Darksiders Mystery Code Awards Free Game

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Darksiders Mystery Code Awards Free Game

Purchasers of Darksiders didn't buy just one game, they unknowingly also got a second.

The initial run of Darksiders for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 included a card marked "DO NOT DISCARD." Owners were instructed to visit the Darksiders website for updates and to wait for the code's big unveiling. It took well over a month, but the nature of this quandary has finally been disclosed.

Those who purchased Darksiders and saved the mystery code have earned a free copy of Red Faction: Guerrilla. That's right, a completely free copy, so if you have a code visit the Darksiders blog and follow the instructions. The code is basically entered on the THQ store to negate the game's cost, though shipping fees are not covered in the offer.

Alongside the free copy of Red Faction: Guerrilla, THQ is awarding a digital "Hellbook" disc that features Darksiders art, videos, and other "awesome stuff." That awesome stuff is not likely to include a third free game, sorry. The offer is only available to U.S. customers and will expire on March 7, 2010. Red Faction: Guerrilla was originally released in June 2009 and is a very well-liked game, making this offer pretty damn amazing. It's like winning the videogame lottery.

I just bought it and am now waiting the required week or so.

Shamus is going to have some fuel from this one.

FUCK. YES.

Shame I already own RFG, sold my copy of Darksiders, code and all.

BTW, if anyone still wants RFG for cheap:

http://www.gamefly.com/store/game/xbox-360/Red-Faction-Guerrilla/130590/

Only in US, though, iirc.

Earthmonger:

Fuel in a good or bad way? Because to be honest this seems like a rather good way to prevent piracy.

Although I suppose you could just pirate Red Faction...

Aw. :( Why is all stuff like this US only?

>>US only

Note to self: boycott THQ

Woah, what now? That's crazy awesome.

*sigh* And geography screws me over again... -.-

Yeah my friend sent this to me a few days ago and I looked in the box and had a code and I was like "hot diggity I gots me a new game free of charge" but you know, less prospector.

I had just gotten Oblivion too. So now it can sit on my shelf being unplayed until I beat that trillion hour game.

At the risk of sounding cynical, I have to ask: did Guerrilla do that badly?

Callate:

Yes, which is a massive shame because it was a load of fun.

OT - Why is crap like this always America only? Seriously, it's crap like this which makes the rest of the world pissed off.

Sweet. I bought Darksiders and saved my code woot.

And now I'm upset that I didn't buy Darksiders. I'm going to get it preowned next Christmas, but that will be too late...

America... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Callate:

It must've. Real shame too. I'm enjoying that game, but I keep getting other stuff. Also, currently blazing through the recently aquiured Ratchet & Clank PS3 trilogy. Then Brutal Legend. Then Borderlands. Then Heavy Rain (when I get it). THEN I'll finally play Red Faction Guerrilla.

Eukaryote:
>>US only

Note to self: boycott THQ

Chipperz:

Callate:

Yes, which is a massive shame because it was a load of fun.

OT - Why is crap like this always America only? Seriously, it's crap like this which makes the rest of the world pissed off.

Distribution laws. THQ is American, therefore American laws.

Ridiculous taxes would come into place if they wanted to extend the same courtesy to the UK for example.

You still have to pay shipping, and if you want RF:G as a disc in addition to your digital download, you have to pay for that. Yeah... It's mostly free, but still, that's a no more than $15 for a copy of RF:G

Earthmonger:

I smell the fire already...

Did people outside America even get codes?

Despite the fact that it's a digital download I apparently still have to pay five bucks in shipping. What the hell?

Sure hope I didn't discard it. :[

Huh...so how exactly do I download this? I click the "download" button and All I get is a PDF of an advertisement I get neither the game nor the art they promise.

Cool idea. But why is it always U.S.A only? "All you Americans are bullies. That, is why the whole world, hates you."

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

Damnit.

Tom Goldman:
Red Faction: Guerrilla was originally released in June 2009 and is a very well-liked game...

Was it. I've only read bad things about it. But it's still a lovely gesture to all those who bit the bullet and bought Darksiders early.

US only.... seriously? this crap in the Internet age?

I just told my friend about this, he was most pleased since he still had his.

this is what companies should do to reward gamers for buying early, not punish thoes who dont with the weird early dlc stuff

Two problems:
1. My game didn't come with a code and
2. I traded in Darksiders to get Red Faction Guerilla

I was really expecting that code to just be something like an alternate costume or a small useless thing, but this is so cool.

I never bought Darksiders, though I thought about it. The shame would be that I bought Red Faction Guerilla when it came out, so I wouldn't get anything

for anyone who didn't buy Darksiders or threw out the code, here's what I did: go to your local Blockbuster or video game rental store (potentially even a Gamestop or what have you,) find a Darksiders game display case and grab the card from in there. Most places don't care or notice that the instruction manuals or inserts have been left in the display cases.. voila, free RFG, no extra purchase required!

Why does living in Australia have sooo many disadvantages. Never got a card like that in mine...

Erana:
Did people outside America even get codes?

That must be it.
THQ even e-mailed me a reminder about it telling me not to lose my card.....

It's like they were holding it just out of my reach....

US only
Pah

They could have let us know earlier so we non US residents could have known so we didnt have to find out where our cards went.

It's been two weeks since I redeemed the code and paid for shipping and I still haven't received my game. Has anybody received their game yet?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here