Analyst Says Darksiders Was A Disappointment for THQ

Pages PREV 1 2

Hehe hehe the topics first word starts with anal hehe hehe.

Beavis and Butthead aside, i thought it was a sure investment seeing as it's supposedly a GoW/zelda hybrid with WoW graphics-style. I thought games like that, who just copied popular games we're made cause they we're bound for succes.

CD-R:

Sparrow:
I didn't see any advertisements for this thing, whatsoever. Not even a web banner. Yet, even though it sold well, this guy thinks THQ will be disappointed regardless?

Really?

There were TV ads on all the time for it.

I didn't see a single TV advert or indeed any adverts at all for this game. Not a great loss, apparently.

Even though this subject has been beaten to death, I was pretty interested after I heard it got great reviews. I saw the box art however and went "right.....Todd McFarlene is on performance enhancers" It just looked generic and a bit silly, I could not get past the feel of the box art.
When I actually read the review which gave it 10/10 I was really put off by the fact it was copying other games that are renowned for being unoriginal. It just felt like I'd seen it a million times and probably like a lot of people I was looking at my bank account and the release list thinking "Hmmm, AVP, Bioshock 2 Mass Effect 2....nah, I might get it when it goes down" I'd never judge a game by it's cover or theme but there are too many Gothic brawlfests out I'm not bothered trying to pick one.

Having watched games rise and fall over the years I have this to day to developers: if you want to maximize the profits and popularity of your game, then avoid religious themes, and when you do include them, keep it general, and keep it positive.

The only thing I heard about this before its release was a quick comment from a friend. I didn't see one advert for it until after it had been released. They have only themselves to blame...

I might pick it up when it comes down in price a bit further.

THQ will be fine. Trust me. Dawn of War has an expansion coming up, expansions are usually pretty good money. Plus I expect good things from Metro 2033. If you haven't taken a look at that game yet, give it a look.

I saw these advertisements every so often
It may just be me but i care more about things that are going to be EPIC
case and point Mass Effect 2
Similar release time THQ epic phlail

RE: Advertising, at least in the UK.

Sky ONe was running those ads for at least two hours a day and...

VGCATZ:
It seems that the marketing campaign may have been a little targetted. Sky One was practically running on ads in the UK and Ireland for the weeks leading up to the release of the game. Though that may say more for what Sky charge and are capable of doing to get the game out there then about the ad campaign in general

Damnable ninjas!

Anyway, those ads are still going.

Duraji:
Doesn't come as a surprise to me. The game looks laughably awkward at best, and terribly lame at second best. Seriously, a God of War clone with the most vapid sort of character you can imagine?

I honestly don't care if Metacritic has an 83 for it, there's nothing about that game that looks worth $60 to me. I think reviewers need to stop handing out 7s and 8s to every single game just because it would hurt some developer's feelings if they got a more harsh and realistic score, but that's just me.

Seriously? Did you just say this? You haven't even played it and you're saying that reviewers rated it too highly? Did you actually think about this?

Rusty Bucket:

Duraji:
Doesn't come as a surprise to me. The game looks laughably awkward at best, and terribly lame at second best. Seriously, a God of War clone with the most vapid sort of character you can imagine?

I honestly don't care if Metacritic has an 83 for it, there's nothing about that game that looks worth $60 to me. I think reviewers need to stop handing out 7s and 8s to every single game just because it would hurt some developer's feelings if they got a more harsh and realistic score, but that's just me.

Seriously? Did you just say this? You haven't even played it and you're saying that reviewers rated it too highly? Did you actually think about this?

Well, he read somewhere online that it's a God of War clone, that's enough right? right?

Maybe companies shouldn't release bad games if they want to see sales.

Sparrow:

Well, if there were, I'm guessing I missed them. Can't have been many.

No my point was the BBC doesn't run ads - that's why we pay a TV license.
The more you know...

Sooo, this analyst can suck it, Darksiders sequel announced:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/106/1066369p1.html

Well if your main character didn't look like some hybrid of a Space Marine, Gandalf, and Raiden, you might have sold more!

Also, there was no advertising for it, so very few people knew it even existed in the first place.

I think were missing the important part.

Darksiders was a disappointment for pimppeter2

ma55ter_fett:

sln333:
Man, it got discounted 2 weeks after release. How well did they think it would do? It's one of the weaker titles out so far this year. Yahtzee's countless agonizing descriptions of the main character's look are enough to show the game can't be that great.

I would trust Yahtzee to give a good objective review about as much as I trust myself to perform open heart surgery with a whip saw and a pickaxe.

I'll form my own thoughts on the game once I rent it and power play it in a day.

I understand that we shouldn't take his reviews for granted, but you can't say that this is good character design: image

sln333:

ma55ter_fett:

sln333:
Man, it got discounted 2 weeks after release. How well did they think it would do? It's one of the weaker titles out so far this year. Yahtzee's countless agonizing descriptions of the main character's look are enough to show the game can't be that great.

I would trust Yahtzee to give a good objective review about as much as I trust myself to perform open heart surgery with a whip saw and a pickaxe.

I'll form my own thoughts on the game once I rent it and power play it in a day.

I understand that we shouldn't take his reviews for granted, but you can't say that this is good character design: image

Looks cool enough to me, I wouldn't pick a fight with him at least.

Greenwald is an idiot. Darksiders has sold over 1 million units worldwide, moving more units than its initial release date competitor, Bayonetta.

That's what they get for hiring one of the worst artists in the comic industry.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here