Original Guitar Hero Publisher Shut Down

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Original Guitar Hero Publisher Shut Down

RedOctane, original publisher of the Guitar Hero franchise, has been shut down by Activision.

Remember back when Guitar Hero was a new idea? Well, if you do, you might remember that RedOctane was the original publisher of the game. Now, nearly four years after RedOctane's acquisition by Activision and the explosion of Guitar Hero games. the company has closed its door for good.

Not everyone at RedOctane is out of a job however, the people responsible for creating the peripherals - the company was the source of the original Guitar Hero controllers - have been absorbed in Activision itself, but the 30-40 remaining RedOctane staff members have been let go.

The announcement that Activision is to significantly cut its production of Guitar Hero SKUs is likely to have played a significant part in the closure of RedOctane, as well as staff cuts at Neversoft following the completion of Guitar Hero 6 in April.

We hope that everyone who lost their job finds their feet quickly.

Source: 1up

That's a shame, but it shows that the fickle nature of the music business seeps into everything it touches.

The first two GH games were the best, too.

Another story of another company getting swallowed up by a biggee company.

These are starting to get common.

This is why you don't crowd the market with 3 guitar hero games in 1 year.

Hope those who got laid off find jobs soon.

Irridium:
This is why you don't crowd the market with 3 guitar hero games in 1 year.

This, more or less. We're onto about 8 or 9 [insert instrument here] Hero games, and the series only started in 2005. Anyway, best of luck to the ones laid off, hope they can get a decent job and make some quality games.

This is a real shame. Perhaps this is a sign of why small companies SHOULDN'T accept acquisitions from bigger ones sometimes.

yeah, my Uncles Studio was closed down this month too. they were responsible for trying to clean up the crapshoot that was Guitar Hero Van Halen. they were a studio that got the left overs and failures of other studios and fixed it as best they can but got no love from the top dogs. he was one of 6 people the kept but he doesnt want to move to New York(where they are requesting him) so he is going to move down to work for Bliz.

Well you don't really need that many people to Ctrl+C Ctrl-V the guiar hero games.

Logan Westbrook:
as well as staff cuts at Neversoft following the completion of Guitar Hero 6 in April.

Whoa whoa whoa, the hell? Guitar Hero 6 already? I hardly even remember when Guitar Hero 5 came out, that was just, what, 3 or so months ago wasn't it?

Hope those guys find new jobs, sucks getting laid off anytime.

Sir Kemper:
Another story of another company getting swallowed up by a biggee company.

These are starting to get common.

yep. itll be happening more and more. until there are only behemoths like nintendo, activision and video game rape co. EA

Another reason to hate Activision

Big fish, small fish. Sucks big time.

Poor RedOctane. First their In The Groove is acquired by Konami(Years ago but that killed DDR) and now this. I hope they find jobs soon.

'Tis a sad day. Let's hope no other good companies go under.

yersimapestis:
. It'll be happening more and more. until there are only behemoths like nintendo, activision and video game rape co. EA

I think your behind the times (and rather oblivious given the article your commenting on), Activision are the "video games rape co" these days rather than EA. I mean Activision just shut down a publisher and are making large cuts to a studio due to their own (Activision's) mismanagement of the brand that studio had fostered.

I do wonder if brand fatigue will set in for COD, I think it's probably a good thing that Infinity ward have washed there hands of it and will hopefully miss the ensuing layoffs that come when people tire of seeing another COD every 6-12 months.

We need to kill all mayor publishers with fire before they gain enough xp form their absorption that they evolve into Skynet.

Quick! Use Charizard's Fire Blast! It's the only way!

That's Activision doing what we expect of them.

Maybe the laid off workers will get together and form a small studio to make the next generation of rhythm games! Quick, people, start making suggestions! How about a wii game where you mimic playing the instrument and the game matches the tempo of your motion! Oh wait...

maybe they can mosey on over to harmonix and help make the next rock band smash guitar hero for good.

Guitar Hero 6 already? They're really popping them out.

OT: It's always sad to see a innovative company go bye bye.

Jumplion:

Logan Westbrook:
as well as staff cuts at Neversoft following the completion of Guitar Hero 6 in April.

Whoa whoa whoa, the hell? Guitar Hero 6 already? I hardly even remember when Guitar Hero 5 came out, that was just, what, 3 or so months ago wasn't it?

Hope those guys find new jobs, sucks getting laid off anytime.

Guitar Hero 6? Old Hat, it's all about Guitar Hero 7 now.
Hell, by my predictions, we'll have a Guitar Hero Graham's number by the end of the decade, which will have a front cover larger than the universe.

shame about this...not like activisions exactly pressed for money atm...

but still this is happening all over the place...just makes it harder for people like me to get into the games industry with 0 experience when thousands of proffesionals are out there looking for jobs too...and tough financial times means less room to experiment with new recruits

ah well, ill have to see hwo it goes :S

TheGreenManalishi:
The first two GH games were the best, too.

Agreed, if you don't count the horrendous covers, especially that of Laid to Rest by Lamb of God...

This is a shame, but at least it means that the video game industry realizes that the Guitar Hero craze is finally over. I mean, I loved Guitar Hero when it first came out but now it's an old idea. It was a short fad, but it will be remembered.

Tis' a shame and best of luck to those laid off.

Man go figure the company that actually came up with the original idea is the one that gets screwed after all this. They made the best ones too. My favorites were 2 and 3 even though by 3 the idea was getting a bit stale it had my favorite selection of songs.

ProfessorLayton:
This is a shame, but at least it means that the video game industry realizes that the Guitar Hero craze is finally over. I mean, I loved Guitar Hero when it first came out but now it's an old idea. It was a short fad, but it will be remembered.

I doubt it. Guitar Hero is for Activision a license to print money, provided there are enough idiots within the population who have convenient amnesia to buy everything that is put out.

Tis a shame. At the time they created something awesome. I hope they will move on to so somethign equally epic

My sympathies to RedOctane. Guitar Hero was way better off in their hands.

Terramax:
This is a real shame. Perhaps this is a sign of why small companies SHOULDN'T accept acquisitions from bigger ones sometimes.

Or ever. I mean, is there really any "big company" in the world anymore that isn't guilty of something at least as bad as this? It's definitely a shorter list than the ones that are, at any rate.

Dear Red Octane (former) employees:

Harmonix. Just something to think about.

Now Activision can make even more profit! Yay!

And I imagine when everyone realises that the [word] Hero games are the same and stop buying them, Activision will just change the Hero part as well. Who wouldn't want to buy Guitar Very-Good-Player?

I'm getting deja vu.

Bullfrog anyone?

In other news: Activision continues to be the utter wanker of the gaming industry.

Hope those who got fired get new jobs soon.

Whats next? Activision closing down Treyarch?

Activision, the once brilliant developers for Atari now making a cash crop on music games.

Wonderful.

what sucks in all these cases is that they lay off the people who KNOW what they're doing.
i mean, this whole thing got out of hand AFTER activision bought the game, the ones actually made by these guys were the good ones.

you know activision has no idea what they're doing if they need the original team of technicians to tell them wtf the controller is so they can make more or fix them

It's a shame. At same time, though, I've been disenchanted with Guitar Hero games in general as of late. After Rock Band came out, GH just feels hollow and disembodied. I know it's because the developers of the original GH and GHII were axed and moved on to make Rock Band, a series which frankly has much more polish and finesse than the Guitar Hero series ever had. GH-GHII-RB-RBII represents a progression of quality to me, Guitar Hero III was passable, but GH:WT was just a way to stay in the game with RB. Activision really screwed the pooch with Band Hero. The tracklist is terrible, it's all watered down pop music with "potentially offensive" lyrics censored. I hope the Red Octane guys are able to get back on their feet, maybe get back into making DDR peripherals again.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here