Sony's Kevin Butler Calls Baseball MVP Talentless

Sony's Kevin Butler Calls Baseball MVP Talentless

Sony's hilarious ad guru Kevin Butler is at it again, this time in a commercial for MLB 10: The Show. American League MVP? Who's that?

My love for Sony ad spokesman Kevin Butler has been well documented by this point, so I don't think there's much point in me saying how awesome I think these commercials are - to the point where I'm actually writing news posts about commercials - but I'll do it anyway: I think these commercials are awesome, and the Kevin Butler character is brilliant.

This time around, Butler - as VP of Sony's Softball Team - is promoting Sony San Diego's MLB '10: The Show. The game's cover promptly features Minnesota Twins catcher Joe Mauer, the American League MVP, who is widely considered to be the best catcher in the game - and one of Major League Baseball's top sluggers - since his debut in 2006. The only problem is that Butler doesn't seem to know who Mauer is.

...or does he?

Please keep making these ads, Sony. I will be tremendously sad when you stop.

(The Examiner. Thanks, Miracle Max!)

that is one of the best ones yet.

Kevin Butler, I love you.

That's it, I'm making a user group fanclub for this guy! He is too good not to be loved!

i love those damn commercials

This is the best SONY propaganda I've ever seen. Seriously, this guy is quickly becoming the "Justin Long" for the PS3.

It won't be long now until Sam Raimi puts him in a movie...

I love these commercials. A part of me will die when they stop making them.

Well played Sony..

I'm not a Sony fan, but I've loved everything that Kevin Butler has done. He's the best at spouting off irreverent facts and false history.

Grayjack:
I love these commercials. A part of me will doe when they stop making them.

You will turn into a female deer? Wow, you do love these commercials! I don't blame you though, the guy's great...

Captain Blackout:

Grayjack:

You will turn into a female deer? Wow, you do love these commercials! I don't blame you though, the guy's great...

Damn my misspelling. >.>

Captain Blackout:

Grayjack:

Ahaha, spelling errors beware!

I love all of these commercials, form the one where he says 'two words, mon-tage' to the one where he holds the puppy that licks the guys wife's face, they are all hilarious.

Kevin Butler.

He single-handedly ensured that I will get a PS3 when I get another job.

Two words: Mont. Age.

Kevin Butler really is the VP of Epic Footage.

Another awesome commercial. Butler has to be the best thing to happen to PS3, much less any commercial really.

Rutawitz:

They are certainly entertaining!

kevin butler is almost in the same league as BILLY MAYS

I love the Kevin Butler commercials. He is a massive improvement from those disturbing white room ads that Sony rolled out when the PS3 was launched. This is, indeed, another great sign that Sony has finally gotten their shit together. Regarding this commercial, is this going to be a yearly sort of thing because they made a Kevin Butler commercial for 09: The Show last year with Dustin Pedroia.

He has a charisma and off-the-cuff attitude that suits him well to these roles.

I'd love to keep seeing more.

Onyx Oblivion:
Kevin Butler.

He single-handedly ensured that I will get a PS3 when I get another job.

Two words: Mont. Age.

ugly arse BC rich...
and why the hell was he playing guitar, if he was playing bass, I might have bought a PS3.

I do not own a PS3 but I have always liked these commercials. This last one is probably my favorite.

OK, I'm going to come right out and ask:

What do you all think is so funny?

These commercials aren't funny, they're lame! Kevin Butler, playing the role of Anderson Cooper's fat cousin, argues back and forth with a disgruntled PS3 owner, usually in an obstinate manner that makes him look more like an asshole than a witty executive. In this one, he's arguing with Mauer, who won AL MVP on the strength of being the only good player on a mediocre Twins team. The exchange between the two isn't amusing or clever, it's just stupid. "LOLZ I HAZ PIKCHURZ" "NO U DUN I IZ NOT ALLOW'D IN MEXZIKO U NUB"

How does this translate to sales? Where's the funny? WHERE'S THE BEEF!? I guess Sony gets credit because it's not quite as bad as two Japanese men traipsing into somebody's house to play video games and fiddle around with Wii-motes in a spastic fashion, or a creepy old lady extolling the virtues of "more fun time", but come on! They could do so much better.

I really enjoy these commercials, I hope they make more.

Fox242:
I love the Kevin Butler commercials. He is a massive improvement from those disturbing white room ads that Sony rolled out when the PS3 was launched. This is, indeed, another great sign that Sony has finally gotten their shit together. Regarding this commercial, is this going to be a yearly sort of thing because they made a Kevin Butler commercial for 09: The Show last year with Dustin Pedroia.

God, the old commercials were terrible. They might actually be the reason I like the new ones so much.

Veishan:
OK, I'm going to come right out and ask:

What do you all think is so funny?

These commercials aren't funny, they're lame!

Different tastes perhaps? Incidentally, I also have a question for you. Why do you think it is that when gamers make fun of something they automatically go into that "1337 speak" stereotype even if it in no way correlates to what was actually being said. Such as when you said:

Veishan:
"LOLZ I HAZ PIKCHURZ" "NO U DUN I IZ NOT ALLOW'D IN MEXZIKO U NUB"

I'm not trying to be patronizing, I'm honestly curious. Many people seem to do this and I'm just very perplexed at why. Any thoughts?

Generator:

Different tastes perhaps? Incidentally, I also have a question for you. Why do you think it is that when gamers make fun of something they automatically go into that "1337 speak" stereotype even if it in no way correlates to what was actually being said.

You know how people make up voices for people when they're talking about how annoying said people are? Yeah, it's like that, except a gamer- and interwebs-tailored version.

At least that's why I do it. I can't speak for others.

Veishan:

Generator:

Different tastes perhaps? Incidentally, I also have a question for you. Why do you think it is that when gamers make fun of something they automatically go into that "1337 speak" stereotype even if it in no way correlates to what was actually being said.

You know how people make up voices for people when they're talking about how annoying said people are? Yeah, it's like that, except a gamer- and interwebs-tailored version.

At least that's why I do it. I can't speak for others.

Oh, I see. Well that makes sense, I suppose. It could just be that you don't like a certain aspect of the commercials and are, thusly, jaded on the thing as a whole. This has happened to me before many times. Then again, you might just have different tastes than other people here, and that's probably most likely.

What's a Joe Mauer? I've been out of baseball so long I still assume Piazza is the best catcher in the sport. And I used to follow the MLB so closely...

This one was good, but please never show the one with the disapointed kid or angry girlfriend ever again? Please?

...Wait.

Oh come on now. They're just recycling ads they did last year. They already did this with Dustin Pedroia for MLB '09 The Show. Granted the context was different but the spirit is the same.

Also throw me in on the "not getting it" side of the fence in regards to these ads. While I admit they're actually decent (and coming from Sony that's a surprise) they don't actually strike me as "funny" or "epic". The fact that they seem to think the formula for success with their sports games is "Insert disgruntled athlete, have Kevin Butler troll them", it's obvious they're already out of ideas.

Jaredin:

Rutawitz:

They are certainly entertaining!

I love these as well, they make my giggle so much.

That is a funny advert. I almost want that game... and butler in those pants...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here