Happy 10th Birthday, PlayStation 2

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Happy 10th Birthday, PlayStation 2

Ten years ago today, Sony's PlayStation 2 hit shelves in Japan in a launch that would go on to produce one of the most successful consoles of all time.

Final Fantasy X. Grand Theft Auto III. Guitar Hero. Silent Hill II. Kingdom Hearts. Gran Turismo 3. God of War. Metal Gear Solid 2.

All of these games are beloved in their own right, and all of them - and many more - had a home on Sony's PlayStation 2, the best-selling console of the last generation and easily a contender for the single best console ever.

First unveiled by Sony in 1999, the PS2 hit store shelves exactly ten years ago today, on March 4th, 2000. Though plagued by hardware shortages and a lack of good launch titles (hey, sound familiar to any other console launches? Oh, you mean all of them?), the system would end up rebounding to choke Sega's Dreamcast out of the market and leave Microsoft's Xbox and Nintendo's Gamecube soundly in its dust.

Later that year, the PS2 came to the West, hitting US and EU stores in October 26 and November 24, respectively, and went on to sell over 140 million units - so the next time Microsoft and Sony want you to believe that the PS3 and Xbox 360 are cool for selling however-many-they've-sold, tell them that they're just posers.

GTA: San Andreas was the console's best-selling title, followed by Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec and Gran Turismo 4.

Happy 10th birthday, PS2. Glad to see you're hanging in there.

Happy 10th birthday, PS2 I am s happy for you

Still after 10 years, the PS2 hasn't died, despite advances in technology, internet capabilities and market size, the PS2 is still the best console every created by mankind

I salute you PS2, you are an inspiration for all console developers and a holy relic in my gaming life

Happy Birthday! And still you get games released! Although, they are mainly crap.

Calumon: YAY! Happy Birthday! I made you a cookie, but I ate it. *Blushes*

Legendary Console, no doubt about it.

Happy bday. And where else can I play beatmania and frequency.

Happy Birthday Playstation 2. You total gaming legend!

There's a launch day one of these under my telly, does this mean I have to buy it a cake?

Happy birthday you little black box of life ruination.

*blows whistle* Lets have an epic party for a very epic gaming console..I'll bring the booze and cake.

Ooh nice. Happy birthday oh most unabandonable of consoles.

Even despite availability of more fancy tech, PS2 is still selling after all those years.

Playstation 2: the AK-47 of the gaming industry.

I'm going to go now. Have to arrange fizzy drink rain and invite Ratchet.

Happy Birthday PS2!

Well done on your accomplishments.

Now lets have the cake! (Hope its ice cream)

Epic

Defenetly one of the better consoles on the market!

Here's to you, and all the great games!

Man, that makes me feel old...I had a launch PS2, it gave up the ghost about 3 years ago...but still...it got me through the Junior and Leaving Cert and served as the entertainment system in the 8 or 9 different places I rented in between ages 18 and 24...

PS2 I salute thee!

[EDIT] Oh...and I'm gonna throw in wee argument starter, Shadow Of the Colossus was THE best game to grace the system. Bar none.

Ah, the PS2. A very good console, that tended to burn in the early days, but turned out to be awesome anyway.

Happy birthday, you little bastard!

Never actually owned a ps2 but the hours spent on my various friends of the year make this a day worth noting

Oh dear lord I'm old. Regardless Happy Birthday you Grandaddy of a console.

I honestly only feels like yesterday that this was out. God, I really miss those times.

Ahh, I love this console, I have so many great gaming memories.

Happy Birthday you sexy piece of hardware! <3

I swear if not for this the dreamcast would ha- HAPPY BIRTHDAY PS2!

Kollega:
Even despite availability of more fancy tech, PS2 is still selling after all those years.

Playstation 2: the AK-47 of the gaming industry.

That's a disturbingly accurate metaphor.

Also, happy birthday PS2, I still remember when I got you for Christmas along with FFX (for my brother), Kingdom Hearts, and Sly 2 (god that game was awesome, I'm tempted to try Infamous because of it). I'll celebrate by finally getting around to playing Persona 3 & 4, among a hell of a lot of other games.

I miss my PS2 - I find it hard to believe that it's 10 years old though. I got my in 2002 (it broke) and I got another one in about 2003 which I still have but my evil sister has stolen it. It still works though. A true fighter.

Happy birthday PS2... In fact I'm going to hug mine right now... Then probably play it... Or admire it...

EDIT:Awesome ps2 ad:

Generic_Dave:
[EDIT] Oh...and I'm gonna throw in wee argument starter, Shadow Of the Colossus was THE best game to grace the system. Bar none.

Gotta go with Ico, but Shadow of the Colossus is top 5.

OT - Happy birthday, PS2!

I am starting to feel old...lol

Chipperz:

Generic_Dave:

Gotta go with Ico, but Shadow of the Colossus is top 5.

OT - Happy birthday, PS2!

I got a lend of Ico after I played Shadow and couldn't get into it...I played for about and hour and interest...dunno why...

Maybe it was the lack of a horse...I loved that horse...Argo how I miss you.

Generic_Dave:
Man, that makes me feel old...I had a launch PS2, it gave up the ghost about 3 years ago...but still...it got me through the Junior and Leaving Cert and served as the entertainment system in the 8 or 9 different places I rented in between ages 18 and 24...

PS2 I salute thee!

No, it was THE best game of all the last gen.

Happy birthday PS2, you glorious console. Now stop trying to assassinate your younger brother (I know the whole PS3pocalypse was his fault).

Generic_Dave:

I have just started playing that game through again, I had forgotten how amazing it was.

Happy Birthday, PS2!

You know, I can't imagine what my life would be like if I hadn't bought a PS2 as soon as it became available. I have so many pleasant memories of holing myself up in my room and playing Final Fantasy X, Star Ocean, Kingdom Hearts, Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, Devil May Cry 1-3, and so many other great games until the wee hours of the morning. I was only 11 when I first got mine, and it made me the envy of my friends (so much so that it was the only thing that got taken from us when our house got burglarized three years later!). I remember the first game I played on it: Armored Core 2. It wasn't particularly great, but back then you just had to be in awe of the graphics on that one. October of 2000...wasn't the world so much simpler back then?

I won't try to start a fight about Shadow of the Colossus, but suffice to say I found the game...lacking.

Wow... 10 years...
Happy B-day PS2!

And its still going. No small feat.

Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Daxter were my favorite games on the console.

Cool. Had some good times with that machine. Still a great piece of tech.

We love you PS1 oh wait PS2 blows :p PS1 ftw :D

Happy Birthday. Never saw a console make it 10 years. I grew up on it since I was 4.

To be honest, if this was the gamecube or the Original Xbox, I'd be screaming on the top of my lungs about why it just wouldn't die. Cheers.

i love the ps2 beacuse it had the last actualy good crash bandicoot game on it (a platformer not some crappy 3d battle.... thing) *sniff* i miss crash bandicoot as a platformer
anyway happy birthday ps2

Quick!, someone get him a cake!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook