Australian Games Industry Pitches R18+ Rating

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Australian Games Industry Pitches R18+ Rating

Australia's videogame industry association has made its submission to the public consultation on R18+ videogame ratings, saying that Australia is "out of touch" with the rest of the world when it comes to classifying games.

With less than two weeks remaining in the Australian government's public consultation on the matter of R18+ ratings for videogames in the country, Australia's Interactive Games and Entertainment Association has finally thrown its hat into the ring. There are numerous reasons why the addition of the rating is desirable, the association said, including the increasing convergence of media types, usefulness to parents and the fact that the original decision to exclude the rating from videogames was based on "incorrect assumptions."

"Australia needs an adult rating so adults can play games that are age appropriate for them and parents can make educated choices for their families based on clear, consistent guidelines," said IGEA CEO Ron Curry.

The IGEA also cited poll numbers firmly supporting earlier reports indicating that Australians were overwhelmingly in favor of the new game rating. A News Limited poll showed that 95.5 percent of respondents were in favor of the rating, it noted, while polls conducted by Fairfax and Channel 7 each resulted in a 97 percent favorable response and an Interactive Australia 09 report by Bond University indicated that 91 percent of gamers and non-gamers alike believe the rating should be introduced.

"Even though opportunities to create a comprehensive family friendly classification scheme have been missed, this failure can be overturned at any time," the IGEA wrote in the summary of its position paper. "Censorship Ministers have an ongoing opportunity to repair the gap in the National Classification Scheme by agreeing to introduce an R18+ classification for computer games."

And there, of course, is the rub: Even if the results of the public consultation are undeniably in favor of an R18+ rating, the unanimous consent of the nation's Attorneys General is still required in order for it to actually happen. A "victory" in the process may be useful for bringing pressure to bear on opponents of the rating but as long as resistance remains in place - and we all know who we're talking about here - the classification system will remain unchanged. Since South Australia Attorney General Michael Atkinson has already dismissed this process as inherently flawed and thus irrelevant, it's unlikely that the consultation process will add up to anything more than a shot in the arm for those who already believe that the Australian rating system desperately needs to be overhauled.

The IGEA's complete submission to the R18+ public consultation is available at igea.net. (PDF format)

I still don't understand why he even cares what games adults decide to play. Does it really affect him in the least?

Now, I'm not saying gamers should do anything bad to Atkinson....but small aircraft have such poor safety records, ya'know?

/sarcarsm

But seriously, can't the public just vote to have him forcibly removed from office or something?

Or just riot?

Oh my...

Could it be!? Will the Aussies finally get their precious rating!?

So the only difference between M17+ and R18+ is one year? That is beyond retardedness. They make it sound like adults will only buy games that are R18+.

I'm confused, in the UK we already apply a rating system to games; I myself was ID'd when it came to buying GoW. Did the Aussies not have this before? What does their game rating system consist of now if not?

Nothing is going to change.

It doesn't matter how many powerful and influential people and groups join this thing, as long as that think jerkwad Atkinson has a position of power nothing is going to happen.

Sooner or later some fanatic with mental issues is going to snap and kill Atkinson. Either that or he's going to have his position terminated or something. I honestly don't know, but if that idiot wants to keep rising on the top hated people in Australia list, keep at it I suppose.

Why not let the people of Australia vote on the matter? That way it shows how many people want the R18+ rating.

You know, they should really take some power away from the Attorney Generals.I mean 90 percent of the country wants this apparently,and it isn't something like murder being legal or something else stupid like that, and yet it isn't implemented. Even a child can see a problem wth that.

tmujir955:
Oh my...

I really can't tell who that sarcasm is directed at...

OT: I've asked a lot of times, but why is a unanimous vote need from the Attorney Generals? Surely a majority vote would work far better?

Or am I misunderstanding how their system works?

Well finally they are speaking up. But will politicians listen.

I am starting to feel that Atkinson deserves the death threats and, god willing, one of them will happen.

While I'm glad that this consultation is getting a much needed kick in the right direction, I have the sinking feeling that it will ultimately serve little to no purpose in the final decision, seeing as Michael Atkinson, a man whose running a mad campaign against video games that's nearly twice as furious as Jack Thompson's and definitely three times more pointless, still has the last say.

Honestly, I have no clue what drives this man. Jack Thompson was a merely a misguided lawyer, but this guy's a politician! Video games should be the last thing on his mind!

OK is ha a cartoon villain or something, whenever I hear what he is doing I kinda expect fake eyes to pop out, his voice to go higher and him to have spring shoes (A lovely reference for anyone to have a guess at).

Guys. Shut up about how much you hate Michael Atkinson.

What part of "don't give him ammo" do you not understand!?!?!?!

/rage

HardRockSamurai:
While I'm glad that this consultation is getting a much needed kick in the right direction, I have the sinking feeling that it will ultimately serve little to no purpose in the final decision, seeing as Michael Atkinson, a man whose running a mad campaign against video games that's nearly twice as furious as Jack Thompson's and definitely three times more pointless, still has the last say.

Honestly, I have no clue what drives this man. Jack Thompson was a merely a misguided lawyer, but this guy's a politician! Video games should be the last thing on his mind!

Not to mention he dismisses drugs, alcohol and tobacco use among youth to not be as big an "issue" as video games.

What a messed up little man.

I just want to know what the tiny percentage who voted aginst it were thinking

Konfusion88:
I'm confused, in the UK we already apply a rating system to games; I myself was ID'd when it came to buying GoW. Did the Aussies not have this before? What does their game rating system consist of now if not?

There is not 18 + rating in Austrialia, so if a game recieves an 18 certificate, it doesnt get released unless its editied down to a lower rating.

Admitting it is the first step to retribution.

tmujir955:
Oh my...

My guess is no. Not as long as Atkinson is in power...

lacktheknack:

/rage

Well what the hell are we supposed to do?! Nothing seems to bloody work!

If I see someone acting like a mentally defective douchebag, then I will call him out on it god damn it!

Keep fighting, Australia, you've never given up before. Think of this as your Video Game Kokoda Trail.

ike42:
I still don't understand why he even cares what games adults decide to play. Does it really affect him in the least?

Nope, i think now Mr.Aktinson is just worried about the amount of bad PR he's going to get if the R18+ bill passes, sinc he's apposed it so much.

That or he's just really ignorant.

Ah, Australia; full of some of the most dangerous life on the planet.

The people living there are, unfortunately, total pussies, but...

I think at this point it's just coming down to "Micheal Atkinson doesn't want to admit that he's wrong, because that will make Micheal Atkinson look bad." As if this whole warpath won't get him voted out of office as it is.

This isn't about the games anymore, if it was he would have seen reason by now and backed away. It's about him feeding his ego and hunger for power. He genuinely believes that he is the only one who can make the best choice for people.

Atkinson have already gone so far with this, so he think that if he changes he's mind now he will look silly.

I really think that the Aussie game industry itself should be given control over ratings, not some stuffy old morons who think that gamers are worse than outlaw, murderous biker gangs.

I have a sad feeling that atkinson will crush this matter with a wave of his hand.

Prof.Wood:
OK is ha a cartoon villain or something, whenever I hear what he is doing I kinda expect fake eyes to pop out, his voice to go higher and him to have spring shoes (A lovely reference for anyone to have a guess at).

Who framed roger rabbit i do believe

My question is, if the R18+ ratings were re-introduced, would games like L4D2 and others be resold with the new gore? And how would companies like Valve compensate those who bought their previous edited version? I mean, it's not really their problem if they don't want it to be.

Completely ignoring the people and doing what you want instead... didn't we used to begin revolts for that sort of stuff or at least decapitate the guy in charge? I miss the old ways...

If a certain attorney General in Australia doesn't realize that his obstinate refusal is a bad idea soon, something drastic might happen. 1 obstinate decision could lead to more and cause questions of his moral character and ability to lead and that will lead to his own doom.

Mantonio:

lacktheknack:

/rage

Well what the hell are we supposed to do?! Nothing seems to bloody work!

If I see someone acting like a mentally defective douchebag, then I will call him out on it god damn it!

Interesting how you say "nothing bloody works" when we've done nothing - NOTHING - but send him death threats and hate mail.

We should approach it as the guys in the article do - calm, with level heads and reasoning. For example: "Incorrect assumptions" they say, instead of "mentally handicapped moronic senile douchebags", what most of everyone else is saying.

Quiet dissent, not death threats.

Okay...this is a step. It'll never go through. But its a step.

Well I don't think your going to get your rating until Mr. Atkinson gets voted out of office or kicks the bucket.

I still want to know who the fuck made the rule that all of the AG's have to agree rather than majority rules.

BTW. To all Aussie escapists: What are the odds of Atkinson getting ousted next election?

Oh my. I just read the reason Atkinson used to dismiss the public consultation. Apparently it's going to show overwhelming support in favour of the R18+ rating because the only people interested in it will be gamers.

Shocking! I never realised that the people most likely to give an opinion about something would be those most affected by it!

Macgyvercas:
I still want to know who the fuck made the rule that all of the AG's have to agree rather than majority rules.

BTW. To all Aussie escapists: What are the odds of Atkinson getting ousted next election? burned at the stake.

Fixed that for you.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or