Richard Garriot Says "His" Game is Yet to Come

Richard Garriot Says "His" Game is Yet to Come

Richard Garriott is dead serious about making Sweet @$! Poker the best Texas Hold 'Em game on Facebook, but says what really motivates him is the chance to create new "Ultima-esque" games in the future.

We zinged Garriott a little bit last week over his involvement with Portalarium and, more specifically, Sweet @$! Poker, a Texas Hold 'Em card game currently running on Facebook. Setting aside the fact that the world needs more Texas Hold 'Em like it needs a hole in the head, what was one of the most famed game designers in the world doing spending his time making a Facebook card game?

Making it the best Facebook card game he possibly could, apparently. "Just go compare the qualitative aspects of our poker game to the qualitative aspects of the ones that are already kicking the butts of every game they've ever played from a financial standpoint," he told Kotaku. "And I believe it will be very clear from a little inspection why ours is tangibly easier to use, faster to load , faster to install, smoother graphics, everything."

The man clearly takes this game seriously. In fact, Garriott believes that casual gaming, which he describes as games that anyone can play at any time, is poised to dominate the industry and he sees Portalarium as an opportunity to help pioneer that evolution.

"If your favorite game could have been delivered in a way to where you didn't have to make an up-front investment, you didn't have to read the instructions, you could just sit down and play it; it was available just by somebody sending you a link; and only after you played it and were hooked on it would you then have to pay for it, I guarantee you that would be a game you would find even better than your current favorite game," he said. "And yet you just would have met the criteria of what I think is important in this casual gamer framework."

But it's also apparent that Sweet @$! Poker is just the first step on a longer journey. Garriott said the game is so much better than its competitors "because of the foundation we decided to build upon," that being the cross-platform Portalarium Player software, which proved that high-quality games could be made and launched through sites like Facebook. But "his" game, he added, is yet to come.

"Today we're talking about the Portalarium. We have yet to announce quote-unquote my game," he said. "What motivates me is to go back and make Ultima-esque, familiar Ultima-esque games. But I believe the right place is to do that on this platform."

We can only hope that when it does come time to announce quote-unquote "his" game, the words Ultima Underworld 3 will figure prominently. Are you reading this, Richard?

Dear Mr. Gar... British: We'll talk when you get it on Linux. I don't touch Facebook games without it.

Ultima Online: Facebook Edition...

I called it first...

To think how far one can fall... *sigh*...

I have always liked Lord British, at least he has had interesting ideas...even if they don't always turn out well, but i think he is a little entrepreneurial for his own good sometimes. If it means i get more Ultima goodness though, i can live with it.

Garriott still hasn't grasped the fact that having your heyday as a game designer in the C-64 era has little bearing on making modern games.

Plus the fact that I can't shake the feeling that if I buy anything he develops, I'll be funding a new dungeon under his house, or a trip into space, or some similar descent into Michael Jackson style infantilism.

Shit, someone call the looney bin, he's escaped again!

Bugger, how does he keep doing that?

BehattedWanderer:

because he is lord british he is allowed outside the looney bin at tea time

Newsflash - nobody gives a damn about you since you lost your last game. Yes, claim that Tabula Rasa wasn't your game. But somehow, your name got into the title of "Richard Garriot's Tabula Rasa".

Well. Certainly has the cash!

At least he is trying, perhaps, one day Lord British

ravensshade:

BehattedWanderer:

You would think that we would have learned by now to lock the gate, at least, and leave him to wander the garden with the "Welcome to the Empire" banner hanging over it.

ravensshade:

BehattedWanderer:

It helps that said bin is run by Dr. British.

Yeah I would love a new ultima game, as long as it was better than #6. Or was it #7? Some game people say is the best ultima game ever, but I mean, I'm baking bread in it? What the Avatar has to get by doing odd jobs for petty cash? Give me a break.

Lets see... Garriot, a man who managed to fuck up a marvelous concept of "Tabula Rasa" and than traveled to space to deliver a "digitized DNA" of the best TR players... Ugh... I think he was born bat-shit crazy, therefore he sometimes comes up with good concepts but can not keep his insanity from destroying them.

Andy Chalk:

We can only hope that when it does come time to announce quote-unquote "his" game, the words Ultima Underworld 3 will figure prominently.

Unfortunately unlikely. "Ultima" belongs to EA, and considering Garriotts history with EA, and EAs most recent abuse of the term* it's not going to happen. I share your dream though.

And you missed a +t in the Title.

* disclaimer: game has nothing in common with previous Ultimas

RedMenace:
Lets see... Garriot, a man who managed to fuck up a marvelous concept of "Tabula Rasa" and than traveled to space to deliver a "digitized DNA" of the best TR players... Ugh... I think he was born bat-shit crazy, therefore he sometimes comes up with good concepts but can not keep his insanity from destroying them.

Including this guy:

Richard Garriot is so awesome <3 Keep on rocking!

Does anyone else think that Richard Garriot looks like Dad from Fallout 3 in that picture?

Kalezian:

I called it first...

I want it first... and most.

I cannot play MMOs of any sort. Star Wars [though I hope KOTAR is amazing], EverQuest 1,2 & PS2, Age of Conan, City of Heroes/Villians, Free Realms, WOW, etc... I have tried a ton of these games and I have not ever enjoyed one even a fraction as much as Ultima Online [back in the day 2D] on a role playing PvP shard.

The graphics do not have to be much and I do not care that I have never played a game on Facebook, this will bring me into the fold.

I want this to happen so much.

cool, someone with a history in the industry embracing the future of games, casual. I personally see it as a great thing, the casual market can make a butt load of cash that can free up resources to allow for riskier ideas

I'd like to see more Ultima on some levels, but the last game was a train wreck IMO, and Ultima Online did a lot to kill it for me. What's more, one way or another the storyline was actually finished off.

I'd be willing to give Richard Garriot another chance for sure, but largely due to my fond memories of games like Ultima III, IV, V, VI, and VII. Once he hit Ultima 8 he started to turn things into an action game, and to me it just really failed to work. Ascension had some neat ideas but was poorly designed and implemented I thought. Looking at that game, and the fact that things like "Tabula Rasa" continued to evolve in the same direction (away from the more stat based RPing) I'm thinking the Richard Garriot of old is dead and I'm not sure if he could come up with something like those greats anymore.

Still, I'm willing to give him one more chance. Truthfully if anyone could potentially produce a better RPG than the ones your seeing from Bethesda and Bioware, it's him. He just needs to go back to his old school.

Man, I miss the days of "Origin", "Sir Tech", "New World Computing" and others. That was the golden age of CRPGs (Ultima, Wizardry, and Might and Magic).

CopperBoom:

Kalezian:

I called it first...

I want it first... and most.

I cannot play MMOs of any sort. Star Wars [though I hope KOTAR is amazing], EverQuest 1,2 & PS2, Age of Conan, City of Heroes/Villians, Free Realms, WOW, etc... I have tried a ton of these games and I have not ever enjoyed one even a fraction as much as Ultima Online [back in the day 2D] on a role playing PvP shard.

The graphics do not have to be much and I do not care that I have never played a game on Facebook, this will bring me into the fold.

I want this to happen so much.

considering that Civilization is being put on Facebook, I wouldnt count on Ultima NOT being put on it.

seriously, even if it isnt the game Lord British wants to make, think of the income that he could gain just from having a Fb UO.

He fell so far.....

Also Tabula Rasa got the world record for "MMO to shut down the fastest", I'm not joking.

Didn't even last for a year and a half which is pretty fucking poor by MMO standards.

Also, the guy's mental. I think it's time to stop trying and book yourself into a mental institution

Andy Chalk:
We can only hope that when it does come time to announce quote-unquote "his" game, the words Ultima Underworld 3 will figure prominently. Are you reading this, Richard?

AMEN. I mean, it's nice to try to innovate, but sometimes more dungeoncrawling is what a game really needs. And given what he said about not needing to read a manual but just picking up the game and going does not inspire me much confidence that UW3 is coming off the presses any time soon...

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.