THQ Establishes Darksiders as a Strong Franchise

THQ Establishes Darksiders as a Strong Franchise

An analyst recently took Darksiders to task as a probable disappointment for THQ, but THQ seems to think otherwise.

THQ's latest earnings report indicated a positive outlook and an improvement over the developer/publisher's previous year. According to THQ President and CEO Brian Farrell, THQ made a "significant turnaround ... in just one year" due to a new focused, lower-cost strategy bolstered by titles such as UFC: Undisputed, The Biggest Loser (it sold well, apparently), and even Darksiders.

Despite one analyst's view, THQ's report says Darksiders has been a strong performer and added it to a list of titles it could revisit in the future. Along with Darksiders, THQ's list of established franchises includes UFC, WWE (due to a recently settled lawsuit), Saint's Row, de Blob, Drawn to Life, Red Faction, and MX vs ATV. This does not mean that sequels are imminent, just that THQ is not depositing these franchises in the crapper.

Nevertheless, don't go thinking Darksiders is the year's top blockbuster yet. THQ used language that indicated the game either has been or will be profitable, but not quite CoD: MewTwo profitable. THQ's exact words were that Darksiders "delivered strong commercial sales, with shipments of approximately 1.2 million units in its first four weeks." Holy hell, 1.2 million units sold? Oh... that says "shipped." When a company says copies were "shipped," that normally doesn't mean the same thing as "sold," but retailers at least anticipate selling that many copies over the long run. Someone get Best Buy on the phone and find out for sure.

(Via: Joystiq)

It doesn't surprise me another company is trying desperately to pretend they are still cool, even as their sales go down the tubes.

I'm actually happy Darksiders is getting a sequel. It was a great game no matter how much people say it's a god of war clone. I look forward to seeing what's in store for War.

Excellent. I loved Darksiders, and I want at least one sequel - I want to see the other horsemen in action!

Here's to hoping THQ really get their feet on solid ground again, Darksiders is not their only franchise I want to see more games of (I'm looking at you, Dawn of War 2!).

Good on them to come out and let everyone know they aren't about to go bankrupt anytime soon in response to that retarded analyst. Here's hoping THQ releases a good game I can actually play sometime soon.

Eh, it was OK... I guess it could get a sequel. Not before Saints Row however, I want me a Saints Row 3.

Whoa... I just now realized that THQ makes a lot of manly man, macho games. And I almost feel ashamed to admit that I like and own every one of their Warhammer 40,000 games.

But goddamn: WWE, Saints Row, Darksiders, etc? These were meant to be "bro" games. I guess this is what happens when you base your demographic around frat boys. Either that, or they do surveys in colleges to see what they'd like to see in a game, and I'm pretty sure it sounded something like:

"Duuuuuuude, he's gotta have, like a giant fist maaan. Oh! And a big sword and gun! And he blows shit up and fucks a lot of pussy! PUSSY, MAN!"

I know that's not how most people are in college, but I had to slam on the few that really are this fucking stupid.

Well a crap dev. having a just-below-terrible game can be considered a "Strong Franchise" by the crap dev. so who knows.

(But Saints Row was a damn exceptional game, so THQ isn't SO bad.)

it looked to me like a dumb game. it could have been really neat if the dev hadnt bungled it

Saints Row 3 has to be in the pipeworks; the second one did alright.

God I hope not, I regret buying this piece of crap, maybe if they'd correctly identified it as a puzzle game not an action game I wouldn't have wasted my damn money.

Here's hoping Saints Row 3 comes out soon, I need my cockney sociopath back!

Sonicron:
Excellent. I loved Darksiders, and I want at least one sequel - I want to see the other horsemen in action!

Here's to hoping THQ really get their feet on solid ground again, Darksiders is not their only franchise I want to see more games of (I'm looking at you, Dawn of War 2!).

dow2 chaos rising comes out at the end of march and it looks bad ass

Scrythe:

"Duuuuuuude, he's gotta have, like a giant fist maaan. Oh! And a big sword and gun! And he blows shit up and fucks a lot of pussy! PUSSY, MAN!"

I laughed at that!

Fun game, I have enjoyed every bit of it so far. Heres to a sequel!

A Darksiders sequel and series is very appetizing for me :D

Good for THQ, I don't give a crap.

Darksiders was an incredibly "meh, its alright" game from what I can tell, so I'm not really that interested in the game... meaning that I'll like be uninterested in any sequels as well.

After the badass "No... NOT ALONE." ending, this pleases me. More exploration and more horse riding please!

Lord_Ascendant:
It doesn't surprise me another company is trying desperately to pretend they are still cool, even as their sales go down the tubes.

Yeah, really nothing more than a PR stunt, to try lift there image

Worgen:

Sonicron:

dow2 chaos rising comes out at the end of march and it looks bad ass

I'm already counting the days.
You know, if there's one aspect of DoW2 that I wish was like the first game (regarding expansion packs), it'd be a playable campaign for all the featured factions, like in Dark Crusade. Chaos Rising will probably have another well-written storyline to rampage through, but I'd sure love to play a Chaos campaign as well...
Still, I'm definitely getting this. :)

Darksiders has sold almost 750'000 copies in just 3 weeks (according to VG Chartz) which is selling faster than Dead Space did, a game that went on to do well enough to earn a sequel.

Jeez, people are acting as if you don't earn a couple billion in the first month then it is a failure.

Each sale earns the publisher about $20-25 which means so far they have already earned $15'000'00 to $18'750'000 from this game alone and sales are still going strong.

That game better do something ORIGINAL in the sequel. There really wasn't anything original about Darksiders except for the art style. Not a single thing.

Sequels will be a little difficult won't they?

Death could be tweaked I guess, or just turn it into a "horde em up" with his natural overbalance countered by outnumbering.

Famine and Pestilence may be a bit more difficult.

Although to be fair, puzzle solving isn't really an accurate personification of War so I guess no one actually cares if the Horsemen are doing their purpose.

tkioz:
God I hope not, I regret buying this piece of crap, maybe if they'd correctly identified it as a puzzle game not an action game I wouldn't have wasted my damn money.

Achtung! You mean zose shwines did not stick vithin ZEE PRECISE DEFINITIONS of a genre!!

Auurrghh, innovation and integration are the enemies of the homeland!

Treblaine:

tkioz:

Achtung! You mean zose shwines did not stick vithin ZEE PRECISE DEFINITIONS of a genre!!

Godwin's Law, your statement is thus invalid. Innovation is one thing, but misleading your consumers is another. Not to mention using the word 'innovative' to describe Darksiders is about the silliest thing I can imagine someone saying about the game. It's not BAD, but it's about as innovative as sliced bread.

AcacianLeaves:

Treblaine:

tkioz:

Godwin's Law, your statement is thus invalid. Innovation is one thing, but misleading your consumers is another. Not to mention using the word 'innovative' to describe Darksiders is about the silliest thing I can imagine someone saying about the game. It's not BAD, but it's about as innovative as sliced bread.

Vat are you talking about? Zis is ze vay I always talk, yah. Are you merely associating all German accents vith zee Nazis, ich don't think so. Now it iz you who are breaking law of zee Godwin's.

I make nict mention of Hitler, nict die Nazis unt nict die Third Reich. Zee homeland is unt reference to George Bush's Amerika unt zeir Homeland Security... noshing fascistic about zat... or arh you saying Bush ist die Nazis... hello, paging Professor Godwin!

Listen up now dummkompf, did the box say "Zere are nein puzzles in zis game and vill be 100% clone of God uv Var" and ver did you ever get zee ideah zere vould be nein puzzles of any sort in ze game. Die trailers, die previews, die reviews, die hard; puzzles every-vere! Did you just look at the cover art and say "Dast vast unt vudobar dumm video gamen mit mein gute zeiten!!"... or vords to zat effect.

Enough vith you Schweinehunde... I'm going to da choppah.

:D :D :D :D

The game was Zelda with guns, making it instantly better than any Zelda rehash in the last decade, lets see where it can go from here.

I'm so tired of hearing people whine about how it wasn't "innovative". Darksiders was a damn fine game, that is enough for me, and I would welcome a sequel.

Spirultima:
Well a crap dev. having a just-below-terrible game can be considered a "Strong Franchise" by the crap dev. so who knows.

(But Saints Row was a damn exceptional game, so THQ isn't SO bad.)

I'm sorry THQ is the publisher of darksiders while Vigil games did the developing of it.

THQ also publishes Saints Row,Sonic Advance, 50 Cent:Blood in the Sand and many more games.

Darksiders needs a serious branding makeover.

From what I understand the gameplay is servicable, but the title tells you exactly squat about the game.

Take "God of War", the name conjures up images of Greco-Roman times when you had Gods of War. You know there's going to be fighting and it's going to be with swords or similar weapons that can inflict grevious bodily harm at close range.

Bayonetta at least has the virture of being the character's actual name, which tells you the story is about someone named Bayonetta. The name itself is a femenization of the word Bayonet, a large knife which is stuck to the end of a gun or rifle. So you know there's going to be gunplay and knife/swordplay.

Darksiders... What does this tell you? It's a game where there people who are on a "Dark"-side. Are they the heroes, the villains, who are you talking about? Why exactly should we care about what the game is about when the title is so generic?

Part of the rub might be all of the Judeo-Christian Mythology and trying to avoid alienating anyone who might believe in it, or that all of the really good biblical sounding names in relation of the four horsemen and revleations have already been taken up by Holywood movies.

Now they want to make it a franchise, either they'll follow the story of War or they'll focus on the other Horsemen. Either way calling the next several games Darksiders II through IV isn't going to cut it.

AcacianLeaves:

Treblaine:

tkioz:

the only ones who called it a god of war clone are idiots who are uncreative and havent played many other games besides god of war, the only thing it has in common with god of war is executions, maybe you should have looked up the game before you bought it.

Worgen:

the only ones who called it a god of war clone are idiots who are uncreative and havent played many other games besides god of war, the only thing it has in common with god of war is executions, maybe you should have looked up the game before you bought it.

Treblaine:

Listen up now dummkompf, did the box say "Zere are nein puzzles in zis game and vill be 100% clone of God uv Var"

I didn't mention God of War at all in my comment. I said it wasn't innovative. It billed itself as a God of War clone in most of the adverts and media that I saw, but it was actually a blatant clone of Zelda (among others). There isn't a single original idea in Darksiders except for the awful artistic style, and even that derives most of its look from WoW.

Treblaine, you get an A for effort on that post :D

AcacianLeaves:

Worgen:

Treblaine:

Listen up now dummkompf, did the box say "Zere are nein puzzles in zis game and vill be 100% clone of God uv Var"

I didn't mention God of War at all in my comment. I said it wasn't innovative. It billed itself as a God of War clone in most of the adverts and media that I saw, but it was actually a blatant clone of Zelda (among others). There isn't a single original idea in Darksiders except for the awful artistic style, and even that derives most of its look from WoW.

you seem to put alot of effort into random bitching, have you thought about therapy?

Worgen:

AcacianLeaves:

Worgen:

Treblaine:

you seem to put alot of effort into random bitching, have you thought about therapy?

Is this your response to all opinions that are contrary to your own? They're just "random bitching"? I'm not even sure how to respond to something that silly.

AcacianLeaves:

Worgen:

AcacianLeaves:

Worgen:

Treblaine:

Is this your response to all opinions that are contrary to your own? They're just "random bitching"? I'm not even sure how to respond to something that silly.

that is because I am an ego maniac and you fail to realise that almost all games are stolen from others, god of war is just a clone of final fight and mortal combat

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.