Stargate: Atlantis Actor is the New Conan

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Stargate: Atlantis Actor is the New Conan

Jason Momoa, best known as the big, brooding Ronon Dex on Stargate: Atlantis, has been chosen to star in the title role of Conan, the upcoming remake of Robert E. Howard's fantasy classic.

Ronon is Conan: For some people, those three words will inspire a debate that will rage for years. For those who don't run in that particular crowd, let me explain: Since 2005, Momoa has been a regular on the sci-fi television series Stargate: Atlantis, where he plays Ronon Dex, a smoldering slab of muscle who beats the crap out of everything he sees and makes the ladies swoon with his burning, dark-eyed gaze. He's basically a reverse Seven of Nine and based on the feedback I've heard from women who actually watch the show, he's very effective in the role.

But now he's upping his game: According to a Deadline Hollywood report, Momoa has been selected as the new Conan for the upcoming "rebirth" of the famous fantasy franchise. Momoa got the role by filming a few "trial scenes" in which he waved around a sword and did his best Arnold Schwarzenegger impression.

So what's the debate? Momoa's a big boy but he's no Schwarzenegger, the "Austrian Oak" who set the gold standard for sword-wielding Cimmerians back in 1982. And physical appearance may be the least of his concerns; Ronon is a great supporting character on Atlantis but will Momoa have the screen presence to avoid being completely overshadowed by his predecessor, who despite being a less-than-accomplished actor managed to make himself into a modern legend of film? Or will his syndicated sex appeal be enough to turn the rowdy, beer-and-buddies flick from the 80s into something with legitimate appeal to female audiences? No matter how you look at it, these are big shoes to fill.

(On the other hand, if they bring back James Earl Jones as Thulsa Doom, I am so there.)

I'm unconvinced.

Hmmm...I will consider 2 hours of separated heads a suitable argument on Mr Ronon's part.

Christopher Judge>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>this guy.

Dude is yummy with a spoon, but I'm not convinced he's charismatic enough to be Conan.

When I saw the title I thought that he would be the new Conan O'Brien.

And nobody can replace Conan!!!

As for this... Meh. I don't think it will work.

God, how many remakes of 80's movies are they going to do?

On the plus side, I love his character Ronan, So I'm looking forward to it.

Supposedly the old Conan movies were only loosely related to the actual novels (no, I haven't actually watched the movies or read the books... you can just ignore this post if you like), so a better question might be, will they be sticking closer to the source material this time around?

MR T3D:

I agree. I'd rather have Christopher Judge be Conan than Jason.

Oh snap! A Stargate news post? Is the sky falling?

I.
LOVE.
Ronon.

another Hollywood remake of an old idea. who would have thunk it.....

I could see it actually. From how he was in Atlantis...One world...Type-Cast!

A remake of an Arnold Swartzinegger [sic] movie without Arnold? No, I don't like it. You will never replace the governator.

I think he should be good. On a side note, how long did you take to break this news? it was announced a week ago. Keep up escapist! xD

My girlfriend already wants me to grow dreds because of this guy. Guess I'll be seeing the movie whether I want to or not.

Susan Arendt:
Dude is yummy with a spoon, but I'm not convinced he's charismatic enough to be Conan.

Arnie is charismatic?

There can be only one Conan and that's Arnie.

As soon as we and, therefor, Hollywood grew out of the "muscled action hero" fase, a new Conan movie was doomed.

I can smell the NC review from a mile away. Buuuuut, as long as Momoa can convincingly give an ultimatum to a god, then I'm game.

Jaredin:
I could see it actually. From how he was in Atlantis...One world...Type-Cast!

Also, the Cimmerians are supposed to be descended from Atlanteans, albeit incredibly devolved.

Fictional History of Cimmeria:
The origins of the Cimmerians stretch back to the Thurian Age. The Cimmerians are the descendants of colonists from Atlantis. Living on the main Thurian continent, the colonists survived the great cataclysm which submerged Atlantis and destroyed most of the Thurian civilizations. The survivors, at this point reduced to a stone-age level of sophistication, eventually found themselves locked in multigenerational warfare with survivors of a Pictish colony. This prolonged conflict caused the Atlanteans to further devolve into little more than ape-men. With no memory of their history or even of language and civilization itself, these beings eventually redeveloped into a people known as Cimmerians.

It makes perfect sense from a casting point of view, ape man from Atlantis = Jason Momoa.

I just hope he can record a DVD commentary as entertaining as Arnold's epic...

robrob:
Arnie is charismatic?

Are you kidding? He sure didn't get to where he is today because of all the years he spent toiling at the Royal Shakespeare Company.

Forget this; Schwarzenegger at least looked like Conan.

But he's blick!

Enjoyed SG:A, though Ronin wasn't my favourite character they rarely gave him anything to do except look angry. He works a little too hard at the growly scary look for it ever to seem natural.

Also, do we need a re-make? I can just watch the original happily.

Why do they need an actor for a Conan film? Just shave a gorilla, give him a sword or two, kick him in the nuts and let him chop up a few dummies. It worked the first time.

But does he know what is good in life?

robrob:

Susan Arendt:

Arnie is charismatic?

Perhaps that's not the right word...magnetic? Dude commands the screen, is what I'm saying. Not sure the same is true of Mr. Momoa.

HAH! I thought Conan O'Brien at first!

I like Atlantis though, I hope this works out.

Susan Arendt:

robrob:

Susan Arendt:

Arnie is charismatic?

Perhaps that's not the right word...magnetic? Dude commands the screen, is what I'm saying. Not sure the same is true of Mr. Momoa.

I like how you put that. Both actors as I know them just drip and ooze badassness, but Jason does it well from the back of the room, behind the main characters while Arnold does it in everyone's face. Personally, I like the quiet badass more because they don't need to shout "I'm a Badass" for you to know it, but I don't know if that is who Conan is as a character.

As much as I liked the movies, I want to see a Conan closer to the novels. He was more than just a lumbering brute out for himself. And he certainly didn't become King Conan by being a dummy.

ucciolord1:
I.
LOVE.
Ronon.

someone hasn't watched much of SG-1..

This guy's idea of 'acting' is glowering at things and shooting them.

It'll be a while before filming starts, maybe Jason will take the time to add on a few extra kilos of muscle in that time. The original was an entertaining watch, but I have never found Arnie to be that good of an actor.

I hope the remake will be more faithful to the source material.

MR T3D:

ucciolord1:
I.
LOVE.
Ronon.

What are you talking about? I've watched almost every episode. Why wouldn't I like Ronon?

Frank_Sinatra_:

MR T3D:

I agree. I'd rather have Christopher Judge be Conan than Jason.

Oh snap! A Stargate news post? Is the sky falling?

Took the words out of my mouth with the news post dude. Too bad he can't have that awesome blaster he had in the series for the movie.

Well, I doubt he will be as iconic as Arnie, and he will probably be critisized for that. But I'm pretty sure he can do a better job as an actor , since Arnie... *sigh, I'm gonna get flamed for that*.. is a horrible actor.

My dad, who despises remakes with a flaming passion, thinks that he'll make a much better Conan than Ahnawld did. I agree with him.

ucciolord1:

MR T3D:

ucciolord1:
I.
LOVE.
Ronon.

What are you talking about? I've watched almost every episode. Why wouldn't I like Ronon?

ronon is just a shadow of the awesomeness of teal'c, and that kindof cheapens him.
he tries to be badass, but the franchise had more than hit their 'badass warrior limit' long before his introduction.
but i guess you find him amusing, its just so hard for me to.
stuff like this made him much deeper than "grunt. last of race. grunt. dreadlocks. STUN revolvers"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here