Australian Conservative Launches Anti-R18 Videogame Site

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Australian Conservative Launches Anti-R18 Videogame Site

An Australian conservative blogger has launched NoR18Games.com.au, a website that advocates against the creation of an R18+ rating for videogames.

We all know by now that Australia doesn't have a "mature" rating for videogames and that although most Australians seem to want one, its addition to the classification system is being held up by a tiny minority: A minority of one man, in the eyes of many, who goes by the name of Michael Atkinson. But Atkinson isn't alone in his battle and as the public consultation on the R18+ rating in Australia slowly winds down, those who support his position are starting to make some noise.

The website "Say No to R18+ Video Games" claims that "many studies" have linked videogames to real-life violence and that as such, no such rating should be allowed in the country. "An example of a currently banned game that would be allowed into Australia is a Japanese creation where the player is encouraged to gang rape and beat young women," the site says. "Other games involve 'first person' playing where the player takes the role of torturing or mutilating people."

Once these games are allowed into Australia, site author Andrew Hazelton claims, the rating system will be meaningless because the government will not be able to control who actually has access to them. He also dismisses arguments that adults should have the right to choose for themselves which videogames they want to play because "There is not one single 'benefit' of R-rated games that will enhance or improve character."

The site features images taken from games like Manhunt, Wolfenstein, Grand Theft Auto and Saw, and of course the obligatory in-your-face references to RapeLay, the "terrible Japanese game creation where the player goes around raping young girls." There is no shortage of sensationalist misinformation, but perhaps the most telling comment can be found near the top of the site's front page.

"The Rudd government has released a discussion paper to gauge whether the Australian community wants R18+ games to be permitted," it says. "The 16-page Discussion Paper gives arguments for both sides. However, once you start 'discussing' a topic you open up the way for the law to be changed!"

In other words, the preferred course of action is not to argue the merits of an R18+ videogame rating, but to bury the conversation completely.

Still, in recognition of the fact that the discussion is pretty much unavoidable at this point, the site provides a template for making submissions to the public consultation as well as links to a petition against R18+ videogame ratings, news coverage of the ongoing debate and more. Unfortunately, but also unsurprisingly, the site offers no provisions for debating the matter or expressing a contrary opinion so there's not a lot to do for supporters of the R18+ rating, but if you'd like to poke around anyway, give it a look at nor18games.com.au.

via: GamePolitics

There are reasons to ban certain games on the grounds that kids could get their hands on them, but the same argument applies to cars, guns, drink, etc.

From the site:
Yet despite the many studies and examples of role game linked violence the proponents for the importing of R and X rated games argue that it is an individual's right to watch or play whatever they want and that the repeated playing of such extreme acts will not lead to harmful effects on players' beliefs or values.

Actually the majority of the studies that connect the two have sponsored that have certain... "Agendas" that they need to complete. Thus those studies are soiled, although there are some un-agenda tainted ones out there.
There are more un-agenda ones that disprove that link out there. Sorry.

Well, people have the right to hold opinions. So please, nobody say 'I'd liek to kill dem!' or othersuch nonsense, because you're just proving their point.

Act calm, reasonable and state your points concisely, and they'll have nothing to do but expose themselves as the reactionaries they are.

The emerging consensus with us GPers is that this site is actually a satirical hoax.

Andy Chalk:
"An example of a currently banned game that would be allowed into Australia is a Japanese creation where the player is encouraged to gang rape and beat young women,"

That's a flat out lie. It's never been sold anywhere outside of Japan.

Oh well. There's always a fight with this. To be honest, I'm just done. People are too stubborn and won't even consider the other side for more than a brief moment. No matter what we gamers do, these people will be around trying to censor everything.

how is it that no one points out that the same could be said about movies/books/music/washer-drier-combo/tv-shows/any other art form ?
if all i have to judge R rated movies by is crap like hostel, then i'd be pretty quick to think its all shit that doesn't belong on the air

and as for the "studies"
there aren't any
since a real study would have to take into account the amount of violent acts that are commited by people who DONT play videogames
hell... a real study about violent behavior and outside inputs that might trigger it, would end up making religion illegal

"...the rating system will be meaningless because the government will not be able to control who actually has access to them." This is true with or without the rating implemented - or even without a subject to discuss! - and is therefore meaningless as an argument.

Furburt:
Well, people have the right to hold opinions. So please, nobody say 'I'd liek to kill dem!' or othersuch nonsense, because you're just proving their point.

Act calm, reasonable and state your points concisely, and they'll have nothing to do but expose themselves as the reactionaries they are.

And THEN we stab them from behind, right?

Seriosuly though while everybody has a right to there opinion, i would really like it if the Australian goverment would allow our Aussie Gamer friends to state there case, rather then listening to Aktinson who's essentialy started going: "LALALALALALA R18 games are bad LALALALALALA" with his fingers in his ears.

Furburt:

That's the whole problem. People like this are stifling the voices of those who simply want the option to buy Mature, or R18+, video games. Any opinion suggesting that people should have fewer freedoms or liberties is a wrong opinion. Period.

for the record, calling Rapelay "an R18 game" is like calling "back door sluts 9" an R rated one

Man that game with the zombie looks awesome what game is it?
OT:I really dont see the problem with an R-18 rating, i mean he says that the goverment cant control who sees it. So? adults arent that eaisly molded and he never mentions to "SAV TEH KIDDIES!".

Edit: i checked out the site and sent him an email saying
"I dissagree with your statements, while violent video games do show what some consider to be graphic violence, adults are generally not that eaisly molded, and an R-18 rating doesn't cover giving games to children under 18. Futhermore, i dont believe a word you say of the studies supporting the things you say until you source them. And finally i feel that violent video games can be a posotive for people, serving as a place to unleash your ID's desire. Better to have people living out their violent actions on clouds of ones and zeros imitating as people than on living beings."

how much do you want to bet he disregards this as a gamer fan rage?

Furburt:

...You realise you're trying to talk sense to the internet, right?

Anywho, will be interesting to see if democracy wins the day in Australia and gamers get their rights back. Though if massive sales of RapeLay are made after the bans go down, I'll be a very sad panda.

I actually faceplammed facepalm-ed facepalmmed (wtf is the correct past tense there?) when I saw the parts of the website.

On a purely aesthetic level, the site looks unprofessional, with the flashing "submission" sign in the middle and the images spilling out of the borders. This doesn't lend itself to the site being taken seriously. Getting into the content of the site also makes me doubt the amount of effort put into this thing as they attack what I'm pretty sure was a Japanese only release from something like three years ago, and under thier "images from violent games" section on the left, they include the logo for Saw. Not someone being cut up, but a logo. This makes me question if they even know what they're rallying against.

All in all, this seems overly conservatitve and scare-mongering, and lacks the appearance to seem professionally done.

Also, PM me if you want to hear my views on why Atkinson's crusade makes no sense to me.

EDIT: Oh crap, I forgot to mention the first thing I noticed! They say that "many studies" relate videogames to violence, but fail to mention what studies these are. In my opinion, unless they name what data they're using, their claims are invalid, and they might as well be saying that the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are living on the moon.

I like the section on the home page which shows "Images From Volient Games". I must admit I'm quite intrigued to try playing a volient game, it sounds quite interesting!

Violent video games for me at least are a method of taking out anger on digital people so that I'm not tempted to hurt real people.

silver wolf009:
Man that game with the zombie looks awesome what game is it?
OT:I really dont see the problem with an R-18 rating, i mean he says that the goverment cant control who sees it. So? adults arent that eaisly molded and he never mentions to "SAV TEH KIDDIES!".

I do belive all the zombies present are from L4D2. However, i also that bit of art involveing those lovely zombies might be some concept art for L4D2, if not, well i'd also like to know, since i've seen it everywhere.

Myrph:
I like the section on the home page which shows "Images From Volient Games". I must admit I'm quite intrigued to try playing a volient game, it sounds quite interesting!

They seriously missed that typo?

Australia... poor old Australia.
So glad I don't live there.

I just sent the person who runs the site a reasonable message and hopefully they will change some of the info. It sucks that some people ruin it for the rest, but the least that site could do is get their citations right.

Myrph:

That was one of things I addressed in the message I sent. We'll see if that changes or if they'll just ignore me like every other gamer.

Well, I hope these people realize how sad and pathetic their lives are.

Furburt:

Quiet you, there is no place for logic on the internet... or... wait, this is real life. There is no place for logic on the... world...

Damn it, you broke my brain!

But it is true. To all who do not know it, there is a saying: the pen is mightier than the sword. And the concept of asymmetrical warfare. He is scum? He is cheap? He is a liar? Good. Do not stoop to his level. Show them that gamers can stand above the screaming masses you're being lumped in with, that it is not a vocal majority undermining a nonexistent minority. Show that YOU are the majority through well thought out arguments.

And stop slipping notes under his door for Christ sake.

When will they realize that gamers aren't violent because of the games, but the opposite, games are violent because of (some of) the gamers

Uberjoe19:
Violent video games for me at least are a method of taking out anger on digital people so that I'm not tempted to hurt real people.

Statements like this are what destroy the credibility of what we're fighting for.

No offense, but the whole nerd-rage "I'm not weak and strange, but a human predator who would be doing terrible things to you all if video games weren't keeping me occupied" thing is pathetic and and has been around in one form or another since the dawn of time (albeit using things other than video games). Trying to present such arguements in the course of a serious dialogue on a subject makes people go 'WTF' and actually hurts the case as nobody takes it seriously since all it is, is someone trying to make themselves feel bigger. I'm tired of hearing it, it's not so much that I'm going off on you.

-

Generally speaking the proper counter to this arguement is to point out that every single generation has had it's "youth boogieman". All of which have been supported by "studies" that argued that say the graphic depictions of violence (and to an extent sexuality) in things like old school horror comics were destroying the youth, and that even for adults such things had no redeeming value. The "Comics Code Authority" was established and such things were done away with entirely, and it had NO effect on anything since it was a scapegoat. The same thing was claimed about horror movies, and Europe (as opposed to Australia) lead the crusade with their Video Nasties list. Even before it was overturned, it had no effect. The "experts" looking at a scapegoat to avoiding addressing the REAL issues for which there is no easy solution have never been right, and never will be right.

All of the talk about nerds and fanboys flipping out and going homicidal on people without their escapism is ridiculous, and actually counter-productive to the case. What's more where bans HAVE taken place, the comic nerds, horror movie nerds, and rock music nerds, have yet to undergo a "predator reversion" and started killing people without their "safe way of venting for society's protection" even when things were banned.

Still, the simple fact that there are fan boys delusional to SAY things like this, and what's more perhaps even believe them (having convinced themselves it's reality as a form of self validation) plays right into the hands of the people attacking the latest "youth terror". The big fat dweeb, or 98 pound weakling making these cases can be pointed to as both having negative personality traits based on gaming, and what's more having been totally detached from reality. "Jr. Really thinks that if we took away his shooter games, he could go around shooting people like that, and probably would". Given the fact that your total "weak and strange" kid probably has no idea where to GET a gun "oh well, I could get one easy, I know my parents have one around SOMEWHERE" never mind properly fire one with any accuracy it's the very definition of impotent lulz and fooling nobody except maybe the speaker himself.

I go off on this because I hear it constantly, and frankly it's about as useful as internet tough guy rampages.... please, everyone just stop.

Hold on, I'm pretty sure that RapeLay isn't availabe in the UK (or it wasn't the last time I searched for my weekly dose of rape simulators).

They do realise that by having an 18 they can still ban the ridiculously disgusting stuff like that, don't they?

If anything, by not having an 18 they're totally defying the reason they don't want an 18: if you don't have an 18 then games like AvP which are getting 18s everywhere else will get a 15 - so its even easier for someone who shouldn't play the game to play it.

Not that a 15-year-old couldn't "handle" an 18, but they seem convinced that all 11-year-olds play 18s. If its a 15 then a parent's more likely to be lenient.

GOd what is wrong with australian politicians?

Has rap music been banned in Australia? What about Marilyn Manson? I seem to remember that both of those source of music make anyone who listens to them a blood thirty criminal who supports abuse towards women or a devil worshipper who wants to eat babies' faces. I imagine the same studies that prove video games make people violent were conducted by the moon men and pink elephants that wrote up papers about music making people violent too.

Next up in Australia: the need for a ban on bananas and certain other foods because eating them makes you want to give men oral sex (studies proving this to follow).

Is it just me or do all these Australian conservatives need to be kicked in the balls?

Studies have shown that sports games, mainly sracing games, have caused more violence than R18+ rated games...

They should be banning those!

what people should be doing is starting a counter site to it
showing nothing but horrible scenes from movies and stuff like that, and starting a petition to ban R rated movies in Australia
get people to see how stupid it is, and how extreme you can get, if you only take the most horrible pieces from an art form that most people already accept as perfectly normal

GUYS I HAVE JUST FIGURED SOMETHING OUT

The air that we breathe? You know, oxygen and all those other gases? Well, that air is keeping thousands of criminals and murderers alive at this very moment! Think of all the problems that could be solved....by removing all the air! It's that easy! We won't have to lift a finger to actually do the jobs we're paid to do! We should totally start reshaping Earth's atmosphere RIGHT NAO and it'll be so convenient and I'm in charge so shut up and do as I say!

I also really don't get how these people can say that M rated games are corrupting our youth....when they're missing the entire POINT of an M rating, the M rating exists to single out games that people who are too young shouldn't play. But they don't even want to bother and implement some kind of system, they just want to get rid of anything overly violent! Why not ban the Discovery channel as well, since it occasionally depicts graphic violence? We don't want our kids near this kind of filth!

Therumancer:

Uberjoe19:

Statements like this are what destroy the credibility of what we're fighting for.

No offense, but the whole nerd-rage "I'm not weak and strange, but a human predator who would be doing terrible things to you all if video games weren't keeping me occupied" thing is pathetic and and has been around in one form or another since the dawn of time (albeit using things other than video games). Trying to present such arguements in the course of a serious dialogue on a subject makes people go 'WTF' and actually hurts the case as nobody takes it seriously since all it is, is someone trying to make themselves feel bigger. I'm tired of hearing it, it's not so much that I'm going off on you.

-

Generally speaking the proper counter to this arguement is to point out that every single generation has had it's "youth boogieman". All of which have been supported by "studies" that argued that say the graphic depictions of violence (and to an extent sexuality) in things like old school horror comics were destroying the youth, and that even for adults such things had no redeeming value. The "Comics Code Authority" was established and such things were done away with entirely, and it had NO effect on anything since it was a scapegoat. The same thing was claimed about horror movies, and Europe (as opposed to Australia) lead the crusade with their Video Nasties list. Even before it was overturned, it had no effect. The "experts" looking at a scapegoat to avoiding addressing the REAL issues for which there is no easy solution have never been right, and never will be right.

All of the talk about nerds and fanboys flipping out and going homicidal on people without their escapism is ridiculous, and actually counter-productive to the case. What's more where bans HAVE taken place, the comic nerds, horror movie nerds, and rock music nerds, have yet to undergo a "predator reversion" and started killing people without their "safe way of venting for society's protection" even when things were banned.

Still, the simple fact that there are fan boys delusional to SAY things like this, and what's more perhaps even believe them (having convinced themselves it's reality as a form of self validation) plays right into the hands of the people attacking the latest "youth terror". The big fat dweeb, or 98 pound weakling making these cases can be pointed to as both having negative personality traits based on gaming, and what's more having been totally detached from reality. "Jr. Really thinks that if we took away his shooter games, he could go around shooting people like that, and probably would". Given the fact that your total "weak and strange" kid probably has no idea where to GET a gun "oh well, I could get one easy, I know my parents have one around SOMEWHERE" never mind properly fire one with any accuracy it's the very definition of impotent lulz and fooling nobody except maybe the speaker himself.

I go off on this because I hear it constantly, and frankly it's about as useful as internet tough guy rampages.... please, everyone just stop.

I am not a fanboy, I like being an ass to others, and I rarely play video games. How about that? That was my opinion.

Great, now you got ME as indignant as you are.

EDIT: I know I may be coming off as a dick. I apologize for that. And what he said about a lot of folks saying it is true. It's just for me, I like the violent games simply because they are violent.

I'd love to see a study that showed a link between violent video games and real life violence. Because to my knowledge there are none... all the ones I've read that supposedly do take huge speculative leaps and rely on very weak correlations and generally don't even bother controlling or even looking into other possible factors. And even if a link was proven, it does not prove violent video games cause violent behaviour, I'd say it may be more likely that more violent people are more attracted to these kinds of games (and personally I'd prefer them playing games then finding other outlets).

I think that generally when someone resorts to lying to support their position, that they should get out of the way of these kinds of discussions. It destroys any integrity they had, and what a surprise this site does not have any area for public rebuttals/discourse. Just a contact form that will most likely put you on a spam list for them in then future!

Yes. Many studies show that virtual-violence was connected to real-life violence.

Also, the same studies also linked cats and hang-gliders to violence as well, so take from that what you will.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here