Forget Dante's Inferno 2, Visceral Wants Macbeth

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Forget Dante's Inferno 2, Visceral Wants Macbeth

There are no plans for a sequel to Dante's Inferno, according to Visceral Games Executive Producer Jonathan Knight, who said that what he'd really like to do next is a game based on an altogether different literary classic: Macbeth.

It's a little hard to believe, but Knight says that at this point in the process - and with Dante's Inferno scheduled for release next week, the process is pretty far along - Visceral has not yet committed to making a sequel to the long-awaited action game. "I've read the entire divine comedy and I've given it some thought, but there are no plans," Knight said in an interview with IndustryGamers. "We are working on expansions to Dante's Inferno that will be coming out soon, like a prequel campaign that shows the dark forest and unveil."

Dante's Inferno has been given a huge amount of pre-release hype that will culminate in an ad that will play during Super Bowl XLIV and if all goes according to plan, the game will be one of EA's biggest of the year. In an industry that's built around "sequelization" and long-term franchises, a follow-up to a game like that is all but mandatory, so Knight's suggestion that it might not happen has a bit of a dubious ring to it, to say the least.

So once Dante's Inferno and its various expansions are wrapped up, what would he like to do next? "Macbeth: The Game is something I've been thinking about for years, but now, I think the emotional quality that games are achieving and the value level of the acting and the sound work makes it possible," he said. "The thing is, the unique quality of games is being interactive; it's about action and killing things and pursuing those mechanics is tricky when bringing in classic media. Dante's is more of a violent interpretation of the poem for example. Macbeth would be great, though; there are witches and a supernatural experience along with plenty of intrigue and murder."

A Macbeth videogame? You'd better believe I'd sign up for that.

Macbeth? Game? Well, ill certainly give em credit they know how to go with the classics!

I dont know how that would play out...but, it could certainly be possible

Macbeth? Game? No. I can't even imagine it. ~_~ Please, Visceral, don't ruin Macbeth like you did Dante's Inferno.

... Please?

Jaredin:
Macbeth? Game? Well, ill certainly give em credit they know how to go with the classics!

I dont know how that would play out...but, it could certainly be possible

Wow. Weird how we both started our posts the same way. o_O

I'd actually play that.

"New Quest!: Get The Blood Off Your Hands"

Is nothing safe? But at least Macbeth was gory and fun to read so if they stick to the book a bit more then dante's inferno it's all right

Ok, after spending weeks doing coursework on Macbeth, if they did make this game, I would burn it.

Sir Patrick Stewart would be obligatory in the lead...mega-violence and Sir Patrick, no better combination.

Great. Now I guess we'll have to start calling it "the Scottish GAME."
"Press X to Soliloquize"

I was against dante's inferno on principle until i thought about the thousands that will pick up the book because of the game, and the hundreds that will continue reading. I say to Visceral go big or go home, do time machine, moby dick, journey to the center of the earth, war of the worlds... ect. Keep going, but only if dante is a fun game to play.

I'll buy it if the final boss is a giant robot/angel Macduff.

No, no, no! They'll ruin everything! Know this: I had no problem with them trying to make an adaption of Dante's Inferno, because honestly, that book was amazing, and it's a good concept to try and make a game out of. But Macbeth? Frakking Macbeth?

I mean, that's the sacred cow to end all sacred cows. Doesn't matter if you think it was good or not, 'cos everyone's heard of it. There's just no way that kind of thing would work, either.

The Dante's Inferno thing has a shot because all fantasy/sci-fi works would lend themselves well to a videogame, for the most part. But a Macbeth game would feel out of place. And I don't think the main gamer demographic would go for it. I'd love it if something like that could succeed, but I don't think this will.

I can't see it. MacBeth may be a murderer, but he's only a tool for Lady MacBeth. That's how I always say it, anyway; Lady MacB is that terrible side of the fairer sex tat stems from all the Greek Tragedies and ideas of the time.

But enough of my pretentiousness (which is probably spelt wrong, but meh). As I said, it's not even got a particularly good basis for a game in my eyes; at least Inferno had the setting of Hell. MacBeth has a castle, a forest and maybe a battlefield. I just don't see it.

Wouldn't it just be killing your friends and those you are loyal to?

I will be avoiding this game for two reasons: it's probably cursed and Macbeth or any Shakepearean play would not do well as a video game.

Tears of Blood:
Macbeth? Game? No. I can't even imagine it. ~_~ Please, Visceral, don't ruin Macbeth like you did Dante's Inferno.

... Please?

Don't you think to truly ruin literature by making a game out of it you should at least try to stick to the story, only to fail miserably, thus ruining the literature? It seems to me Dante's Inferno isn't even trying. Visceral just took the outlining of The Inferno and turned a poet into some blood crazy warrior wreaking havoc throughout the nine circles of hell. It's my opinion they didn't ruin the literature by doing this, mainly using it to create a sensational game. Whether you agree with Visceral on doing so is entirely up to you. It sure won't ruin my reading experience once I receive my copy of The Inferno later this week.

Anonymous Overlord:
I was against dante's inferno on principle until i thought about the thousands that will pick up the book because of the game, and the hundreds that will continue reading.

And I'm one of them :)

As for a Macbeth game, I'm all for it. Providing they get great voice actors of course. I wouldn't sit through a bad performance of the play, let alone finish an entire game with terrible voice acting.
...Though I probably have a very different image of what this game would look like than the people from Visceral, but we'll see.

This could actually be a good way to bring great literary works to people who would normally not give them a second glance.

It's about time someone realised that taking books that have merit already would be a good way to get a good story for your game.

Then again, I would bet a Shakespeare game would be let down on lack of atmosphere.

Anonymous Overlord:
I say to Visceral go big or go home, do time machine, moby dick, journey to the center of the earth, war of the worlds... ect. Keep going, but only if dante is a fun game to play.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/1/15/

"The thing is, the unique quality of games is being interactive; it's about action and killing things [...]"

Yes, this person knows what gaming is all about. Killing things. Fuck solving riddles, competing with others or even telling a story - it's killing things. After all, this is what "interaction" means.

Good lord, judging from Dante's Inferno, I knew they didn't know how to design a game, but now this guy is practically admitting he doesn't even know what game design means.
It's a shame Dante's Inferno is fun, because I'm not going to buy it. Oh well, I'll get it used.

Let me get somthing out of the way: Macbeth is my favorite Shakespeare play of all time.
I would buy a game based on it in a heartbeat.
The main trouble I see is how the hell would it work? There's not a lot of ACTION in Macbeth.
Unless it's Macbeth IN Dante's Inferno after he dies. That would be awesome.
Multiplayer includes Lady Macbeth split screen!

Well, MacBeth certainly does seem like a good idea in theory, It's got blood, violence, death, more blood, but when put to practice, who knows? But I know one thing. A game based on A Midsummer's Night Dream would be a very, very bad game.

zombie711:
Is nothing safe? But at least Macbeth was gory and fun to read so if they stick to the book a bit more then dante's inferno it's all right

Nothing new, really. Edith Nesbit took the stories of shakespeare and rewrote them for children over 100 years ago. Macbeth has been modernized many times. One of them, Sleep No More, was reworked into a Hitchcockian thriller, with music cues and everything. A kruosawa movie, Throne of Blood, is Macbeth but in feudal Japan.

Let's not forget that Gargoyles took this entire storyline, reworked it and used it as one of their main anti heroes.

Video game developers are now adapting classics and it becomes the end of the world? I will not get some people. Movie and film adaptations okay. Video game adaptations not so much.

I do not care if they modernize Macbeth into an ultraviolent video game because nothing is really sacred. Nor should it be. If we do not take our classics off the shelf and use them every so often, they might become forgotten.

Then again, Edgar Allen Poe might be a better fit for a ultraviolent video game. He focused on the dark side of humanity for a long time.

First Dante, now Shakespeare? Is nothing sacred? Eh, seeing what they did to Dante's Inferno I doubt they have any notion of 'sacred'.

I can't believe he actually used the word "interpretation" to describe what they have done to Dante's poem. Adaptation, I could stomach. But seriously, no. Interpretation refers to what you think the poem is about, and I don't care how much postmodernism you subscribe to; if you think that Inferno is about murdering demons then you are provably and laughably wrong. The allegorical function of Dante's journey through hell is to present his audience with a series of morals to abide by in life, by depicting how sinners are punished via poetic justice. For example, the greedy are punished by being forced to spar against one another using giant weights they push with their chest. If you can't see the symbolism in that, you need help. The idea of Dante going through hell and killing everything he meets throws all concepts of poetic justice out the window; as there is nothing symbolic about killing the damned with a scythe - that's just cliche. What this game represents is how the very concept of Hell has been re-appropriated in modern culture by games like Diablo; where rather than a place created by God to punish sinners, Hell is Satan's personal funhouse and where he trains his armies.

Given that he doesn't even seem to understand the meaning of interpretation, I don't think Jonathan Knight should be allowed anywhere near Macbeth. I'm not at all against the idea of literary classics being adapted into games; but he seems to think that the only way to make a game is to slap lots of violence and titties onto it.

This is to be followed by an adaptation of "The Pen, The Pit, and The Pendulum", wherein the player takes on the role of an elite psy-ops soldier in the Spanish Inquisition, and "Notes From The Underground", wherein players must press X rapidly to talk themselves through the stages of existential self-loathing. Also there's, I don't know, a helicopter fight. Because why not.

Allornone:

Anonymous Overlord:
I say to Visceral go big or go home, do time machine, moby dick, journey to the center of the earth, war of the worlds... ect. Keep going, but only if dante is a fun game to play.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/1/15/

http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/103967
Curse you penny arcade.... pretty awesome image though.

Since interpretation seems to mean excuse to make a God of War clone, my expectations of a Visceral Macbeth game to share anything with the play except the title & maybe being set in Scotland are very low.

Also, while hypothesizing, I have little doubt that despite their "best efforts" the three witches will still have hot racks & nice asses, & quite possibly all look like Bayonetta except in Tartan.

teknoarcanist:
This is to be followed by an adaptation of "The Pen, The Pit, and The Pendulum", wherein the player takes on the role of an elite psy-ops soldier in the Spanish Inquisition, and "Notes From The Underground", wherein players must press X rapidly to talk themselves through the stages of existential self-loathing. Also there's, I don't know, a helicopter fight. Because why not.

You are actually my hero. I take it you watched the leaked Heavy Rain scene?

It sounds awesome because I love Macbeth, but I think you'd have a difficult time spinning anything Shakespeare into a video game without some massive "interpretations". x3 It'd be amusing!

So I imagine in a few months Visceral will be releasing "The Scottish Game"?

Visceral: Breaking down the barriers between High and Popular Culture since 2009

Hey! I'm reading that play now! and if I can learn about it in videogame form all the better!

Well, I suppose it was inevitable. While I'm perfectly okay with (if not particularly optimistc about) an Inferno game, I can't for the life of me imagine how a Macbeth would work. I mean, what would it be? Nosing around a castle with a scowl on your face, murdering the odd chump, and hallucinating? At least Dante went to Hell...but this idea is beyond me.

And because nobody's had the wit to spew this one yet:

"Out! Out, damn Knight!"

Okay. If know one has made the joke yet allow me.

Macbeth Video game sounds like a horrible idea. It's a cursed play. Every xbox it is put in will red ring! Every Ps3 will turn into an Xbox then Red Ring!

ShredHead:
Ok, after spending weeks doing coursework on Macbeth, if they did make this game, I would burn it.

I read it last year. it almost sucks as a writing to movie piece, let alone a play to a game!

Stupid. It could work in the macbeth UNIVERSE, but it would definitely have to ignore everything about the actual story.

God of War+Kilts=Awesome?

Classic Literature/Theatre+Stupidity=Not awesome.

Man, there's a point in which something gets so stupid it wraps around and becomes awesome, and Dante's Inferno is already edging pretty close to that line. I'll buy any brawler they release turning classics of literature into bloodfests. Show me Don Quijote stomping giants into a pool of blood, a retelling of The Murders of Rue Morgue in which you are the gorilla, and an insane axe maniac's rampage in CRIME AND PUNISHMENT II: PUNISH HARDER. Hooray for public domain!

...Better than trying to adapt the Paradise section into the game. So there's a chorus of singing angels being happy... and you murder them. Hm.

...That thing with Don Quijote looks cool, though. An action game showing the things he imagines are happening. I'd buy that.

Sparrow:
"New Quest!: Get The Blood Off Your Hands"

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook