Battlefield: Bad Company 2 DRM Detailed

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 DRM Detailed

Remember how happy you were when you found out that Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is going to support dedicated servers? Get ready to kiss that pleasant feeling goodbye, because today we're going to learn about the DRM.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 scored some major PR points when it was discovered that Activision's Modern Warfare 2 would eschew dedicated server support, for years a standard component of online shooters on PCs, in favor of "console style" peer-to-peer matchmaking. EA DICE made a point of emphasizing that it wouldn't abandon its faithful core of PC supporters and even posted a "Dedicated Server FAQ" on the Bad Company 2 website, "dedicated to our PC players."

DICE will no doubt lose some of that goodwill, however, after today's update regarding the Bad Company 2 DRM. The short version: It's SecuROM. It's not the most intrusive, install-limiting version of the infamous copy protection software possible, but the name itself will probably be enough to put off a lot of potential buyers.

"The version which we use is a wrapper around the main game executable. It does everything it can by running as a 'normal' program; it does not install any sort of kernel software," explained Mikael Kalms, the lead programmer on the PC version of the game. "What this means is: No software is permanently installed on your machine, SecuROM is ONLY running when the game is running [and] when you uninstall the game, you will also uninstall the SecuROM software."

Owners will have two options to authenticate the game after it's installed: By putting the DVD in the drive for a disc check, or going online. With the disc in the drive, neither SecuROM nor the game will go online at all, so an internet connection will not be required in single player mode. Digital versions of the game will be required to authenticate online, obviously, but regardless of the version, the online check will only need to be done once: DICE has programmed the authentication to be valid for 10,000 days, meaning that a validation made on launch day (March 2, 2010) will be valid until July 18, 2037.

It sounds pretty reasonable to me. It's a complete waste of time, of course; there's probably even odds that the game will be cracked and available on torrents days before it hits store shelves. But if there's going to be DRM, this seems like a fairly reasonable approach: No internet connection required, an authentication that's good for three decades and no messy SecuROM extras hiding on your hard drive. Obviously some people won't be happy with that - SecuROM is SecuROM, after all - but at least it sounds like DICE is doing its best to ensure that the time its wasting on copy protection schemes isn't going to inconvenience people any more than necessary.

via: CVG

What happened to the No DRM trend. I prefer the day one DLC if this is its opposition

At least its not full blown "OMG" sucks DRM. I an see this working at least. Better than past solutions and the Draconian SecuROM

Compared to the shit ubisoft is pulling off, this is quite reasonable. My main gripe with securom is the fact that it includes a rootkit and if it's true that that part is not included here i might buy the game if it's good.

However, this isn't the first time somebody lied about the existence of said rootkit so i'll still be wary about this.

I find no problems with this. It could be much worse.

I don't see the point of a 3 decade "limit" to be honest... What's the difference for them between 30 years and lifetime? But hey, seems reasonable enough.

Lost In The Void:
What happened to the No DRM trend. I prefer the day one DLC if this is its opposition

Yeah seriously wtf? I thought that was the direction EA was going in. And I also thought the Day one DLC was a huge success. So I'll say it again wtf? It's going to be cracked within hours so it just seems like a huge waste of time and money that could be spent on making the game not suck.

I'm still against it personally. I'll play it, but I won't buy it. The only DRM a game needs is a good old fashioned disk check.

Even then, the word "need" is a stretch.

Well, looks like I wont be buying Bad Company 2 anymore. It is getting to the point where I will need to wait for the next Counter Strike to ever buy a primarily multiplayer FPS again.

Asehujiko:
Compared to the shit ubisoft is pulling off, this is quite reasonable. My main gripe with securom is the fact that it includes a rootkit and if it's true that that part is not included here i might buy the game if it's good.

However, this isn't the first time somebody lied about the existence of said rootkit so i'll still be wary about this.

It doesn't matter if the bad stuff one publisher is doing is not as bad as another, IT IS STILL BAD!

Bah, honestly with the whole Bioshock 2 and Ubisoft thing going on, this is definatly not the worst.

But still, EA didn't but Securom in Dragon Age or Mass Effect 2, so why Bad Company 2?

Caliostro:
I don't see the point of a 3 decade "limit" to be honest... What's the difference for them between 30 years and lifetime? But hey, seems reasonable enough.

I'm guessing its just to make investors happy.

Heh.

Well this is EA we are talking about so i am not sure if they are telling the whole truth. I am still mad at them after the whole Spore bullshit.

Wow.

Huh...

I am pleasantly surprised. I expected to come in here and simply state that I would not be buying this game, and point to the other threads where I detailed why I am anti-DRM, but as I said, I'm surprised. Yes, I would rather it not have SecuROM, but from what is said above, it's no better or worse than the low-impact versions of SecuROM I already put up with for the Sims or other games. CD Key validation or online, smart move. Always nice having an offline option, as online-only verification (or anything) is one of my biggest beefs. So long as single-player mode works 100% offline, I can live with this.

No Games for Windows Live (Fuck You 2K for Bioshock2), no mandatory Steam (Fuck you Monolith for FEAR2), and no install limitations (Fuck you again 2K for Bioshock 1&2). This might be the first (and likely only) game I actually purchase for 2010. Well, this, and Sims expansions.

But Dice, you don't get off the hook completely... WHERE THE FUCK IS A PC VERSION OF BAD COMPANY 1 GODS DAMNIT?!

I've never really had any problems with DRM in any game I've played. Sure, the install limits are stupid, but just having antipiracy stuff built in doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't break the game. I'm just getting annoyed with people bitching about it before they even try it. "Oh, it has DRM so we can't steal it, guess I'm not going to buy it anymore even though it won't effect game play AT ALL". But, whatever, I already preordered this off Steam, not much I can do about it now.

Okay... At least my D2D copy won't have SecuROM checks. Digital activation? I can swallow that. I've been with activations since Diablo 2, what I don't like are DRMs that punish me for buying the game.

Eukaryote:
Well, looks like I wont be buying Bad Company 2 anymore. It is getting to the point where I will need to wait for the next Counter Strike to ever buy a primarily multiplayer FPS again.

Asehujiko:

It doesn't matter if the bad stuff one publisher is doing is not as bad as another, IT IS STILL BAD!

Use D2D, fight the power.

Khell_Sennet:
no mandatory Steam

Wait, why do you complain about Steam? It's one of the best gaming-related things installed on my PC. Better than XFire.

I love these posters that are still upset it is there and wont buy it...

Kinda retarded really? Its like you are angry just so that you can remain angry?

This DRM wont affect you at all... Either Int or Disk check... no extra files installed. What is the fucking problem people?

I cry 'SHEEP!!!' on this one.

Way to go Dice. I for one will be buying your awesome product.

This doesn't sound that bad.

Well, as long as it's not that Spore BS I'm ok with it. Also, the fact that I'll be getting it on the Xbox could be influencing my opinion...

Andy Chalk:
t sounds pretty reasonable to me. It's a complete waste of time, of course; there's probably even odds that the game will be cracked and available on torrents days before it hits store shelves. But if there's going to be DRM, this seems like a fairly reasonable approach: No internet connection required, an authentication that's good for three decades and no messy SecuROM extras hiding on your hard drive.

sounds about right. People saying this is a deal-breaker just boggles the mind. Seriously, why is this so bad? No limited activations, no internet connection required, no back-door programs installed that can't be uninstalled...all sounds good to me.

Actually, this is the best stab at SecuROM I've ever seen. If it doesn't install any kernel software, and only runs when the game does, then alright. I'm still not too psyched for this game, but this is good news.

I have always been hard-line anti-DRM, and I'm sure this system will be no more or less effective than any of the other systems. (It will be on the torrents before or soon after release day.)

Having said that, I'd buy this game. The optional activation means the game won't just DIE when the servers go down someday. I'll still grumble about it because that's what I do, but it wouldn't keep me from buying a game.

Abedeus:
Okay... At least my D2D copy won't have SecuROM checks. Digital activation? I can swallow that. I've been with activations since Diablo 2, what I don't like are DRMs that punish me for buying the game.

Eukaryote:

Asehujiko:

Use D2D, fight the power.

Khell_Sennet:
no mandatory Steam

Wait, why do you complain about Steam? It's one of the best gaming-related things installed on my PC. Better than XFire.

I do, I only buy Steam.

Ok, this doesn't bug me at all... Seems reasonable.

Except... Am I still going to need this while running Steam? Isn't Steam authentication enough..? Unless I somehow managed to hack my Steam program and make it download BC2 for me and install it and then play it perfectly.

Hell, if I could do that, I wouldn't be here.

I will assume that this is the truth they are telling, for sake of argument.

I'm curious about the digital version, because useing a physical disc these days feels kind of like blowing into a cartridge, or playing on 56k. But as it is...yes, yes, this will do. I challenge anyone to name a situation where this DRM would hinder any legitimate buyers capability to play in any significant degree. We gotta to face facts that SOME DRM is a necessity. Sure, someone will always hack the game, and someone will always release it for free. But it's like locking your car door. Someone can get your car if they really want, but even a little security will dissuade the vast majority of thieves. Rock on, DICE. You have done good, and I sincerely hope the PC community rewards you. And when fewer people pirate your game then the harsher DRM-protected games, heres hoping publishers stop burning there own money in an attempt to harm legitimate buyers.

This is reasonable, I have no problems with this at all. I'll likely buy this game. It's refreshing to see that EA more or less learned their lesson with the install limits. I really don't see the reason for having a 30 year lifetime to it though... I'm pretty sure bad company 10 will be out by then.

Oh well, I remember the Starforce software, I can't say it's the best idea, Starforce or SecuROM, but in any case, I hope it doesn't affect the experience of the regular buyers.

Actually now that I think about it, you probably do need something like this it you're going to have dedicated servers for multiplayer. You need someway to keep people who downloaded the game illegally from flooding the servers. Otherwise you have the same thing that happened to DemiGod on launch day. Still given SecurRom's reputation.

I wasn't really planing on getting this for PC anyway so i guess it doesn't matter.

Odds are they could have renamed the software to SimpleDRM, released it in this format and most people wouldn't have batted an eyelid. Only uses it if you're going online, doesn't leave anything installed, no install limits. I can handle that, it's less than what Steam does (can't play single player without at least connecting to steam.

Thanks for actually thinking about it, EA, I'll buy your game.

Actually, this isn't bad at all, and I see no major problem with it. No internet is required for single player, and just a simple, one time activation on the internet for multiplayer.
I know it isn't no DRM, but it is a lot better than some.

Bretty:
I love these posters that are still upset it is there and wont buy it...

Kinda retarded really? Its like you are angry just so that you can remain angry?

This DRM wont affect you at all... Either Int or Disk check... no extra files installed. What is the fucking problem people?

I cry 'SHEEP!!!' on this one.

Way to go Dice. I for one will be buying your awesome product.

Agree. I can understand that people are upset with install limits, rootkits and unnecessary online activations, but deciding to boycott (or pirate) an game with even an mild version of DRM like this is just pointless.

[tinfoil hat]

The DRM that has been so frustrating to gamers over the past years, that when a limited version of securom is used, people find it reasonable because it's "not nearly as big an assraping" as it used to be, where the companies wanted it to begin with.

[/tinfoil hat]

wait for a crack that keeps the junk off your system.

Who buys SecuROM anyhow? Publishers? Why do they pay for something that:

1) Infuriates their customers
2) Does nothing else?

I mean, at best, it infuriates their customers less than other applications of SecuROM.

I also find the SecuROM blurb to be quite hilarious:

PC games and software are great business. By providing your products and services to the market you satisfy many people around the world. They love entertainment and see great value in your products.

Over the years, market requirements and consumer behaviour have changed. The PC games and software industry need to understand these changes and adapt their products and services accordingly.

Whether it is new business models such as Try & Buy or providing additional customer value by offering downloadable content, consumer satisfaction is what drives your business.

This is where SecuROM steps in.

(http://www2.securom.com/ - Emphasis theirs.) I think everyone can agree on what's said.

Abedeus:

Khell_Sennet:
no mandatory Steam

Abedeus, you've been here over a year now, and not once have you run into me spouting off a tirade on why I hate Steam? Shit dude, I do that almost once a month here.

Long-story short, I don't like launcher apps, I don't like their requirement of an online connection for offline play, and I don't like digital-only purchases. And to take a game like FEAR2, which I purchased off a shelf at my local Future Shop, and then tell me I still have to use Steam, pisses me off more than a red-headed stepchild.

Eukaryote:

I do, I only buy Steam.

My condolences...

Khell_Sennet:

Abedeus:

Khell_Sennet:
no mandatory Steam

Abedeus, you've been here over a year now, and not once have you run into me spouting off a tirade on why I hate Steam? Shit dude, I do that almost once a month here.

Long-story short, I don't like launcher apps, I don't like their requirement of an online connection for offline play, and I don't like digital-only purchases. And to take a game like FEAR2, which I purchased off a shelf at my local Future Shop, and then tell me I still have to use Steam, pisses me off more than a red-headed stepchild.

Eukaryote:

I do, I only buy Steam.

My condolences...

No need, Steam is the greatest thing to happen to PC Gaming since Cyberstorm was released. It is a digital distribution service that has frequent sales and cheap prices, and what's best is it is an evolution on Valve, a private gaming developer that has not and hopefully will not sell out.

While I still don't udnerstand what they hope to acomplish by this, i think it's fair enough, that they're making it affect the costumers as little as possible.
If I udnerstand this right, all i have to do is put the disc in when i'm playing. This is no different from back in the days, and some games still require that.

Also, i can chosoe not to haev the disc in (which is nice cause i'm lazy) by just beeing connected to the internet, which i always am. And if my net goes down, i can still just pop the disc in.

I don't see this as a problem for the players, only a unneccecery expense for the company, caus eit can and will be pirated the moment it comes out or before regardless of what kind of protectiopn they put on it.

SecuROM DRM doesn't work as intended, it has never worked (intended or otherwise). It's an expensive waste. It doesn't stop piracy, it's not even a speed bump. Steam or the Day One DLC are at best limiting potential piraters. Short of killing the pirates and those who do, limiting is the best they can acheive.

Remember the episode of the Simpsons where the town spends an outlandish fortune to keep bears away? Homer pays Lisa money for a rock which keeps tigers away (since there are no tigers, the rock must be working), SecuROM is like that rock.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here