Australian Conservative Launches Anti-R18 Videogame Site

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

There has never been an actual study that has proven the effects people claim "violent video games" have on the people who play them. Therefore their argument is pointless and collapsing under it's own weight.

I'd also like to note that most of the people who are against these ratings being implemented keep using the same games in their arguments wouldn't someone think they're losing the argument if that's all they can come up with?

It's a politician's job to create templates for how society should act, not enforce them. They have a great thing in Australia where it is an offense not to vote on election day, but people still do. If not having a 100% compliance rate is grounds to call a piece of legislation a failure, then there has not been a single law ever passed that has succeeded.

Instead of acting like these "offensive" pieces of media don't exist via a method not dissimilar to the way many autocracies prevent the people from voicing an opinion, the R18+ rating should not only exist, but be enforced. Think about it, would it not be a slight point of political pride for the Australian government if they were to implement such a rating, and bolster their chances of success by imposing more strictly enforced penalties than the UK or North American markets?

My god, just give them their fucking R18 game! Do you really think this is going to stop kids from killing/drinking/fucking each other!? No matter what, thousands of kids are going to do the things that would make their parents cry. There are just some kids that are fucked up in the head, thats all.

You can limit this by instead teaching kids good moral values, and if they disobey, beat the fuck out of them! Jesus, their just games!

Someone need to hang him upside down by his balls while they hack off his limbs with a chainsaw.
He is SO stupid! Video games don't make people violent!
oh wait.......

Rediculous...Dud they study what the individual was like?

Serioulsy. This is getting beyond a joke. What ever happened to democratic voting!

bladeofdarkness:

and as for the "studies"
there aren't any
since a real study would have to take into account the amount of violent acts that are commited by people who DONT play videogames
hell... a real study about violent behavior and outside inputs that might trigger it, would end up making religion illegal

I don't want to derail the discussion or turn this into a 'thing', but doesn't that seem like a bit of a double standard? If someone goes tonto in their school with a machine gun and the news says "GTA made him do it!" we declare that he's just a nutter and the media are looking for a scapegoat, but if someone blows up a gay bar and claims to be on a mission from God, all fingers point to the Church and that's okay? Why can't all nutters just be nutters equally?

This Australian game dealie does make me sad. Atkinson's type always seems to be searching for the big bogeyman that's corrupting the youth of today so they can hunt down and destroy it, to bring the world to rights again as their nostalgia-fuddled memories recall it.
In the 20s it was jazz music.
In the 30s it was pulp adventure novels.
In the 40s it was crime comics.
In the 50s it was superhero comics.
In the 60s it was rock music and the marijuana. Also communism.
In the 70s it was heavy metal.
In the 80s it was horror movies.
In the 90s it was still horror movies although games started getting into the scene with Doom...
In the 00s it was video games, and now into the 10s it looks like it might still be video games.

What will it be next? What metaphorical monster will Atkinson's ilk be chasing with equally metaphorical pitchforks for the next ten years? Cranial implants? Genetic enhancements? Robosexuality? Social networking?

-Nick

xD i like the way the page has no forums or shoutbox or anything, that would be getting so spammed right now xD

Who wants to bet on how many DDoS attacks the site will get this week!?

There should be a referendum (that thing where the whole population can go and vote...that's how it's called right?) and see what the public opinion is, cause the people of Australia have the right to vote and decide...not Atkinson or whatever disease he's named after. What he's doing is called Communism...

I'm not clicking on the link to the site because I don't want it to give it a single hit. I want this website to die.

murdockpt:
or maybe they are butbecause they arent bending to your will, theyre called narrow minded and un open to ideas.

its like the current american congress. people say its time for bipatisanship and that one side should see the others, but isnt debate good? the only people saying we need to work together are the ones who arent getting their way *cough* obama

Wow, on your fourth post and you already make a post slamming our president and gamers in-general.
They aren't letting adults do something that hurts nobody, and infringes on nobody's right, that's called, gasp , Narrow-mindedness.
Please, don't make a flame-bait about gamers on a gaming site, 'kay thanks bye.

Its not new that video games are accused of many crimes here and there, the kind of cases i put in the "desperate idiots only" file (like evil white seal hunting and stuff like that)
Videogames doesnt cause crime.
Might have a correlation (criminals playing games), but its meaningless; Since everyone play games... is everyone a criminal? Nope. Not at all.

Nothing proves it.. for dozens of million of gamers have yet to become mass murderers.

Another pointless exercise in trying to convience people that something good is wrong. The point of an 18 rating is to hep control media, not too help allow adult games in. The fact that games like AVP are being allowed in with a 15 rating means that teens three years younger can acess games three years there senior in other countries.

Mind you, since it's extremely easy for someone to bypass the ratings system anyway, the whole thing is just an exercise to stop ten year olds from getting acess to adult games. Even then, all they do is get mummy to go in and get it, so the only way this will help austrila is to allow games like LFD2 to get into the country uncensored.

I say we go and find this man and rescue him, because he is obviously being brainwashed by the real evil mastermind...Atkinson himself.

Damn, that guy's stupid.

Where are these studies being done? My only guess that would explain these sorts of statistics is in an insane asylum for the overly-violent. While yes violent video games do cause some people to be more agressive, they do not, I repeat DO NOT make one more violent. If these studies were to be believed then EVERY person who as EVER played a violent video game should right now being mercilessly beating an old lady with their own dead dog.

The only reason why this sort of correlation has been drawn is because violent people are drawn to violent video games, and then eventually their violent tendencies get the better of them.

So please Michael, please stop trumpeting about something that the rest of the world doesn't care about in blind hopes that you'll start some unecessary and unintelligent change. Because it won't. Violent video games are here to stay. And it is good.

Sent him an email telling him that no one will listen to his arguements until he can reliably cite one source that proves beyond the shadow of a doubt that video games cause violence. Also told him that RapeLay wouldn't enter Australia because it's not available for sale outside Japan.

He probably won't listen, but it made me feel better.

The person who goes on a Halo themed rampage was the sort of person who was going to go on a rampage to begin with, the Halo theme was just a cool idea he had while planning the rampage and could have been TV themed, Book themed or I hate my Mother themed.

If you're going to ban stuff which is going to influence someone's mind state you might as well ban websites that promote political agenda's.

That is one scary website, almost convinced me.

silver wolf009:
Man that game with the zombie looks awesome what game is it?

Ironicly, I THINK the biggest one with a zombie on it is actually from a board game, I seem to recall it being in our local tabletop gaming store, I'll check it out tomorrow and see if I can get the title. I was going to point that out anyway, so I may as well reply to you.

I would just Google it, but a Google search for "Zombie Board Game" comes up with ZOMBIES!!! and Last Night on Earth. Neither of which it is.

OT - Yeah... So the best way to make sure everyone's happy is to not talk about it and hope it goes away? Good God that's pathetic.

I would be temped to write the whole thing off as a hoax with the single line of "The 16-page Discussion Paper gives arguments for both sides. However, once you start 'discussing' a topic you open up the way for the law to be changed!"

Then I remember the article a day or 2 ago where Atkinson actually said that the discussion was flawed because the people most interested in it would be gamers. Now I'm not so sure I can just write this off.

Chipperz:

silver wolf009:
Man that game with the zombie looks awesome what game is it?

Ironicly, I THINK the biggest one with a zombie on it is actually from a board game, I seem to recall it being in our local tabletop gaming store, I'll check it out tomorrow and see if I can get the title. I was going to point that out anyway, so I may as well reply to you.

I would just Google it, but a Google search for "Zombie Board Game" comes up with ZOMBIES!!! and Last Night on Earth. Neither of which it is.

OT - Yeah... So the best way to make sure everyone's happy is to not talk about it and hope it goes away? Good God that's pathetic.

FOUND IT!

As proof of just how full of shit this website is, may I present... Mall of Horror! The Zombie-themed BOARD GAME that takes up most of the image used.

Are there ratings on board games, or are these psychotics just trying to get them? Do board games encourage violence?

EDIT - also, my inner grammar Nazi is loving the fact that they show "images from volient video games".

The only games that should be banned have the word "Manhunt" in the title. Any other violent video game I can tolerate because the violence on the violence they portray is not the same as real life violence. However, any thing that gives you up close demonstrations on how to use common house hold items to kill people is a bit much.

There should be a game where you play as Yahtzee and hunt down and murder this man. ...

I wonder what kind of rating it would get...

I wrote a well thought out and reasoned message that was angry but not abusive which explained, in great detail, how the site owner is either a complete fool or a blatant liar whose every point of argument is completely wrong. I know it won't do any good, but it made me feel better.

I don't believe the site is an elaborate troll. It's far too serious. If it's meant to be a troll it's clearly a failed one because it's EXACTLY like the real thing and would have the same effect on the impressionable, uninformed visitor.

Sometimes I wonder if everyone SHOULD have the right to their own opinion. It results in retards like this spouting off their mindless crap.

I'm waiting for the inevitable DDoS attack... Hehehehe...

malestrithe:
The only games that should be banned have the word "Manhunt" in the title. Any other violent video game I can tolerate because the violence on the violence they portray is not the same as real life violence. However, any thing that gives you up close demonstrations on how to use common house hold items to kill people is a bit much.

Manhunt 2 should be banned not for being ultra violent, but because it's bad. It's clear they couldn't make a good game out of it and decided to just make it as shocking as they possibly could, which is a crime in and of itself.

FinalHeart95:

Andy Chalk:
"An example of a currently banned game that would be allowed into Australia is a Japanese creation where the player is encouraged to gang rape and beat young women,"

That's a flat out lie. It's never been sold anywhere outside of Japan.

I was actually able to find a hard cover and translated copy here in Iceland.But it was in a street booth...That still doesn't change the fact that I unvalidated your point.

OT:I don´t think that starting a website will help the anti-R18 community allot.Seeing as how many or even most people that use the internet to some extent are gamers.Or somehow connected to the gaming community.

What about banning people who want to ban things citing "studies have shown" as an argument?
And infomercials too.

The simple reply to this is: 'Who cares what you think? You're the great-great-grandchildren of criminals.'

Gets them every time.

God I hate these twats, just because we have an R18+ rating doesn't mean we have to approve ratings for everything, if something is so morally objectionable (rapelay) you can still refuse it a rating, the reason most of us want R18+ is so that games that are obviously R18+ stop getting released as M15, i.e GTA games.

Ignorance is apparent on this persons blog, as he claims that games like 'that japanese game' (mind me, i am at Tafe at the moment, so i have to keep it clean) and manhunt will instantly let in upon the release of the R rating.

He knows that those games will not be let in the country as they are deemed too graphic even for the R rating.
If he doesn't, then he needs to really start to get some more insight before coming to this argument. Then again, ignornace is a force to be reckoned with, thanks to fox and current affair shows.

That picture on the bottom right there.

I swear that's from a board game in a shop I used to work in, not a video game at all.

Silly people.

Something that I'm not sure has been explicitely stated that I'm wondering about. Do Aussies not get to play M games? And they want to make the M rating R18? Personally I think the ESRB ratings need some redefining as even in north america it's my opinion that we have some M games that are quite mild and some M games that are super gory, vulgur, sexually explicit, or just downright terrifying for less mature audiences and therefore even here we should have M and R18... but to say all Mature games are equivalent to R18 is pretty silly. Think about movie ratings...

And their argument that you're "doing" instead of "watching" (gaming vs movies) is pretty pathetic. Is the crowd who cheers on a gang beatdown of highschoolers not a culprit?? The bystander has as much choice as the perpetrator.

Its the standard poorly designed scare tactic website, ironically catering to the people who don't know much about the internet.

bladeofdarkness:
for the record, calling Rapelay "an R18 game" is like calling "back door sluts 9" an R rated one

Word! These people seem to think that having an R18+ category will result in the abolishment of the 'NC' category for things that are refuse classification. They've totally missed the point.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here