Kevin Butler Returns for "PS3: It Only Does 256 Players"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Kevin Butler Returns for "PS3: It Only Does 256 Players"

With the launch of Massive Action Game around the corner, Sony is kicking its advertising machine into high gear, which means one thing: Kevin Butler is back, baby.

I've said it before: Kevin Butler is the best thing to happen to Sony's marketing department since they gave up on Crash Bandicoot. Is he actually a Sony executive? Of course not, he's an actor. Does it actually matter or make these ads any less entertaining? I submit that it does not.

In today's installment of the "Funk Loves Kevin Butler Chronicles," the man himself (now Sony's VP of First Person Shooter Relations) assures a job applicant that "MAG Platoon Leader" is certainly worth putting down on one's resume as management experience - since, much like "Raid Leader in WoW," it requires performing a job that in practice has much in common with herding wild kittens.

There's a special surprising twist ending (well, not on the level of a M. Night Shamwow twist, but a twist nonetheless), but there's one thing that's certain: Kevin Butler is perhaps the only person who could possibly make me even the slightest bit interested in MAG. It's hard enough to get a 12-player team to work together to assault the RED stronghold in TF2, or a 15-player team to actually coordinate to win Arathi Basin in WoW. Personally, I can't see 128 vs. 128 as being anything but a raging clusterf*ck.

Ah well. Maybe I'll give it a chance thanks to you, Kevin. You sexy beast, you.

(PS Blog)

Kevin Butler is the greatest thing to happen to Sony ever.

Now I kind of want this game.

Sony's advertising is brilliant. Kevin Butler + Sony = Immediate success.

John Funk:
It's hard enough to get a 12-player team to work together to assault the RED stronghold in TF2, or a 15-player team to actually coordinate to win Arathi Basin in WoW. Personally, I can't see 128 vs. 128 as being anything but a raging clusterf*ck.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks this.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the game will be fun.
But to assume that anyone will be 'working together' as one massive actual...army, is naive at best.
128 players per team is very awesome, but at what cost?
At what cost??
So long, team work.

I played the beta and was excited about it. I decided to stop after about a month because I didn't want to get worn out from the game before it comes out. The beta was running only 64 vs 64 at the time so I haven't played a full on 256 player battle but the way the game is organized, it doesn't turn out to be a raging clusterfuck.

I strongly recommend the game!

At the same time? Bow-chicka-wow-wow?

Erm. Anyway. I love these commercials. I was an early adopter of the PS3 and the creepy baby commercials almost made me want to take it back...

Yeah, MAG is going to be one big Rambo-fest.
Pshh...teamwork? Screw teamwork, my fragrate needs maintenance.

I do not quite make out the question of the applicant.

I've been eagerly awaiting MAG since E3, it looks like an epic game

Baby Tea:
But to assume that anyone will be 'working together' as one massive actual...army, is naive at best.
At what cost??
So long, team work.

I get the impression they'll go down the Battlefield 2 route. Lots of small teams working within themselves to achieve common goals, it's dead easy to get one or two six man squads to work together to take point X, while four more squads hit Y and Z. I'll bet Mag just does that, except with 21 squads working in groups to take point X Y Z A C E and F at once.

It works and you get teamwork, it also means stupid ramboing retards can do that all they want, without affecting the functioning units particularly. No doubt some players are going to degenerate to clusterfuckdom, but hey, not everyone's organised.

John Funk:
PS3: It Only Does 256 Players

I have to wonder what the marketing department was thinking when they decided "It only does" was going to be their tagline.

"It only does 256 players" sounds like something that someone deriding the game in comparison to a MMO would say, not like something that promotes the game. Unless you also spin the phrase as being sarcastic, but that's also not a great idea.

The newer commercials are far better than all their previous ones though, that's unquestionable.

Kevin Butler=Pure unadulterated awesome.

I LOVED the twist at the end.

"So what's the job?"

"Oh, VP shooter relations."

*Looks down, then looks through blinds*

"Son of a-"

"-MAG"

I could hardly care less about MAG, but that guy is great.

"You son of a-"

Haha - these ads are really good, yet I've NEVER seen them on TV!

This was awesome 6 years ago when Sony first came up with the idea. It was called Planetside.

win.

tmujir955:
Kevin Butler=Pure unadulterated awesome.

I LOVED the twist at the end.

"So what's the job?"

"Oh, VP shooter relations."

*Looks down, then looks through blinds*

"Son of a..."

MAG

Mr.Tea:
I could hardly care less about MAG, but that guy is great.

"You son of a-"

MAG

Kevin Butler is the best thing to happen to commercials ever. Kevin and whoever writes these ads needs to be payed more right now.

As awesome as Kevvy B is, I know that, no matter how much I want MAG to work, I know that it won't

The Kangaroo:
As awesome as Kevvy B is, I know that, no matter how much I want MAG to work, I know that it won't

I'm with this guy, though I'm cautiously hopeful

Mabye within a few weeks of release, all the Halo-COD-Anything else-shooter fans will have realised this isn't the same instant satisfaction and WIN WIN WIN nature, and leave it to the guys who WANT to make this work

MAG + all the guns in borderlands = biggest cluster F**k in history

theApoc:
This was awesome 6 years ago when Sony first came up with the idea. It was called Planetside.

Yeah only it sort of...didn't work. Planetside was one game I followed through its turbulent dev cycle and found that the wait wasn't really worth it in the end, unfortunately.

Not wanting to be a total prick I would like to see MAG do well but at the same time I'm torn between that and Sony's renewed commitment to e-peen waving, as good as the ads are from a commercial standpoint.

Also I agree "It Only Does ____" doesn't quite work as a tagline when you start acting specific. At this point really I think it's the last thing Sony really has over the other consoles though.

Baby Tea:

John Funk:
It's hard enough to get a 12-player team to work together to assault the RED stronghold in TF2, or a 15-player team to actually coordinate to win Arathi Basin in WoW. Personally, I can't see 128 vs. 128 as being anything but a raging clusterf*ck.

At what cost??
So long, team work.

Lets not even bring up the Beta. Whats the point if the maps are so big that players can only have small scrimmages of 5 on 5 because no one else is walking near them?

Virgil:

John Funk:

I have to wonder what the marketing department was thinking when they decided "It only does" was going to be their tagline.

"It only does 256 players" sounds like something that someone deriding the game in comparison to a MMO would say, not like something that promotes the game. Unless you also spin the phrase as being sarcastic, but that's also not a great idea.

The newer commercials are far better than all their previous ones though, that's unquestionable.

Of course it's sarcastic. Have you seen a commercial in the last three years? They're ALL sarcastic. The only thing that set this slogan apart from the rest of the world's big business commercials was the lack of upbeat piano music at the end.

-----------
More on topic, I actually think this game will promote teamwork. Obviously the teams won't be working in organized singularities, but in numbers like this, it will be much easier for several smaller groups to form. What they should have done, however, is implement a unique RTS interface for leaders to give HUD-based commands and place markers for other players. Perhaps carrying out these commands could be encouraged by awarding EXP (or whatever MAG is using for ranks) once a given order is completed.

-----------

katsabas:
I do not quite make out the question of the applicant.

He says: "To Playstation; is it okay to list 'MAG Platoon Leader' as Management Experience?"

Baby Tea:

John Funk:

At what cost??
So long, team work.

i played the beta and its surprisingly co-operative, i was very surprised because i thought this many players getting PWN3D would result in a COD style clusterfuck... y'know what i'm on about...the "FUCK YOO MAN... WAYYE YA GAN AN KILL IZ , I WILL FUKIN HUNT YA DOWN AND KILL U" comments

Irridium:

So do I. I don't really care about the strategy behind it. 256 people on one map is just awesome.

256 player battles just means a whole lot of team killing. MAG is probably one of the few games that would make me consider getting a PS3, that and the fact that Sony have better adverts (such as this one) than Microsoft.

TimeLord:

Irridium:

So do I. I don't really care about the strategy behind it. 256 people on one map is just awesome.

Imagine a free for all mode!

Outlaw Torn:
256 player battles just means a whole lot of team killing. MAG is probably one of the few games that would make me consider getting a PS3, that and the fact that Sony have better adverts (such as this one) than Microsoft.

The game as I have experienced it doesn't have that much team killing. It is on huge scale and people tend to play a little more reserved than most FPS games. The main problem is that you may run around a lot and get killed by someone you never saw. Penny Arcade really exemplified the game: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/1/6/

I'm glad that Sony fired the guys who made those creepy baby-doll ads back when ps3 launched. This guy's much better.

The ending made me smile.

I applied for the VP Shooter Relations and I didn't make into the commercial : (

Maybe sony finally took my advise and publicly crucified (roman style) their marketing department.
Their advertising & PR certainly wasn't what got a ps3 on my shelf.
Actually, the only reason I have a ps3 is probably because (at the time) it's competition was spontaneously combusting half the time.

Virgil:

John Funk:

Haha, I thought this too. It's okay when it's "It only does everything" because it's obviously sarcastic, but with all the little sub-headers, like "It only does 256 players" or "It only does Blu-Ray"... they don't sound quite as appealing.

But a definite improvement for sure. Even a tagline like "We're really hard to program for" would be better than those old White Room ads...

John Funk:
M. Night Shamwow

I didn't notice it until i re-read the paragraph, but it made me lol.

Anyway this surprised me at first, 'cause I thought someone had already topped MAG.

I played two MAG betas hoping for a spiritual successor to Planetside. I certainly didn't get that, but the outcome was excellent on its own merits.

The teamwork aspect was iffy. It all depended on whether or not your team decided to use mics. If they did then you could keep or take positions pretty quickly/easily. If your team didn't communicate at all you'd have to hope that people were playing conservatively and not run'n'gun.

The devs did a pretty good job giving incentives to keeping players' minds on objectives with bonus XP allotted or stat boosts for many aspects (repairing, kill proximity, leadership proximity, healing, bombing, defusing, etc).

The only time that there was real confusion for battle roles was sniper support. Some players derided it for being a waste of time (their view were that snipers only existed to improve their own k/d ratio). However good snipers are great for defense and maintaining an offensive line (especially in a counter-sniping role).

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here