EBGames Joins Fight for Aussie R18+ Rating

Pages 1 2 NEXT

EBGames Joins Fight for Aussie R18+ Rating

Australia's largest specialty videogame retailer has thrown its hat into the ring, backing the fight for an official R18+ rating in the country.

Our poor friends Down Under who have been fighting against the nefarious Michael Atkinson Galactic Empire in the hopes of getting a "Mature" rating for videogames may now have a new, powerful ally. EBGames, the country's largest videogame retailer, has joined the battle in pushing for an R18+ rating.

EBGames will be displaying signs (as seen on Kotaku) at all 350+ of its Australian installations, urging the country to "grow up." The retailer will also be supporting the cause on its website, with signs and site alike aimed at increasing awareness of a petition in support of the cause.

84% of Australian EBGames customers support the R18+ rating according to company polls, which was a key factor in the retailer's decision to publicly join the fight:

"With the release of the Government's discussion paper, we knew as a company that we needed to act on this issue as it continues to cripple our industry and cost local jobs. We did however want to be sure that our customers were as passionate about the matter as we are," said EB Managing Director Steve Wilson. "This is not a call for violent video games, but rather a call for a better classification system that brings Australia in line with the rest of the world and other Australian entertainment industries, such as films."

A multibillion dollar corporation is a powerful friend to have in a fight like this, to be certain - but will it be enough?

(Kotaku, via GamePolitics)

I was starting to wonder when the game sellers would step in

Fight for freedom EBgames!

I like the fact in any other country the 18+ rating is an annoying obstacle to overcome, but thanks to Lord Atkinson it's all topsy-turvy in Oz.

Well it's about time...Now they have allies just like the Atkinson Empire got theirs

Well of course, they need the sales from all those M rated titles.

Makes good business sense.

Is EBGames owned by Gamestop in Australia? I know it is here in the states.

OT: I think this is great, the fact that one man can control whether Adults can buy what they want is ridiculous. Hopefully this can bring about an R18 rating in Australia.

Right on. This can only be a good thing for our Australian escapists. I hope you guys can get that bloody rating soon.

Yay! My favorite game's retailer is now backing our cause! However, I don't think this will be enough. I mean, an industry backing itself is to be expected. The problem with this fight is that it's literally "society vs games". Almost like in highschool where all the different clicks would ban together just to ostracize one group.

Hmmm, Well I hate them a little less for constantly ripping me off with trade-ins and and such.

Props to EB Games!

Great to see someone fighting the corner of the gamers! Lets hope its voice is loud enough against the enourmosue death star that is "Atkinson"!

make the average, cound't-care-less-about-games-person realize that this is a case of "they took our jobs!" and the gamres down under should have chance.

John Funk:
84% of Australian EBGames customers support the R18+ rating according to company polls

84% is surprisingly low, considering this was a poll taken of their customers. I'd have expected almost unanimous support.

If not even all Australian game buyers want an adult rating then maybe the bulk of non-gamers in the country don't want it. In which case they shouldn't get one, it is a democracy after all.

Maybe a referendum should be taken to actually figure out who supports the 18+ rating.

Ozzies (or Aussies) take up arms and prepare for the final aussalt.

Actual:

John Funk:
84% of Australian EBGames customers support the R18+ rating according to company polls

84% is surprisingly low, considering this was a poll taken of their customers. I'd have expected almost unanimous support.

If not even all Australian game buyers want an adult rating then maybe the bulk of non-gamers in the country don't want it. In which case they shouldn't get one, it is a democracy after all.

Maybe a referendum should be taken to actually figure out who supports the 18+ rating.

it would be kind of fun that 50% were underage kids :P jaja, but yeah, a democracy is always good, and 84% of the gaming customers "want" the M rating, but if those are the "gaming" customers, what about all the others that are not?

Actual:

Democracy is not an excuse for discriminatory treatment. There is a reason that the courts, under certain circumstances, have the power to overturn laws (here in Canada, anyway).

I hope they bring it in, I think it's silly the Australians can't buy a bunch of games :s

Does the government there not realise that game sales = tax = money?

They're like the Han Solo of Australia.

Suck it, Emp Atkinson. Harrison Ford is going to mess you up.

I was expecting more game publishers to get involved in this. I mean you'd think Activison could spare some of the billions of dollars they made on MW2 on this, instead of blowing it all on solid gold rocket ships.

ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWA!

But yeah, finally the Aussie's have an ally. About damn time.

KillerMidget:
I like the fact in any other country the 18+ rating is an annoying obstacle to overcome, but thanks to Lord Atkinson it's all topsy-turvy in Oz.

what about new zealand?

Sparrow:
They're like the Han Solo of Australia.

Suck it, Emp Atkinson. Harrison Ford is going to mess you up.

they are more like the zaeed massani. they are doing it 10% because they actually care and 90% beacause the want MOAR MONEYZZ!!!!!!

Actual:

John Funk:

Maybe the remaining 16% are 15 year olds who like being able to buy the games that slip through the censors, like FEAR2 - 18 in the UK, Teen (or whatever they have) in Oz.

Am I the only one who sees a war brewing?

If you gotta fight, fight your right to game.

$5 says Atkinson claims that this is unfair because it's a video game distributor or something stupid along those lines.

On Topic: GO AUUSIE GAMERS! GO! (Yes the caps were necessary)

Cookies to EBGames! Hopefully with some corporate muscle behind them they can get the people of Oz to support the mature rating.

Good luck Aussie friends!

The allmighty dollar. Works for drug companies to get what they want as well.

If you want change, make sure there's potential to make money, and you'll have a lot of support.

Although I will kinda miss all the articles on Atkinson. I find them entertaining.

Jesus himself could join the fight for the R18+ rating in Australia and Michael Atkinson would call him a R18+ nerd. The man is like a brick wall, unmovable and the only way to get rid of it is to destroy it! Seriously the South Australian Attorney General's tyranny can only end once he get's voted out and since he's seat is safer then Mount Olympus we here in Australia are stuck waiting for him to retire.

Come to think of it he did an interview on the ABC video game review show 'Good Game'(the show sucks mined you)saying that the companies want the rating for more money so EB Games joining the Pro R18+ side could be detremental to the cause. Here a link to the interview with Michael Atkinson on Good Game.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/goodgame/video/default.htm?pres=20081124_2100&story=8 and select the Great R18+ Debate video

Go EB games!
Please, someone just tell this guy how much of a jerk he is? Find some way to reason with him!

I was just having a look at IMDB's top 10 movies, and having seen that someone had the sense to call for Australia to consider gaming alongside Australia's other entertainment industries, they need to ask themselves.

Should Australia not allow such movies as:

The Godfather
Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction
Schindler's List
American Beauty
Se7en
Taxi Driver
Clockwork Orange,

and about a quarter of all movie history to be shown again? In case a child sees some of it?

Don't be so idiotic and allow parents to parent.

Of course I'm not saying there's a lot of games that hit places like Shawshank Redemption and Schindler's List, but we're still a young artform, still finding our feet and finding out what we can do and where we can go. But shutting us off so soon could deny us the video game equivalent of Shawshank, just because someone's mom can't say no in Gamestop.

Attention all students.

Sign the Petition.

And would Neonbob report to my office at once.

That is all.

Atkinson has the Christians on his side. Everyone else has EBGames and Yahtzee's rallying support.

I think you are about to fucking lose, Atkinson.

This is one of those rare instances of Capitalism working, the Companies want more money and so step behind a movement to increase their sales, and we as the consumer will get what we wanted. It's win - win.

I would wager that if Game also joined in they could do what they do in America; Buy a politician to replace Atkinson.

This is the comment I left

Fuhjem:
Let adults make adult decisions. A government's role is to be a symbol of the peoples' beliefs and desires, not the other way around. Why should people be forced to see the world in the narrow focused view of a government? The way Michael Atkinson is treating his people is insulting, and as even as an American I can barely stand to see it when an inhumane justice such as this occurs overseas.

God damn it took the industry long enough to jump in on this matter. Why haven't game development studios stepped in to fight this?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here