Rapper Takes on Super Mario Land's Oddities

Pages PREV 1 2

I'll admit. I LOLed.

Epictank of Wintown:

tsu-money:

Mstrswrd:
I'm just sad that Duane and Brando are no longer a team. Everyone remember the Epic Megaman 2 rap? Yeah, that was both of them. Now, that'll never happen again.

This is still awesome, though.

What happened to them? The Mega Man rap was their best work IMO.

They split up. Creative differences and the like.

Still. Duane and Brando are some pretty talented dudes.

Guess that means Earthbound won't ever be finished...

Haaaahahaha, I did not expect this article to be about Duane when I clicked on it. I, too, lament the loss of the Duane and BrandO team.

Edit:

Spekter068:

Flamingpenguin:
I dunno. I usually hate rap, but differences aside, I actually like this. Especially the ending(not the burp).

Rap's not all that bad- I think it's more creative than death metal, overall, though both of them have some extremely tired components. The only rap I like is Rage Against the Machine, which only sort of counts, and the stuff that's intended to be funny.

This.

I'm a black guy that grew up in upper middle class white suburbia. My favorite band is Alice in Chains. Most of the "rap" I listen to is either RatM, MSI or part of a song sampled by Saskrotch.

You have no idea what it's like to have everyone assume your favorite genre of music based on your skin color. Hell, there was this one time in high school when the student teacher that was assigned to our English class was in charge of the lesson for the day. He was trying to make a point about something, but I really don't remember what it was. What I do remember was him turning to me in the middle of it and asking me who my favorite rapper was. I just kinda sat there said, "Uh, I don't really listen to rap. If I had to name someone, it'd be mc chris, I guess," and he sat there for a second with this look on his face like that was not the answer he needed to get his point across. Ironically enough, I actually kinda felt sorry for him. I mean, he was a really nice guy and I know he didn't mean anything by it.

This is brilliant.

This game was actually my very first Mario game, back on my Gameboy that was about the size of two house bricks side by side...ah, memories!

As for the song itself, I think its really well done, kudos to Duane.

What's really bizarre is that there was already officially-licensed Super Mario Land hip hop in 1993. Go check out Super Mario Compact Disco. It's mostly atrocious, but it occasionally has its moments, and sometimes when it's bad it gets bad enough to be good, or at least funny.

Kinda funny.

I like Super Mario Land.. played it on the huuuge Gameboy.

Awesome rap!
I still remember getting -and winning- the game, aged 7 :P

EPIC VIDEO!

Seriously, he know's what he's saying, but his playing skills, sheesh, getting hit by Tatanga, hope that was just for the video...

Anyway, I hope he does some more, I lolled more than once;)

Haha, this is pretty awesome.

Also I gotta laugh at all the losers going "oh no not a rap song my favorite game is ruined forever!"

The song and game are amazing. That game was soo good thought but rather hard/weird. No saves or password and you could collect coins with the fireballs as well.

Although I despise most rap "music" (term used lightly there), this did go straight for the nostalgia centre of my mind. I used to play Mario Land so much on the 'ol GameBoy way back when, so the highlight for me was definitely the awesome ninja world BGM.

Hint to those with bleeding ears: If the "artist" (again, term used lightly there) is annoying you with his over-reliance on the word fuck, focus on the tunes for a tidal wave of nostalgia. Worked for me.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to listen to it again.

Mushroomfreak111:

Omikron009:
This song makes me want to shoot myself in the head.

YES! I'm not the only one that hated this!

no one is stopping either of you. it should have been done before the trolling was commenced.

that was fuckin awesome.

Jarrid:

Epictank of Wintown:

tsu-money:

Mstrswrd:
I'm just sad that Duane and Brando are no longer a team. Everyone remember the Epic Megaman 2 rap? Yeah, that was both of them. Now, that'll never happen again.

This is still awesome, though.

What happened to them? The Mega Man rap was their best work IMO.

They split up. Creative differences and the like.

Still. Duane and Brando are some pretty talented dudes.

Guess that means Earthbound won't ever be finished...

That's not true. They've actually finished and released the album they were working on together and have now gone their separate ways.

I like the Mega Man one so much more.

It was pretty good, although honestly I prefer brentalfloss's videos/songs.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here