Bungie Might Make Another Halo Someday

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Bungie Might Make Another Halo Someday

Halo: Reach is the last planned Halo title from Bungie for now, but the studio won't rule out a return to the franchise someday in the future.

With this year's Halo: Reach, Bungie will be - in its own words - finished making Halo games for the Xbox 360. There are no more games planned in the series, and given that Bungie expects the 360 to be only halfway through its life cycle, that means that the series will be dormant for five more years at the very least. But as the developers ramp up for the game's May beta, Bungie community manager Brian Jarrard told CVG that thinking about Reach as the series' ultimate swan song might be a mistake: never say never.

"You know, it might be premature to say we'll never ever, ever make a Halo game again. We sort of have a little special place for Halo in our hearts. But for the foreseeable future, [Halo: Reach] is it."

For the moment, though, Jarrard added that the studio was approaching Reach as if it were the series' final send-off. "There is a degree of pressure there but I also think that inspires our team. If we don't ever come back to Halo again, we better damn well make sure that our last game is the best one ever. Let's set that bar really high and at least leave our fans something really special."

It's not hard to see where the man is coming from. Bungie may well and truly intend to leave Halo behind and lay the series to rest for the moment, but any time a developer ever says "We will never do X" or "We will always do Y," it just sets up a nasty contradiction waiting to happen.

At any rate, if Bungie does make more Halo games, they won't be for a while. So let's enjoy them as they come.

Truth be told, I hope they do take a break and explore some other concepts. I enjoyed the main Halo trilogy but I'm really getting the feeling that the series has reached its limit, at least for now.

Of course they will come back to it...makes money.

Although be nice to see Bungie do something else for a while.

All I have to say is "Well DUH!" Seriously, who is going to give up a cash cow? Would be like Square stopping the FF series or Nintendo ditching Mario games.
If anyone honestly believed they were ending the Halo series then please, read the name and address their caretaker had tattooed on their arm and return them to their homes before they walk into oncoming traffic.

It'll be nice to see what they'd do aside from Halo. Honestly, the series has saturated the market for quite some time. Give people the chance to miss it a bit before you bring it back.

If there is one thing I have learned growing up in the 90s, it's that there is always the possiblity of a sequel...apparently even if it involves Apogee.

Oh god. Not more.

I want to see them make more Marathon dammit! That game series is too good to pass up continuing!

I hate to say it, but I wish Bungie would just let it die. I mean, with all the frikkin sequels these days, I'm honestly willing to suffer if it means that I might see something new with my gaming for once.

It's nice to see a developer who knows when enough is enough. I wonder what they'll do next.

Discrodia:
I hate to say it, but I wish Bungie would just let it die. I mean, with all the frikkin sequels these days, I'm honestly willing to suffer if it means that I might see something new with my gaming for once.

To their credit, that's what it looks like they ARE doing. They aren't planning anything after Reach, they're just saying "maybe in the future, we'll come back to it some day."

O god no! Unless its a short Arcade game where you play some nasty virus that painfully kills Master Chief it needs to be shelved for good!

I bet they'll come back to it eventually, but I hope they make some more good stuff before then. I want more Marathon!

Good, I'd like to see them take up other properties for now, and giving Halo a break is a good move. Come back to it in three years, then people will be ready to have a new Halo adventure begin.

I would not be surprised if in two years we find out that Halo 4 is in development. There are a lot of Halo fans out there who would like to have another adventure as Master Chief.

Logically a fourth game where Master Chief is found and has to fight some epic battle to return to earth sounds about right. I guess only time will tell. Now I need to go back to waiting for God of War 3 to come out...

I would love to see what Bungie does after Halo. Would be interesting.
Since they're independent, perhaps they'll do something for the PS3.

Also, didn't Capcom say they were interested in working with Bungie?
Wonder what they could do together.

John Funk:

"You know, it might be premature to say we'll never ever, ever make a Halo game again. We sort of have a little special place for money in our hearts.

I fixed your news article for you, Funk.

OT: Deep down I knew this would happen. Because it's just not good business to keep to your word sometimes.

anyone surprised bungie will make more halo, say aye.

exactly.

Hmm... the "Halo Trilogy" has 5 games (they arnt cannon, but its using the same franchise) and there might be a sixth, anyone else hear the cash cow being milked?

Really, make more marathon games, those where awesome.

They're not ruling more Marathon after their next project either but I don't think they'll do anything unless they remake it, the last game ended with the end of the universe, it's kind of hard to tell about stuff after that, and after Reach I will have officially had my fill of prequels for a while.

The DSM:
Hmm... the "Halo Trilogy" has 5 games (they arnt cannon, but its using the same franchise) and there might be a sixth, anyone else hear the cash cow being milked?

Really, make more marathon games, those where awesome.

EH lots of franchises are guilty of it. Plus 5 games over 9 years isn't too bad. This gen alone we had cod2-3-4-waw-mw2(plus their early spinoffs of 2 for the original xbox ps2).

So basically they're saying.

"We are finished with Halo forever, unless our new series bombs. In which case we'll go back to raking it in with more Halo

Can't fault the business plan there. The question is, with Bungie stopped will Microsoft allow it's biggest earner to sit dormant, or will it farm it to some hack developer that'll turn out crap games and demolish the franchise within those five years leaving Bungie to pick up a wilting husk of a franchise with no way back from their bombing new series?

I wonder...

Well, they've put the Chief to bed, and now they're rapping up some other aspects of his story.
When he rocks around to earth about 200 years from the end of Halo 3 and is heavily outdated and overwhelmed, I'll embrace the re-boot of the series by actually buying the platform needed to play it.

The cash-cow alarm is ringing. I imagine they will soon be spamming up the games market with Guitar Hero Halo, Master Chief Racing, Halo Poker and maybe even Tiger Woods PGA Halo 2011-eternity.

Furburt:
Oh god. Not more.

I want to see them make more Marathon dammit! That game series is too good to pass up continuing!

Perhaps they could make a remake of Marathon?

Well, duh! Of course they're going to continue making it, it makes money! They're not gonna stop in the slightest, I think they're pulling this whole "it's gonna be the last one" just to get more people to buy it!

JeanLuc761:
Truth be told, I hope they do take a break and explore some other concepts. I enjoyed the main Halo trilogy but I'm really getting the feeling that the series has reached its limit, at least for now.

Beating a Dead Horse.

OT: I hope they don't make anymore. I didn't "Hate" halo but i don't see why its so big to this day.

The DSM:

Not as much as Final Fantasy, Call of Duty, the EA Sports Games or anything Nintendo has ever done.

Besides, the Halo Trilogy has three games, with Wars, ODST and Reach being spin offs. I don't think anyone would count Chocobo Tales or Crystal Defenders as part of the main Final Fantasy Series, so why would the other Halo games?

This is bungie we're talking about. Beyond than stagnating gaming as a whole with Halo, they have accomplished nothing else.

If they attempt to detach themselves from the halo tit, they're more than likely not going to be anything but the next defunct developer.

I think it will be interesting to see how successful Halo is without Bungie at the helm. I would imagine Bungie's return to really be contingent on both their choice AND the success of their replacements. Should the next Halo makers do well with the series, we may not hear from Bungie again as far as Halo goes.. but if they bomb, I wouldn't be shocked to see Bungie back after only one game (if MS's cash reserves have anything to say about it anyway).

And really.. why does everyone seem to think we won't be seeing more of Halo just because Bungie won't be working on it? MS fully owns the property now, as well as creating their own team to make use of it. If anything we'll be seeing more Halo than ever before.

Hopeless Bastard:
This is bungie we're talking about. Beyond than stagnating gaming as a whole with Halo, they have accomplished nothing else.

If they attempt to detach themselves from the halo tit, they're more than likely not going to be anything but the next defunct developer.

So Bungie puts out Halo games and a lot of people buy them, then other companies (aka NOT Bungie) virtually clone the Halo format and (according to some people) flood the market.. and this is Bungie's fault? Huh?

A-ha! I knew it! *points at Bungie* I knew you wouldn't give it up so easily!

StriderShinryu:

Hopeless Bastard:

So Bungie puts out Halo games and a lot of people buy them, then other companies (aka NOT Bungie) virtually clone the Halo format and (according to some people) flood the market.. and this is Bungie's fault? Huh?

Yep. Bungie correctly identified the desires of the mainstream. Which are repackaged old concepts as new innovation coupled with hidden "enhancements" to make the game easier (auto-aim, regenerating health, etc) and providing continual "epic" payoff for extremely simple tasks. Bungie jumped off a bridge and landed in a pile of money and everyone else followed.

I'm pretty sure the only Halo I've ever liked was Halo 1. You know, the one that was like Quake...

We all know they will make more games for the franchise, it's like the Rolling stones going on a farewell tour and ACTUALLY meaning it.

I mean they've never made anything successful but this game series,we all know that if they make something not Halo it will sell like hotcakes because all the fan boys will eat up anything they make, even if the new game series sucked.

JeanLuc761:

I agree. The first was decently good. And I appreciate that. But the series (like many others) is getting stale. It's time for some fresh ideas.

I kind of wish Bungie had kept to making awesome games for Macs though.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here