BioShock 2 DRM Getting Scaled Back

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

BioShock 2 DRM Getting Scaled Back

In response to heavy complaints about DRM for its upcoming BioShock 2, 2K Marin has scaled back its DRM plans.

Last week, we learned that the hotly anticipated BioShock 2 would contain the hated SecuROM DRM (and install limits), plus Games For Windows Live install limits on top of that. The reaction from PC gamers was decidedly less than happy, prompting representatives to try and explain how it wasn't quite so bad as it seemed. It seems as though this wasn't enough to silence this particularly squeaky wheel, though, as complaints have continued.

Complaints have continued so fervently, in fact, that 2K Marin seems to have given in to the pressure, quoth a BioShock 2 blog post. "Because of this feedback," said the representative in question (read: complaints), "we are scaling back BioShock 2's DRM."

Scaling back doesn't mean completely removed, of course, but here's what's gone: "There will be no SecuROM install limits for either the retail or digital editions of BioShock 2, and SecuROM will be used only to verify the game's executable and check the date. Beyond that, we are only using standard Games for Windows Live non-SSA guidelines, which, per Microsoft, comes with 15 activations (after that, you can reset them with a call to Microsoft.)"

This holds true for both digital and retail versions of BS2, which the representative pointed out now had DRM equal to that of Eidos' Batman: Arkham Asylum, a game that many had pointed out as doing a much better job of the whole thing. Unfortunately, that seems to only be referring to the actual traditional DRM - presumably pirating BioShock 2 won't get you a gimped Big Daddy (that is a sentence I never thought I'd ever have to write).

So, what do you think? Is it enough to quell the irritated PC masses? Or is it still not good enough?

I never really cared about the install limit. What annoys me is gfwl. If this game requires a log in to that just to save your game, its a deal breaker. I hated gfwl in GTA.

It's better, but it's still a deal breaker for me. Just as it was a deal breaker for me on Crysis, BioShock, the Riddick game and all other games with activation limits.

Add to that the horrible GFWL and it's only worse. I can't stand the thing and it's beyond me why it's used by anyone. I'll suffer through it on Batman and DoW 2 but that's about my limit. It's simply horrible.

So, I'll not be buying BioShock 2 then. Should give me some free room in the budget.

Edit: and I'll not be getting it on my PS3 either. Remove GFWL and activation limits and we got a deal.

Meh, DRM is a waste of money, those that want to pirate it will. It does nothing but piss off paying customers. But this is a dead horse, and I'm putting away my baseball bat.

Gotta give them credit for actually listening though.

Yay! The buckled under the might of whatever it is we did!

Yeah, it's good enough, as long as it doesn't interfere too much with my gaming experience, I can deal with it.

As long as 15 activations can be reset, I do not care.

The only good DRM is no DRM. Simple as that.

All it does is punish customers, and Games for Windows Live is just the worst thing you can put into a game.

Hmm. I might actually get this on PC now, or not..... Still on the fence as whether to even get this game. DRM isn't helping. I don't want my nice new shiny PC filled up with SecuROM.

Still not enough, I'm officially no longer purchasing this game. Honestly, as much as I really, absolutely fucking hate SecuROM, it's the GFW Live bit that is driving my decision to a uncompromising NO. I refuse to install that POS for any game, and this one is no exception.

mavkiel:
I never really cared about the install limit. What annoys me is gfwl. If this game requires a log in to that just to save your game, its a deal breaker. I hated gfwl in GTA.

Agreed. I don't care about SecuROM, I just don't want the GFWL crap running on my computer, EVER. Honestly, all these friggin' programs--why don't they just throw in a free virus with every game?

DRM is like long term rental when YOU decide when you want the rental to end, but you don't really decide, because if I upgrade my computer 1 bit at a time over the months I'm likely going to run out within the year, why should a game effectively make me wait to install the most parts at a time simply to save on an inconvenience I shouldn't have in the first place.

DRM was the reason spore ended up like it did, nuff said.

As for GFWL... I'm on the fence, I'd prefer it if I could just use Steam rather than have thing two, like on Dow2.

They should just have a keycode like Blizzard games and make the multiplayer available to one computer at a time. DRM didn't work for Spore, so I don't see the point of it now.
Good to see people responding to feedback. (Also, I'm getting this on the Xbox).

Irridium:

All it does is punish customers, and Games for Windows Live is just the worst thing you can put into a game.

Any single-player game that requires internet connection to play is stupid. I don't care if there's leader boards or achievements you can just let me choose to use them or not. As for DRM, unless it's creative it should be almost non-existent. If someone wants to pirate the game then they will. The goal of standard DRM should be to lock out idiots and ametuers. Creative DRM such as that gimpy batman thing...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94524-Arkham-Asylum-Pirates-Get-a-Gimpy-Batman

...should be used to deal with the more extreme crackers and make a pirates job of mass distribution harder.

The rule for acceptable DRM is that it is acceptable if a normal consumer would never be inconvenienced by it under any circumstance. GFWL is a bit annoying, but it sounds like the rather inconspicuous style GFWL of DoW. Still a minus, but not a big one. 15 activations...well it bugs me, but it's hard to imagine it being a real issue. The DRM is still unnecessary, but props for listening to the community. I'm buying it.

Still not buying it.

Nice of them to drop one of the two arbitrary install limits.

But that still leaves the game with an install limit and the need to run no less than three other programs and an internet connection and two separate logins for the sake of playing a single damn game.

I have a problem with being made to run three processes for the sake of one that I actually want, if they announced they were ditching GFWL and Securom and just Steaming it that would be nice. I'd settle for just ditching GFWL to be honest, but as it is, no money from me Mr Irrational.

feather240:

Irridium:

Any single-player game that requires internet connection to play is stupid. I don't care if there's leader boards or achievements you can just let me choose to use them or not. As for DRM, unless it's creative it should be almost non-existent. If someone wants to pirate the game then they will. The goal of standard DRM should be to lock out idiots and ametuers. Creative DRM such as that gimpy batman thing...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94524-Arkham-Asylum-Pirates-Get-a-Gimpy-Batman

...should be used to deal with the more extreme crackers and make a pirates job of mass distribution harder.

Exactly.

Imagine if Bioware did that with Mass Effect 2, where say, if you go the evil path, you lose experience.
Or if you make a certain choice, or romance certain people, or at certain parts in the game the enemies are invincible.

Sorting out all the code in a game like ME2 to try and fix these things would be a nightmare. There could even be code that would make 2 more problems for every 1 problem thats fixed.

Granted I'm not a programmer or coder or anything so I have no idea if thats feasable. Still, something to look into.

wait so this only allows you to download on a certin ammount of computers? Oh okay. Dont really see a point why people are getting mad. most likely people will only download it to one computer.

Irridium:

feather240:

Irridium:

Exactly.

Imagine if Bioware did that with Mass Effect 2, where say, if you go the evil path, you lose experience.
Or if you make a certain choice, or romance certain people, or at certain parts in the game the enemies are invincible.

Sorting out all the code in a game like ME2 to try and fix these things would be a nightmare. There could even be code that would make 2 more problems for everyone thats fixed.

Granted I'm not a programmer or coder or anything so I have no idea if thats feasable. Still, something to look into.

News Today: "In a surprising turn of events the internet troll population has subsided to an all time low, also coincidentally there has been a massive increase in programmers."

Gotta give thm points for listening I suppose.

GFWL needs to go away. I don't care about install limits, but GFWL is annoying as hell, and totally unnecessary.

I dot think I have installed anything as many as 15 times, but GFWL is utter bullshit

If only they'd get rid of Games for Windows Live.

It's a useless piece of software from my point of view, and I would never knowingly buy something with it on. Same for things that require Steam.

Plenty of other games for me to spend my money on.

Doesn't matter to me. I wasn't going to buy it anyway if the original is any indication of its quality.

The only DRM I've ever approved of is Steam. And it's still the case.

Batman: Arkham Asylum's one was a bit intrusive at first, but you don't see it after a while. But 15 install limits when you can just get some more with a phone call? Seems a bit redundant, and I feel there's something they're not letting on.

GFWL is a pile of crap, but as long as it doesn't intervene with my single player game - I'll probably skip multiplayer anyway - it's fine with me. They've gotta satisfy the investors, I guess? Still, it's good that they're at least aware of our complaints.

feather240:

Irridium:

Pretty much this. I hate DRM. The install limits are bullshit, you should never need the internet to play SINGLE player, and any of those extras should be just that; extras. Stuff you can choose to have or not. Not to mention the problems of if the company ever goes under or something happens with the servers.

This is a step in the right direction, but there are only two types of good DRM.
1) DRM that isn't there.
2) DRM such as that used in Arkham Assylum that ACTUALLY causes problems for pirates. You know, what it was meant to do in the first place.

I will never again purchase any game with GFWL, unless it can be modded out (ie Fallout 3).

There is no reason to use GFWL when there is Steam.

johnman:
I dot think I have installed anything as many as 15 times

I have, evil genius, a total of 18, on my computer only. I need to make my mind up about the damn thing.

Anyway, install limits are never acceptable. It doesn't stop anyone from pirating it.

Now, before you start throwing things at me, this is MY personal opinion. I'm not trying to start a flamewar. If you start something with me, do it in PM and don't risk getting banned over an opinion.

I never really understood the hate on DRM and SecuROM. It's just trying to stop piracy, which, lets face it, is eventually going to piss enough devs off and they're just going to stop producing top games.

And why the hate on GFWL? It doesn't bother me that much in DoW2. I don't see what all the bitching and moaning is about.

I dunno, may be I just don't see the side of gaming where you bitch and moan about every little change. As long as the game is the best the devs can produce, it shouldn't matter how many times you should install a game, or whatever.

*dons flameshield*

I don't understand the activations. As long as you're going to let me reset them anyway why have them at all? I bought the game I should be able to reinstall it as many times as I want without having to call and talk to some mouth-breathing microsoft flunky.

presumably pirating BioShock 2 won't get you a gimped Big Daddy

"Call me Jamall!"

i dont give a flying shit about download limitations, i have never installed a game more than 2 times, and online activation is only a couple of seconds out of my time, no biggie, but GFWL is there constantly, thats the only part i wanted removed, at best the only thing it does is pulling me out of the experience and immersion to tell me that i have now walked 2 miles and they just wanted to congratulate me on that, its like having your mom walk in every 5 min, if they keep forcing it on us I'm moving back in with my parents.

Great, lets all start renting games at full price.

Hopefully GFWL will be modded out of the game pretty soon, like it was for Fallout 3 (which as soon as I found out about I downloaded and installed)

But at least they got rid of secuROM

Wait wait wait... I just read the article, linked in this one, where 2K 'explains' how the DRM really works, and correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the description of the 'scaled back' DRM implementation sound exactly like their explanation of how it worked prior to any scaling back? Or in other words, that they've changed nothing and are just telling us that they have and hoping we'll buy it because the explanation of how it actually works sounds better than the original story did?

If not, please explain how they are scaling things back by only having Securom act as a disc check and providing 15 activations via GFWL where you will need to call Microsoft should you run out, if that's precisely what they said they were doing in their earlier explanation prior to any 'caving'.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here