GoldenEye 007 Returns Through Perfect Dark Remake

Pages 1 2 NEXT

GoldenEye 007 Returns Through Perfect Dark Remake

The N64's GoldenEye 007 won't be coming back in an official capacity anytime soon, but Xbox Live Arcade's upcoming Perfect Dark remake will give a taste of what it would be like.

Current Microsoft Game Studios creative director Ken Lobb, who once worked on 1997 N64 shooter GoldenEye 007 while at Nintendo, has indicated that the game is not a property he has any say in bringing back as a remake. Instead, he's been working on a remake of its spiritual sequel, the N64's Perfect Dark, which will include a little of James Bond's DNA, though not the kind he donates to saucily-named harlots.

The designers of Perfect Dark were able to add weapons and multiplayer levels from GoldenEye 007 when it released on the N64, and Ken Lobb confirmed to Kotaku that the same will be true for its Xbox Live remake. These multiplayer levels will be the Facility, Temple, and Complex; names that bring back some great memories. Weapons were not specifically listed, though they likely will include a version of the one-hit-kill Golden Gun and the Klobb, which is notorious for being a piece of junk but really fun to kill people with anyway.

The remake of Perfect Dark is coming to Xbox Live in March and will be priced at 800 Microsoft Points. While the game's multiplayer was extremely fun back in the day thanks to its plethora of maps, modes, and weapons, I'm wondering how well it will hold up today. $10 is not a lot of money for a fun multiplayer game, so even if the gameplay ends up feeling slow compared to today's fast-paced shooters it could be fun for a little fragging. Including GoldenEye nostalgia doesn't hurt, either.

ah yes, golden eye was fun, but its 13 years old, and this game looks like it came out the next year, its like new super mario brothers wii, looks better but so much has happened in gaming since then that it isn't worth it.

and the fact that they try using nostalgia to pursue gamer instead of showing what the story is about is probably a bad sign.

It's about bloody time they mentioned this game again.

I've been excited for this game since it was announced. Finally, a reason to play my Xbox 360 again.

It might not be good as Goldeneye going on the XBLA, but it's still a good idea.

Just wondering, will there be online multiplayer for this game?

Ah the Klobb... I loved killing people with that thing. Though 9 times out of 10 I would fail epicly...

March can't come soon enough :D

Well if I wanna play the real Golden Eye. I'll tell you what I'll do!
Play it on my Bloody N64!

Yessssssss.

I liked Perfect Dark. Perfect Dark Zero wasn't bad either, just not as good as its predecessor (follow-up in continuity?).

Green Tentacle:
It might not be good as Goldeneye going on the XBLA, but it's still a good idea.

Of course it will! I can't imagine otherwise.

They will learn to fear my Lap-Top!

comadorcrack:
Well if I wanna play the real Golden Eye. I'll tell you what I'll do!
Play it on my Bloody N64!

Agreed. (gets out his N64) anybody for splitscreen?

As a ps3 user I couldn't care less.

I have an odd feeling that booting up Goldeneye on an N64 would make me realize that it hasn't aged well. And that it would SUCK.

I played Perfect Dark yesterday. I didn't realized how much things changed. It was still fun though.

For the first time I am actually jealous of Xbox owners... for the first time...I think I wish I had a xbox =(

Or at least my n64 perfect dark cartridge back.

Er, is it just me or do the graphics still look pretty shitty?

Also, I only played the original game recently and it has not aged well. Though I'm sure it was amazing at the time, its very mediocre by today's standards.

In before 90% of Xbox users call it crap because it isn't Halo or Gears of War.

Onyx Oblivion:
I have an odd feeling that booting up Goldeneye on an N64 would make me realize that it hasn't aged well. And that it would SUCK.

I did it, and it was fun, but there was a lot of nostalgia affecting my brain at the time.

Irridium:
Ah the Klobb... I loved killing people with that thing. Though 9 times out of 10 I would fail epicly...

hahaha, every time I picked up a klobb I would yell
"It's KLOBBering time!!!"

Tom Goldman:

Onyx Oblivion:

I did it, and it was fun, but there was a lot of nostalgia affecting my brain at the time.

By nostalgia do you, perhaps, mean alcohol? ;)

This is what they should do.

Remake good crap for the "Yoof" by adding some good graphics and online support. There, a great game in retro circles is brought back.

Give me Money Penny!

OT: I'll probably give it a try. I'm an age old fan of 007, I might need my fix of something similar soon

Facility (or Felicity as I believe it was called in the N64 original) was always a part of Perfect Dark, so it's not really any indication that there's any plans to remake Goldeneye. The reason a few of the Goldeneye multiplayer maps were included in Perfect Dark is because PD is both the spiritual successor to GE and many of the same people who made GE were part of the PD development team.

AC10:

Irridium:

hahaha, every time I picked up a klobb I would yell
"It's KLOBBering time!!!"

Thank god I'm not the only one who says that!

I remember whenever I would play the game with friends, there was always that one bastard who selected Oddjob when no one was paying attention, got the klobb, and ran around pissing everyone off.

Good times, good times...

Here comes a nerdy moment...

Assuming this is a complete remake, which I ope to all heaven it is because I'll buy a new 360 for online Perfect Dark. The returning 007 weapons would be the PP7, DD44, MP5, Klobb, Uzi, AR33, AK47 and RCP-90.

I really, really hope this is going to be a faithful to the point of slavery remake, it would behugely disappointing to find that they missed out any of the play modes from Perfect Dark (and there were two metric tons of play modes).
Does the world know if this is a full remake or just the multiplayer section or what?

Although all I really want is the Magsec so I can run around going pewpewpew!

Meh. Never liked this game....PDZ was a thousand times better IMHO.

Isnt there a Golden Eye game on the D.S?

fix-the-spade:
Here comes a nerdy moment...

Assuming this is a complete remake, which I ope to all heaven it is because I'll buy a new 360 for online Perfect Dark. The returning 007 weapons would be the PP7, DD44, MP5, Klobb, Uzi, AR33, AK47 and RCP-90.

I really, really hope this is going to be a faithful to the point of slavery remake, it would behugely disappointing to find that they missed out any of the play modes from Perfect Dark (and there were two metric tons of play modes).
Does the world know if this is a full remake or just the multiplayer section or what?

Although all I really want is the Magsec so I can run around going pewpewpew!

It's a full remake. Up to four player split-screen (which so few games do these days), campaign, CO-OP campaign, online multiplayer. Gonna be teh sex.

While Prefect Dark is a good is theory it just won't have the awesome success that GoldenEye had.

JugglerPanda:
It's about bloody time they mentioned this game again.

I've been excited for this game since it was announced. Finally, a reason to play my Xbox 360 again.

It has been gaes since anything was heard. Be intresting to see it in action once more!

If im right, the Klobb was a gun that could be unlocked on the shooting ranges in perfect dark, so its likely to show up there,

On another note, WOO Perfect dark for only 800 pts? thats a deal to me :D

Xzi:
It's a full remake. Up to four player split-screen (which so few games do these days), campaign, CO-OP campaign, online multiplayer. Gonna be teh sex.

Yes, but what about Carrington Institute (aka equipment Training, target range, VR combat training, vehicle, weapon and character database), counter operative, bot challenges and the like.

They need EVERYTHING or it won't be enough.

I loved this game back in the day. At the time it was one of those first person shooters that had everything. I remember the campaign seeming like it went on forever. The first time I played it I went in spoiler-free with no idea what the game was about (and expecting something with Goldeneye-level realism) so when the aliens first appeared I was really confused.

I can't decide whether to wait and buy this or dig out my old N64.

Heh, I haven't thought about the Klobb for years. If you hit what you were aiming at, the game probably glitched. :)

Irridium:

Sho nuff. Klobbering someone was like a badge of honour at my house.

Lazarus Long:

Irridium:

Same here. Unless the killer was using Oddjob, since whoever uses that little bastard is a douche.

gee i'll just dig my n64 out and play it , yeah its an ok game but golden eye was better , even found cheats for it ... on supercheats.com ... hopefully the would get over the legal issues and give it an update and put it on god ( games on demand )

swaki:
ah yes, golden eye was fun, but its 13 years old, and this game looks like it came out the next year, its like new super mario brothers wii, looks better but so much has happened in gaming since then that it isn't worth it.

and the fact that they try using nostalgia to pursue gamer instead of showing what the story is about is probably a bad sign.

The Original Perfect Dark for the N64 has everything mentioned in the article: The Klobb, the Facility, Complex, and whatnot levels. From what I can tell they aren't "adding things in for nostalgia sake". It's a direct port with updated graphics and runs a lot smoother on today's consoles. For the n64 the game was choppy at best. Just a bit too ambitious for it's time.
Besides the story was a pile of garbage - trust me, it's all about the gameplay with this game, specifically the multiplayer. It used AI bots very well and a fantastic stats / medal tracking system. It also had a fully customizable multiplayer interface, down to what weapons would spawn in what areas in every level.

Besides, why else do people make remakes if not for nostalgia sake? There have been direct sequels to the Perfect Dark series over the years, so it's not like they haven't tried new things or taken the series in different directions. This is just a chance for the developers to go back to the beginning and fix some limitations from a hardware standpoint.
For $10 it's a steal of a deal. Perfect Dark for the 64 sells for about 14.95 at most used games stores around here, so I think they're being pretty generous with the price tag for the content being received.

Irridium:

Lazarus Long:

Same here. Unless the killer was using Oddjob, since whoever uses that little bastard is a douche.

Anyone who picked Oddjob could expect a very quick truce between the other players. Real men play Jaws.

Green Tentacle:

*Slaps Green across the face* Read the full article (including videos), THEN ask questions. I hate to sound like a douche, but nothing makes you look more foolish than asking a question that's already been answered in the article to which you're responding.

Anywho... I always liked Perfect Dark more than Goldeneye to be honest. Maybe it's just the very sci-fi plot mixed with really good atmosphere and music that pulled me in, but whatever the case I got a lot more gameplay time out of Dark than I did with Bond.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here