Love: Kurt Would Have Been OK With Guitar Hero 5

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Love: Kurt Would Have Been OK With Guitar Hero 5

Kurt Cobain's widow, Courtney Love, has amended her position on her husband's appearance in Guitar Hero 5, saying that he would have found it 'funny'.

Courtney Love made headlines in the gaming press last year after she lashed out at Activision's use of her husband's likeness in Guitar Hero 5 and Band Hero, saying she was going to 'sue the shit' out of the company. Activision responded, saying that Love had signed the necessary contracts for them to use Cobain's likeness as they did and no suit was filed.

But just a few months later and Love seems to have changed her tune. In an interview with NME Magazine, Love said: "What pisses me off the most about it is I think Kurt would be fine with having five Kurt Cobains singing the (Spice Girls) song Wannabe, like, 'Tell me what you want, what you really really want.' ... I think he'd find that really funny."

She went on to say that she wanted to join the lawsuit that Gwen Stefani had started over the alleged misuse of her likeness in Band Hero: "...it's gross what they did. Gwen started the lawsuit. I have really good lawyers now and will join that lawsuit. There was this grey area and they fucked the lot of us. They didn't fuck Jack White, but they fucked Gwen, fucked Johnny Cash and fucked Kurt ... It's just gross. This is the rock 'n' roll business, this is what people do. They are sleazy; they do sleazy things."

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out, assuming that Love is allowed to join the lawsuit, as she seems to be espousing two different positions on the issue. In both cases it seems that Activision has used the artists' likeness for more than was intended, but is this just a case of 'always reads the fine print', or do the artists have a legitimate case?

Source: GamePro

I have no knowledge over what was signed and what wasn't, so I'm going to make a complete guess and say "Always read the fine print!"

Logan Westbrook:
They are sleazy; they do sleazy things."

Aha.
Ahahaha.
Ahahahaha.

Oh Courtney Love, the irony of that statement will haunt you for generations. Or until you melt.

Humans always want to get the better of other humans. It's really depressing sometimes. I've already had contracts with fine print shoved in my face at 20 years old, and I just don't get why people can't be fair with each other.

Sort of depressing. Oh well, it's called a "likeness" for a reason. If I saw some guy on the street who looked like me, could I sue him for stealing my look?

And that guy with brown hair must have a ton of money for all the games his likeness has been in.

Courtney Love is just a money grubber. She signs off on a lot of stuff without knowing what it is because she is always drugged up. Just recently Francis Bean (their daughter) was placed back with Kurt's mother for a time because Courtney doesn't have her life in order. It's really sad and Courtney is honestly my least favorite person in the world because she uses Nirvana as her little money train and doesn't care about fans. Sad times...

What is she HIGH? She must be..i mean just look at her UGH KILL HER WITH FIRE..

WITH FIRE I SAY

They fucked Gwen, fucked Johnny Cash and fucked Kurt eh? Reminds me of that Nirvana song. Rape me, rape me and my friends.

Anyway, I have no idea whether or not Kurt would've found it funny but it was wrong of Courtney to allow it. Then again, I do use Kurt to rap Bring The Noise quite a lot so maybe I can't talk.

Ugh, who cares? The guy is dead anyway.
And his music isn't that great either. (IT'S AN OPINION)

Did these people not understand what a guitar hero/ rock band game was? If they didn't want their various likenesses singing crap songs like the spice girls then they should have said no when approached by the companies.

SnootyEnglishman:

WITH FIRE I SAY

*looks up what she looks like*
AAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!
My eyes....

OT: Really this lady needs to get over herself. Really I just see this as a cheap attempt for media attention.

Krakyn:
Humans always want to get the better of other humans. It's really depressing sometimes. I've already had contracts with fine print shoved in my face at 20 years old, and I just don't get why people can't be fair with each other.

Because people tend to give too much credence to the concept that "Business is Business." Frankly any profit made at the cost of human health is unacceptable. It is a shame that there was longer than a single second where anyone didn't believe that. A travesty now that it has been the case for thousands of years (that is to say people think Business is Business).

SnootyEnglishman:

WITH FIRE I SAY

Indeed, with much fire!

Yeah, she's a bit of a hypocrite and she's just... BLARGH, go away Love!

I wish I could just apologize about things that I dicked up on. Like when I tell a chick she's fat, then be like "oh I didn't mean it..."
Anytime a celebrity apologizes for something, you automatically know it's a lie.
And the part where he 'would have found it funny', he probably wouldn't have bitched about it in the first place...

I think Kurt would've been too high to care, but anyway....

I think Courtney Love needs to reacquaint herself with that little thing we like to call "reality" (not to be confused with reality TV; the two have nothing to do with each other). Maybe if she'd read the contract (or had a lawyer do it for her) rather than focusing on the zeros on the paycheck, she might have caught this. And how can she argue against it and yet admit there's nothing wrong with it at the same time?

JRCB:
Sort of depressing. Oh well, it's called a "likeness" for a reason. If I saw some guy on the street who looked like me, could I sue him for stealing my look?

In this case, "likeness" means a representation of you. As in, if some third-rate fried-chicken stand was using a picture of you in a "thumbs-up" pose to sell chicken without even asking or compensating you. Otherwise I'd be suing Joshua Jackson for basically being a better-looking and more-famous version of me.

...hang on a bit, I need to call my lawyer.

KeyMaster45:
Did these people not understand what a guitar hero/ rock band game was? If they didn't want their various likenesses singing crap songs like the spice girls then they should have said no when approached by the companies.

Except two of the people with their likeness in Guitar Hero 5 are dead. They didn't have any choice in the matter.

Looking at that music video where all the Nirvana guys are dressed up as pregnant women and shit like that, I have to say she's probably right.

JRCB:

And that guy with brown hair must have a ton of money for all the games his likeness has been in.

I'm sorry I have to get so much away from the topic, but you seriously need to change your avatar. Like, really seriously. I click it seven times a day at least, and I want that to stop.

Gladion:
Looking at that music video where all the Nirvana guys are dressed up as pregnant women and shit like that, I have to say she's probably right.

JRCB:

I'm sorry I have to get so much away from the topic, but you seriously need to change your avatar. Like, really seriously. I click it seven times a day at least, and I want that to stop.

It's like my face: I can't change it for it is who I am. Sorry about it, though.

It's ammusing too me that, she's indignant on Kurt's behalf, yet no one is indignant on Johnny Cash's behalf...if the family of the other dead one in Guitar Hero 5 doesn't care, she needs to realise, she shouldn't care either.

Besides, who actually uses the celebs when there's a custom rocker maker thing? I mean, given the choice, would you rather 100% Scatterbrain as yourself or Kurt?

This ladies and gentlemen, is the true definition of a fucking hypocrite.

I really hate Courtney Love, Almost as much as I would hate Kurt if he was still alive...
Now she's likes the Idea of Kurt being in guitar hero again because she realises it's ironic and thats what the cool alternative people are all trying to be nowadays...

Fuck I wish it was the 80's, and we'd never have any of these shitty modern cultures...

Oh god there is seriously something really wrong with Courtney Love. I remember reading in Anthony Kiedis's biography (Lead singer of Red Hot Chili Peppers) that when their guitarist at the time smashed his guitar he tossed it in the crowd and Courtney Love staged dive and got into a fight with a fan for the broken instrument.

Why?

Also once you become famous in any form or manner you're free game, one of the many by-products of fame. And games are no exception, Jack Thompson's likeness was used for Mortal Kombat he tried to sue and failed. Even when you're dead your image would be plastered in every possible way. Just hope to god they'd be used in the Simpsons or South Park.

ForgottenPr0digy:
they should give everyone who bought GH5 should have gotten a free shotgun so they shot themselves in the head just like Kurt.

Nawwww that was mean....

Again, I say people would kill to even have their song put on Guitar Hero. If someone told me that they wanted to put one of my songs on Guitar Hero, I wouldn't think twice. To think that they would want to put you actually in the game would be beyond an honor. So she needs to get over herself, especially considering that she signed over the rights, if I'm not mistaken.

I doubt he would, but meh its like che guavara on the shirts from the gap, its just profiteering off peoples reputations who werent all that big on the capatalism rofl.

UnableToThinkOfName:
KILL THE WHORE. KILL.

That comment got a 300% awesomeness bonus for the avatar.

Spacefly:
I really hate Courtney Love, Almost as much as I would hate Kurt if he was still alive...
Now she's likes the Idea of Kurt being in guitar hero again because she realises it's ironic and thats what the cool alternative people are all trying to be nowadays...

Fuck I wish it was the 80's, and we'd never have any of these shitty modern cultures...

So your telling me that Hair Metal > Grunge? There have always been shitty modern cultures its just now they are retro or something. There always will be aswell.

Anyway OT i think if that guitar hero or any other piece of media is going to use someones likeness they should have to talk to that person theirselves. If they are dead then tough shit they shouldn't allow someone who thinks they know them the best or worse a fucking lawyer to say yay or nay because they are always going to say yes. If it means more money for them than let it roll.

Im only going to let my intese nirvana fanboy out of the closet just long enough to say the stage kurt is on looks like shit, its way too bright and compared to the rest of the picture kurt looks so goddamn out of place. Also his face looks like they were trying to drown him in the river of uncanny valley, just doesn't look right. I mean if your going to do this atleast make it look real or somewhat respectful.

One more thing before i go: FUCK COURTNEY LOVE THAT MURDEROUS, MONEY GRUBBING, CRACK WHORE! KILL HER WITH FIRE! FUCKING FIRE!

Logan Westbrook:

Kurt Cobain's widow, Courtney Love, has amended her position on her husband's appearance in Guitar Hero 5, saying that he would have found it 'funny'.

Courtney Love made headlines in the gaming press last year after she lashed out at Activision's use of her husband's likeness in Guitar Hero 5 and Band Hero, saying she was going to 'sue the shit' out of the company. Activision responded, saying that Love had signed the necessary contracts for them to use Cobain's likeness as they did and no suit was filed.

But just a few months later and Love seems to have changed her tune. In an interview with NME Magazine, Love said: "What pisses me off the most about it is I think Kurt would be fine with having five Kurt Cobains singing the (Spice Girls) song Wannabe, like, 'Tell me what you want, what you really really want.' ... I think he'd find that really funny."

i don't see the contradiction here. Love and the other artists involved in the lawsuit are suing because they feel Activision didn't notify them that their likenesses would be used in this way. What Love seems to be saying here is that she's especially pissed because Kurt likely would have signed off on it if he was still alive and was notified about it. The issue isn't the use of Kurt's likeness so much as that it wasn't clearly set down in the contract, as far as i can tell.

If I remember right, there was a similar situation when Weird Al Yankovic parodied Smells Like Teen Spirit; initially some people at the label were furious that the parody was unauthorized, but as it turned out Yankovic had spoken with Cobain and had gotten his permission.

Two opinions at once?

*Head explodes*

cobra_ky:

Logan Westbrook:

i don't see the contradiction here. Love and the other artists involved in the lawsuit are suing because they feel Activision didn't notify them that their likenesses would be used in this way. What Love seems to be saying here is that she's especially pissed because Kurt likely would have signed off on it if he was still alive and was notified about it. The issue isn't the use of Kurt's likeness so much as that it wasn't clearly set down in the contract, as far as i can tell.

If I remember right, there was a similar situation when Weird Al Yankovic parodied Smells Like Teen Spirit; initially some people at the label were furious that the parody was unauthorized, but as it turned out Yankovic had spoken with Cobain and had gotten his permission.

That's all bullshit. If she cared even a little bit about how it would be used, all she'd had to do was check out the previous games. Would have taken a couple of minutes on Youtube for fuck's sake. As it was, she didn't give a fuck, and just wanted the money. And now she's been paid, she's trying to cash in on a lawsuit to sue for even MORE money. Man, I hate Courtney Love.

I stop paying attention to games when the number passes 3 anyway.

Ozzy should sue for being forced to sing "La Bamba"

This is the same bitch who turned her post-punk semi-riot grrl band into Fleetwood Mac in order to be re-embraced by the MTV crowd and later had her "body" done, the same bitch who after forcing her way backstage told the Mars Volta that they had a generational obligation to the verse-chorus-verse song structure, and the same bitch who's been praised every time she stopped falling down at awards shows due to drug-induced vertigo.

Take everything this little tart says with a teensy li'l grain of salt.

I did used to like her music, though.

Oh, and her last comeback attempt was an obvious rip off of the far superior Distillers.

SnootyEnglishman:

WITH FIRE I SAY

Oh come on, let's be original. Kill her with doughnuts. Krispy Kremes work best. As burgers with bacon.

OT: I think what we are seeing here is the two personalities of Courtney Love speaking out. One wants to keep Kurt all to herself, the other feels Kurt wants to be shared. Who will win? Tune in for the next Multiple Personality Celebrity Deathmatch!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here