Analyst Says Darksiders Was A Disappointment for THQ

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Analyst Says Darksiders Was A Disappointment for THQ

Signal Hill analyst Todd Greenwald thinks that Vigil Games' Darksiders may have been a poor way for THQ to ring in its new year.

Vigil Games' Darksiders rang in the new year with a roaring apocalyptic journey of kicking ass through heaven and hell as War, one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Some reviewers thoroughly enjoyed it, others didn't, but the game managed a respectable 83 on Metacritic. Despite generally positive reviews, however, at least one analyst is predicting that Darksiders did not pass muster when it comes to publisher THQ's books.

Darksiders must have cost THQ a pretty penny, says Signal Hill's Todd Greenwald, and THQ may not be seeing quite the return on investment it's been hoping for. "Darksiders didn't perform up to THQ's expectations," laid out Greenwald, "likely selling less than 1 million units despite heavy marketing dollars, 2-3 years of development costs, and was also subject to discounting just 2 weeks after its release."

Overall, Greenwald expects THQ's Q1 earnings to be around $347 million come March. While I'm sure there isn't a single one of us who wouldn't love to have made $347m in revenue in a quarter of a year, it all depends on how much they spent in that year - and if Greenwald's predictions about Darksiders are true, then THQ's hopes at achieving profitability may have just been severely undermined.

(Gamasutra)

I didn't see any advertisements for this thing, whatsoever. Not even a web banner. Yet, even though it sold well, this guy thinks THQ will be disappointed regardless?

Really?

Well this guy is clearly stuck up his on ass

I agree. I didn't see 1 god-damned advert for this game. The first thing I heard about it was my brother buying it for cheap in extra-vision. Seriously, it's their own damn fault.

I saw a bunch on Youtube...

after the game was already out...

I think it was more of a disappointment for the people that bought it, personally.

Wait, there was advertiseng?

Must have been in America only then.

And what is it with analysts, why does it matter whether it was a success, just ask THQ the next time you can.

Sparrow:
I didn't see any advertisements for this thing, whatsoever. Not even a web banner. Yet, even though it sold well, this guy thinks THQ will be disappointed regardless?

Really?

This game wasn't even on my radar until after it was already released; first a 'Context Sensitive' video by Armake21 on youtube (the game didn't look too bad, actually, I'll probably get it at some point) and then the Zero Punctuation video of it.

I never even heard of it before then.

Man, it got discounted 2 weeks after release. How well did they think it would do? It's one of the weaker titles out so far this year. Yahtzee's countless agonizing descriptions of the main character's look are enough to show the game can't be that great.

wow, talk about not knowing shit. Darksiders is a great game, and 347 million bucks is ALOT of money. if he thinks thats a dissapointment, he must have his head stuck up his arse.

Sparrow:

Really?

There were TV ads on all the time for it.

How the hell do you spend millions advertising anyway? Stick a trailer on game trailers, get some websites to put up banners. The kind of people who would play this game aren't going to care about a TV ad - I never saw a MW2 TV AD except the Gamestop ones.

Doesn't come as a surprise to me. The game looks laughably awkward at best, and terribly lame at second best. Seriously, a God of War clone with the most vapid sort of character you can imagine?

I honestly don't care if Metacritic has an 83 for it, there's nothing about that game that looks worth $60 to me. I think reviewers need to stop handing out 7s and 8s to every single game just because it would hurt some developer's feelings if they got a more harsh and realistic score, but that's just me.

CD-R:

Sparrow:

Really?

I didn't see a single one, anywhere. Not on Dave, not on any BBC, not on Channel 4, E4, More 4, Film 4... nowhere.

Then again, maybe it just wasn't advertised in England.

Probably.

Duraji:
Doesn't come as a surprise to me. The game looks laughably awkward at best, and terribly lame at second best. Seriously, a God of War clone with the most vapid sort of character you can imagine?

I honestly don't care if Metacritic has an 83 for it, there's nothing about that game that looks worth $60 to me. I think reviewers need to stop handing out 7s and 8s to every single game just because it would hurt some developer's feelings if they got a more harsh and realistic score, but that's just me.

*slaps you upside the head* if anything its a zelda clone, the only thing it has in common with god of war is executions, now go back to your cod and other "realistic games"

The first time I heard of it was during Zero Punctuation and a few adverts on tv after the game came out already.

They really should have kept Famine and Pestilence.

Sparrow:

CD-R:

Sparrow:

Really?

I didn't see a single one, anywhere. Not on Dave, not on any BBC, not on Channel 4, E4, More 4, Film 4... nowhere.

BBC ads?

Grinnbarr:

Sparrow:

CD-R:

Sparrow:

Really?

BBC ads?

Well, if there were, I'm guessing I missed them. Can't have been many.

sln333:
Man, it got discounted 2 weeks after release. How well did they think it would do? It's one of the weaker titles out so far this year. Yahtzee's countless agonizing descriptions of the main character's look are enough to show the game can't be that great.

I would trust Yahtzee to give a good objective review about as much as I trust myself to perform open heart surgery with a whip saw and a pickaxe.

I'll form my own thoughts on the game once I rent it and power play it in a day.

knew it would happen.

3rd person action games are feeling really yawnsome at the moment. I have not seen one I felt the need to buy since the first ninja Gaiden.

John Funk:

Overall, Greenwald expects THQ's Q1 earnings to be around $347 million come March. While I'm sure there isn't a single one of us who wouldn't love to have made $347m in revenue in a quarter of a year, it all depends on how much they spent in that year - and if Greenwald's predictions about Darksiders are true, then THQ's hopes at achieving profitability may have just been severely undermined.

My understanding is that there is a new UFC game out this year. The first one sold like titty flavoured hot cakes so I'm not worried about THQs profitability just yet.

While I'm sure there isn't a single one of us who wouldn't love to have made $347m in revenue in a quarter of a year, it all depends on how much they spent in that year - and if Greenwald's predictions about Darksiders are true, then THQ's hopes at achieving profitability may have just been severely undermined.

I thought the average cost of development for big title games these days is somewhere between 5 and 50 millions, so I'd call 350 millions of a revenue a big success, assuming of course, that this is the clean revenue, which it probably isn't. Clearly I know nothing about this industry ..

I didn't think it was going to make as much as the Saint's Row or Red Faction franchises. Better games were coming out at the time of it's release, anyway. It probably would have sold well as a Summer release.

Jeez they really must have localized their advertisments because my area was swamped with adverts for Darksiders. You really couldn't go 1 hour with out seeing an advertisment on TV.

As for profitability what do people expect, it's a new IP. I thought for it being Vigil's first game it really wasn't all that bad.

1. THe marketing for Darksiders was piss poor at best. The first time I ever heard of it was when I was in the local gamestore and they were asking if I wanted to preorder it TWO DAYS before it released. Releasing it with absolutely zero real marketing during a season when every company is releasing their AAA+ titles is a guaranteed way to make sure your game never even registers as a blip on 90% of the market's radar.

Nobody even had a chance to decide between it and Bayonetta because the only thing we heard about was Bayonetta..

2. Who are these "Analysts" I keep reading about?! They seem to make a living making all sorts of claims and such, but seriously who do they work for, how are they gathering their information, and more importantly, who is seeking them out to get their opinions?! I want that job.

I think this person is disappointed because Darksiders wasn't another Warhammer 40k game; which, given the art style, can fool anyone.

Thalking about biased oppinions the only time i heard about this game was because Yahtzee made the review... and then i have just heard about it twice

its weird how publicity campaigns can work... or if you are THQ dont do one and hope someone notices

CD-R:

Sparrow:

Really?

It seems that the marketing campaign may have been a little targetted. Sky One was practically running on ads in the UK and Ireland for the weeks leading up to the release of the game. Though that may say more for what Sky charge and are capable of doing to get the game out there then about the ad campaign in general

Not surprised actually. I didn't really like the look of the game. Plus at time of release so many other games in same genre came out. Like Bayonetta.

I saw dozens of TV commercials for it. There was a huge display for it at the local Gamestop. There were banner ads on several of the webcomics I frequent. Guess it must've been localized to the U.S.

On the other hand, I didn't see a single Bayonetta ad until after the game was released. Very odd.

I live in the US and I only heard small glimpses here and there when previews would pop up on various sites. It really didn't seemed to be pushed hard at all.

That said, this is one the best games I've played in a long time and would have been a top contender for my favorite game of 2009 if it had been released a couple weeks earlier.

Unoriginal gameplay mechanics aside, what they "borrowed" is executed well and in the end I had a ton of fun with the game. I can't remember the last game I played 6 hours straight and still wanted to keep playing.

This seems to be a very dividing game though. It just bugs me when people knock it without even playing the damn thing like they have some sort of horrible bias.

I saw quite a few commercials for this game, and I went and bought it. Although it was a short game I feel it was worth the 60 dollars I shelled out. I didnt think it was a complete God of War clone and the story was pretty solid. This guy sounds like a total douche to me.

Johnny Danger:
I live in the US and I only heard small glimpses here and there when previews would pop up on various sites. It really didn't seemed to be pushed hard at all.

That said, this is one the best games I've played in a long time and would have been a top contender for my favorite game of 2009 if it had been released a couple weeks earlier.

Unoriginal gameplay mechanics aside, what they "borrowed" is executed well and in the end I had a ton of fun with the game. I can't remember the last game I played 6 hours straight and still wanted to keep playing.

This seems to be a very dividing game though. It just bugs me when people knock it without even playing the damn thing like they have some sort of horrible bias.

I agree completely with you Johnny, this is one of the few games I actually felt like playing over on the hardest difficulty. Also trying to get every extra thing in it done. Hell even after that I still went around and slaughtered demons for fun.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here