DSi XL Stomps on North America March 28

Pages 1 2 NEXT

North America has less than a month to prepare for Nintendo's large-and-in-charge second version of the DSi.

The massive surge of information Nintendo released today includes such goodies as a new trailer for Super Mario Galaxy 2 and a release date for Metroid: Other M, as well as the pricing and release information for the Nintendo DSi XL in North America. This freakishly large version of the DSi will hit retailers on March 28, for the low, low price of $189.99.

Which is not really a low price at all, and while somewhat affordable, feels right on the edge of what Nintendo could have reasonably charged for the product. The DSi XL is a mutant of a system, with screens 93% larger than the DS Lite that also have a wider viewing angle, supposedly so the entire family can gather around to watch you level up your Jirachi. To go along with the gargantuan screens is the DSi XL's much bigger stylus which is basically like a fountain pen.

A few applications come pre-loaded on the DSi XL, including Brain Age Express: Arts & Letters, Brain Age Express: Math, Photo Clock, and Flipnote Studio. As with the DSi, the DSi XL will have a built-in web browser.

The system will launch in two colors: [Ron] Burgundy and Bronze. The DSi XL launched in Japan under the name DSi LL in three colors: Wine Red, Natural White, and Dark Brown. While Wine Red could easily be called Burgundy, Bronze sounds like a new color altogether. Maybe it'll be shiny?

The title made me think of two things, Godzilla and nintendo as a giant pissing on Microsoft and saying this, "AHAHAHAHAAHA What's the matter Microsoft? Why don't you enter the hand held market, or are you too soft?"

Ya know I might be tempted to pick up a handheld one of these days. You know when they stop putting out a new version every other month.

The first one was already released?

I was 'lucky' enough to be chosen by a Nintendo representive in a mini-demonstration at my local Gamestation to preview it, and my lasting comment to the crowd and rep was, "y'know this new DS is the exact same size as my 2000 model PSOne I have at home!"

It is giant compared to the other DS models, but frankly Nintendo should have just stuck with either slimming the model or adding extra features; the screen is fine s it is. Also 'wine' is a horrible colour.

Dammit, I still need a new DS.
My old one's top screen is now broken, and I need a new one before HeartGold and SoulSilver comes out

But FF13 stands in my way......

hehe, well, soon you can have the WS version! Go go go! lol

My DS "collection" will be happy.

So is this the DSi 2? for which nintendo gave away the DEV kits couple of days ago?

Azmael Silverlance:
So is this the DSi 2? for which nintendo gave away the DEV kits couple of days ago?

Nope, that's a completely new system... supposedly. This was revealed already, just no info on price or release until now.

Why...
The DSi was unnecessary enough and now... Just, just why!?!

I find it ironic how Satoru Iwata says that the iPad is just the IPhone except with a few new features.

Does Iwata even look at his products?

DSLite is good enough for me, I don't need these 18 other DS iterations with their increasingly useless features stacked ontop of on another.

If i were to decide i am to buy a handheld gaming device i would be mighty confused as to which one i should get. Even if i limited myself to a Nintendo. Hmm.

I actually sort of want this, if only because my colossal hands block enough of my DS' screen to annoy me, but it's not worth the price to me. Especially knowing we're only six months away from whatever the new DSi XL product is.

I thought the point of the hand-held games were to be portable? That mammoth wouldn't even fit in my pocket and to me that ruins the point.

Tom Goldman:

Azmael Silverlance:

Nope, that's a completely new system... supposedly. This was revealed already, just no info on price or release until now.

That sucks. What is this, the twentieth version of the original DS we've seen? Anyone who buys this is going to feel like an idiot when they release the DS2 later this year or early next year. I'll just wait on that to make my return to handheld gaming.

If Nintendo thinks they can make money on this, good for them. GOOOOO Capitalism! I'm still waiting for the DS that doesn't have screens, but that you plug into your TV.

gee i'd buy it but i hate the color choices , why no black , red and white and maybe blue ?

Rainboq:
The title made me think of two things, Godzilla and nintendo as a giant pissing on Microsoft and saying this, "AHAHAHAHAAHA What's the matter Microsoft? Why don't you enter the hand held market, or are you too soft?"

Kind of curious why you would get that kind of image considering MS has enough on its plate by being a huge hand in the PC market. The same reason Nintendo doesn't enter the PC market is why MS isn't in the handheld market, they've both tapped into a market that they are well established in and are going to continue in that vein as long as it keeps producing ridiculous sums of money.
Also with this silly size of a handheld I might as well just get one of those mini laptops, I'd get more function out of it for the bit more money that I'd have to spend on it.

Rednog:

Rainboq:

Kind of curious why you would get that kind of image considering MS has enough on its plate by being a huge hand in the PC market. The same reason Nintendo doesn't enter the PC market is why MS isn't in the handheld market, they've both tapped into a market that they are well established in and are going to continue in that vein as long as it keeps producing ridiculous sums of money.
Also with this silly size of a handheld I might as well just get one of those mini laptops, I'd get more function out of it for the bit more money that I'd have to spend on it.

I'm weird, what can I say?

handheld gaming to me is pretty.... meh, at the best of times. Don't wanna play games on a train full of stinky people.
Now they wanna make it bigger too.

Tom Goldman:

The system will launch in two colors: [Ron] Burgundy and Bronze. The DSi XL launched in Japan under the name DSi LL in three colors: Wine Red, Natural White, and Dark Brown. While Wine Red could easily be called Burgundy, Bronze sounds like a new color altogether. Maybe it'll be shiny?

Europe gets Wine Red and Dark Brown, though, weirdly, we are looking at a 5th Martch release date currently, which flies in the face of the usual gaming mentality of releasing things here sometime after America. Hopefully, it'll be because ours (Jap + Eur) are similar enough that they only have to translate everything, meaning stock availability is good for Easter/Summer.

Though, if this is true and the US release date really is 4 weeks later than Europe, this is an industry first.

IdealistCommi:
Dammit, I still need a new DS.
My old one's top screen is now broken, and I need a new one before HeartGold and SoulSilver comes out

But FF13 stands in my way......

Poke'Mon>androgyny

the handheld market is falling, we need an entirly new system, not a different psp or ds, either way, it still has the same blocky graphics as it did 3 versions before!

I still have my original DS ( the grey thick one ) i have no need for a new one.

However when the DS2 comes out i will upgrade to that.

I swear, Nintendo has never heard of birth control. they just keep popping out handhelds. If they're not careful, the Nintendo Uterus will be ruined forever. >.<

Hmm... I heard this system was going to sell for around $230. $190 sounds a lot more reasonable.

Still, I think I'm just going to stick with my original DSi.

Jeez, I've had enough with all the iterations. Just stick with the one and focus all your brainpower on infusing awesome into the DS2.

EnzoHonda:
If Nintendo thinks they can make money on this, good for them. GOOOOO Capitalism! I'm still waiting for the DS that doesn't have screens, but that you plug into your TV.

I don't know if I'd enjoy using a stylus on my 48" HDTV...

Xzi:

EnzoHonda:

I don't know if I'd enjoy using a stylus on my 48" HDTV...

Based on the increase in stylus size for this screen, how big would it be for a 48" screen???

OT: As I don't own a DS yet, is it worth buying one of these XL models? I really want to play HeartGold and Scribblenauts (plus anything else that takes my fancy) but I have no idea if it's worth it

squid5580:
Ya know I might be tempted to pick up a handheld one of these days. You know when they stop putting out a new version every other month.

I recommend the PSP-1000, the original big one (before it was cool to have big portable game systems), if you can find one anymore. They're pretty easy to hack personalize, and have more good games in the library then people give it credit for. Plus if you have a PS3, it's a great addition. Just ignore new models, for whatever system you're looking at. Always go for the original.

As much as I like Nintendo I really can't see a reason for this to exist. Sure the screens are bigger but...

I'm still on my DS Phat, and have been waiting for news on the LL/XL's release here in the west. I want to have a closer look at it first, but I'm thinking I'll probably prefer this over the regular version of the DSi.

However, I might just wait for their next-gen handheld...

JediMB:
I'm still on my DS Phat, and have been waiting for news on the LL/XL's release here in the west. I want to have a closer look at it first, but I'm thinking I'll probably prefer this over the regular version of the DSi.

However, I might just wait for their next-gen handheld...

This is pretty much my line of thought as well, right down to having the first-gen DS Phat. I'm guessing that the DS-II is at minimum a year away so it doesn't really seem necessary to go to the LL/XL, but on the other hand if it's going to be a longer period of time than that it might be worth it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.