Sony Bashes Microsoft's "Check Writing" Policy Again

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Sony's PR strategy in the console war seems to be to point out that Microsoft is a devilish, top hat-wearing fat cat lording over the population with its giant dollar-sign labeled sacks of cash.

Back in April, Sony bashed Microsoft for purchasing most of its exclusive titles rather than creating them, and with the recent release of Mass Effect 2 has gone back to those same tactics. Rob Dyer, SCEA Senior Vice President of Publisher Relations, told IndustryGamers that Sony "counters" Xbox 360 exclusives with its own first-party games, which Microsoft simply has no answer to.

"They have very few first-party studios at Microsoft," he says. "Bungie's next Halo is the last one, Rare rarely puts out anything, you've got Peter Molyneux with his Fable stuff... but they don't have first-party development studios inside at Redmond or anywhere for that matter. We do. So rather than putting their money behind that, they've been going to Epic or Valve or BioWare to do what they did with Mass Effect, and that's where they throw their dollars."

Dyer admits that Sony won't "compete with Microsoft on that front," but says that regardless the PlayStation 3 is growing at such a rate that it will definitely overtake the Xbox 360 sometime in the future. "Our global business is bigger than 360's and will continue to get bigger than 360, and people are seeing that. We passed them in Europe and they don't even exist in Japan, and we're going to catch them and pass them here in the U.S. as well," he predicts.

Dyer basically feels that publishers should want their games on the PS3. "When I walk into an EA, they're telling me that for Madden, the one platform they're seeing year-on-year growth is the PS3, or when I walk into Activision and they tell me the same thing for Guitar Hero. Those are big statements, given what has transpired with those franchises." The advantage of the Blu-ray disc is Dyer's thing, with him pointing out multiple publishers would likely say "that by focusing on PS3 and its virtues and what it provides, it translated into much bigger sales and bang for the buck," naming the PS3 Dante's Inferno Divine Edition as an example.

He's right about one thing: the PlayStation 3's use of Blu-ray is a huge advantage. The average hardcore gamer would probably own both systems at this point, and purchasing Dante's Inferno on the PlayStation 3 over the Xbox 360 is a no-brainer even though some people probably wouldn't even look at the extra features included. More stuff always equals good. I'm not sure about the validity of bashing Microsoft for paying for its exclusives, because that basically seems like the same thing as paying to run a studio to make a game in-house, but the money is simply exchanged in a different way. Sony and Microsoft will just always find ways to attack each other viciously until one of the two die, no matter what happens.

(Via: GI.biz)

If Microsoft have the money to grab timed exclusive DLC and the stuff like that than that's part of their business plan. Sony can't moan just because they didn't get in their first.

Do I care whether or not Microsoft creates their own exclusives? God no, as long as the exclusives are good. Seems like a stupid thing to be nit-picky about, Sony. But if they want to feel like they're winning the pissing contest because of it, good for them.

" you've got Peter Molyneux with his Fable stuff... "

Haha, sounds like their opinion of Fable is the same as mine.

Anyway, they seem to both be getting down and dirty with the trash-talk lately (more so than usual).

So the Playstation and Playstation 2's hardcore reliance on the RPG market in general, fueled by an exclusivity contract with Square Enix that only recently expired, was entirely different from what Microsoft does when it signs exclusivity contracts with major developers. Huh.

Sony: Pfft, we won't buy exclusives or make in-house games.

Microsoft: K, we will. Enjoy having less games.

Sony: Look everyone, Microsoft is buying exclusives! Yaaa, booo, hiss etc.

Anyone else find that Nintendo versus SEGA was a lot more sensible and less immature than Sony versus Microsoft?

TheEarlOfGrey:
If Microsoft have the money to grab timed exclusive DLC and the stuff like that than that's part of their business plan. Sony can't moan just because they didn't get in their first.

Quite. Bashing MS for utilising their cash to secure exclusives seems a little "we-can't-afford-it-thus-it's-morally-wrong". Given a wodge of cash, I'm certain Sony would do the exact same thing.

And frankly, I thought we'd passed the bitchy note-passing stage. Both consoles have had time to settle in, we're seeing a very close race, I foolishly thought we'd got to the stage of both companies spending their time getting actual advantages and benefits for their consumers rather than making snide comments.

brewbeard:
So the Playstation and Playstation 2's hardcore reliance on the RPG market in general, fueled by an exclusivity contract with Square Enix that only recently expired, was entirely different from what Microsoft does when it signs exclusivity contracts with major developers. Huh.

Why look at what we have here! It's our little friend Hypocrisy! Hi Hypocrisy! How are you today?

/sarcasm

Psst, Sony, the thing is I look for good games. It doesn't really matter to me if they are made by company A or company B, it just matters if they are good.

I hate to break it to you, but it's not a massive conspiracy or anything. I prefer the 360 because it has more games that *gasp* I think are good.

I'm so tired of this company bashing crap. Sony bought the exclusive rights to Unreal 3 for a year, so they're guilty of this too.

Congrats sony you make some fine games, and you also have the most difficult system to program for of ALL TIME. While your exclusives are absolutely incredible (love me some Ratchet and Clank), your cross platform titles have major problems like, framerate issues, color contrast issues. I raged when I got assassins creed for it and I saw the 360 version, there was color, the framerate was stable.

Oh no, you mean Microsoft actually wants to have games in it's portfolio? How dare they! And little ol' Sony has to rely on themselves for once unlike from '95-'06? Awww, poor widdle baby! :(

Singing Gremlin:

TheEarlOfGrey:

I foolishly thought we'd got to the stage of both companies spending their time getting actual advantages and benefits for their consumers rather than making snide comments.

As did I. The console wars in the public eye may have ended, but for the companies themselves they secretly still rage on in a constant race of one-up-manship against the other.

Well, usually I just get tired of this crap between them, but this time... Well, he's kinda right.

Not to say he's not being a whiny bitch though.

Microsoft doesn't have a Team ICO, that's for sure. If they did have a Team ICO they would get them working on a Halo branded platformer then shut them down.

Like it or not, the console market remains dominated by the Wii, and low-cost commercial PCs have outspecced the PS3 since about a week after its release; and with the exception of alan wake and button mashers, the pc ends up with most of the titles released as well. Theres no reason I'd want to play anything that runs on a pc on a console, and theres no reason I'd want to play anything designed for the wii on a ps3.

As far as I am concerned, sony and microsoft can continue to argue about who is in third place til the cows come home.

All exclusives are evil. They just mean that you can only play games if you've bought the console for them.

Perhaps Sony has a point about their exclusives actually being created by them, but since exclusives for them are little more than a way to encourage more people to buy their console so it can dominate the market, Microsoft is using a legitimate Counter-strategy in my opinion.

Yeah go Sony. Petty fanboyism hits the corperations.

Okay I don't want to say this but seriously. Grow up.

"Microsoft is a devilish, top hat-wearing fat cat lording over the population"

Who told Sony PR about my avatar?

Microsoft is perfectly within their rights to use money to get games, I'm not complaining and I'm pretty sure Sony would do the exact same thing and in did with companies like square-enix.

It doesn't matter what his argument is, or whether he raises good points, starting his argument by saying "Microsoft spends money, that makes them evil!" invalidated everything by making him no better than a forum troll.

Yes, Microsoft spends money. They also have some great exclusives. This somehow makes them bad? To me that makes them smart. They see the value in developers and invest money to ensure their exclusive benefit from the resulting product. Good thing you don't rely on that and instead develop all your stuff yourselves.

Like Metal Gear Solid 4 from Konami, Grand Theft Auto 4 from Rockstar, Resident Evil 5 from Capcom, Call of Duty from Activision, or Fallout 3 from Bethesda.

How's Gran Turismo 5 coming along?

Tom Goldman:

Sony's PR strategy in the console war seems to be to point out that Microsoft is a devilish, top hat-wearing fat cat lording over the population with its giant dollar-sign labeled sacks of cash.

Dyer admits that Sony won't "compete with Microsoft on that front," but says that regardless the PlayStation 3 is growing at such a rate that it will definitely overtake the Xbox 360 sometime in the future. "Our global business is bigger than 360's and will continue to get bigger than 360, and people are seeing that. We passed them in Europe and they don't even exist in Japan, and we're going to catch them and pass them here in the U.S. as well," he predicts.

If you are not already bigger than 360 you cannot continue to get bigger. You can continue to increase sales to match...then get bigger. Don't get me wrong I want a PS3 but some people need to do it a favour and shut the hell up cuz they are talking shit. No one really gives a fuck about Madden outside the states and Guitar hero is dying. Try talking about the good shit on PS3 like Heavy Rain or GOW3. Wow, I have swore a lot through this. Sorry mum!

Tom Goldman:

"They have very few first-party studios at Microsoft," he says. "Bungie's next Halo is the last one, Rare rarely puts out anything, you've got Peter Molyneux with his Fable stuff... but they don't have first-party development studios inside at Redmond or anywhere for that matter. We do. So rather than putting their money behind that, they've been going to Epic or Valve or BioWare to do what they did with Mass Effect, and that's where they throw their dollars."

Sounds more like pointing out the obvious rather than bashing MS. Not that it really makes any difference.

"I'm not sure about the validity of bashing Microsoft for paying for its exclusives, because that basically seems like the same thing as paying to run a studio to make a game in-house, but the money is simply exchanged in a different way."

Exactly what I was going to say! Wow, ninja'd by the article lol. Anyways, underneath all the whining is "My name is PS3 and I have Mass Effect-envy." ... "Hi PS3!"

Snotnarok:
and you also have the most difficult system to program for of ALL TIME. While your exclusives are absolutely incredible (love me some Ratchet and Clank), your cross platform titles have major problems like, framerate issues, color contrast issues. I raged when I got assassins creed for it and I saw the 360 version, there was color, the framerate was stable.

I hate to break it to you but the hardest all time would be the Atari Jaguar. Look it up if you don't remember it.

As for the cross-platform remark, it depends on which system the original coding was done. When a game is coded for the 360 and ported to the PS3, the PS3 version suffers.

brewbeard:
So the Playstation and Playstation 2's hardcore reliance on the RPG market in general, fueled by an exclusivity contract with Square Enix that only recently expired...

Sony is a little hypocritical here, but Square is a bad example because Sony did invest a lot of money into Square, saving it from certain bankruptcy after the box office failure "FF: The Spirits Within". Square pretty much owed Sony at that point.

(From 2001) http://www.gamespot.com/news/2816880.html

I guess the best example is simply in the way that Sony deals with 1st party devs Vs. Microsoft's 3rd party devs. It's all very similar really.

I agree that the Blu Ray drive is Sony's biggest advantage. How many more multiple disk games like FFXIII will consumers (and mainly developers) put up with?

Joshimodo:
Sony: Pfft, we won't buy exclusives or make in-house games.

Microsoft: K, we will. Enjoy having less games.

Sony: Look everyone, Microsoft is buying exclusives! Yaaa, booo, hiss etc.

Anyone else find that Nintendo versus SEGA was a lot more sensible and less immature than Sony versus Microsoft?

I don't think Sega was much better in the maturity department.

thenumberthirteen:
I agree that the Blu Ray drive is Sony's biggest advantage. How many more multiple disk games like FFXIII will consumers (and mainly developers) put up with?

I think developers will care a lot more than consumers. I don't think a lot of people would be mad about switching a few disks over a few dozen hours of gaming. For publishers, this significantly increases the production costs. In the current economic environment, I don't imagine that publishers are very enthusiastic about throwing lots of money at 1~3 extra DVDs per game without being able to raise the price.

"His Fable stuff"

But yeah, MS rarely does first party dev.

I read the article and thought that he was getting at the whole "Microsoft is nothing but a company full of programmers and they don't even write their own games" irony thing...

Sounds alot like what Microsoft says about Macs, when all they really need to say is "come on". Of course microsoft says stupid things like pcs have more ram when macs don't need as much ram and such, which sony also seems to emulate.

Sony should be kinda glad their studios are in-house...Valve has made it clear that being newly introduced to the Playstation 3 Devkit is like being given a physics quiz in an unknown tribal language.

I read this in the way that Sony is complaining because they dont have the money to buy exclusive titles for the PS3.

I dont know why they are even complaining, the Playstation exclusives I've liked in the past are the only reason I would buy a PS3 [Metal Gear Solid, SOCOM....and MAG, but thats not an established series!].

If I was Nintendo and I say this, I would totally make a press release as soon as I could and just stand there laughing my ass off as I held up the article. Seriously good job Sony, bash Microsoft for less first party exclusives when your other competitor can put you in the exact same spot.

I own both systems. Your biggest cock contest holds no bearing over me Sony and Microsoft.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here