Ubisoft Clarifies New Online DRM Scheme

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

So they basically clarified how shit it is...Ubisoft take a hint and listen to people...

Nimbus:
Well fuck. This has gone and broken my bullshitometer. Ubisoft, you can be expecting the repair bill!

All jokes aside, even if I do buy this, I won't install it as-is. I'll have to install the not-retarded pirate version, because my connection drops out all the time.

See that Ubi? You're DRM is so inconvenient, you're literally forcing me to get the pirated version, because your anti-piracy software majorly inconveniences innocent consumers, but doesn't affect pirates in the slightest.

If you're going to pirate it, do not buy it for the PC. honestly.

don't send them any message that this was a good idea.

If you want to pirate it, go right ahead (ALTORINS OPINIONS DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE OPINIONS OF THE ESCAPIST OR ITS PARENT COMPANY THEMIS MEDIA AND ARE FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY), but definitely don't buy it. Maybe buy the console if you feel like you owe them, even if you don't have a console.. just don't buy it on the PC.

Vigilantis:

Amnestic:

Altorin:

that spoiler tag would have made more sense if we clicked on the picture to get the words, but whatchagonnado.

I'm going to take what you said, ignore it, then go buy that booze I mentioned in the other thread. And I'd like to see you stop me.

Especially since you're in Canada and I'm in the UK. You'd have to run very fast.

Flawless Victory!

Amnestic Wins

Babality

fuckn' babies.

All DRM does is stop casual piracy. Some kid lending a game to his friend, or a game getting spread around some college dorm floor. There has yet to be any form of DRM that has stopped piracy from the people who want to do it. I guarantee maybe a week or so after release there will be cracks for any Ubisoft game that uses this technology.

Does Ubisoft really think that the Hackers can't get around this sort of authentication and can't redirect saves to a local device instead of an IP?

Also, high-power gaming laptops are becoming more affordable. So what happens if you are on holiday and want to play your game late one night? What about being on a plane, or a train?

I love that they are trying to spin this in a positive way. Them saying 'Hey you can install this on as many computers as you want' completely disgards the fact that I could always do that, this isn't something new.

Can't we just go back to needing the damn CD in the drive and a CD-Key?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

They think that this makes it better?!

News Flash Ubisoft: Assassin's Creed 2 is a single player game - if my internet fluctuates for a moment while playing a single player game, nothing at all should happen because it's a bloody single player game!!!!

We put up with lag, server hiccups, or outages when the game in question is an MMO, because it's a bloody online game, OF COURSE it needs to be online to work. What you are telling us now is that, should our internet service go out for some reason, all we have to do is leave our game open and unplayable until the internet service eventually comes back, then we can resume all the fun we were having before our inability to see the internet rendered the game that's running entirely off of our bloody hard drives because it's SINGLE PLAYER unplayable.

There is no possible way you can spin this to make it better. We don't care about "Your saves transfer to anywhere!" if it comes attached to "but since it requires an active internet connection at all time to even operate, you can't play at all if your net connection is down or if you are in areas without the possibility of connecting to the net (like when you USE A LAPTOP while TRAVELING)". It was insulting and onerous when EA wanted to have their games try to phone home and then lock you out if they didn't confirm you still weren't a pirate(!?) after so many days, but at least that system would have let you PLAY the game without being connected to the internet (for a while at least).

Cloud-based saves are a nifty feature for a single-player game, not a replacement for your bloody local hard drive, and tying the game's operations to a constant internet connection is bloody stupid - if they wanted us to be excited about this, their games should offer the feature of automatic account-based saves so long as you remain connected to the internet, not require that connection to function in the first place.

All this PR spin confirms for me is that whoever made this decision at Ubisoft is painfully stupid and has completely failed to grasp why the internet is now collectively burning you in effigy. You've just told us, in no uncertain terms, that yes, it is exactly as bad as we thought it was. Congratulations.

I will avoiding any Ubisoft title from this point forward, until such time as they realize they are retarded and stop screwing over their customers with these asinine DRM schemes, or the end of my natural lifespan (whichever comes first). And while the internet is quick to point out that those crying "Boycott!" rarely do shit about it and probably buy the game in question on launch day, believe me when I say that I will not only buck that trend, I will also take each and every single feasible opportunity I possibly can from here on out to actively dissuade every single person I know from ever giving any of their money to Ubisoft from now on.

When I say something like that, I damn well mean it.

I still think it's garbage. I refer back to what Shamus Young said a few months back about modern DRM techniques in that, as of right now, the money you spend on games buys you the right to ask if you can play. Whether or not the selling party allows you is completely up to them.

I will not be giving my money to them knowing that if at any point their infrastructure fails, I would no longer be able to play their game.

Ok , i understand Ubi's DRM policy. So i guess, once i buy AC2 i should be expecting a check from Ubi to pay my monthly internet bill so i can play their game? Because that's the only logical solution i see. I mean, are they assuming i have free internet?

DRM does nothing but punish everyone, unless you do like Shamus said, if you don't verify the game, it alters the game that gives something like an impossible keycard quest, and the keycard doesn't exist

Ubisoft VP:Greetings valued customer what valued customer, to aleviate recent piracy issues, as well as to make sure that you get the best possible experience from all our products, we are implementing a new, free and cum-pulsary rape service!
I'm here for your first session.

Unfortunate Customer:Bubububububut...butbutubu...

Ubisoft VP:I am aware this may seem an unorthodox method of improving your user experience. But don't worry, to ensure the highest possible standard of experience, I'm going to use lube.

#zzzzzzip#

Now bend over...

As ever, the Pirates will laugh, the Publisher will flail and the Customer gets screwed.
Bravo Ubisoft.

God's Clown:
Still a really crappy idea. What if I go on vacation or something to a place with no internet connect, what would I do then!

Enjoy your vacation maybe?

Anyway, it would be nice to just for once see gamers actually not buying a game they say they're going to boycott because of DRM. To clarify: no matter how much you guys are bitching about it Ass Creed 2 is gonna be a top seller and the publisher will get the message that DRM works. Again...

JeanLuc761:

What about the people who want to travel, or have an intermittent internet connection (lookin at Australia).

It's extremely unfair for those people and there literally is no benefit for having it.

If you want to travel, surely the reason you are doing so isn't just to look at the same computer screen in a different location? As for Australia suffering intermittence, it seems Ubisoft answered that. Not ideal I know.

There is benefit, it literally stops the piracy if each game has to be "verified" by Ubisoft servers. Additionally, if I recall correctly they stated you could play the game from any computer as a consequence. I'm not entirely clued up on that one though.

Woodsey:

I think you'd be surprised at the number of people who have PCs specifically for gaming, which they don't connect to the internet.

EDIT: Even if your PC is connected, a great number of people suffer patchy connections that flicker on and off every 15 minutes.

In those circumstances this will indeed be bad news, however unfortunate it is there isn't enough of these individuals to not have this particular method, as evidence by the choice to implement.

Units sold: Units online for previous Ubisoft games as well as market research have presented less of a net loss than if not implementing. A shame, but that's the way enterprises work.

Dark Templar:

And while eating it. Oh and if the tree that leaf came from dies you lose your apple.

If the leaf goes back onto the apple, you just have to brush it off again.

I think if the tree died it will be far beyond the need for the farmer to ask you to brush the leaf off and allow you to eat the apple with or without the leaf.

fix-the-spade:
Ubisoft VP:Greetings valued customer what valued customer, to aleviate recent piracy issues, as well as to make sure that you get the best possible experience from all our products, I'm here to rape you!
Unfortunate Customer:Bubububububut...butbutubu...

Sometimes, a joke will be made, that causes an uproarious belly laughter.

This is one of those times.

Random Bobcat:
There is benefit, it literally stops the piracy if each game has to be "verified" by Ubisoft servers. Additionally, if I recall correctly they stated you could play the game from any computer as a consequence. I'm not entirely clued up on that one though.

Bit of a news flash for you. Crackers are smart. Almost all of them have day jobs where they make enough money to buy all the games they want. They see cracking these games as a challenging puzzle. They will absolutely LOVE cracking Assassin's Creed 2.

Spore had a similar "Must be connected" DRM (it wasn't nearly as draconian as this, but I digress). It was cracked and released to the web a week before it was released on the street.

All DRM does is cause problems for legitimate consumers. This is the worst idea in the history of DRM.

Random Bobcat:

JeanLuc761:

What about the people who want to travel, or have an intermittent internet connection (lookin at Australia).

It's extremely unfair for those people and there literally is no benefit for having it.

If you want to travel, surely the reason you are doing so isn't just to look at the same computer screen in a different location? As for Australia suffering intermittence, it seems Ubisoft answered that. Not ideal I know.

Woodsey:

And while eating it. Oh and if the tree that leaf came from dies you lose your apple.

If the leaf goes back onto the apple, you just have to brush it off again.

I think if the tree died it will be far beyond the need for the farmer to ask you to brush the leaf off and allow you to eat the apple with or without the leaf.

In all my Escapist posts, I have never talked about a tree, leaf, or apple.

Mis-quote me thinks.

Hmmm. So it is as bad as we've been told, but not to worry, because it's not bad in UbiShaft's eyes. The boycott remains, I shall not buy any UbiSoft games from here-on-in.

I challenge ANYONE to tell me how this will reduce Piracy. ANYONE!

Pirated copies will be cracked and likely won't have to check in with any servers anywhere. The ONLY way you will be affected by this is if you actually have an uncracked copy!

Woodsey:

In all my Escapist posts, I have never talked about a tree, leaf, or apple.

Mis-quote me thinks.

Read it again now, the post went haywire for me. You not appearing as quoted, my post disappearing full stop, blah.

It should be fine now.

One point they haven't mentioned is the problem of support. Eventually they're going to have so many servers letting people play games that they're going to have to retire some games to make room for more. Look at X-Box Live (not 360 Live) being put to bed permanently less than a decade after it launched. At some point in the future, they're going to decide that pretty much everyone has finished with AC2 and retire the server which lets you play. Then you will have nothing to show for your $50. Let me clarify that:

THIS GAME WILL CEASE TO EXIST IN LIKELY LESS THAN A DECADE. HOPE YOU FINISH IT BEFORE THEN.

Unless you pirate it that is, in that case of course you won't have to worry about anything except the fact that you're a very very naughty person.

Personally I'm so disgusted with this whole thing I don't even want to pirate it much less play it.

I fail to see the reasoning behind it.
It's almost as if they WANT to see the game flop on PC so they can cry,point fingers at pirates and decide not to make games for PC anymore.

I'm FAR from being an expert in the domain,but this is NOT good business practice.
A bunch of first year marketing students who know nothing of gaming could make better decisions!

I used to be one of those people. Those people who just assumed everyone could have decent internet.

I recently moved out into Rural USA. No people, cheap homes (turn of the century farm houses), cheap utilities, cheap food, no people, a weekly excuse for fun with chainsaws. The only drawback is utter shit for internet. My choices are:

Dial-up, which would run around $70 a month, as it would be the only use the landline would get.
Satellite internet, runs about $150 a month with a $300-$400 installation/equipment fee. Extremely intermittent connection that drops down to below dial-up levels 70% of the time.
Cellular dial-up, $60 bucks a month for 5GB a month, (and the best part) $0.05 a megabyte after that. Intermittent and the average person will use a minimum of 7GB a month, making it cheaper to just buy two modems. Adding the type of bandwidth required by ubisoft's DRM would likely use at least another gig. If, say, every game you own started using it, you'd likely have to buy a third modem.

Most of the US doesn't have access to even the worst broadband (dsl). With the options available being skin to sampling different flavors of shit for the one that makes you gag the least.

Remember, What should frighten you isn't ubisoft using this as an excuse to pull out of the PC market, its every other publisher adopting their DRM scheme.

The only explanation for Ubisoft's sudden stupidity and complete lack of care that everyone pretty much hates them now, is that Ubisoft is intentionally trying to create the excuse to completely axe their PC gaming division.

Not that we'll be losing anything of value. Ubisoft is one of the crappiest publishing studios out there these days. It's rare that they put out anything good. Usually they just spend their time running Tom Clancy's name further into the ground.

Anyone who wants contact info just look in linkedin:
http://www.linkedin.com/companies/ubisoft

DRM has been nothing but poison, it doesn't stop pirates and it loses sales because the amount of bullshit the customer has to do to install and play the damn thing. It's better to just sell it and not worry about who pirates because you will still be making more than if you paid for DRM technologies and sold it as such.

This new scheme they have going on is quite insane. I know what they are trying to do, only allow access if it can contact the ubisoft servers, however a simple crack could run the game in a mode where it probably won't save your game but you can play it. Back to the NES days where saving was rendered impossible and all nighters turned into all dayers.

If anything the ones pirating will get pissed off at that fact alone and buy the game or just say screw it. Maybe ubi has something going here, but one thing it didn't take in consideration is the honest paying gamers.

More and more console gaming is growing and this is the exact reason, play on the PC and get fucked hard. If this turns out to be a total loss to ubi they will just stop making PC titles, game over.

I am so glad they clarified this...

Altorin:

Bit of a news flash for you. Crackers are smart. Almost all of them have day jobs where they make enough money to buy all the games they want. They see cracking these games as a challenging puzzle. They will absolutely LOVE cracking Assassin's Creed 2.

Spore had a similar "Must be connected" DRM (it wasn't nearly as draconian as this, but I digress). It was cracked and released to the web a week before it was released on the street.

All DRM does is cause problems for legitimate consumers. This is the worst idea in the history of DRM.

Don't even try and patronise me, I'm well aware there are individuals out there who's only purpose is to circumvent these failsafes.

These individuals also work for these companies implementing, said crackers are hired to aid them in creating new defences. Firewall manufacturers hire them, and now games companies do.

To find something succesful, many stages have to be trialed before hand. It's like saying my current relationship is destined to fail because all my previous ones have. There will be a point where DRM is succesful, and thus the issue (for the company, which is the only thing that matters in the grand scale) will be resolved.

Altorin:
This is one of those times.

That's good, but I had a serious point damnit!

Hashbrick:
If this turns out to be a total loss to ubi they will just stop making PC titles, game over.

And nothing of value was lost. I can't remember the last time Ubisoft put out a game that was actually worth the money I spent on it. I'm one of those "honest paying gamers" and all I can say is that I'm not going to be buying anything from Ubi, no matter what the platform. These guys can get fucked.

Random Bobcat:

Altorin:

Don't even try and patronise me, I'm well aware there are individuals out there who's only purpose is to circumvent these failsafes.

These individuals also work for these companies implementing, said crackers are hired to aid them in creating new defences. Firewall manufacturers hire them, and now games companies do.

To find something succesful, many stages have to be trialed before hand. It's like saying my current relationship is destined to fail because all my previous ones have. There will be a point where DRM is succesful, and thus the issue (for the company, which is the only thing that matters in the grand scale) will be resolved.

are you Skynet?

EA is following this trend with C&C4. Not going to buy either now and going to have all my college buddies boycott it.

Oh good, I thought that it was going to be ineffective and irritating and not irritating and ineffective.

Thanks for clearing that up Ubi

tossers...

looks like we're going to need another 1000 1 star reviews on Amazon. Let me know when you guys want to do it I'll throw one up.

Altorin:

are you Skynet?

How much fun I would have if I was.

Just to clarify as well, I don't necessarily agree with all this DRM malarkey, I just see it in the manufacturer's eyes. Additionally I have the benefit of it not affecting me, so I can judge based on information rather than emotion (which seems to be fuelling a LOT of posts in this).

The normal consumers that do get stained with this; chin up basically. You're part of the demographic that is judged to be sacrificable for the greater good (profit margin).

If pirates didn't exist this wouldn't. If car thiefs didn't, I wouldn't have a garage. Don't hate the players, hate the game.

Single player games requiring an internet to play at all time. Any one else see something horribly wrong with this? I don't give a shit what they say, that sentence should never be said.

OK, line in the sand time. This is utterly ridiculous. I was looking foreward to both ACII and Splinter Cell:Conviction. now, not a chance. I find it unbelievable that when more and more people are buying gaming laprops ubisoft announces that all of their future games will be unplayable on the move. Morons.

Nope. Still a retarded idea. This won't stop pirates, because they can't play a pirated game on something like that, so it only effects the legitimate purchasers. It just makes more people want to pirate it and less people likely to legitimately purchase it. What idiots.

I don't give a damn. If for ANY reason I can't play a SINGLE PLAYER GAME, other than buggy hardware, a game I PAID FOR, I'm simply not going to buy it. Simple as that.

Again, I wanted to buy that game on day one, or at least the same week. Instead, I'm just NOT going to buy it.

Davrel:
Can anyone explain to me how these measures will prevent piracy? (or at least explain Ubisoft's logic)

Give it a couple of weeks after launch and there's almost guaranteed to be a workable crack out there, rendering the whole process redundant.

I'm not saying I'll pirate the game, but I'm certainly not buying it now.

Couple of weeks? I'd be surprised if it takes people more than a week. Two, tops.

I'd like to know if the number of sales change with this new DRM method.

It would be great if it were a lot lower than what Ubisoft is expecting.

Random Bobcat:
There will be a point where DRM is succesful, and thus the issue (for the company, which is the only thing that matters in the grand scale) will be resolved.

Well, so far they've tried hardware and software approaches. Both were quickly circumvented. Console piracy is also pretty rampant (and pathetically easy), but no one admits it.

Thing is, the current state of piracy is built around easy cracks that involve editing only a few lines of code. With come copy/paste here and there. The harder the copy protection, the harder they work. But to steal another's metaphor, its the frog (customer) in boiling water (DRM) with the pirates sitting in a boat. Every time the publishers turn up the heat (add more drm) the pirates only have to make small modifications to their boat (tactics).

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.