Survey: 80% of US Teens Own a Console

Survey: 80% of US Teens Own a Console

If you're American and between the ages of 12 and 17, there's an 80% chance you own - or have home access to - a videogame console, according to a recent survey.

Sure, we've known that millions and millions of Americans play games with at least some regularity for quite some time now, but the widespread extent to which gaming has become so mainstream is still kind of staggering, when you think about it.

A new Pew Research Center survey finds that 80 percent of American youth between the ages of 12 and 17 own a videogame console, or otherwise have access to one in their home. Unsurprisingly, boys are more likely to have a console than girls, with a whopping 89% of male respondents saying they had one o' them newfangled videogame things, but girls weren't far behind with a 70% rate of their own.

More than half of that 80% also owns a handheld device, according to Pew's numbers. The DS and PSP were predominantly popular with younger gamers - 66% of children aged 12 and 13 have a handheld, compared to 44% of those between 14 to 17. When broken down along gender lines, handheld ownership was 56% boys, 47% girls.

So the odds are, if you're a parent and you don't game, you probably don't understand your teenagers. Not that parents needed more evidence to know that, anyway.

(Kotaku, via Edge)

Considering "cell phone" is now a gaming platform this doesn't surprise me.

good to see more proof that gaming is becoming a more accepted media.

This is why I still can't fathom why a lot of users on here talk about how they are geeks/nerds for gaming. Or how they get abuse for being a gamer.

Pretty much every single guy I know has or once had a game console, be it a Nintendo 64, GameBoy, PS1/Ps2/Ps3 or an Xbox/360.

Haha, we'll rule the world! Soon it's time to raise our flag and... um... Build Midgar! *evil laughter*

It's true. Gaming is no longer something the minority do.

Fuck you, Wii. Fuck you.

EDIT: Is it just me, or does that kid look like a young Ewan MacGregor?

This isn't news, but I'm sure the majority of them just like to play online FPSs.

CuddlyCombine:

Fuck you, Wii. Fuck you.

...what? This makes no sense.

Gaming not being a minority activity = good

Wii helping to enable this = good

Wii = bad...???

John Funk:
ownership was 56% boys, 47%.

Shouldn't that say girls Funk?

CuddlyCombine:

Fuck you, Wii. Fuck you.

EDIT: Is it just me, or does that kid look like a young Ewan MacGregor?

Just you. Looks nothing like Ewan MacGregor to me.

Fredrick2003:

This exactly.

Now I'd like to know the age group of people who are on 360... may explain some things XD

I kid, I kid ;)

More like '80% of US teens own a Wii'

Meh, as long as we dont become marketable... wait.
Well, at least we aren't still being made fun of... no, wait.
Um, At least people aren't crazy enough to believe that gaming causes murder... oh.

i don't really see how this is news, because nothing has changed that much. sure, gaming is becoming more mainstream, but is that a good thing? personally, i think its both good and bad, as people who wear, oh, i dont know, T-shirts with the Mario mushrooms can now be conidered cool, and not total dweebs. On the other hand, they only know about mario from playing a bastardized version with quick-time events amd easy-mode gameplay, which i guess isnt that bad so much as it doesn't pour into games that aren't for casual gamers. why companies havent realized this before is beyond me.

This is actually great news.

See, now, whenever someone claims that a kid committed a crime, we just compare that kid to the millions of other kids who haven't committed a crime.

And now, video games have a stronger defense!

John Funk:

CuddlyCombine:

Fuck you, Wii. Fuck you.

Wii = bad...???

Of course! Don't you know anything about science!?

That was a funny reference, in case someone didn't get that. I'm not arguing with the mighty Funk.. please spare me

Machines:
This is why I still can't fathom why a lot of users on here talk about how they are geeks/nerds for gaming. Or how they get abuse for being a gamer.

Pretty much every single guy I know has or once had a game console, be it a Nintendo 64, GameBoy, PS1/Ps2/Ps3 or an Xbox/360.

That's because most of us had consoles like the NES or the c64 (not specifically a console, but it counts) before the masses started to get them.

Not sure if I buy this statistic without more information simply because the number of consoles sold would be much higher than it currently is if this was true. Unless of course Cell Phones *ARE* being considered in which case the estimate seems a bit low to be honest.

s69-5:

Machines:

That's because most of us had consoles like the NES or the c64 (not specifically a console, but it counts) before the masses started to get them.

This.

Even friends of mine with kids can't understand why still game.

Well, it's cos I don't have whiny, snot-covered mini-mes wandering around behind me begging for another toy and an ice cream sammich. Nor do I WANT them. -_-
*cuddles her Intellivison and Atari systems from days gone by*

But yeah, my generation (sadly, Gen X...) had the majority of kids NOT playing games, so it'd be those adults who would still call gamers nerds/geeks.
People younger than myself (early 30s) wouldn't necessarily give gamers a hard time because they either have a bunch of friends who game, or are gamers themselves.

Least that's my take on it all.

Replying to this thread again. Few things I want to say, I love opinions.

1) The Wii not bad, it is my secondary gaming device. I have been playing No More Heroes 2 all well, 20 hours of gameplay so far, and I may play some more just because its fun.

2) I wonder if this can be turned around. Since videogames seem to be blamed for every negative aspect of being young couldn't we say that the 20% of people who do not own a game platform are the "weird" ones?

3) Gaming is only slightly accepted. If you play the latest sports title or Call of Duty you are in a completely separate class than if you 100%'d the latest JRPG (on this topic, Lost Odyseey is hard as balls). I occasionally get shit because I play games with "bad graphics". Sorry, but I honestly classify the N64 near the top of the system pile.

The numbers would be drasticly different if the DS and PSP werent defined as consoles (which they arent).

Fredrick2003:

Taken that into account too I bet its higher as well.

I am sure if you take the real account into true consoles, I bet that might go down to at least 50%

77% of ALL Dutch people (including elderly and infants!!!) play videogames at least once a week.
*booyah!*

And real games btw, not iPhone junk.
I saw an old woman in hospital today, playing on a DS when waiting to give blood :P

Also, why are people saying DS and PSP are not proper gamesystems?
For example: you can play FF7 Crisis Core on PSP, and it's pretty much identical to FF7 on the PS1.
Or is PS1 now also not a console?

Bah - how many game on a PC, that's what I want to know!

Facebook games NOT included.

How come whenever there's a survey, ive never been asked?

i suspect: "We asked 5 US teens if they has consoles, and 4 of them answered 'Yes!', this obviously scales up perfectly to fit the entirity of america, and therefore the world."

hey, if i asked 5 men their gender, 100% of people in the UK are therefore male... that must mean women dont exist. :D
bah... i dont trust surveys.

Zissors:
The numbers would be drasticly different if the DS and PSP werent defined as consoles (which they arent).

It asked who had handhelds in addition to their home consoles.

John Funk:

Wii = bad...???

In my mind, gaming not being a minority activity = bad. Maybe I'm viewing the whole thing through a nostalgia filter, though.

Is it me, or does that kid look like he is drugged out of his fucking mind? Or he just looks like a serial killer. In that case don't let your guard down he will eat you through the screen.

But yep that is probably true. So yay US we are the biggest nerd country in the world! WOOO!

Not a big surprise to me. Lotsa people I know have games, kinda funny though just discussed this whole topic in school today 'bout kids and mainstream media devices...I don't get the whole you won't understand it if you don't do it, I guess it applies to a degree but this is what empathy is for. Anyway as technology advances we should embrace it, like we are now. I will say the whole cell phone thing with more gaming tv watching and internet usage is above talking is kinda sad...

Great. I'm a statistic now. Dang it.

The funny thing is I bet part of those statistics are people who own consoles but don't play them, I know all of my friends have some sort of video game console (usually along the lines of the N64 or the Wii) and never use it.

Funny the word Teen and US and video games.

OT: Good to know. But I live in NZ so it doesn't really affect me. I don't even have a relative teen in the U.S.

s69-5:

Machines:

I had a NES, then Sega Mega Drive. Most people I know had them too, not forgetting the Super Nintendo. I have never in real life came across anyone who thinks gaming is a nerdy activity except parents of my generation.

Yeah we have a similar percentage in Australia. Except its not teenagers its families. So if only Atkinson new that.

That picture is a bit unsettling.

Anyway, Hoo rah for Us I guess.

Only 80%? Really? I was pretty sure it was around 90%, at least. Seriously, pretty much everyone in their teen years I know has a console, and I live in Brazil, a much poorer country. I supposed at least half of the remaining 20% are staunch PC gamers?

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.