cage.

(Anyone who's finished the game knows what I'm talking about)

You don't need DLC to play as the killer <wink><wink>

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here